Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Buu's absorption was the best way to do it. Cell's was okay with a monster looking thing becoming more human but Buu took his victim's characteristics and clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The thing I liked about Buu's absorption is how much easier it is, which makes it scarier. With Cell we are shown that as long as the tail spike itself doesn't get you, you're fine, while Buu just has to get some bioslime on you from anywhere in the world.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

WickedHate posted:

. It was one of the notable flaws in BoG, Beerus just wasn't very scary because he's so rail thin and sickly looking

lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Super buu is ~stronger~ but that doesn't matter when kid buu's gimmick is going straight for the kill rather than the fight

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

The buff stuff looks cooler

I do not get this at all, like normal brolly looked ok but SSJzyber huge broly looks like a literal joke

WickedHate posted:

(I'm kind of sad Toriyama invented the bishounen line)

Yeah there's never been fiction where the most powerful martial artist is actually the frail old man or the young good looking guy before DBZ

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So, as of today it looks like TFS is ranking BoG as their Best DBZ Movie Ever, which is honestly surprising to me only because I was so sure they'd put World's Strongest there because they love it so much (but maybe it's mostly just Kaiser?). That said, it's a drat good movie list.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Mostly Kaiser is the one who loves World's Strongest.

BoG being number one is fine by me. We got Pilaf and the gang screwing around, the pacing wasn't dragging, funny moments. Bingo Vegeta. Vegeta poo poo kicking Beerus for 10 seconds for slapping his BULMMMMMA! The fighting was pretty drat good.

And the biggest one.

Goku does not win. I know that may seem like hurr hurr hivemind, but I always found it stale how it seems each movie would somehow end with a spirit bomb bullshit or Goku basically getting a final second trump card. (Exception Cooler cuz he kamemaha's the drat death ball back in Cooler's face which was cool :v:) The fact that SSG wasn't enough was great. Ending the movie with there are far more stronger guys out there than Goku brings back the old message of DB that I liked. There is always gonna be someone stronger. Yeah Goku got a new form and all which I liked because it wasn't big bulry muscly man. Sure it was a color swap but I rather have that than ugly rear end SSJ3. Like the one thing that I really didn't like about the other movies is how much it really makes that power level crap relevant because the other characters would get their poo poo kicked in by the minions or big jackass Broly. At least in BoG, they didn't even bother cuz they knew they didn't stand chance.

Basically BoG rules.

Also, the reason why Beerus wanted to blow up the Earth?

Because Buu wouldn't' share his goddamn pudding.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 23, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The only problem I had with BoG was that it felt like Goku gave up a little too quickly. Like, the writing staff knew he wasn't going to win, so they had him give up at the first opportunity that it seemed bleak, whereas any other fight he just keeps going and eventually wins. I feel like that could've been done better.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I should watch BoG, huh.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

One of the criteria for what makes a good dbz movie is "Expanding on the lore" and BOG introduces a ton of new things to play with that I'm not surprised at all that it's the top dbz movie.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Shindragon posted:

Because Buu wouldn't' share his goddamn pudding.

All those puddings belonged to buu.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Plus BoG had this playing when Goku and Beerus fight when poo poo gets real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4IfEWhsdow

I will admit I"m a very big fan of BoG. I did like RoF alot (agreed with the placing with TFS, it was great but it did lack tension because Goku was basically shooting the poo poo the whole time) but BoG is number one.

Plus Beerus is far more interesting than Broly's bitchass. God of Destruction. Blows up planets on a whim, and likes to kick back and relax. Piss him off and well, poo poo goes wrong. The dubbing was great, they picked a great voice for Beerus.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Monaghan posted:

One of the criteria for what makes a good dbz movie is "Expanding on the lore" and BOG introduces a ton of new things to play with that I'm not surprised at all that it's the top dbz movie.

Considering only three movies are canon, then that does put a lot of balls in BoG, RoF's, and Yo! Son Goku and Friend's Return's court.

That said, BoG deserves the number 1 spot.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really loved the actual presentation of the battles in BoG that capitalized on the weird ways these characters can move. The tracking shot of Goku and Beerus flying through West City comes to mind, or the neat use of slow motion in the cave to capture how quick they're moving. Sumitomo's score is very underrated as well IMO.

The movie is really cool and good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Covok posted:

Considering only three movies are canon, then that does put a lot of balls in BoG, RoF's, and Yo! Son Goku and Friend's Return's court.

That said, BoG deserves the number 1 spot.

I don't think they mean cannon per say, just expanding the setting in interesting ways. both history of trunks and bardock did that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Battle of Gods is pretty okay for the most part. They introduce a villain/antagonist with a backstory that provides a relatively reasonable rationale for why he's so powerful (why he's order of magnitudes stronger than his godly counterparts is questionable, but not a huge gripe overall), it's got some legit funny moments, and was really just enjoyable overall.

My only real complaint is that the whole Super Saiyan God thing fucks up with the lore of the original super saiyan.

Regardless, waaaaay better than RoF at least.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so how good is xenoverse really? it's on sale and I'm tempted but I hear there's a lot of grinding

Shindragon posted:

Goku does not win.

I've been rewatching dbz for the first time since I was like 15 over the past few months, and having gotten to the movies now I gotta agree that is is a nice change of pace. also really liked dead zone because it lets piccolo actually be relevant and about even with goku (something I didn't like about tree of might was how piccolo's role is to be oneshot by evil goku like 4 times in a row), then have gohan be the one that ultimately wins the day. in the show, goku only ever beats the end boss by himself with frieza after the spirit bomb fails. hell, I think that's the one time in the series where he is actually the strongest character. gohan killed cell, all of the other big bads were a group effort led by goku, and kid buu is like the one time where the spirit bomb actually works.

tho gohan getting drunk and deflecting a bullet into his pregnant wife was dumb and what they've done with that character since he beefed it against buu the first time has been a constant down spiral

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Manatee Cannon posted:

so how good is xenoverse really? it's on sale and I'm tempted but I hear there's a lot of grinding

Xenoverse is very good. The grinding thing is true though, skills and costume parts drop rarely and sometimes are subject to two to three RNG walls to get them, which can get really annoying. Level grinding is basically non-existent though, unless you really want Unlock Potential.

My personal recommendation is that you get the game and play it as you want, and if you really want a skill or costume part, just get a save editor and hack it in. I did that with quite a bit. Also, check the mods for the game, some are really cool.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I think Xenoverse is on sale on PSN now so it may be worth it to grab it. It is a little grindy and the RNG is terrible but I liked it well enough

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Xenoverse is very good. The grinding thing is true though, skills and costume parts drop rarely and sometimes are subject to two to three RNG walls to get them, which can get really annoying. Level grinding is basically non-existent though, unless you really want Unlock Potential.

My personal recommendation is that you get the game and play it as you want, and if you really want a skill or costume part, just get a save editor and hack it in. I did that with quite a bit. Also, check the mods for the game, some are really cool.

I'd be getting it on ps4 because it's cheaper/my pc has been acting up lately, so I can't really do any mods. if it's still worth it without being able to just give myself what I want tho, I'll probably end up getting it

thanks

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd be getting it on ps4 because it's cheaper/my pc has been acting up lately, so I can't really do any mods. if it's still worth it without being able to just give myself what I want tho, I'll probably end up getting it

thanks

It's very much still worth getting even without that. You can probably get most things anyways, just...might take some time if the RNG turns against you. Still, everything connected to masters and the shop can be gotten no matter what, and stuff will drop anyways, so it's not that big of a deal. So long as you never want Super Vegeta.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

thanks

Outside a few things most of it is easy to farm/get anyway. Super Vegeta, Unlock Potential, Kaioken x20 are the notable hard ones. Oh and Videl's Z-soul.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Also, get Tien's Z-Soul. It will make some of the more bullshit challenge missions doable.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Elfgames posted:

I do not get this at all, like normal brolly looked ok but SSJzyber huge broly looks like a literal joke

:shrug: Difference in aesthetic and narrative taste.

Elfgames posted:

Yeah there's never been fiction where the most powerful martial artist is actually the frail old man or the young good looking guy before DBZ

That's not what I mean, the bishounen line is specifically when someone transforms and goes from scary monster to more powerful but conventionally prettier, and if DBZ didn't invent that it definitely popularized it. To this day I'm convinced male models are secretly bug monsters that reached their final form.

Raxivace posted:

I really loved the actual presentation of the battles in BoG that capitalized on the weird ways these characters can move. The tracking shot of Goku and Beerus flying through West City comes to mind, or the neat use of slow motion in the cave to capture how quick they're moving. Sumitomo's score is very underrated as well IMO.

It'd be cool if they did something like the Boros battle in One Punch Man, melting buildings from the force of crashing through them.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Covok posted:

Also, get Tien's Z-Soul. It will make some of the more bullshit challenge missions doable.

Ahem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgHiyIjXgHw

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Get Blue Hurricane, laugh.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

WickedHate posted:

That's not what I mean, the bishounen line is specifically when someone transforms and goes from scary monster to more powerful but conventionally prettier, and if DBZ didn't invent that it definitely popularized it. To this day I'm convinced male models are secretly bug monsters that reached their final form.

Kinda scratching my head on this one. Other than Cell and Freiza, who really did this? I don't think Toriyama made pretty boys popular.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Momomo posted:

Kinda scratching my head on this one. Other than Cell and Freiza, who really did this? I don't think Toriyama made pretty boys popular.

Buu did it too, going from Fat -> Super (skinnier, though ripped) -> Super w/ gotenks/gohan absorbed (still ripped but now with normal nose and pretty-boy face -> kid buu (twink universe-killer)

plus i mean just freeza alone is pretty drat influential

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah you only have to do it once. Why would three make that much a difference.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

y'all were right, xenoverse is cool

but man, that trunks sound clip where he says 'hey' is so amazingly bad. it's like it's being played through a gba or something

Covok
May 27, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

but man, that trunks sound clip where he says 'hey' is so amazingly bad. it's like it's being played through a gba or something

I still feel like that was a result of the VA forgetting to record the line and having to do a hasty recording from someone in-house and on-hand.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

'Guys...'

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

New Leaf posted:

Gotenks-Buu is the best one. I hated how big the head-tail got by the end. Was that his pseud-SSJ3 hair?

Yeah he really rocks the vest imho

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Covok posted:

I just got what might have been a random drop from killing some saibamen that says it's tien's z-soul

it says 'fine, I'll go first' and has a 3 on the star

e: wait nah it was from saibamen's revenge. it says so in the rewards thing that I never checked before

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 24, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I just got what might have been a random drop from killing some saibamen that says it's tien's z-soul

it says 'fine, I'll go first' and has a 3 on the star

e: wait nah it was from saibamen's revenge. it says so in the rewards thing that I never checked before

Tien Z-Soul is from training with Tien and is called Haaaaaaaaaaaah!!

Remember that scene where Tien shrugs off Yamacha's Kamehameha wave? It does that and, considering late game enemies use that attack or a higher tier of it alot, being immunue helps on a lot of late game side missions.

You need the first expansion for it.

Covok fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 24, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

oh, I need dlc for it? bummer

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, feel no obligation to get it. It just makes some of the really hard missions easier, but it's also REALLY specific and boring. There are a bunch of harder, but cooler ways to get around those missions.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Momomo posted:

A lot of JRPG villains - or just end bosses in general - go from some monstrous form to an even more powerful humanoid shape. As far as anime goes, I can think of Bleach, which has a whole enemy faction of monsters who have done this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Justin_Brett posted:

A lot of JRPG villains - or just end bosses in general - go from some monstrous form to an even more powerful humanoid shape. As far as anime goes, I can think of Bleach, which has a whole enemy faction of monsters who have done this.

He meant "In Dragon ball"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
it could be that a slimmer human like figure is much easier to draw doing martial arts and cool poses where a monster is more or less spent after it's reveal.

• Locked thread