Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Beefstew posted:

Is it not super racist to conflate Taiwan with China (unless you're Chinese)?

Well gently caress, that's embarrassing, I ignorantly thought Taiwan was a Chinese territory. I am now reading the wikipedia article and educating my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

I'm really looking forward to these animators taking on Rogue One.

Jesus, I just looked at the cast, it's like Power Rangers plus Captain Planet casts put together.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zero VGS posted:

Jesus, I just looked at the cast, it's like Power Rangers plus Captain Planet casts put together.

...is that a good or bad thing? Because Felicity Jones and Donnie Yen alone gets me so hyped for the movie.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

If we need to list cool interesting things in the new movie I don't have to go any further than Poe Dameron. What a guy.

(I said this in GenChat, but there needs to be a 12-part Adventures of Poe Dameron serial.)

Also I really liked the space monsters Han was transporting. Big rolly balls of teeth and tentacles.

Going into this I was expecting a pretty boring stab at "dashing rogue", but Poe was so dashing he broke the dash ceiling and I just couldn't help but smile. I'd say he's the second-best casted character, before Kylo Ren but after Rey.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Poe Dameron shouldn't really work as a character, but Oscar Isaac's charm just propels him into awesomeness. I love that you can tell how much all the first timers loved and were excited to be doing this, to the point that it even infects noted curmudgeon Harrison Ford.

EDIT: Oh, god, I just realized how much I'm looking forward to seeing Mark Hamill bounce off of these kids. He's already kind of a spaz to begin with.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Remake "Starfighters of Adumar," but with Poe.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

...is that a good or bad thing? Because Felicity Jones and Donnie Yen alone gets me so hyped for the movie.

I was just saying they checked off every diversity box for the sake of it, and yeah I love Donnie too.

Phylodox posted:

EDIT: Oh, god, I just realized how much I'm looking forward to seeing Mark Hamill bounce off of these kids. He's already kind of a spaz to begin with.

Did anyone see Hamill in Sushi Girl? Easily the best part of that poor man's Reservoir Dogs. He plays an incredibly convincing crazy old gay mobster.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Hey where da Asians at?

Has the actors from one of the biggest Indonesian films ever in The Raid.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TG-Chrono posted:

Hey where da Asians at?

Has the actors from one of the biggest Indonesian films ever in The Raid.

One of which is in a Stormtrooper outfit and the rest of which are on screen for like 5 minutes total.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
It's refreshing that in this series we (probably) won't have a protagonist-tempted-by-the-dark-side storyline

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're mostly correct, but we should avoid ambiguity. The New Order are simply "Left-Fascist".

This doesn't mean anything

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Exclamation Marx posted:

It's refreshing that in this series we (probably) won't have a protagonist-tempted-by-the-dark-side storyline

No, we have an antagonist with literally the opposite.

And I love it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Phylodox posted:

Poe Dameron shouldn't really work as a character, but Oscar Isaac's charm just propels him into awesomeness. I love that you can tell how much all the first timers loved and were excited to be doing this, to the point that it even infects noted curmudgeon Harrison Ford.

So true. I wanted much more Poe and I can watch John Boyega and him bromance it up for an entire movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Consider that the rear end in a top hat in charge of the Jakku depot is probably the First Order's informant- he tries to buy the droid, he gets on the comm to some sinister people, suddenly the First Order knows where the droid is.

And what is he? A miser. A greedy paymaster who doles out crumbs of vacuum-sealed food crud and starts giving them less and less.

Hell, the First Order is basically in charge of this area, that's why there's a Resistance. So the First Order is cool with planets where what few resources exist are doled out by one person who has a monopoly on food.

What does that tell you about the First Order's politics?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Phylodox posted:

No, we have an antagonist with literally the opposite.

And I love it.

Yeah, I really like the reversal. There was a rumour ages ago that TFA's superweapon belonged to the Resistance, that would have been interesting too I think.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
are the trade federation dudes supposed to sound like someone making fun of asians?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

are the trade federation dudes supposed to sound like someone making fun of asians?

Yes.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I was 10 when revenge of the sith came out and thats the last time i watched anything star wars related till 7, this is really killing a lot of stuff i thought was cool and good in my childhood

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Exclamation Marx posted:

Yeah, I really like the reversal. There was a rumour ages ago that TFA's superweapon belonged to the Resistance, that would have been interesting too I think.

The resistance used that super weapon to down the shields of starkiller, instead of phasma.

I think they just decided to keep that for 8 or 9

Viller fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 24, 2015

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
edit: wrong star wars thread

CalmDownMate fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 24, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

jivjov posted:

Kylo is not a joke character. Is not presented as a joke character. Has no joking qualities about him. Stop making poo poo up that's not in any way supported by the film.

Yes he is lol.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

When Darth Vader 2 removes his mask and Adam Driver is the face underneath, skater mop and all, the film is telling a joke.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

net cafe scandal posted:

When Darth Vader 2 removes his mask and Adam Driver is the face underneath, skater mop and all, the film is telling a joke.

What does this even mean?

PunkBoy posted:

Remake "Starfighters of Adumar," but with Poe.

I would read that book til it disintegrated in my hands.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Haha the thing that got the most negative commentary from my friends after we saw it was when both Miles and the pilot (aka Matt from Heroes) both showed up in the same scene. It was like "well i guess JJ needs to take care of his people!"

That was weird.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

net cafe scandal posted:

You should do what i do and not watch any american television outside of sports and not pay attention to who actors are because then it's like they don't exist

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Beardy X-Wing pilot is one of the main characters from Aftermath, which is cool.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

You should do what i do and not watch any american television outside of sports and not pay attention to who actors are because then it's like they don't exist

I have to watch American television.. Im American.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Kylo Ren is the spiritual successor to Jar Jar Binks.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Kylo Ren is the spiritual successor to Jar Jar Binks.

Actually, I am.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'M JarJartacus!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The funniest part about people making fun of Kylo Ren for not being a badass Sith warrior is that Kylo Ren is them. They're making fun of themselves.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's a certain joke involved with Ren, I think.

Vader wore a mask because, well, he had to. Kylo chooses to because it makes him more like his idol.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Phylodox posted:

The funniest part about people making fun of Kylo Ren for not being a badass Sith warrior is that Kylo Ren is them. They're making fun of themselves.

Its insane that youre interpreting the discussion this way, but, youre definitely being trolled I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ren is absolutely a villain with funny moments (the Stormtrooper walking away scene) but he is not a joke villain.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

What does this even mean?

It means you were in a bad theater with a bad crowd, because you obviously didn't experience the laughs it got, or you wouldn't be asking.

(or when he has his first hissy fit, or when the stormtroopers awkwardly walk away from the second hissy fit, or when he said the line about being torn apart...)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Me and my buddy started cracking up at the dude who was sweating bullets who had to give Kylo some bad news. (don't know who he was; he looked like the similarly sweaty faced dude who Dent interrogates in the Dark Knight)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I love him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

It means you were in a bad theater with a bad crowd, because you obviously didn't experience the laughs it got, or you wouldn't be asking.

(or when he has his first hissy fit, or when the stormtroopers awkwardly walk away from the second hissy fit, or when he said the line about being torn apart...)

I've seen the movie 4 times now. Nobody has laughed at Kylo Ren at any showing I've been to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jivjov posted:

I've seen the movie 4 times now. Nobody has laughed at Kylo Ren at any showing I've been to.
Yeah, I've seen it 3 times and no one laughed at him at any of my showings either. I mean of course people laughed at the Stormtroopers running away from him because that's funny, but no one laughed at Ren himself, and I saw 3 different sold out showings.

Quit trying to prove your points, MisterBibs. They're so obviously wrong. Everyone is telling you they're wrong.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I definitely laughed at Ren's control room tantrum and I wasn't the only one. It's a funny scene and he's a fun character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

yeah same

• Locked thread