Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jace isn't broken, it's a beautiful baby and Magic deserves more cards like it, not less

What they should actually apologize for is making a lovely standard around the cool, fairly powered card

I agree.

Looking forward to the return of innistrad has me worried a little bit. The set has had a huge impact on modern and the power level is definitely way out of standards range of the past few years. If lily, snapcaster, and the gang aren't reprinted modern prices could spike hard again on the non-reprinted staples. Innistrad was a really fun time for magic for me and I am sure others agree that we need to revisit that level of power again.

If zendicar is any indication, things aren't looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm just gonna go on record now and say SoI is the worst magic set ever, excepting maybe Homelands. None of the cards are as powerful as original Innistrad, except the ones that are and those are just way too powerful like seriously what were they thinking?

It's also got the worst standard environment ever (like seriously, I can't even play 4-5 colors anymore? What kind of junk is this). Clearly this set was rushed out and poorly designed. And don't even get me started on draft, by far the worst drafting experience I've ever had (and I've drafted triple Fallen Empires!).

It's too bad, magic was a good game but it's clearly just going downhill now, I'd expect nobody to be playing in a couple months or so, that's how bad this set is.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

alansmithee posted:

I'm just gonna go on record now and say SoI is the worst magic set ever, excepting maybe Homelands. None of the cards are as powerful as original Innistrad, except the ones that are and those are just way too powerful like seriously what were they thinking?

It's also got the worst standard environment ever (like seriously, I can't even play 4-5 colors anymore? What kind of junk is this). Clearly this set was rushed out and poorly designed. And don't even get me started on draft, by far the worst drafting experience I've ever had (and I've drafted triple Fallen Empires!).

It's too bad, magic was a good game but it's clearly just going downhill now, I'd expect nobody to be playing in a couple months or so, that's how bad this set is.

This, but ironically.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

alansmithee posted:

You've handed me the template. Good.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

alansmithee posted:

You had me up until you implied that they were going to walk back the 4-color paradigm anytime soon. Pfffff, haha, as if.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
If they don't bring back Flashback, I'll be sad.

If they do bring back madness, I'll be very, very happy. I want a standard where Jace is used in an entirely separate manner, to discard madness cards instead of just trying to fill up the graveyard for delve and flashback purposes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GeneX posted:

If they do bring back madness, I'll be very, very happy. I want a standard where Jace is used in an entirely separate manner, to discard madness cards instead of just trying to fill up the graveyard for delve and flashback purposes.

Jace shits on KTK standard like this, but he shits on SOI standard like this

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The 4-color environment we have now only exists because of the combination of fetches + fetchable duals. What could SoI possibly include that would keep manafixing at that level?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The 4-color environment we have now only exists because of the combination of fetches + fetchable duals. What could SoI possibly include that would keep manafixing at that level?

Hopefully nothing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

enemy fetches :laffo:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

My other concern is that a lot of the vaguely playable mechanics from BFZ seem to rely on Fetches to be playable in one way or another. The big converge spells like Bring to Light are going to be really hard to build around without crazy rainbow manabases, and even simpler stuff like Landfall gets a lot of its power from being able to hit two triggers per turn and get them at instant speed.

I'm not pining for 4-color standard by any means, but it seems odd that they'd make a bunch of set mechanics that rely on a support base which is about to rotate out.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Entropic posted:

Everything I've heard about MTGO dev is that they have one team doing something that should be separated among 2 or 3 teams. Like there's no reason you should be taking people away from network stability troubleshooting to test rules code for a bunch of new cards every set, but apparently they just have one MTGO team that does everything and never has time to properly focus on major improvements because they're in constant deadline panic.

They still treat MTGO like a novel little side-project that they're doing in-house with a small team when really it should be spun off into a whole department of its own with like 3x the staff. And the backend probably ought to be redone from scratch but that's such a gargantuan task now that they're never going to do it.

Yeah, the obvious solution to a problem like this at a managerial level is hire more staff, and by all reports they have plenty of money to do so, but they (or, say, Hasbro) refuse. That's the baffling part.

Also if the system was architectured in an intelligent way, changing the backend, while perhaps difficult, should not actually interfere with the system that the clients experience. It seems more likely that Hasbro/WotC are too stingy to spend money on the hardware to sit a new server deployment on (and the people to make it).

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Interesting quote by Toby Elliott:

So I guess don't duscuss leaks in secret FB cabals ok?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

So I got like three paragraphs in and thought to myself, man is this guy going to go all out and give some random kid a bunch of decks and dice and stuff for Christmas? And then I looked at the username and said out loud "oh it's MTGS yeah no gently caress those guys."

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Procrastinator posted:

Yeah, the obvious solution to a problem like this at a managerial level is hire more staff, and by all reports they have plenty of money to do so, but they (or, say, Hasbro) refuse. That's the baffling part.

Also if the system was architectured in an intelligent way, changing the backend, while perhaps difficult, should not actually interfere with the system that the clients experience. It seems more likely that Hasbro/WotC are too stingy to spend money on the hardware to sit a new server deployment on (and the people to make it).

I'm assuming they just don't see the benefit in improving it since it's already making GBS threads out money. I would've thought that they'd see a sales drop and/or the crap quality of MTGO would force their hand to upgrade, but that was 5 years ago and it's still chugging along so I guess idk. Maybe Hearthstone and it's copiers will force their hand but I'm not sure those are even all that direct of competitors.

Also this problem just kinda snowballs. Like if you have a bad infrastructure, the longer you wait and the more you keep developing on top of it the more expensive it becomes to actually fix. Since I assume if they did upgrade their team one of the first goals would be to essentially replace the current system (or at least do enough upgrades that it's virtually a replacement).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FordCQC posted:

Interesting quote by Toby Elliott:

So I guess don't duscuss leaks in secret FB cabals ok?

I'm going to try and get myself into as many FB wizard groups as possible and see how many it takes to get a temp/perma ban. This might take several years though and Maro might've finished killing magic by then.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

My guess to the source of Wizards' problems, based on the glassdoor reviews and their general business practice is that there's a really low turnover rate in the high-management positions, and the execs have huge egos and aren't willing to admit that they might have made mistakes in how they staff the MTGO project, so now it just has to continue that way until they leave/get kicked out by Hasbro. It also seems like their HR department is pretty hosed up which probably contributes.
I don't know if I buy that their programmers are actually significantly worse than average, tons of people want a job at Wizards (because they don't know what working there is really like, but still), and people take pay hits all the time to work at a place that seems cool.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Voyager I posted:

My other concern is that a lot of the vaguely playable mechanics from BFZ seem to rely on Fetches to be playable in one way or another. The big converge spells like Bring to Light are going to be really hard to build around without crazy rainbow manabases, and even simpler stuff like Landfall gets a lot of its power from being able to hit two triggers per turn and get them at instant speed.

I'm not pining for 4-color standard by any means, but it seems odd that they'd make a bunch of set mechanics that rely on a support base which is about to rotate out.
The other stuff will probably become better once standard is no longer being dominated by 3 colour cards.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GeneX posted:

I still think the actual way Madness works is a bit too wonky to come back.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

If madness comes in, we better get a discard fueled Chandra. Maybe then she'll finally be good.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Ramos posted:

If madness comes in, we better get a discard fueled Chandra. Maybe then she'll finally be good.

We're getting a six mana one that let's you discard your entire hand. If SoI has madness or lots of flashback she might be more playable than people think.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I started playing the game in Odyssey block and quit during Onslaught block so bringing back Madness would be a loving sweet nostalgia trip for me.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

Is there an actual good reason they can't just clean it up a bit? Do they just hate referring to the stack that much?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
They should print a 3 mana Chandra that has jaya Ballard task mage abilities without the discard thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

They should print a 3 mana Chandra that has jaya Ballard task mage abilities without the discard thing.

+1: Destroy target blue permanent

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

+1: Destroy target blue permanent

So I can kill islands?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Molybdenum posted:

+1 Pyroblast
-2 Incinerate
-5 Inferno

3 starting loyalty

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Actually that card's really funny because it would be super dead on an empty board and even more dead against a non-blue deck

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

TheKingofSprings posted:

Actually that card's really funny because it would be super dead on an empty board and even more dead against a non-blue deck
Well you could still uptick it. Pyroblast is "destroy target permanent if it's blue" -- basically same as new Jace's plus ability on an empty board.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, but couldn't they just change it to a replacement effect? (As in, a new mechanic that works the way people think madness does, sort of like converge vs. sunburst)

eg. something like "if you would discard X, you may instead pay Z mana and cast X."

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
1RR
+1 Shock
-2 Flames of the Firebrand
-4 Emblem that pings whenever you cast a spell.

Starts at 2 loyalty

Is that too good?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That would be extremely overpowered. Like all three of its abilities are straight-up stronger than LotV's.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Niton posted:

Is there an actual good reason they can't just clean it up a bit? Do they just hate referring to the stack that much?

Iirc it's kind of wonky because you end up casting spells in the middle of other spells and that gets pretty confusing for a lot of players. They could definitely redo it though, I reckon.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jace isn't broken, it's a beautiful baby and Magic deserves more cards like it, not less

What they should actually apologize for is making a lovely standard around the cool, fairly powered card

Yeah. Making interesting cards is a good thing. The problem arises when the interesting cards are fewer in number and significantly more powerful than their next closest replacement.

The world doesn't need another french vanilla 5/5 for 2GG sitting in the rare slot.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

cheetah7071 posted:

Here's your daily reminder not to play magic.

Saffron Olive articles keep pulling me back in. I hate that guy.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Mr. Jive posted:

I love him but today in his cube video he kept drawing and playing "Kozileak" and driving me insane once again

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I think he's making a joke about Kozilek being a leaked card.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Four Forrest Gump forests.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

It may not be en masse - and it might certainly be a bit drastic - but there's already a number of judges resigning (and/or intentionally lapsing since it's renewal season) in light of SeaGate [we need a snappier name]. This amidst other talk like strikes/denial of judging services in some groups. I know there's other judges here, so I implore you all to think long on what you want to do in the fallout of this incident, since it's always sad to see fellow judges go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mr. Jive posted:

The most recent "Against the Odds" may well be the worst deck he's ever run.

• Locked thread