Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i recently got a macbook air, 2015 so it came with capitan. that's basically my only osx experience, and so far so good

i also recently have been farting around with win10 and wow, phew, haha hoo-boy, wow

apple has a loooooong way to go before OSX is anywhere near as hosed up as windows. apple ain't perfect but the alternatives are worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

el cap is good, actually

it's really fast and good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

el cap is good, actually

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

carry on then posted:

el cap is good, actually

^^^

SO DEMANDING posted:

i recently got a macbook air, 2015 so it came with capitan. that's basically my only osx experience, and so far so good

i also recently have been farting around with win10 and wow, phew, haha hoo-boy, wow

apple has a loooooong way to go before OSX is anywhere near as hosed up as windows. apple ain't perfect but the alternatives are worse

gotta give ballmer/nutella credit where it's due once win7 is finally kicked to the curb i'll finally lose that last bit of gaming habit with it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
el cap is fantastic and I'm super happy they dropped discoveryd and went back to mDNSresponder

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PleasureKevin posted:

honestly can't think of a problem with el Cap besides the app store being neglected

the new beachball

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

el cap is fantastic and I'm super happy they dropped discoveryd and went back to mDNSresponder

lol that they couldn't just fix it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

mishaq posted:

lol that they couldn't just fix it

this is true tho

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

they can fix it later

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i never even had any issues when they used discoveryd tbh

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Phoenixan posted:

thats because you're great at discovering the d

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i do recall some hosed up dns poo poo that drove me crazy for a while troubleshooting my router and internet connection before i read about the discoveryd issues

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Phoenixan (5) posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

el cap is good, actually

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

that poo poo drove me insane, and now I know the cause, thanks

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

el cap doesn't break anything but the split screen sucks and air drop still doesn't work. mission control or whatever the gently caress has been a poo poo show since it changed from expose. I also get a weird error message about Java roughly 2-3 times per day that I just click "ok" on. sure, I could google it, but I thought this poo poo was supposed to JUST WORK

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

1 - new touchID is so fast & reliable people complain about it being too fast
2 - apple telling the feds to go suck a big one
3 - osx is still just getting better and better incrementally instead of microsoft's rolling in poo poo

otherwise agreed

the 2nd point is good, the other two are big piles of poo poo.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

touch id on the 6s is sometimes "too" fast

i wanna look at some notifications and whoops

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Touch ID does make all of the lock screen features largely pointless.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

also lol at Touch ID being in the autocorrect dictionary

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Linguica posted:

even if you are playing a local copy of a song? if so, I'm glad to hear this corroborated and that I was not going crazy.

yeah they're all local copies because 95% of the subway doesn't get service. I guess I could use airplane mode but then I'd miss the texts that slip in at every sixth station. either way I have headphones with a button so it's only a minor thing

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah they're all local copies because 95% of the subway doesn't get service. I guess I could use airplane mode but then I'd miss the texts that slip in at every sixth station. either way I have headphones with a button so it's only a minor thing

Look at this Stockholm syndrome poo poo

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
iOS 9 video player status : still doesn't clear out streamed video cache, my iPad is due for a reset in another week or so

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

all my apple products work great and have no problems and haven't for years

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 24, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
that's obviously a photoshop , apple stuff always works perfectly without any flaws

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

cremnob posted:

all my apple products work great and have no problems and haven't for years

same here op and el cap runs fantastic on my 2012 MBA and 2014 MBPR

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I still have a 2011 MBA and I want to upgrade but I look at benchmarks and the newer ones are, like, not really terribly faster, which seems weird

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Linguica posted:

I still have a 2011 MBA and I want to upgrade but I look at benchmarks and the newer ones are, like, not really terribly faster, which seems weird

Desktop computing in a nutshell

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they haven't gotten much faster CPU-wise since 2012 but flash IO, GPU and battery life are much improved

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
if you've already got a ssd you're not going to notice the difference there really

also yeah intel has been doing some loving amazing work in the low tdp mobile chip space

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Dodoman posted:

that's obviously a photoshop , apple stuff always works perfectly without any flaws

i remember when i had brain fail and threw this line out all the time too

now i understand, though

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
to be innocent again

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

lol

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
who is excited to unwrap a gold 16gb ipad mini 3 under the tree this year!!!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
why are you unwrapping it under a tree ?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I told my mom I would get her a new iPad when the next iPad Air comes out, whenever that is.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Puppy Galaxy posted:

el cap doesn't break anything but the split screen sucks and air drop still doesn't work. mission control or whatever the gently caress has been a poo poo show since it changed from expose. I also get a weird error message about Java roughly 2-3 times per day that I just click "ok" on. sure, I could google it, but I thought this poo poo was supposed to JUST WORK

i've been using split screen a whole lot and it's been great for me. it might not be good for your uses, but it doesn't suck~

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
oh you mean aero split, that feature from 2009's Windows 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

i've been using split screen a whole lot and it's been great for me. it might not be good for your uses, but it doesn't suck~

it's so much better on Windows 7. too many clicks on osx.

• Locked thread