Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DroneRiff posted:

Shockingly pitched to me as "the American Yes" - funny that.
Cathedral was a much better American Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I had about 5 seconds of imaginig Lee Dorrian of the metal Cathedral singing Yes. Will check them out.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DroneRiff posted:

I had about 5 seconds of imaginig Lee Dorrian of the metal Cathedral singing Yes. Will check them out.
I had similar thoughts when my old boss told me he was playing bass with Cathedral at NEARfest

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This reminds me of the thing that I just can't figure out - I like prog, I like metal, but 99.9% of all prog-metal sends me screaming from the room. Is there such a thing as prog-metal that's not constant meedly-meedly nonsense? The worst part is, I like a lot of the individual players in these groups, and I'll like some tunes that slow it down a little (the whole album is a bit much, but there are a few tracks on the second Liquid Tension record I like) so I feel like it's my problem. I dunno. I also have a cold right now so my brain's all hosed up.

I definitely will never be able to take Queensryche seriously, though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Fates Warning

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

This reminds me of the thing that I just can't figure out - I like prog, I like metal, but 99.9% of all prog-metal sends me screaming from the room. Is there such a thing as prog-metal that's not constant meedly-meedly nonsense? The worst part is, I like a lot of the individual players in these groups, and I'll like some tunes that slow it down a little (the whole album is a bit much, but there are a few tracks on the second Liquid Tension record I like) so I feel like it's my problem. I dunno. I also have a cold right now so my brain's all hosed up.

Yeah, there totally is. Prog metal is an insanely broad category and generalizing it as just Dream Theater and their clones is a bit reductive. You should totally check out Voivod, they're my favorite metal band and Nothingface may be my favorite metal album. Lots of 80s and 90s prog metal, like Mayfair, Holocaust, Sacred Blade, Sieges Even, Garden Wall, Depressive Age, Thought Industry (these guys had a lot of FNM/Mr. Bungle DNA as well, be warned), Seer's Tear, Fates Warning etc. tends more towards thrash meets KC/VDGG, instead of the glossy Rush-based prog metal that you're probably familiar with.

Here's a classic underrated prog metal album I always like to rec to prog rock fans. This one is a very ambitious suite with a lot of synth, done by the ex-guitarist of At the Gates. You also may like Minas Tirith. Some really obscure bands like Dreadnot are also very prog.

Ask me if you're interested in more. If you can handle harsh vocals I'll rec some of that stuff too.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Allen Wren posted:

It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but in addition to what Gamma Nerd recommended (and in the same vein as Voivod), you may enjoy looking into the technical/progressive thrash metal subgenre, of which Voivod were pioneers. It arguably reached its peak in the late '80s to early '90s. Here are a couple of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqY0MBZe8cc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lChCYQlxOjI (also listen to the album Nemesis if you like this, as it's just as good)

This is a little noodly, but I'd argue tastefully so, at least most of the time. Not sure if Spiral Architect is one of the bands you'd listened to before and been turned away from, but it's basically them with a bit less wank and more melody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAldONrr34E

And since you like prog and you like metal, I'm guessing you've already heard Cynic, but in the unlikely event you haven't, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PFFLFbriXg

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Allen Wren posted:

I like both of these things!

Agalloch and Opeth spring to mind. Possibly Sólstafir too, and The Sword

Honestly though, prog and metal are both such broad churches, it's hard to define even one.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Optimum Gulps posted:

It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but in addition to what Gamma Nerd recommended (and in the same vein as Voivod), you may enjoy looking into the technical/progressive thrash metal subgenre, of which Voivod were pioneers. It arguably reached its peak in the late '80s to early '90s. Here are a couple of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqY0MBZe8cc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lChCYQlxOjI (also listen to the album Nemesis if you like this, as it's just as good)

Don't forget Toxik:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dUbTxm7Y-w

And Watchtower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4h5L2Ooy5w

E: I listened to the version of "Heart of the Sunrise" from the most recent Yes live album and holy poo poo it is terrible. It plods and trudges (which should be almost impossible with a song as fiery as that one), Jon Davison is so wimpy and boyish he makes Jon Anderson sound like Dio in comparison, and in the fast bit in the middle the band seems to fall out of time, especially Chris Squire (understandable since he was probably literally half dead when they recorded it) and Alan White.

E 2: A symphonic prog band fronted by Ronnie James Dio would have been really cool.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 21, 2015

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Last night the audience kept taking flash photos of KC so Robert walked off at the end of ITCOTKC. They had signs up on stage as we came in tonight basically saying "if you take pics we will toss you" and a LOT of security.

So tonight Robert stayed on stage and pulled out a camera at the end of the show and too pics and selfish galore til he was the only person left on stage...

Met Pat, Tony and Jako backstage after. Ate some cake in catering. Great sound tonight... about 7 or 8 guys from camp showed.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

*Quietly piles all of Gamma Nerd's list on to his CD wish list*. Who needs to buy family presents for the holidays when you can buy yourself prog CDs instead?

Threshold may also be a good rec and it's only lately they've gotten bigger. Lighter on noodling, etc.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Woolie Wool posted:

E 2: A symphonic prog band fronted by Ronnie James Dio would have been really cool.

If "Stargazer" by Rainbow is any indication it would've been pretty loving great.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

If "Stargazer" by Rainbow is any indication it would've been pretty loving great.

I know the guy who bought Dio's Mellotron, oddly

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is it sacrilege to dislike the Mellotron? I think it sounds chintzy and scratchy and it would be a rare recording indeed that would not benefit from having been recorded with synth pads instead of Mellotron. I dig the Moog and other analog synths and definitely see why you might want to use one over a digital FM synth (though those certainly are great in their own right--Images and Words proves that), but the Mellotron has zero appeal to me. KC and the Moody Blues and the other early groups get a pass because they didn't have polyphonic synths in the late '60s/very early '70s, modern bands have no excuse.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I dig it in the stuff Opeth used it for otherwise it's just kind of whatever to me.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Mellotrons are so much better than synth pads. It's about the eerie, ethereal character of the sound. It's not about being realistic.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Since when were synth pads "realistic", unless you're looking up poorly orchestrated video game music covers on YouTube? A good synth pad being used by a good player is sonically rich, a Mellotron is poverty, thin and tinny. Say what you want about ABWH, but I really like the approach Rick Wakeman took re-interpreting the Yes classics on their live tour (too bad the same cannot be said for Bill Bruford and his electronic drum kit). His playing on An Evening of Yes Music Plus reminds me of Lyle Mays and Kevin Moore, both of whom I greatly admire.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag2zXiiuF5Q

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

In my search for more mello I stumbled upon this obscure one-off band who only released one album. There are three mellotron players in this group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQQ3M35oc0

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

Is it sacrilege to dislike the Mellotron? I think it sounds chintzy and scratchy and it would be a rare recording indeed that would not benefit from having been recorded with synth pads instead of Mellotron.

I just imagined Epitaph with synth pads instead of mellotrons and it sounds horrible. Same with every classic Crimson or Genesis tune I can think of really.

I love synth pads and use them all the time but in no way are they a replacement for a mellotron, IMO they serve very different purposes in most music.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The only synth that should replace a mellotron is a synthesized mellotron, and then you don't have to cart around a mellotron. There's no way that 3 mellotron band toured!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Tsaedje posted:

The only synth that should replace a mellotron is a synthesized mellotron, and then you don't have to cart around a mellotron. There's no way that 3 mellotron band toured!

When I saw Änglagård at NEARfest, they had three Mellotrons on stage. One worked, one didn't at all, and the third had a lot of problems. You are probably right about that :sigh:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Optimum Gulps posted:

When I saw Änglagård at NEARfest, they had three Mellotrons on stage. One worked, one didn't at all, and the third had a lot of problems. You are probably right about that :sigh:

Did they have broken mellotrons on stage as props?

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Did they have broken mellotrons on stage as props?

Mellotrons are fickle...I believe they'd been functioning properly backstage. All I know is that they definitely planned on making use of all three!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

There's no need for a "synthesized" mellotron when you can use a sampler to play recordings from the original mellotron tapes.

Although I guess the stuff in SampleTron is synthesized and it's very convincing.

I would love to have an actual mellotron to mess around with at home but bringing one on the road seems kind of insane and, these days, pointless.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 23, 2015

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Earwicker posted:

There's no need for a "synthesized" mellotron when you can use a sampler to play recordings from the original mellotron tapes.

Although I guess the stuff in SampleTron is synthesized and it's very convincing.

I would love to have an actual mellotron to mess around with at home but bringing one on the road seems kind of insane and, these days, pointless.

That's sort of what I meant, I think I saw an interview sometime where Tony Banks said they used to take 3 on tour just so he had one that worked

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
King Crimson announced that they were going to play Oslo... had to buy a ticket!! With the flight and a place to spend the night it'll be pretty expensive but completely worth it. Also just bought The Road to Red and the new Thrak box as an x-mas gift to myself after this insanely busy autumn. My poor wife and cat will be hearing looooooots of KC!

Every one of their albums strikes my fancy in a completely different way. I still haven't found any band that has a similar riffing style (the crazy use of scales and more complex harmonic patterns are one of my fav KC things!). A lot of people said Anekdoten are similar, and although they're cool, they just never get close to the frantic riffing and then the amazing soundscapes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

abske_fides posted:

I still haven't found any band that has a similar riffing style (the crazy use of scales and more complex harmonic patterns are one of my fav KC things!)

You should definitely check out the first few Mahavishnu Orchestra albums if you haven't heard them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhzDBGiOTvg

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 28, 2015

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Earwicker posted:

You should definitely check out the first few Mahavishnu Orchestra albums if you haven't heard them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhzDBGiOTvg

Oh I have, and I love them especially Birds of Fire and Apocalypse. Wouldn't really compare them to KC but they're absolutely fantastic albums, even The Lost Trident Sessions are insane.

Good rec for others that crave very technical and complex prog though!

abske_fides fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 28, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I feel like outside of the first album I like King Crimson on an intellectual level more than an emotional level if that makes any sense

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I feel like outside of the first album I like King Crimson on an intellectual level more than an emotional level if that makes any sense

i get what you're saying and agree, except for discipline i guess.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
An agonizingly long road trip got me to revisit Caravan's For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night, which I remembered as being rather mediocre compared to their albums with Richard Sinclair. It's not, and this particular track definitely isn't. No idea why this didn't grab me on the first listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8HIpQscvrs

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Yeah, it's a great album, especially the closing suite.

The whole "they lost it when Richard Sinclair left" thing isn't totally untrue, though. I'd say things started going downhill quickly for them from Cunning Stunts onwards.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Just wanna say the new ELO album is pretty good. Peace.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Woolie Wool posted:

From over a month ago but there was Mundanus Imperium:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqpa68c5xwA
(there's even a cover of "Stargazer")

It's, uh, maybe not great but it's sure something.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Von Sloneker posted:

From over a month ago but there was Mundanus Imperium:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqpa68c5xwA
(there's even a cover of "Stargazer")

It's, uh, maybe not great but it's sure something.

Jorn Lande, their ex-vocalist, is a huge fan of Dio. He's even recorded an entire tribute album called, well, Dio. However, if you want something symphonic, there's always his album aptly called Symphonic.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Been listening to the new King Crimson material.

It sounds like a bunch of old guys who can't keep up. It was serviceable until I listened to Starless and they kind of limped out of that big buildup at the end.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, Starless was not a highlight of the Crimson show I saw with the latest lineup, and I was pretty disappointed about that. UK did it justice at NEARfest 2012, though. Hell, several years ago I didn't imagine I'd ever get to hear Starless performed live, let alone twice.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
They're kind of blurring the line of Prog rock and Glam but I'm not the only person here who really likes Be Bob Deluxe, right? Some of their stuff seems a bit too self involved, but Axe Victim is one of my all time favorite albums and it's weird to me that people I know who like classic rock either haven't heard of them or haven't really given any time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DqNW0HVIY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

Gamma Nerd posted:

Drama is pretty good tbh but it's not amazing. Going For The One has a couple good songs. That's about it.

shut your whore mouth...GFTO has Awaken on it...and that's enough for any record to be amazing.