Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

psydude posted:

Boss told us to basically take today and tomorrow off unless we actually have something to do, which nobody does.
I'm ostensibly working today, but I spent most of the day smoking about 50 pounds of pork loin. Yay 60 degree Christmas in New York?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm working Christmas day, although my guess is the ski resort will be completely empty because it's 8000 degrees and we have very little snow. :(

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm working Christmas day, although my guess is the ski resort will be completely empty because it's 8000 degrees and we have very little snow. :(

Its gonna plummet, everything is going to be covered in ice, and you will be trapped with the groundskeeper. Calling it now.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Day 1 of my 5 day weekend.

12 texts, 4 meeting invites, 6 "high-priority" e-mails and one "Well you're salary, so..." talking to.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Is there a labor site I can throw at HR for this? Last time I demanded refunded leave it turned into "Yeah-huh!"/"Nuh-uh!".

So uh how is Day 1 of the job search going? Because that is some bullshit. Hope things cool off and you get to enjoy the time off.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Business Question,

Why did IBM spin-off their hardware division, as did HP yet Dell has decided to do the opposite?

I recognize that from the IBM Perspective hardware is now a commodity and there's more to be gained from Software and Services.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Day 1 of my 5 day weekend.

12 texts, 4 meeting invites, 6 "high-priority" e-mails and one "Well you're salary, so..." talking to.

Why the hell are you looking at email or your phone on vacation?

My last vacation I turned my phone off, it was glorious.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Today I had a lunch meeting, after that I went home, don't come back until the 4th. Suck it nerds. 11 days off for 3 days of PTO. :smug:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 24, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Business Question,

Why did IBM spin-off their hardware division, as did HP yet Dell has decided to do the opposite?

I recognize that from the IBM Perspective hardware is now a commodity and there's more to be gained from Software and Services.

You've pretty much answered your own question. Hardware margins in the desktop/laptop WinTel space are razor thin, and it's pretty much a race to the bottom that IBM didn't want to run.

IBM were smart in divesting when they did. Motorola could have taken a page from their book. Motorola waited too long and the cell phone division ended up being the death blow. Even though they carved off Motorola Mobility from the Enterprise and Public Service(radios), it was too little, too late. They've been circling the drain for a while now. Even selling off the relatively healthy Enterprise division to keep the bigger core of public radio systems alive doesn't seem to be working.

IBM made the right move and still carry a big stick in the backend solutions, consulting and services, but the desktop hardware was dragging them down. I know my group has invested heavily in some of their solutions on the order of a couple million and price arguments aside, they're still best in class for a lot of things.

As far as Dell goes, who the hell knows what Michael Dell is thinking. However, it should be noted that Dell is private now and IBM and HP are publicly traded. Dell answers to no one but Dell.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 24, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Dell wants to be a complete end to end cradle to grave Datacenter to personal device solution.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Dell wants to own the "cloud stack". More or less, the dude wants his last name in everyone's datacenter, one way or another.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Business Question,

"Hardware division" is overly broad. They got rid of the PC business years ago, point of sale systems in 2012ish, and chip fabs and xSeries (x86) servers last year. They still make the POWER platform, mainframe, and storage (disk and tape). The low-end systems had gotten too commoditized, none of it fit in with IBM's enterprisey strategic plan of services, consulting, big data, analytics, cloud, etc. The remaining hardware all meshes with those goals well.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Welcome to America!

If I'm on PTO and I get a phonecall or email to do work, that gets billed to whatever project instead of PTO.

Your employer can't force you to take leave while you're working, even in the US.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

If I'm on PTO and I get a phonecall or email to do work, that gets billed to whatever project instead of PTO.

Can you just....not answer it? And not do work on your time off?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Dell can make it work since he's no longer beholden to chasing quarterly earning reports to the detriment of strategic planning like HP and the rest of the publicly owned shithouses

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't unless it's an emergency. Do I have to? No, but my boss makes my life very easy, so I don't mind throwing him or my team mates a bone every now and again. It pays dividends when I'm in a similar situation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

I don't unless it's an emergency. Do I have to? No, but my boss makes my life very easy, so I don't mind throwing him or my team mates a bone every now and again. It pays dividends when I'm in a similar situation.

Yeah of course, just wasn't sure if you had to answer or not.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Exactly. People need to set strict boundaries for this kind of poo poo. If I'm not on call, I don't answer. We have enough depth of talent that we don't need people to be 24/7/365 and I'd be demanding a far larger salary to put up with that kind of abuse. We have an internal escalation tree for true emergencies, but I think that's been used maybe once in the last 5 years to pull people not on call in on an issue.

And PTO is the same. I will not look at email, I direct the Google Voice number I use for the on-call to go direct to VM.

Guard your time people. Remember you should be working to live, not living to work.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did that once and the powers that be went so far as to calling my emergency contacts to find me.

quote:

We have enough depth of talent that we don't need people to be 24/7/365

We don't. :(

:edit: Goddamn it this it turning into a Goon-in-the-Well scenario. Dear Something Awful, I never thought this would happen to me...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's loving ridiculous

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

flosofl posted:

Remember you should be working to live, not living to work.

People in IT seem especially bad at this, have a poo poo sense of work/life balance.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Did that once and the powers that be went so far as to calling my emergency contacts to find me.

Jesus christ dude

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

:edit: Goddamn it this it turning into a Goon-in-the-Well scenario. Dear Something Awful, I never thought this would happen to me...

Well you posted that you were being contacted repeatedly on your day off with the excuse that it's because you're salary, and then you admitted that day would still come out of your PTO, and now you're saying they went into your file and started contacting your next of kin one time when you were unavailable :wtc:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Aunt Beth posted:

The low-end systems had gotten too commoditized, none of it fit in with IBM's enterprisey strategic plan of services, consulting, big data, analytics, cloud, etc. The remaining hardware all meshes with those goals well.

Right, but Dell's keeping the low-end stuff but the again Dell only answers to itself which kind of cool?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Lord Dudeguy posted:

This sounds like one of those places that ends up saying "Fine you can quit, but you're required to provide us with support for the next two years whenever we call you."

It obviously goes without saying that they do not value you or your time and are taking away a benefit of the job, thus devaluing your pay. Your first step needs to be moving to a new job ASAP.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

People in IT seem especially bad at this, have a poo poo sense of work/life balance.

It's not just IT, not by far.

I do a pretty good job at guarding off time for myself and the people under me, but being in a support role we get to see OTHER departments go through this poo poo as well. It's really easy to see what's going on when you can see the support tickets for after hours VPN usage. Business development people are working on contracts through weekends and all hours of the evening. Designer types are making prototypes until midnight for a demo that happens at 10am the next morning. HR is processing on-boarding paperwork at home in the evening.

This poo poo happens nearly everywhere in the US to some degree (unless you manage to find a unicorn company) and it's a direct result of not having enough employee protection laws in the US. There needs to be an overall financial disincentive to having ANYONE working more than 40 hours a week for any more than once in a blue moon type events. Mandatory overtime and additional off hours multipliers should be structured such that if anyone has to work more than 40 hours more than 10%-20% of the time, it's cheaper to hire a 2nd person in that position to share load. Boo hoo, it would cut into the shareholder profits. The overall effect on unemployment and general employee health would be net gain without question.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Anywhere heavy on overtime or after-hours work is a place that is inadequately staffed, run by people incapable of proper planning, or both.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

The correct answer in your position when someone calls you about a non-emergency is "gently caress off, I'm on vacation."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

go3 posted:

Anywhere heavy on overtime or after-hours work is a place that is inadequately staffed, run by people incapable of proper planning, or both.

I agree, but it's far cheaper for these companies to run at an inadequate staff level than it is to staff them properly and they are rewarded for this effort on Wall Street.

The system we have in place to gauge success on a corporate level runs in direct opposition to treating employees fairly. Sometimes, companies are capable of seeing past the next quarter and keep this stuff under check, but it's rare.

I would encourage everyone to search for that diamond, but sometimes life realities make that difficult or near impossible. There are far fewer diamonds out there than people searching for them.

To pretend this is somehow uniquely an IT issue is minimizing the problem though. You can look at nearly every industry and every job level and find that the majority are understaffed or improperly managed or both. Even poor management can be somewhat fixed by stricter overtime protection since having poor management that results in overtime means the company is financially penalized for having those people in those positions.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Once we had a director from a different department ask my boss how responsive IT was to non-critical calls outside of business hours and my boss laughed and said zero.

Well that's my mandatory overtime story

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

bull3964 posted:

It's not just IT, not by far.

I do a pretty good job at guarding off time for myself and the people under me, but being in a support role we get to see OTHER departments go through this poo poo as well. It's really easy to see what's going on when you can see the support tickets for after hours VPN usage. Business development people are working on contracts through weekends and all hours of the evening. Designer types are making prototypes until midnight for a demo that happens at 10am the next morning. HR is processing on-boarding paperwork at home in the evening.

Yeah. I'd argue that what sets IT apart is not that a bunch of people accept a crappy work life balance. It's that we have the ability to push back on that at all. Supply and demand in our field is so far out of whack that we can ask for a 40 hour work week and real time off... and actually get it. Random sales or HR or marketing people probably don't have the luxury of dozens of recruiters beating down their door every week to fall back on. If the boss says "gently caress you, work 60 hours or I'll find someone who will" it's harder to say :byewhore: when you could realistically be out of work for a long time.

Many people in the US face garbage working conditions. We are pretty lucky that we don't have to put up with them unless you're stuck in East Bunghole, Nevada or something.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Right, but Dell's keeping the low-end stuff but the again Dell only answers to itself which kind of cool?
Yeah, since Dell's gone private again they have a unique ability to think, plan, and execute a strategy, rather than furiously ping pong from fad to fad in order to keep the shareholders happy. I've never been a fan of Dell hardware but I'm genuinely interested in the company now just as an experiment.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

A coworker relocated to Portugal and covers a lot of NOC related work at night like backup audits and other work that can be done after hours. A lot of the non critical work is taken care of after hours that would otherwise be piled on the morning people. As a side benefit there are almost no calls that get to the on call guy during the week. I don't understand why this type of remote work is so rare.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The hilarious state of US worker protections and societal pressures to 'be a man and take it' notwithstanding, an overtime-exempt, predominantly beta personality workforce is a managers wet dream for maximizing production and keeping costs down. Why hire 3 when you can browbeat 2 into doing the extra work?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Boss needs certifications for the business and has offered 4x $1500 raises a year per exam passed in the past. Zero people have taken him up on it. This seems strange to me. Time to knock out the MCSA.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

SaltLick posted:

Boss needs certifications for the business and has offered 4x $1500 raises a year per exam passed in the past. Zero people have taken him up on it. This seems strange to me. Time to knock out the MCSA.

I would have alphabet soup after my name if that was offered anywhere I worked.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Per exam? So if you get the MCSA you get $4500?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

go3 posted:

The hilarious state of US worker protections and societal pressures to 'be a man and take it' notwithstanding, an overtime-exempt, predominantly beta personality workforce is a managers wet dream for maximizing production and keeping costs down. Why hire 3 when you can browbeat 2 into doing the extra work?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The OP of that thread has to be a troll.

:catstare:

Link to thread

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's like the thread title expanded into a post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
You do realize the title comes verbatim from an unironic post by someone whose name we no longer speak nor write, yes?