Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You people are weak. Gencon4lyf Car Crew 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Ugh, I also just checked flights and right now the cheapest one from Philly to Indy is $376 round trip. I really hope its just too early for some airlines and their rates didn't come in through Kayak yet or something.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Even better if they banish all the giant card vendor booths to Hall F (or whatever letter it is) with them.

I would pay an extra 10 dollars for them to do this.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

djfooboo posted:

I would pay an extra 10 dollars for them to do this.
I'd pay an extra :10bux: if they banished them to the 4th circle of hell.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Also kinda hoping FFG and their line also gets moved to the stadium, though I'm sure it won't be.

nesbit37 posted:

Ugh, I also just checked flights and right now the cheapest one from Philly to Indy is $376 round trip. I really hope its just too early for some airlines and their rates didn't come in through Kayak yet or something.

I assume you're looking at American Eagle aka either Republic Airlines or Air Wisconsin. I wouldn't expect a huge price drop on a direct flight; I rarely see cheap regional flights out of Philly except maybe to DCA.

Set up a Kayak price alert, but I suspect it won't drop below $300 on AA. Maybe a connecting flight through ATL on Delta or the like may get cheaper, or if AA does a brief sale.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

Might actually be cheaper to fly to Chicago, then rent a car.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Uhhhg the lottery again? My friends and I got hosed by it last year and only got a room about two months before hand from someone trying to dump one.

It's such a garbage system, didn't they get enough complaints from it last year to try something different?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Deathlove posted:

Might actually be cheaper to fly to Chicago, then rent a car.

If it was just the money I'd be driving with friends. Girlfriend wants to fly if she goes again this year, which is ok, but it sucks how expensive it is. Thanks for the idea on a kayak price alert. I'll look at non-direct flights as well. I just looked today out of curiosity. Probably won't book for a bit yet.

Slandible posted:

Uhhhg the lottery again? My friends and I got hosed by it last year and only got a room about two months before hand from someone trying to dump one.

It's such a garbage system, didn't they get enough complaints from it last year to try something different?

As much as it might suck if you get screwed by it I still think it was the most fair and smoothest hotel solution they could have for at least the short term. They had those people who gamed the system the first 15 minutes or so and a few others with tech difficulties in the first 5 minutes, but after that it was pretty smooth and a lot less of a hair pulling excercise than the previous "click, refresh, and hope you session doesn't time out" method from previous years.

Besides, if attendance goes up by the same margin again this year it just means more people going for hotels. A lottery is the most fair way to handle that IMO and its just never going to be as easy to get a downtown hotel room as it was in 2013 and earlier.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I would pay ten bucks for a rascal only lane and self cleaning toilets

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

You people are weak. Gencon4lyf Car Crew 2016.

Reppin Car Crew again next year. This time my hotel won't be 30 miles away, and I'll have my brother in law with me.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Someone have a link? I did one day this year and want to do the whole shebang next year.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
A link to what? The Gen Con website?

gencon.com

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

http://gencon.org/ The info on hotel/badge sales is on the side under news or at http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=2f77d2f8c77398c0b064223ba&id=2c602ad7e2

As a Marriott bigot (mostly because I have status there) I notice that the only Marriott property that will still take Marriott Points for a room is the Residence Inn, and only it and the JW are taking reservations outside the block (for the JW that's for a $699/night concierge room).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

nesbit37 posted:

A link to what? The Gen Con website?

gencon.com

I meant the Hotel lottery you were talking about.

EDIT: Nvm, read the whole thing.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

fordan posted:

As a Marriott bigot (mostly because I have status there) I notice that the only Marriott property that will still take Marriott Points for a room is the Residence Inn, and only it and the JW are taking reservations outside the block (for the JW that's for a $699/night concierge room).

My usual Gen Con group scrambled via email this morning to decide what to do about hotels. One of them saved up enough reward points these past two years to get two hotel rooms, which he usually does, for the Crowne Plaza. However, after him trying all he could they refused to let members book rooms with points this year at the Crowne, though they did let him do it at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites. They changed the cancellation policy though so that if he cancels after now reserving the rooms he will be charged full room rate on both rooms for the 4 days to the tune of $4000. Things are getting pretty ridiculous up in here.

At least this means I should be free of the great hotel room lottery panic of 2016 :smuggo:

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.
I've already had my first anxiety dream about not getting a downtown/attached hotel for gencon.

and the fact that you can't even reserve rooms at the hotel that aren't con prices makes me insane. I AM WILLING TO PAY MORE TO MAKE SURE I GET A CLOSE ROOM, LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY, HOTELS.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Current planned changes to exhibitor hall with TD moving over to the stadium. Top image was 2015, bottom is proposed layout for 2016.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

nesbit37 posted:

They had those people who gamed the system the first 15 minutes or so and a few others with tech difficulties in the first 5 minutes, but after that it was pretty smooth

We were in that group with tech difficulties, my friend had something like an 8 minute wait and when he came up to get a room the system locked up on him and no amount of tech support talking would get us back in in time to get downtown. Staying out by the old airport wasn't horrendous except for having to carry stuff around all day and the cost of using Uber every evening. Also not being able to jet over to our room for a cleaner bathroom.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Buy this domain now Fordan

Fordan why are you waiting to buy this domain now

That is interesting, they are expanding the Exhibit Hall into that tantalizing space in the bottom-right that they let us glimpse last year, that I think had card games? running in it. INTRIGUING

And clearly my estimation that this thread needed to be recreated at the beginning of January was already delaying too long. Guess it is about time to start drawing up the next thread...

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
DO IT.

My gaming group is already talking about Gencon and making plans/scheduling time off.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It needs a food guide and the Indian place needs to be BOLDed

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Please excuse Loughmiller's from the food guide as I want it to remain my personal oasis at Gencon and you nerds will ruin it for me.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Junkie Disease posted:

It needs a food guide and the Indian place needs to be BOLDed

Add Cerulean - Cerulean loving was amazing.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I jumped into this thread almost every night for dining suggestions beyond food trucks last year, and glad I did. Hit the obvious St Elmo, but tried that Indian place and some burger joint another time and they were all great. Please, make a list of great food so I can find more next year.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Groupme should be a GenGoon requirement. Holy poo poo, it's a hell of a resource, and goon networking got people some hard to get products, beat lines, and made awkward eating arrangements far less awkward. When goons aren't the loving worst, they are the best.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah get in the groupme. Me having groupme last year made me seem like some kind of God, summoning games at the drop of a hat, finding incredible places to eat, getting great deals on games and so on.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

BlackIronHeart posted:

Please excuse Loughmiller's from the food guide as I want it to remain my personal oasis at Gencon and you nerds will ruin it for me.

Also lets me have my yearly mentions of it and look like a badass.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

Buy this domain now Fordan

Fordan why are you waiting to buy this domain now

Derrrrrrp. http://www.gencon.com (vs http://www.dragoncon.org for the other major conventions do)

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Backno posted:

Also lets me have my yearly mentions of it and look like a badass.

I heard Loughmillers got sold and sucks now. No one should go there because it's so terrible. So...ugh.... stay away? Basically, if there starts being lines at Loughmillers, I will stab a nerd.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

If I go this year I can stand in lines for others again. But I'm out of a job and freelancing for money, so it depends on if the husband and I can talk our nerd friends into going and splitting hotel costs. Fingers crossed.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Add Cerulean - Cerulean loving was amazing.

Not much for a vegamanatarian as myself but I'll pass it along as none of me pals are.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

sithwitch13 posted:

If I go this year I can stand in lines for others again. But I'm out of a job and freelancing for money, so it depends on if the husband and I can talk our nerd friends into going and splitting hotel costs. Fingers crossed.

Here's hoping! I had fun trying to figure out which character from Black Orphan you were on a given day.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Junkie Disease posted:

Not much for a vegamanatarian as myself but I'll pass it along as none of me pals are.

Life Pro Tip: If a mid/high-end restaurant doesn't have anything on their menu for you, give them a call a few days in advance to see what they can do to help you out! Most chefs are keen to try new stuff/help people out in such ways, and, worst case, they'll just be "nope". For Cerulean in particular, my niece that we went with has celiac disease, so she called them to make double-plus sure their gluten-free process was in order, and they made sure to highlight certain dishes of theirs that fit her needs.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Carteret posted:

Groupme should be a GenGoon requirement. Holy poo poo, it's a hell of a resource, and goon networking got people some hard to get products, beat lines, and made awkward eating arrangements far less awkward. When goons aren't the loving worst, they are the best.

Yeah it's pretty awesome; makes it much easier to scramble together pick-up games with beer. We still occasionally chat in it between GenCons when people don't have it muted.

Speaking of, someone better play X-Wing with me this year.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah it's pretty awesome; makes it much easier to scramble together pick-up games with beer. We still occasionally chat in it between GenCons when people don't have it muted.

Speaking of, someone better play X-Wing with me this year.

I'm down for Wangs. Probably. Plans fall to poo poo quickly.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Carteret posted:

I'm down for Wangs. Probably. Plans fall to poo poo quickly.

There was a shocking amount of meetups that didn't fall through last year. We'll see what happens with it being at the stadium as well

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah this felt like some sort of record for "actually having people show up to things they say they will show up to." Even I, who openly admits that I rarely show up to anything, showed up! Like twice!!!

...like how I have not yet shown up to making a new thread. ON IT THIS WEEKEND

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If my phone weren't poo poo I would make it to stuff. It drains so fast with that app running.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

djfooboo posted:

If my phone weren't poo poo I would make it to stuff. It drains so fast with that app running.

Buy yourself a portable battery. You can get a big one for like $30 and a cheap one from Speedway for like $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I went all-out and bought both a 1-phone and 4-phone capacity charger of the type Mudcrab Merchant recommended. I have never been disappointed with their abilities.

• Locked thread