Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

reminder that there is a neat map in the OP

https://www.zeemaps.com/SA_Mafia

also idk but I find things like tours and cruises to be kinda, like, stressful and constrictive? like what if I want to stay somewhere a few days longer, or another place is super boring? I like flexibility when I travel.

Mafia players I have been near*:
Met, Quidnose, merk, Pander, Opopanax (Victoria not Calgary), Murmur Twin, the bunch of New yorkers, Mills, Bowmore, FV, busb.

*Near defined very broadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like guided vacations because if left to my own devices I wouldn't see half as much as what I see with them. They really are designed for maximum time spent looking at interesting things, even if its the standard tourist.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 27, 2020

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

that's fair, different strokes and all that. when I vacation I usually only have a hostel and a plane ticket and nothing else planned or booked, which works for me really well but when I describe it to friends some of them get anxiety-by-proxy.

Yeah that sounds like something out of a nightmare.

One of my only recurring dreams is a dream of traveling while being unprepared. I'll discover that my plane leaves in an hour and I'm not packed, or I'll arrive and won't know where to go or what to do.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I like planning my own holidays. Figuring out what cities to stay in, for how long, etc etc. based on what I want to do. I usually do very outdoorsy stuff so it boils down to "I want to visit these locations and take photos. Do these walks. Go rafting or something here". Usually lots of driving, which I don't mind that much at all.
But the last one I did I went to an island for 7 days first, and I just booked activites while I was there - diving / snorkeling trips etc. I kind of got bored of the island. After the island we went driving through a rainforest and all was good again.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

that's fair, different strokes and all that. when I vacation I usually only have a hostel and a plane ticket and nothing else planned or booked, which works for me really well but when I describe it to friends some of them get anxiety-by-proxy.

That sounds pretty good to me; I like the idea of just driving / flying somewhere then finding a place when I get there, but my next trip is during the holiday season so I wouldn't leave it to chance that there would be any vacancies around. One day.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

EccoRaven posted:

I am terrible at this because I am incapable of making friends with people. When I went to Spain I decided to push myself out of my comfort zone so I had a week of non-tour travel time where I went up to San Sebastian. It was a disaster. I ended up in a hostel room with a bunch of girls from Brisbane (where I live) except a decade younger than me who kept thinking we would know people in common, even though I didn't grow up there, and kept throwing out names of random people expecting me to know them and being incredibly puzzled when I didn't. If I had actually spent any time with them I would probably have killed them.

At least on a tour I know I'm not eating dinner alone, and there are always a couple of people I get on with really well. I've only had one tour with an incompatible mix of people and it only lasted 7 days.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I haven't been on a vacation since I was a kid and I wouldn't change that even if the trips were free.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

BottleKnight posted:

I haven't been on a vacation since I was a kid and I wouldn't change that even if the trips were free.

Why?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I've never booked more then hotels for trips, i like the idea that i have the freedom to do what i want each day without being penned in by pre-determined plans.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For me, where I went made a huge difference. Growing up, I took some vacations with my family and with my ex, but it wasn't until my wife and I went to Tokyo this last year that I finally found myself immediately wanting to go back as soon as we returned. (We're planning our next trip for spring of this coming year :3:)

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Opopanax posted:

I'm assuming this giant stack of comics I came home to is from my SS here since the BSS one's already wrapped up. Excellent taste, friendo!

That's from me!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I take plenty of day trips and such, I'm not a hermit, but overall I don't like tourism. Pictures are good enough for me. I don't like being constantly disoriented, frustrated and crowded. Being a standard tourist visiting touristy things is just annoying and, to me at least, largely fruitless.

I'd cross the world to visit a friend and see how they live and have them introduce me to their slice of life. But a standard vacation sounds horrible.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

I take plenty of day trips and such, I'm not a hermit, but overall I don't like tourism. Pictures are good enough for me. I don't like being constantly disoriented, frustrated and crowded. Being a standard tourist visiting touristy things is just annoying and, to me at least, largely fruitless.

I'd cross the world to visit a friend and see how they live and have them introduce me to their slice of life. But a standard vacation sounds horrible.

There are some exceptions. I went to DC and saw Alcatraz when I was a kid and both of those owned. But the only other thing I really want to see in person is the Hollywood sign up-close, so we'll see.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think you're crazy, but I really like going on guided vacations to places that are incredibly historically interesting. Like in high school we went to England and France and visited castles and war sites, things like that. When I went to Greece with my mom it was a history based tour where we saw things thousands of years old all across that country. Hanging around with a friend or being there on our own we wouldn't have been able to see a fraction of what we saw. The guided tour getting you up in the morning and taking the bus somewhere and not having to worry about anything at all is so wonderful. It's completely hassle free.

For me, I see no point at all in beach/resort vacations. I have no idea why people go to all these different places (and insist on going to different places each time) to go sit in a resort or maybe possibly on a private beach. You can do that anywhere, there's no need to travel to new exciting locations when you are going to see exactly none of it because you will never leave the resort (and it might be dangerous to leave the resort).

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
If i even go anywhere at all on vacations its going to be going out to the woods and camping or hunting or fishing or some mix of all three at a lake.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I work tomorrow night and am super impatient, so I opened my Secret gift a little early.

That is an almost absurd number of plastic bugs. I wonder which I should eat first!

Thanks, Met!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Edit: Deleted in case you didn't open yet!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ummmmmmmm

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Asiina posted:

I think you're crazy, but I really like going on guided vacations to places that are incredibly historically interesting. Like in high school we went to England and France and visited castles and war sites, things like that. When I went to Greece with my mom it was a history based tour where we saw things thousands of years old all across that country. Hanging around with a friend or being there on our own we wouldn't have been able to see a fraction of what we saw. The guided tour getting you up in the morning and taking the bus somewhere and not having to worry about anything at all is so wonderful. It's completely hassle free.

For me, I see no point at all in beach/resort vacations. I have no idea why people go to all these different places (and insist on going to different places each time) to go sit in a resort or maybe possibly on a private beach. You can do that anywhere, there's no need to travel to new exciting locations when you are going to see exactly none of it because you will never leave the resort (and it might be dangerous to leave the resort).

I'm a history person too. I love looking at ruins and old buildings and going to museums. Most people think this is weird, but I love it.

You should go to Egypt. I spent a week looking at ruins going "wow this is really cool" and then remembering that it was built 5000 years ago and having my mind blown.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaUqpnHvua8

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Guess BK was talking about two separate trips rather than having exceptional eyesight.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Also, I've been to Macchu Picchu and it is awesome, but I recommend hiking the Inca trail to get there. The hike is amazing (tough but amazing) and you get to spend more time at the actual site than people who catch the train in.

That tour gives you one day at MP, including time to get too and from Cusco, which is a 6 hour round trip. You've probably only got 4-5 hours at the site and if you want to do Huyana Picchu that isn't enough time.

A friend of mine recommended a tour company that does the Inca Trail and it seems a lot more like what I'm looking for

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Are you sure you don't want to make fun of busb in person? I'll find you a tour company that does that. Hold on a sec.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I'm a history person too. I love looking at ruins and old buildings and going to museums. Most people think this is weird, but I love it.

You should go to Egypt. I spent a week looking at ruins going "wow this is really cool" and then remembering that it was built 5000 years ago and having my mind blown.

Yeah that's what Greece was like. They let us sit on ruins thousands of years old, it was crazy.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

EccoRaven posted:

reminder that there is a neat map in the OP

https://www.zeemaps.com/SA_Mafia

also idk but I find things like tours and cruises to be kinda, like, stressful and constrictive? like what if I want to stay somewhere a few days longer, or another place is super boring? I like flexibility when I travel.

lol of course Mills lives in the eastern suburbs :allears:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

Guess BK was talking about two separate trips rather than having exceptional eyesight.

Correct.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
yes birb, nobody was surprised. Also i'm from fukken hornsby yewwww

can't do tours , but there is a 1 million dollar clock that hasn't ever worked.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Opopanax posted:

A friend of mine recommended a tour company that does the Inca Trail and it seems a lot more like what I'm looking for

If you're going to walk the trail you should do some reading up on the weather at different times of the year. I ended up going in April, which is when it can be coldest at night, but also the least likely to rain. It got very cold overnight (down to 0) but the days were in the 30's and it was great for hiking. The third day is the best because you're descending through the cloud forest and there is actually some shade.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I plan to travel extensively once I fake my own death.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I like to stay in authentic places when I go somewhere (or Airbnb) and wander around. I've gotten very lost in the past and it's a wonderful experience. I tend to hit touristy areas at least briefly, but there is something to be said for just meeting up with locals and doing poo poo.

I don't recommend it for anyone not 100% confident in their decisions, however.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kashuno posted:

I like to stay in authentic places when I go somewhere (or Airbnb) and wander around. I've gotten very lost in the past and it's a wonderful experience. I tend to hit touristy areas at least briefly, but there is something to be said for just meeting up with locals and doing poo poo.

I don't recommend it for anyone not 100% confident in their decisions, however.

There are some places i'd totally do this in but there are also many i wouldn't risk it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

There are some places i'd totally do this in but there are also many i wouldn't risk it.

I might hesitate in thailand or something, but I'm not really worried about risking it. Part of the fun. I went to Brazil and, while nights could be a bit sketchy, I had an amazing time and made a couple really cool friends!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kashuno posted:

I might hesitate in thailand or something, but I'm not really worried about risking it. Part of the fun. I went to Brazil and, while nights could be a bit sketchy, I had an amazing time and made a couple really cool friends!

I wouldn't in Columbia or some parts of Mexico or some parts of Africa. There's lots of places like that.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

I wouldn't in Columbia or some parts of Mexico or some parts of Africa. There's lots of places like that.

I think a lot of it is just knowing what you're doing. Don't go somewhere stupid, don't go out at night, and don't get played by obvious (and not so obvious) scams.

Probably one of my favorite scams is the "is this your wallet" scam. Someone will ask you if you dropped your wallet. Human instinct is to grab the pocket that you last put your wallet in, and then they follow you for a block or two and pickpocket you. Pretty smart.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

fiery_valkyrie posted:

If you're going to walk the trail you should do some reading up on the weather at different times of the year. I ended up going in April, which is when it can be coldest at night, but also the least likely to rain. It got very cold overnight (down to 0) but the days were in the 30's and it was great for hiking. The third day is the best because you're descending through the cloud forest and there is actually some shade.

I live in Canada, that sounds like very normal weather to me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm bored, someone should go in the DJ room and send me the link to the DJ room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Opopanax posted:

I live in Canada, that sounds like very normal weather to me.

Thats in celsius. Not sure what you guys use.