Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

She was the one to drop the shields for Finn and Han, and was sitting right there when they said "we won't have much time to rescue Rey"
She's already cast in the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
March of The Resistance is pretty great and it's been stuck in my head for days. I love the gentler, more subtle soundtrack, it's just different from what I initially expected. Rey's Theme is also great, as is The Jedi Steps/Finale.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The movie is super fast-paced, there's no time for reflection or Binary Sunset character building. It's a really good story, but it doesn't feel mythical like the original trilogy did. Except for the end, where the meeting with Luke feels very biblical, and that music really sells it. Space Jesus went in exile because he felt responsible for the sins of his student, and here at last is a disciple. I assume Rey training with Luke will be a subplot in episode 8. I hope either the movie itself, or at least a novel or two, incorporate that style of storytelling.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I really can't stop thinking of this movie. It was so phenomenal. Terminator Genisys and Jurassic World both just made me cynical about nostalgic franchises making a comeback, but this movie made me look like an idiot for my cynicism. And I'm completely fine with that. Star Wars is a series entirely about the characters, and there was not a single one I disliked here. No one was obnoxious or unfunny, which was so refreshing coming from the prequels. Poe is on screen for about ten minutes, and he's a better and more memorable character than anyone from those movies. He and Finn need MUCH more screentime together in the future. In their small time together they were better bros than Anakin and Obi-Wan in the prequels, and their friendship was supposed to be a major plot point.

And it was so nice to see Harrison Ford care. When was the last time that happened? The last thing I saw him in was Ender's Game, and he seemed like someone was pointing a gun at him the entire time. Even in Crystal Skull he seemed miserable. But you can tell he had fun here.

Maybe the fact he would be killed off gave him a sense of freedom. He wouldn't be burdened by mandatory sequel appearances, so he got to enjoy one last ride as Han Solo. Oh, while I'm here in spoiler town, let me say that Rey pulling the lightsaber out of the snow was as awesome as it was predictable. I don't give a poo poo how much anyone saw it coming, that moment was incredible. I don't mind having to wait to see more of the story, but it pains me that I have to wait 2 years to see Rey/Finn/Poe again. They could just hang out at a Cantina for the entire movie, I don't care. I just want more of them.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Marin Karin posted:

He and Finn need MUCH more screentime together in the future. In their small time together they were better bros than Anakin and Obi-Wan in the prequels, and their friendship was supposed to be a major plot point.

I will be 100% satisfied of Episode 8 is mainly just a buddy cop movie starring Finn and Poe.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Marin Karin posted:

And it was so nice to see Harrison Ford care. When was the last time that happened? The last thing I saw him in was Ender's Game, and he seemed like someone was pointing a gun at him the entire time. Even in Crystal Skull he seemed miserable. But you can tell he had fun here.

Harrison Ford wanted Han killed off in ROTJ as he felt it was the natural end to the character's arc. I'd imagine it was his one condition to returning after Disney parked the dumptruck of money on his lawn.

Harrison Ford in 'Empire of Dreams' documentary, 2004 posted:

I though Han Solo should die. I thought he ought to sacrifice himself for the other two characters.... I said 'he's got no mama, he's got no papa, he's got no future, he has no story responsibilities at this point, so let's allow him to commit self-sacrifice'

(Quote sourced from The Secret History of Star Wars)

Edit: The man himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coPi6fvskF4

Devol_Tettran fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 23, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

She's already cast in the next one.

Well, yes, that's the meta reason she survives. In universe though, she's shown to have plenty of time to escape

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Marin Karin posted:

He cared for 42, but the last time I remember him actually being fun was, I think, 6 Days 7 Nights. Which was in 1998.

jivjov posted:

Well, yes, that's the meta reason she survives. In universe though, she's shown to have plenty of time to escape

You made a good point on the last page, that since she lowered the shields, she would be more aware of the need to evacuate than anyone else from the First Order.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 23, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

thrawn527 posted:

You made a good point on the last page, that since she lowered the shields, she would be more aware of the need to evacuate than anyone else from the First Order.

Also it's probably a good bet that even if she didn't think lowering the shields was enough, the shields combined with alarm klaxons a few minutes later was probably a good indication that she should get out of that garbage chute asap

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

thrawn527 posted:

He cared for 42, but the last time I remember him actually being fun was, I think, 6 Days 7 Nights. Which was in 1998.

Dude, how the hell could you forget Air Force One?

EDIT: Oh, it came out in '97. Carry on.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

jivjov posted:

Yeah, Williams traded in bombast for subtlety for the majority of this soundtrack and I really dig it. I could go for one "big" track akin to Duel of the Fates or the Imperial March...but overall this is an amazing score
Isn't Williams ill? I thought I heard in one of these Star Wars threads that he is ailing and didn't really compose that much of the movie.

Drone posted:

Also it's probably a good bet that even if she didn't think lowering the shields was enough, the shields combined with alarm klaxons a few minutes later was probably a good indication that she should get out of that garbage chute asap
Why wouldn't she leave the garbage chute as soon as she could anyway? Like if she didn't know the base was about to blow do you think she would just chill in a trash compactor until her shift was over?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

So, it appears that Disney hosed up and included a line in the Disney Infinity game confirming Rey's identity. I'm sure they'll patch it out, but it's blowing up the internet as we speak. If you want to know, you can do minor googling and find it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

KurdtLives posted:

Isn't Williams ill? I thought I heard in one of these Star Wars threads that he is ailing and didn't really compose that much of the movie.

I've not heard that at all.

Carteret posted:

So, it appears that Disney hosed up and included a line in the Disney Infinity game confirming Rey's identity. I'm sure they'll patch it out, but it's blowing up the internet as we speak. If you want to know, you can do minor googling and find it.

The original poster of that video retracted, claiming to have misheard the line.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I dunno, if you listen to the audio in the video I have no idea what else it could be.

Edit: I guess it's one of those you hear what you are told it is things. I hear both things now and don't know what is right lol. I hope it's wrong, because it just seems too predictable if true.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 24, 2015

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I listened to it, doesn't sound like a spoiler. They wouldn't have hosed up that bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not a spoiler. Apparently the identity of Rey hasn't actually been decided yet, and its up to the sequel writers to decide.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not a spoiler. Apparently the identity of Rey hasn't actually been decided yet, and its up to the sequel writers to decide.

Now that I don't believe at all. There's an outline and a plan for the whole trilogy, and the bare details were more than likely finalized before Episode VII ever was written.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Carteret posted:

I dunno, if you listen to the audio in the video I have no idea what else it could be.

I read a comment on one of the videos that said he's saying "Curses!" after taking damage from something.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
My uncle works at disney and said Rey is Lando's daughter.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am sure only the broad strokes are outlined but I feel something like that has got to be worked out by now.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Reading 'Aftermath' because I'm a garbage man that loves tie-in bullshit and I have to say I'm glad that the author ditched the old-EU habit of making up Star Wars-y sounding equivalents to real world phrases.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So I went into a cave from late October until I was able to see The Force Awakens yesterday. The books I missed are Twilight Company, The Perfect Weapon, four Tales From A Galaxy Far Far Away shorts, and Before the Awakening, right? Plus the inevitable reference book and novelization for the movie.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

KurdtLives posted:

I am sure only the broad strokes are outlined but I feel something like that has got to be worked out by now.

If everyone predicts their big twist it's possible they will reconsider the plot point. That's the upside of TFA not committing to much.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jivjov posted:

Now that I don't believe at all. There's an outline and a plan for the whole trilogy, and the bare details were more than likely finalized before Episode VII ever was written.

Given how down to the wire the writing on the movie went, and how Poe was originally supposed to die in that Tie crash, I could definitely believe they're flying by the seat of their pants.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Given how down to the wire the writing on the movie went, and how Poe was originally supposed to die in that Tie crash, I could definitely believe they're flying by the seat of their pants.

It's good to be able to adjust based on how things actually translate on screen but if you aren't careful you can really write yourself into a corner [but that's probably more a danger on a tv series].

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Constant Hamprince posted:

Reading 'Aftermath' because I'm a garbage man that loves tie-in bullshit and I have to say I'm glad that the author ditched the old-EU habit of making up Star Wars-y sounding equivalents to real world phrases.

I'm listening to the audiobook now. I'm glad too that the Star Wars-y phrase equivalents are gone, but there are still more than a few examples of saying something tastes like a gleepglorp fruit mixed with alien wildberries or whatever.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
"Star Warsy" phrases are a very strong seasoning. If you don't have any it doesn't taste right, but if you have too much it sends people running to throw up.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

yronic heroism posted:

If everyone predicts their big twist it's possible they will reconsider the plot point. That's the upside of TFA not committing to much.

Didn't make JJ reconsider Khan.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Keiya posted:

"Star Warsy" phrases are a very strong seasoning. If you don't have any it doesn't taste right, but if you have too much it sends people running to throw up.

Literally the worst thing about reading the Legacy comics. Everything is karking this, sleemo that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All right you fat, ugly fierfeks, come and get me!

Republic Commando did it best. (game not books, thought books 1 and 2 are good)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Finally got to see the movie last night and just caught up with the thread. (I poked my head into the thread in CineD but :stare: I think I'll post here.)

As a break from serious discussion of plot and cinematic craft, here's the Easter eggs I spotted:

R2-KT makes a cameo at the Resistance base when they come home from the big battle. :3:

Pretty sure I heard the Wilhelm scream in the TIE Fighter hangar sequence.

Finn's number (2187) is the same as Princess Leia's cell number in A New Hope.

One thing I didn't spot was the number 1138.

Any others?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

R2-KT makes a cameo at the Resistance base when they come home from the big battle. :3:

She's in an earlier shot also, really briefly in the background when our heroes first arrive there earlier in the movie.

Powered Descent posted:

Haha, that's great. I can't believe that I didn't catch that. My Star Wars nerd cred!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Powered Descent posted:

Finally got to see the movie last night and just caught up with the thread. (I poked my head into the thread in CineD but :stare: I think I'll post here.)

As a break from serious discussion of plot and cinematic craft, here's the Easter eggs I spotted:

Any others?

Daniel Craig plays the mind controlled Stormtrooper, and his callsign is JB-007. Ewan McGregor has a couple lines during Rey's vision, saying "Rey, these are the first steps". Simon Pegg plays Unkar Platt the scrap trader. On Starkiller base, you can hear Stormtroopers saying "we think they may be splitting up, they may be on levels five and six now, sir."

A bajillion flags, including the Mandalorian Sigil and Sebulba's pod racer colors are visible above Maz's bar.

Also, unspoilered, but I think I saw the A113 reference in Aurebesh.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 25, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Has anyone managed to CSI up some pictures of the New Republic warships that get blown up by Starkiller Base?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Powered Descent posted:

Any others?

Either Rey or Finn (can't remember) on the Millennium Falcon is looking for something, finds the saber training remote from ANH, and tosses it aside.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Daniel Craig plays the mind controlled Stormtrooper, and his callsign is JB-007. Ewan McGregor has a couple lines during Rey's vision, saying "Rey, these are the first steps". Simon Pegg plays Unkar Platt the scrap trader. On Starkiller base, you can hear Stormtroopers saying "we think they may be splitting up, they may be on levels five and six now, sir."

A bajillion flags, including the Mandalorian Sigil and Sebulba's pod racer colors are visible above Maz's bar.

Also, unspoilered, but I think I saw the A113 reference in Aurebesh.
A modified version of the 501st logo was at Maz's castle, too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Went back and watched my Laserdisc VHS copy of A New Hope. While I do appreciate having this cut, I'm gonna sound heretical and say that I kinda like the Special Edition from '97 better. Of the updated versions, this one is the least bad, I think, even with the bad Jabba CGI and Greedo shooting first. For one thing, unlike the 2004 version, it doesn't completely gut the fanfare during the Trench Run, and it doesn't have the "poo poo I stepped on a Lego" Obi Wan scream from the Blu-Ray edition.

What it does have is a fun nod to Shadows of the Empire, Luke's reunion with Biggs, and some loving great CGI for the Trench Run that replaces some of the dodgier looking segments. I'm willing to put up with bad changes to get to the stuff I like. 2004 version would be better if it hadn't ruined the music during the final fight.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arcsquad12 posted:

There were also stormtroopers gossiping about the new "TC-17s" (a la the T-16s the two stormtroopers Obi-Wan distracted were chatting about) in the hangar when Rey was sneaking around.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Either Rey or Finn (can't remember) on the Millennium Falcon is looking for something, finds the saber training remote from ANH, and tosses it aside.

That was Finn, when he was trying to treat Chewbacca.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
When Finn activates the Dejarik table on the Falcon I was sure they'd done it with CGI this time around.
Turns out I was wrong: http://makingstarwars.net/2015/12/short-doc-on-tippett-studios-recreating-the-holochess-sequence-for-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Greedo shooting first.

Sorry, but this is unforgivable. The glaring CGI Jabba and all that stuff? Fine, sure. I can cope. Greedo, though? That is a hill I am prepared to die on.