Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Darox posted:

Important zig enemies Shatter blows up in one cast: apoc crabs, hellions, tormentors, starcursed masses, torpor snails.
It also does huge damage to game-ending dangerous enemies chaos champions & warmongers, and super-tanks hell sentinels.
Also shatter with tornado support is the best solution for notedly dangerous tomb floors. And I'm probably forgetting other annoying enemies shatter wrecks.
Shatter is a great spell in zigs and extended, it's my go-to after I have firestorm up.

I never would have guessed that Shatter was effective against starcursed masses, since they look all blobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sorry, but Elyvilon is the actual most boring god (both new and old). At least Oka has the excitement of unlimited scrolls of disappointment to constantly be amazed by how terrible they are, and Ash has crazy skill boosts which kill you because you tunnel visioned into equipping a cursed ring of ice. Ely is literally just the god of heal wounds and sometimes telling a hydra to walk away.

Edit/FR: Undertale mercy system for Elyvilon.
You pet the warg. It was a good Warg.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 23, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Ely is more exciting than Oka because her best granted power is the ability to worship TSO or Zin

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Elyvilon also gives a remixed Death's Door that doesn't even require invocations training.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Humans Among Us posted:

Thank

meh doesnt same to work tho, tried a couple of variations

allow_self_target=yes works for me. Are you sure you're editing the correct rcfile? If you're unsure, try adding something like "lang=grunt" to test.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't given Ely another try since my 15 rune CeWr. It was so miserable it made me hate her but I think that was less her fault and more centaurs being horrid garbage.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Just started playing again for the first time in about 2 years and drat there are a lot of new fun things to mess around with.

Trying out the new gods at the moment, Ru is so stupid. At least so far into this game:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.1 (console) character file.

Bryant the Executioner (Hill Orc Fighter)          Turns: 52510, Time: 03:04:28

Health: 189/189    AC: 25    Str: 28    XL:     20   Next: 0%
Magic:  29/29      EV:  9    Int:  8    God:    Ru [******]
Gold:   2169       SH: 17    Dex: 10    Spells: 0 memorised, 19 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .     l - +8 broad axe {speed, MR+ Str+2}
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     B - +2 plate armour {MR+}
rNeg   . . .     SustAt   .     R - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois  .         Gourm    .     K - +2 hat
rElec  .         Spirit   .     v - +1 cloak
rCorr  .         Warding  .     (no gloves)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     e - +0 pair of boots {Fly}
MR     +++++                    O - amulet of clarity
Stlth  ..........               W - ring of protection from magic
                                w - +4 ring of evasion

@: flying, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely
unstealthy
A: screaming 1, weak 1, inability to read while threatened, hated by all,
inability to train dodging, no charms magic, no hexes magic, no ice magic, slow
reflexes 1
a: Draw Out Power, Power Leap, Apocalypse, Renounce Religion, Stop Flying
}: 1/15 runes: decaying

You are on level 4 of the Vaults.
You worship Ru.
Ru is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 5 branches of the dungeon, and seen 32 of its levels.
You have also visited: Ossuary and Volcano.

You have collected 2931 gold pieces.
You have spent 762 gold pieces at shops.

Skills:
 + Level 18.8 Fighting
 * Level 21.7 Axes
 + Level 10.0 Bows
 + Level 15.5 Armour
 + Level 16.1 Shields
 + Level 12.1 Evocations

I have been tabbing through everything up to vault 4 so far and it has been a massacre. Most hilarious thing being hydras 1 shotting themselves due to Ru's aura. Apocalypse is also an awesome panic button.

I can't see it working for extended though so just going to try to grab 3 runes and bail.

Nique fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 23, 2015

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I've been fiddling with wizmode and I have to say that it's complete bullshit that the game doesn't just tell you some of the hard numbers that only appear in wizmode. Especially things like your move and attack speeds with @ which you can check by just moving/attacking. Exact numbers for spell power is another that should be there, as well as being able to see your exact piety and the GDR of armour.

I remember one character where I thought my spell power was lacking and I needed another enhancer because I was missing the final pip, but looking at it in wizmode it turned out I was actually at 199/200 power and only needed another point of int, instead of around 160~ power where you get the second to last #.

I'm sure there are some arguments for why those numbers are not there but if you made it an rcfile option I think 99% of the people who knew that it existed would turn it on.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Darox posted:

I've been fiddling with wizmode and I have to say that it's complete bullshit that the game doesn't just tell you some of the hard numbers that only appear in wizmode. Especially things like your move and attack speeds with @ which you can check by just moving/attacking. Exact numbers for spell power is another that should be there, as well as being able to see your exact piety and the GDR of armour.

I remember one character where I thought my spell power was lacking and I needed another enhancer because I was missing the final pip, but looking at it in wizmode it turned out I was actually at 199/200 power and only needed another point of int, instead of around 160~ power where you get the second to last #.

I'm sure there are some arguments for why those numbers are not there but if you made it an rcfile option I think 99% of the people who knew that it existed would turn it on.

What's that, turn all numbers into bars instead? You got it!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Floodkiller posted:

What's that, turn all numbers into bars instead? You got it!
HP will now be represented with the Universal Pain Assessment Chart instead of hard numbers.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Somehow I've finally got a FoFi^Qaz up and running because I wanted to do a stupid noisy shieldy disaster area build and it's amazingly fun. If I survive my current predicament, how can I move this guy into extended (if possible)? First thing I maxed was Invocations, and right now I have enough enchant weapons scrolls to max something out, but I don't know if I should just max out a freezing batleaxe or hold out hope I'll find an executioner's axe. Resistances are pretty good at the moment, so what do I focus on right now, beyond clearing my way to the orb vault?

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Fhqwhgads/Fhqwhgads.txt

code:
Fhqwhgads the Formicid Cataclysm (FoFi)            Turns: 52363, Time: 03:04:12

Health: 227/227    AC: 40    Str: 35    XL:     27
Magic:  40/40      EV: 22    Int: 11    God:    Qazlal [*****.]
Gold:   5032       SH: 35    Dex: 21    Spells: 1 memorised, 25 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis +    a - +0 battleaxe (freeze)
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    E - +12 plate armour "Cohometo" {rN+ Dex+3}
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    v - +1 large shield {rF+}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    (helmet unavailable)
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    Y - +2 cloak of the Turtledove {*Contam rCorr Str+5 Dex+2}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    N - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    t - +2 pair of boots
MR     ++...                    p - +3 amulet of reflection
Stlth  ..........               J - ring of Danoxall {-Tele rElec rPois rF+ Int+2 SInv}
                                c - ring "Heint" {Wiz -Tele rC++ rN+}
Also, getting malmuted by a summoned demon is bullshit, especially with no more rMut. Preaching to the choir there I'm sure.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

allow_self_target=yes works for me. Are you sure you're editing the correct rcfile? If you're unsure, try adding something like "lang=grunt" to test.

Aye i can directly target myself. BUT i still get a prompt if i bounce lightning off a wall onto myself.

Think i might just bind Y to y to make it flow better. Thanks anyway :)

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 23, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Somehow I've finally got a FoFi^Qaz up and running because I wanted to do a stupid noisy shieldy disaster area build and it's amazingly fun. If I survive my current predicament, how can I move this guy into extended (if possible)? First thing I maxed was Invocations, and right now I have enough enchant weapons scrolls to max something out, but I don't know if I should just max out a freezing batleaxe or hold out hope I'll find an executioner's axe. Resistances are pretty good at the moment, so what do I focus on right now, beyond clearing my way to the orb vault?

If you are dedicated to Qaz in Extended as a Formicid, I would work on getting Death's Door/Borgs going to have good panic buttons when you need to escape. Upheaval is really good for taking out tormentors, hellions, and most Fiends (not Hell Sentinels so much), so you don't need a ranged attack as much. Whatever you do, save Abyss until you absolutely have to, because it will be an absolute nightmare with both Qaz and a Formicid unless you get really lucky. Also, probably enchant the battleaxe and just suck it up later if you find an exec axe.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I've never played with Necromancy. Would be interesting, and I certainly have enough HP to burn some maxHP in an emergency...

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've never played with Necromancy. Would be interesting, and I certainly have enough HP to burn some maxHP in an emergency...

Is there not a better freezing battleaxe from an ice giant or something? That way you could enchant it plus save some scrolls for if you do find an executioners axe.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Is there not a better freezing battleaxe from an ice giant or something? That way you could enchant it plus save some scrolls for if you do find an executioners axe.

I have a +2 in Lair I think, and like 11 scrolls. So I should probably just burn this one up to +9, huh?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Alternatively check out the floating weapon emporium of Elf:2 and see if you can find a bloodthirsty executioner's axe in the mix.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sage Grimm posted:

Alternatively check out the floating weapon emporium of Elf:2 and see if you can find a bloodthirsty executioner's axe in the mix.

Am I the only one that finds the Hall of Blades one of the most consistently dangerous places in crawl? The amount of times I've popped my head in to try and snag an executioner's axe and had to panic blink/haste away from latajangs of speed or other similarly deadly pieces of equipment is many!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

FulsomFrank posted:

Am I the only one that finds the Hall of Blades one of the most consistently dangerous places in crawl? The amount of times I've popped my head in to try and snag an executioner's axe and had to panic blink/haste away from latajangs of speed or other similarly deadly pieces of equipment is many!

It usually is, and I've checked it out. No exe axe's, sadly.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah I rarely go in there myself for the same reason. But Fhqwhgads already went through Vaults without finding an exec axe off one of the vault guards which is where I'd normally try first.

There's also looking to find a holy-branded battleaxe for Pan/Hell.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah I rarely go in there myself for the same reason. But Fhqwhgads already went through Vaults without finding an exec axe off one of the vault guards which is where I'd normally try first.

There's also looking to find a holy-branded battleaxe for Pan/Hell.

Orc usually has enough glowy battleaxes that one of them might be holy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Assuming you have min delay for both, which does more damage to a single target; an executioner's axe or a great mace?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Internet Kraken posted:

Assuming you have min delay for both, which does more damage to a single target; an executioner's axe or a great mace?

Almost certainly the executioner's axe. Great mace is -4 acc/17 dam; exec is -6/18. The old rule of thumb was that two points of accuracy were worth about one point of damage enchantment, and at 26 axe skill, one more base damage is worth something like two points of damage enchantment; so the exec axe will be slightly better than the great mace, a little less than one point of slaying's worth.

...which is to say, enchantment, brand, and of course the cleaving are probably more important here.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Poking around with Kobold Hunters with crossbows -- first run wasn't too bad. Made it to lair, but never got an upgrade on weapon or much for armor, so was easy pickings.

Trying again!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Enter Zot to be jumped by 3 death cobs. Immediately hit starving and probably barely escaped. Not a fan of that mechanic.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Fhqwhgads posted:

Enter Zot to be jumped by 3 death cobs. Immediately hit starving and probably barely escaped. Not a fan of that mechanic.

I've not had them be more than a mild annoyance yet.

Maybe because I usually have decent evasion and a shield in Zot. Pure AC characters are definitely going to find them more annoying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I almost died to a death cob in zot the other day. Not from the starvation, since I was a ghoul, but rather because it wouldn't die and I was somehow taking a ton of damage from it. I sat there thinking to myself "am I really in danger of dying to a loving death cob".

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I don't know the new amulets and am doing some zig diving. I've been wearing a +3 amulet of reflection pretty much all game and haven't ever given it a second thought. Just found this in a zig

the amulet of Cekugob {Dismiss -Tele rElec rPois rN++ AC+1 EV+1}

I'm a Fo, so -Tele is a nonissue, but how is Dismissal? I've never dealt with it yet. It would give me full rNeg, that's really the only thing I can see that would be an improvement over my current gear. The AC/EV is a nice bonus though?

Well, or an amulet of the four winds. That MR and Clarity might be worth losing the reflection?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 24, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Playing as a demonspawn Ru... sacrifice stealth... then get the stealth mutation on the next level.. :sigh:

e: At lvl 3 nightstalker now, this loving sucks

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 24, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm a Fo, so -Tele is a nonissue, but how is Dismissal? I've never dealt with it yet. It would give me full rNeg, that's really the only thing I can see that would be an improvement over my current gear. The AC/EV is a nice bonus though?

Dismissal is fine for extended. You don't need to worry about exp and don't care about uniques getting teleported away since you're just after their runes. I doubt it will help much in a zig since the enemies aren't gonna lose track of you, but it will be very nice when the chaff you have to slog through is getting poofed away occasionally.

mitztronic posted:

Playing as a demonspawn Ru... sacrifice stealth... then get the stealth mutation on the next level.. :sigh:

Nightstalker is awesome even without stealth though!

VVV Monster LOS, in almost every circumstance, is your LOS. If a monster can't see you, it can't do anything to you. So limiting your LOS effectively means less stuff can be onscreen trying to kill you. This is only a downside for you if you're a character that primarily attacks from maximum LOS range.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 24, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Internet Kraken posted:

Nightstalker is awesome even without stealth though!

Does it also reduce monster LOS??!?!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It's the same thing (mostly). If you can't see them they probably can't hurt you.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Unless they are invisible.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

mitztronic posted:

Does it also reduce monster LOS??!?!

Monster LOS in Crawl is based on -your- LOS. If you can't see them, they can't see you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
As far as I know, the only way a monster outside of your LOS can hurt you is by casting an AOE spell at an ally that also hits you. Barely anything can do this though. The best example I can think of is Jorgrun since shatter has a massive AOE and he will happily cast it to kill a butterfly. I actually lost a felid to him because he used shatter to blow me up from behind a wall while trying to murder something I summoned.

Note that this is just a side effect of the way AOEs work. If Jorgrun wasn't able to see me or any of my allies, he would never cast shatter. Limiting your LOS is the best way to avoid damage.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The new deep elves will summon earth eles at you from out of LoS, and the deep trolls will dig at you. Neither of those do direct damage though, I guess.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Merry Christmas commits! :siren:

• Neqoadfioenroas have had their spawn rates slashed, because of their non-presence beyond mutation.
  • Potions of cure mutation are vastly more common, to make up for the lack of resist mutation amulets... though I'm sure you'll be devastated to know that degeneration potions have been made rarer to make up for it.
  • It's Christmas! Cocytus has been properly identified as the North Pole. Play a Skald, sing your Sleighing Song. Elves and Antaeus have their festive hats. Get insulted by something calling you "naughty" or accusing you of being "present-wrapping".

This is notably missing the necessary Lair spawns of reindeer and red-nosed reindeer. :mad:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh cool, potions of flight are even more rare to make that pointless change more annoying. Why are potions of degeneration even a thing anyways?

Overall I'm not seeing what has been gained by the removal of rMut still. Feels like the rest of the game is being changed to accommodate it slightly, but not enough to actually address the core issues surrounding the whole mutation system.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Having no rMut is a bitch when you have to facetank 4 Orbs of Fire at a time in Zot:5. Even with a +9 Exe Axe of Freezing I ate far too many mutations. But I finally got my shieldy disastery area-y Qaz character finished! I had all the resists for extended, but intrinsic statis worried me too much to try.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Fhqwhgads/morgue-Fhqwhgads-20151224-015108.txt

Edit: That was 9(!) OoF in Zot. Goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

quote:

Killed from afar by a hobgoblin (19 damage)
... with an exploding inner flame
... hexed by the player character
... on level 2 of the Dungeon.
Oh so that's what a scroll of immolation does :downs:

And then my SpEn died to a blink frog critting twice after misfire.
argh.

• Locked thread