Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Guhhh okay fixing. I don't know how that waddled into there.

I wrote a teleport command that triggers on a command block already. It can figure out what the overworld spawn is supposed to be and use that. That part is under control. The trick is just getting a user-specified overworld.

I don't know if I can package saves with modpack releases, but I'll experiment. At this point, I'm more inclined to just freeze everybody on a common overworld, but I'm not acting yet because I just don't want to put so much effort into something that could potentially be done better.

Edit: I wanted to double-check if that would particularly irritate anybody. One reason I haven't done it is because it would irritate me. One of my things I like to do is perpetually re-do the first two hours or so on new worlds, so freezing the overworld takes a lot of that fun out. Of course, I know enough about the pack to bang it with a hatchet to do what I want locally, but whatever.

Personally I'd prefer a dynamic Overloard so that it is different every play through (new world), but this wouldn't affect me much as I don't often start new worlds unless I'm trying a new modpack or the starting position of this world really sucks. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mr. Peepers posted:

If I've played Regrowth already, does Agrarian Skies 2 have enough stuff different to make it worth playing through as well? "Agricraft your way into growing everything ever" is fine once but if AS2 is the same with just a different mix of tech mods, ehhhhh.

Agrarian skies 2 uses Ex Nihilo instead of agricraft for its initial resource production, although you can transfer into agricraft pretty quickly, and the ex nihilo grind is pretty abbreviated by quest rewards. One of the very early quests in AS2 just gives you a free watering can, for instance. Unlike Regrowth AS2 doesn't have custom recipes for its agricraft metal seeds, which means you'll be growing diamonds and stuff a lot faster and sooner than in Regrowth. There's also high-end seeds you can make that grow entire ingots as their product, so there's much less emphasis on waiting for stuff to grow.

The biggest difference is with AS2 there are challenge quests that task you with creating massive quantities of processed items, so it's really more about designing automated machines than just growing stuff. Also unlike Regrowth's wasteland overworld, AS2 has a void world (although the Nether is normal, if with a couple challenge mods thrown in). AS2 has a couple other wrinkles as well, all mobs are hostile for instance, so if you have a well-lit patch of grass sitting around, be ready to fight the randomly spawning chickens and pigs. All in all it's not EXTREMELY different, but moderately so, and might be worth your look.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hahaa why the hell are the chickens hostile

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So whats a good pack that has a quest thing to give me direction but also has almost every mod ever? The last I played was Blightfall. Want something a little more puzzly than explorey this time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

You and I both know there is no reason at all. It is pretty funny if you're breeding some to get some in a pen and caaaaarefully reach in to cram seeds down their throat as they press up against the walls of their pen just HATING you. They have furious chicken sex and go right back to glaring daggers at you as their new baby chick does the same.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, I prettied up my Lockdown changes and sent a note to Adubbz about it. What are the chances it'll get into the Lockdown mainline? My current record implies a nice, flat, zero percent.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well, I prettied up my Lockdown changes and sent a note to Adubbz about it. What are the chances it'll get into the Lockdown mainline? My current record implies a nice, flat, zero percent.

The oft-repeated cliché on this thread about how minecraft modders are close minded vision obsessed wackos is not true at all, outside of a small handful of prominent ones. They're mostly normal nerds who play internet legos and want to add something cool to it.

If their code is on github chances are they'll be fine with a PR that just adds functionality.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Theres a really fun mod for that, it has a chance to spawn a hostile passive mob, and the changes to ai makes it so "pain cries" draw the ire of all nearby passive mobs of the same type.

Que me trying it out for the first time only to get attacked by a murderous flock of sheep 30 seconds in. :stonk: :yikes: I believe its part of the Special Mobs family of mods, Mob Properties to be exact. Make sure you check the configs! No really!

I kept the mod in, its awesome, remember, I am the kind of damaged mind that helped make Sigma what it is.

Oh and as an aside; absolutely make sure you turn off every kind of thief mob in Special Mobs. None of them are fun, all of them are psychotically infuriating. Even Sigma wont swoop that low.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 24, 2015

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Mzbundifund posted:

AS2 has a couple other wrinkles as well, all mobs are hostile for instance, so if you have a well-lit patch of grass sitting around, be ready to fight the randomly spawning chickens and pigs. All in all it's not EXTREMELY different, but moderately so, and might be worth your look.

UGH how do I turn that off?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Thyrork posted:

Oh and as an aside; absolutely make sure you turn off every kind of thief mob in Special Mobs. None of them are fun, all of them are psychotically infuriating. Even Sigma wont swoop that low.

I remember thief mobs, one stole my heavily enchanted expensive armor, then proceeded to get eaten by a Dark Nexus (which destroys all the drops), second time one came from behind knocked my armor off then stole my 31 damage sword and proceeded to 2 shot me with it.

I Went back to where that thief skeleton was and discovered it had de-spawned.

I rage deleted that map.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

I remember thief mobs, one stole my heavily enchanted expensive armor, then proceeded to get eaten by a Dark Nexus (which destroys all the drops), second time one came from behind knocked my armor off then stole my 31 damage sword and proceeded to 2 shot me with it.

I Went back to where that thief skeleton was and discovered it had de-spawned.

I rage deleted that map.

Thief skeletons etc carrying items are supposed to not despawn. But hey, it wouldn't be the first time someone put a glitchy game mechanic in their mod.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Theres a really fun mod for that, it has a chance to spawn a hostile passive mob, and the changes to ai makes it so "pain cries" draw the ire of all nearby passive mobs of the same type.

Que me trying it out for the first time only to get attacked by a murderous flock of sheep 30 seconds in. :stonk: :yikes: I believe its part of the Special Mobs family of mods, Mob Properties to be exact. Make sure you check the configs! No really!

I kept the mod in, its awesome, remember, I am the kind of damaged mind that helped make Sigma what it is.

Oh god it's Link's Awakening with the murder chickens all over again.

I like this mechanic because it throws a wrench in your plans but can be played around if you kite the hostile mob away from the rest of them before killing it.

Also what's wrong/right with Sigma? I've never played it

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

greententacle posted:

UGH how do I turn that off?

I believe the intent is you'll eventually tame them using Thaumic Horizons, so if it's anywhere it'd probably be in the configs for that.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Oh god it's Link's Awakening with the murder chickens all over again.

I like this mechanic because it throws a wrench in your plans but can be played around if you kite the hostile mob away from the rest of them before killing it.

Also what's wrong/right with Sigma? I've never played it

Sigma is a kitchen sink modpack for luddites, it has blood magic/ars magica2/thaumcraft/witchery, mobs with hundreds of hitpoints, runic/roguelike dungeons and battle towers and Chocolate Quest, morph, magical crops, tinkers construct, and beer.

It gives you a fuckton of mobs, and a bunch of ways to kill them. The mobs and yourself have a bunch of horribly OP stuff available for use.

Night is very VERY dangerous, it's not uncommon to be chased around by a giant zombie with a thousand hitpoints that runs faster than you or by a bunch of mutant zombies or mutant skeletons.

Edit: It's ok once you get your base set up and semi-safe from the poo poo roaming around at night.
Edit2: gently caress headcrumbs, I do not want 95% of chest loot to be useless heads.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 24, 2015

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

So, uh, my question kinda got swept away so I'll add some more information.

Me and my friends are looking for a modpack to all play with. None of us know much about the modscene, but we remember some mods we used to play with that we generally want again, but hopefully with some other new stuff too.

We like IC2 and Buildcraft, which I think has the pipe systems. We also found the ComputerCraft mod pretty cool, and anything that adds firearms or lasers or stuff like it (we used to have muskets/flintlocks, I think) are cool.

Most importantly in addition to those couple things though we want some kind of new world exploration. Some kind of dimensional mod (I remember an old mod where you went to a magical plane filled with gigantic trees and towers that was cool) would be nice, I also hear theres some kind of space-faring mod now too.

Does anyone have any suggestions based on those factors? We won't be playing for a while so its not ultra urgent but its hard to get 5 people to all agree on the same pack. I can't find anything that has what we all want especially since all the top packs for the technic launcher seem to be either pokemon or zombie based.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

So, uh, my question kinda got swept away so I'll add some more information.

Me and my friends are looking for a modpack to all play with. None of us know much about the modscene, but we remember some mods we used to play with that we generally want again, but hopefully with some other new stuff too.

We like IC2 and Buildcraft, which I think has the pipe systems. We also found the ComputerCraft mod pretty cool, and anything that adds firearms or lasers or stuff like it (we used to have muskets/flintlocks, I think) are cool.

Most importantly in addition to those couple things though we want some kind of new world exploration. Some kind of dimensional mod (I remember an old mod where you went to a magical plane filled with gigantic trees and towers that was cool) would be nice, I also hear theres some kind of space-faring mod now too.

Does anyone have any suggestions based on those factors? We won't be playing for a while so its not ultra urgent but its hard to get 5 people to all agree on the same pack. I can't find anything that has what we all want especially since all the top packs for the technic launcher seem to be either pokemon or zombie based.

Sounds like you're looking for your basic kitchen sink pack.

Resonant Rise has a butt ton of mods in it and is quite customizable. It has Grimoire of Gaia 3 in it though which adds a bunch of really tough mobs, so if a very dangerous overworld isn't something you're into, you could disable it.

IC2 and Buildcraft are largely depreciated for other tech mods at this point, like Thermal Expansion or Mekanism. If you really want the old favourites, Tekkit Legends has those.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Well to go through the list, as I'm announcing the relaunch, 3rd times the charm, of OMPi right in time for Christmas and poo poo.

-IC2, BC, and RC are not in, Never will be. That said, there's lots of other better made stuff to dick around with to get your pipe fetish on. Thermal Dynamics is standard pipe stuff, Immersive Engineering has the most aesthetically pleasing wiring setup I've ever seen, and there's lots of smaller QoL mods to fill in gaps. Can't help the lack of rail stuff, but CJ is basically persona non grata to me after attempting to sue KoL and myself soooo...

-The weapons mod is telling me you last played on the old hellscape that was Rutibex's fetish ground, 1.2.5 Tekkit, with RedPower, IC2 and Buildcraft reigning supreme. That mod would be Balkon's. It's kind of outdated and TC fills the role for the mostpart.

-We switched to BoP from highlands simply due to the fact it actually updates. There's also RFTools and other dimensions added throughout, like TwiFor and the deep dark.

All in all, I'd like to think it fits the bill, but feel free to check out Disasterpiece Theatre for another good Kitchen Sinker with IC2 and BC in if you want them badly enough.

With that said, uh, yeah! OMPi is back, again, again, again. I have problems with equipment, or money constantly don't I?

I'll reopen the thread after I unban the StealthArcher account.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Was the modpack you were playing with from technic?

That portal to the place with the giant trees was probably Twilight Forest.

The flintlock gun is Balkons Weapon Mod.

For space faring, the only mod I can think of that has that is Galacticraft.

IC2 doesn't have pipes, but buildcraft does.

I guess you would like something similar to Tekkit Main modpack, or a custom version of it with a little more mods added.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

Was the modpack you were playing with from technic?

That portal to the place with the giant trees was probably Twilight Forest.

The flintlock gun is Balkons Weapon Mod.

For space faring, the only mod I can think of that has that is Galacticraft.

IC2 doesn't have pipes, but buildcraft does.

I guess you would like something similar to Tekkit Main modpack, or a custom version of it with a little more mods added.

Yeah it was an old version of Technic I think. I think we basically want that, just with more fluff to it and more to explore, but if IC2 is really that outdated and should be replaced maybe we'll try one of these newer packs. My eyes just kinda glaze over looking at the mod lists because most stuff I don't know if its good/bad, but whatever.

Do the packs you guys mentioned, if they don't feature IC2, at least feature some sort of energy generation system? I like setting up solar panels/water mills and stuff to power my base, slowly advancing to new technologies and hunting for oil as I gather resources.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Yeah it was an old version of Technic I think. I think we basically want that, just with more fluff to it and more to explore, but if IC2 is really that outdated and should be replaced maybe we'll try one of these newer packs. My eyes just kinda glaze over looking at the mod lists because most stuff I don't know if its good/bad, but whatever.

Do the packs you guys mentioned, if they don't feature IC2, at least feature some sort of energy generation system? I like setting up solar panels/water mills and stuff to power my base, slowly advancing to new technologies and hunting for oil as I gather resources.

Yeah, the technological side of things never went out of style, all of the packs have several options for the building of both effective and crazy looking poo poo.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Any kitchen sink pack will. Thermal Expansion's Redstone Flux electricity system is largely the current standard, and lots of mods have compatibility with it, although other power types exist.

For the magically minded, Botania is a flower-based magic mod that has features similar to a tech mod including Mana that is similar to electricity.

Other cool tech mods include Immersive Engineering, Mekanism, and RotaryCraft.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

OK. From what I'm hearing the Disasterpiece Theater pack seems good. It'll run fine if I just host it myself, right?

OMPi also sounds interesting. It'll be a hard sell to have to make everyone learn a bunch of new stuff with no baseline but it might be worth it. I'll wait until the thread goes up for it to decide. Thanks everyone.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

OK. From what I'm hearing the Disasterpiece Theater pack seems good. It'll run fine if I just host it myself, right?

OMPi also sounds interesting. It'll be a hard sell to have to make everyone learn a bunch of new stuff with no baseline but it might be worth it. I'll wait until the thread goes up for it to decide. Thanks everyone.

Ugaha, probably not if you mean running it on your pc and host via lan across hamachi or similar. The packs are quite massive and pretty much demand actual server hardware to run multiplayer instances. There's a thread for DPT I linked with a server run by neogeo, he's a cool bro.

And to be honest, if you last all played 1.2.5 then everything is gonna be ridiculously different no matter what. Incidentally, I revived the read for OMPi anyway, but it is an old 16 pager running since February: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703438

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

It'll be a hard sell to have to make everyone learn a bunch of new stuff with no baseline but it might be worth it.

There are parallels. It's not like learning modded Minecraft over from scratch. Cables and pipes are pretty similar across mods. A Thermal Expansion Pulverizer is essentially the same as an IC2 Macerator, which is essentially the same as a Mekanism Enrichment Chamber.

StealthArcher posted:

Ugaha, probably not if you mean running it on your pc and host via lan across hamachi or similar. The packs are quite massive and pretty much demand actual server hardware to run multiplayer instances.

Yeah, you'll want hosting. If you want dirt cheap Minecraft hosting with no frills, GGServers is the cheapest out there. I'd never suggest it for people who want support or customer service or any kind of quality but if you want the lowest available price so you and some friends can gently caress around for a few months it's there.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 24, 2015

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Ugaha, probably not if you mean running it on your pc and host via lan across hamachi or similar. The packs are quite massive and pretty much demand actual server hardware to run multiplayer instances. There's a thread for DPT I linked with a server run by neogeo, he's a cool bro.

And to be honest, if you last all played 1.2.5 then everything is gonna be ridiculously different no matter what. Incidentally, I revived the read for OMPi anyway, but it is an old 16 pager running since February: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703438

Yeah, that is what I mean. Is it that impossible? We used to run Technic off my friends PC and it was fine, though it was a long time ago. They do have a near brand new PC now though. The amount of mods really pushes it that much further?

Oh and thanks for the link. I will check it out.

(Also for clarity its just 4 people I'm gonna be playing with, so 5 total. Not a huge 64 person mess or anything)

Isaacs Alter Ego fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 24, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

The oft-repeated cliché on this thread about how minecraft modders are close minded vision obsessed wackos is not true at all, outside of a small handful of prominent ones. They're mostly normal nerds who play internet legos and want to add something cool to it.

If their code is on github chances are they'll be fine with a PR that just adds functionality.

Well now I'm 1 for 2. The first time I did this some months ago went nowhere (some CofH generation tweaks), but Abuddz wanted to take the stuff in, so I made a pull request.

Odd request: In the tutorial world I wanted to also make a few funny things--or at least crap I think is funny. In honor of all the drat dads that seem to play BFSR, I wanted to create a dad bar and have a few NPC dads in there. Does anybody want to sacrifice themselves on the mantle of being a dad NPC? I'm still learning CustomNPCs, but I know enough to slop somebody down and how to throw a skin on them:

:bigtran::bigtran::bigtran:I had to make the Chippendales skin myself! :bigtran::bigtran::bigtran:

If your skin is online somewhere, I can grab it.

Edit: OK I pretty much just added the bowtie and changed the shoes on some random muscle man skin.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 24, 2015

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, that is what I mean. Is it that impossible? We used to run Technic off my friends PC and it was fine, though it was a long time ago. They do have a near brand new PC now though. The amount of mods really pushes it that much further?

Oh and thanks for the link. I will check it out.

The server I run OMPi on is a repurposed desktop, but the main point behind it is that to run it on your pc, it has to act both as your game and the server. All the extra memory used for the textures adds up, and my server runs on a dedicated slot of 8GB RAM just for the server. Also, running it on a headless actual server os is helpful.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well now I'm 1 for 2. The first time I did this some months ago went nowhere (some CofH generation tweaks), but Abuddz wanted to take the stuff in, so I made a pull request.

Odd request: In the tutorial world I wanted to also make a few funny things--or at least crap I think is funny. In honor of all the drat dads that seem to play BFSR, I wanted to create a dad bar and have a few NPC dads in there. Does anybody want to sacrifice themselves on the mantle of being a dad NPC? I'm still learning CustomNPCs, but I know enough to slop somebody down and how to throw a skin on them:

:bigtran::bigtran::bigtran:I had to make the Chippendales skin myself! :bigtran::bigtran::bigtran:

I have an Uncle Sam skin I've been using for a while, I can just load it up for you if you want.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does AS2 actually give much (if any) guidance (be it on mods, methods to survive and thrive, etc) in the way its HQM structure is set up?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah it walks you through stuff pretty thoroughly, and the HQM actually has decent grammar and sentence structure, if you can get past the occasional reference to the stupid voidworld "plot".

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
It seems like we all have our own views on what a mod should do. and all i keep reading is "mod maker X doesnt like my suggested change" or Greg has his "vision"

So lets have suggestions for a goon mod. and then lets make it. (1.8 of course though, no messing with 1.7.10)

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

TheresaJayne posted:

It seems like we all have our own views on what a mod should do. and all i keep reading is "mod maker X doesnt like my suggested change" or Greg has his "vision"

So lets have suggestions for a goon mod. and then lets make it. (1.8 of course though, no messing with 1.7.10)

I think we already decided that the fantasy goon mod was 'Big Trees', a mod with trees that ruin the balance of other mods, such as supplying mana, RF, attracting good stat bees, killing mobs in range, etc.

That being said, I'm not going to 1.8 until TE does. :smugbert:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

realistic creeper vaginas

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

I like the idea of combining the functionality of Thermal Expansion/Mekanism with the aesthetics of Big Reactors/Immersive Engineering.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So why can't I make terrasteel in regrowth? I haven't unlocked a quest for it yet but I have the altar and the terrestrial plate on it. But when I drop the items on the process starts (blue aura) and then the items just vanish. In fact the plate eats anything I drop on there after a few seconds, even lost a wand of the forest by accident. I have three almost full mana pools with sparks on them transferring to the spark on the plate.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

So why can't I make terrasteel in regrowth? I haven't unlocked a quest for it yet but I have the altar and the terrestrial plate on it. But when I drop the items on the process starts (blue aura) and then the items just vanish. In fact the plate eats anything I drop on there after a few seconds, even lost a wand of the forest by accident. I have three almost full mana pools with sparks on them transferring to the spark on the plate.

Do you have a hopperhock nearby? It's probably grabbing the items off the ground and moving them to its attached chest.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

Do you have a hopperhock nearby? It's probably grabbing the items off the ground and moving them to its attached chest.

Motherfucker! That was it. :doh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

Motherfucker! That was it. :doh:

You can plop a lever down next to the hopperhock, and flip it to turn it off. Also, you can slap an item frame onto the inventory it's attached to, put an item in that item frame, and the hopperhock will whitelist itself to that item.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, while this doesn't help you due to Regrowth's Botania version, version 245 adds smoke particles when the hopperhock nabs something. This makes it a lot more obvious that an item is being grabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: OK I pretty much just added the bowtie and changed the shoes on some random muscle man skin.

I'd be willing to play an NPC (sandalle) in your new world. ;) You're welcome to my skin as well, or to change it to suite your needs.