Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kuvo posted:

i just did a 50 minute aery for my that relic quest

i forgot to equip it when leaving :negative:

There was no reason to not having it equipped throughout those dungeons unless you were doing it unsynced. Level scaling makes your current Eso/Bardmode/Gordian/Not-Relic weapon all scale down to the same number anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

LordNat posted:

Anyways all that said I have been sucked back into EVE again so I am a crazy person and these are the rantings of a mad man.

Well, you certainly know a poo poo game when you see it.

I don't know, I'm at least somewhat hopeful. I don't think they're terribly responsive, but I'm hoping they're willing to learn well enough that they can keep it interesting and alive. It's a pretty good time generally, and if they learn their lesson they might have 4.0 content that holds up to 2.x. I can't think of a single MMO that didn't go to poo poo after its second expansion at latest, granted.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
I'm cautiously optimistic because I was expecting him to not address the issues at all and just white wash over them, however he did and seemed to see what is wrong. The part about incentive to raid was spot on and I hope the changes to effort vs reward structure of raiding will entice a lot more people into it. But it's not a big change. It's basically a backpedel to what raiding was like in 2.4, with the crafting changes too, so it's not touching on long running complaints people have and isn't going to entice them back.

What I don't understand is if the way they hosed up raid gear cornered them so much on the release of relic and gopdip, why didn't they just patch in a buff to gordian weapons? They did it in 2.1. I think they just wanted to ride this one out and simply follow a different release schedule but they've just realized how pissed off a lot of players are.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
At least raiding and the trial of 3.2 will be a fun experience. The materia stuff is a weird tax on the bad and doesn't make any sense but overall it shouldn't affect too much accept another barrier on those trying to get into hardcore raiding. A rebalanced not poo poo diadem experience could really help bring some life back into the game but I don't know how you'd salavage it without ripping it out and starting fresh. Maybe they'll do that with like a different zone.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

If they changed spiritbonding such that you could convert any piece of gear and converting only reset the spiritbond of a piece back to 0% and didn't destroy it, materia would be way less miserable.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Sure. Materia melding on gear. What a great feature added that's been requested by no one ever. What's next are they going to add reforging?

Also its adorable that they think diadem is fixable.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
They clearly planned on Diadem being A Thing so they will have to fix it.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Pews posted:

Yeeeah, we're probably stuck with that particular trash heap through to the next expansion :(

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Pews posted:

Diadem's not especially hard to fix, if your goal is to give people objective based gameplay. Make it so that every time you finish 3 objectives, you get a Gold chest instead of tomestones, and give a new set of objectives in its place. Just keep doing objectives until time runs out and walk away with your hunt-and-loot gear.

Is it great? No. But it works! And that's all you can really ask for out of a catchup system.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just got this from the humble bundle cause I always wanted to try it. Is it painful to level?

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Invalid Validation posted:

I just got this from the humble bundle cause I always wanted to try it. Is it painful to level?

No you'll have no problem leveling at all.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

No you'll have no problem leveling at all.

Yeah! The quest flow in the early levels isn't quite as nice as it is in WoW (there's a lot of backtracking and abruptly switching between zones) but it's still entirely up to the standards of modern MMO design.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Niton posted:

Diadem's not especially hard to fix, if your goal is to give people objective based gameplay. Make it so that every time you finish 3 objectives, you get a Gold chest instead of tomestones, and give a new set of objectives in its place. Just keep doing objectives until time runs out and walk away with your hunt-and-loot gear.

Is it great? No. But it works! And that's all you can really ask for out of a catchup system.

Yeah I would love if the objectives mattered and became the focal point of The Diadem, and a lot more variety in them besides "Slay X of Y" on the combat side. Defending a gathering class while they do their thing would be a good one right off the top of my head.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Make Diadem as easy as CT1 to gently caress with pubbies and I will run it all day every day.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Nope, playing through the Main Story Quest (especially in Heavensward) is probably the best part about the game, and is pretty quick and easy.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I bought the humble bundle and wanted to gift the FFXIV key to a friend I wanted to get into the game, but it turns I got a EU code from the bundle and my friend would need a NA key to register the game on their SE account, any chance anyone here want to trade the EU key I have for a NA key or simply have a NA key to spare? I don't have PMs unlocked, but if anyone has a key to trade/gitf please reach my at my email: Choyi1983@gmail.com

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Nope. Roll on Excalibur, join one of the goon FCs, bullshit with us in chat as you go and ask for company and help as you get to the point where you run group content. FFXIV goons are pretty drat helpful.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Maybe I'm in the minority when I say that I don't think materia melds on raid gear will be an issue, mainly because they won't allow overmelds or the main stat melds. Essentially you'll probably have 2 slots to toss in some critical hit and accuracy melds and call it a day. The materia market will boom like crazy for a bit, but it'll probably stabilize.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reminds me what shade of pink is best for dying the free gear crafted for lowbies?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

seiferguy posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority when I say that I don't think materia melds on raid gear will be an issue, mainly because they won't allow overmelds or the main stat melds. Essentially you'll probably have 2 slots to toss in some critical hit and accuracy melds and call it a day. The materia market will boom like crazy for a bit, but it'll probably stabilize.

Pretty obviously yeah. The problem is that it's just annoying as poo poo and adds nothing to the game. It doesn't allow for any substantial customization. It doesn't sink gil out the system. And if what they're saying about the difficulty then most groups probably won't even need melds to clear at all. The only thing it will really do is just make people more elitist than they already are and force people to run diadem more.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Reminds me what shade of pink is best for dying the free gear crafted for lowbies?

It doesn't matter. Just make sure they don't match. I usually do a pink, a light blue, honey yellow, and an orange or green.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
materia slots in a game where there are clear-cut best stats is kind of stupid, it's like stat point allocation

the illusion of choice

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Hivac posted:

materia slots in a game where there are clear-cut best stats is kind of stupid, it's like stat point allocation

the illusion of choice

There aren't clear-cut best stats. Stat priority changes for black mage with gear due to spellspeed scaling.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
i meant best stats for each individual class

so unless you really want to gear up BLM and SMN at the same time or something unless they're making more job exclusive gear

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hivac posted:

i meant best stats for each individual class

so unless you really want to gear up BLM and SMN at the same time or something unless they're making more job exclusive gear

We can hope that they'll do something interesting with the system, like create materia that grant bonuses other than a flat numerical increase to a stat, leading to actually meaningful customization options to go with adding slots to raid gear.

Yeah I couldn't even keep a straight face while typing that out.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
I've seen no indication they will prevent overmelding, they have only said you won't be able to overmeld main stats like you do on tank accessories.

It's not a bad concept in itself the problem is that, as they have explictly said, diadem has already been put aside as your materia farming spot and will likely remain the sole reliable source of rank 5 materia, so i hope people enjoy farming that for raids of all things. If overmelding rank 5 is viable and desired then jesus this could be painful, reminds me of the masterscroll poo poo in tera.

Also secondary stats are just plain boring in this game, this sort of customization would be interesting if the stats were.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

seiferguy posted:

My issue with it is that it will force me into Diadem, and that's just awful.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
As a latecomer I'm just enjoying putting around in lvl 30 something content to get the Eye for an eye so I can finish my whm. If you're on the fence, there is a few weeks of solo fun before end game that I can't speak for. To respond to the wow talk: there were definitely spans of 9 months easy where 0 content was realeased. Took my guild maybe 3-5 weeks to down lich king after the last gate opened and we killed him every week for 9 months after. Ended up having to bench people for their alts because they just couldn't get any more gear. "Oh another heroic zod's longbow dropped? Better shard it"

Edit: it is also pretty solid on ps4 with controller in at least low end content. It sounds insane coming from wow or whatever, but it really works pretty well. I dunno how much it is looked down upon though.

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 24, 2015

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

My issue with it is that it will force me into Diadem, and that's just awful.

Make some money and buy the materia instead, if Diadem is that hateful to you.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Despite all the doom and gloom in this thread, I still strongly recommend giving FFXIV a chance if you have never played an MMO or are otherwise sick of WoW. It's in a rough patch of late but I would still vouch for it over any MMO on the market right now if only for the unusual amount of effort put into its presentation and writing.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Fishious posted:

I've seen no indication they will prevent overmelding, they have only said you won't be able to overmeld main stats like you do on tank accessories.

It's not a bad concept in itself the problem is that, as they have explictly said, diadem has already been put aside as your materia farming spot and will likely remain the sole reliable source of rank 5 materia, so i hope people enjoy farming that for raids of all things. If overmelding rank 5 is viable and desired then jesus this could be painful, reminds me of the masterscroll poo poo in tera.

Also secondary stats are just plain boring in this game, this sort of customization would be interesting if the stats were.
Yoshida said out loud in the PLL that "Of course there will be no forbidden [melds]". Omitted in the translation because gently caress Western community

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Despite all the doom and gloom in this thread, I still strongly recommend giving FFXIV a chance if you have never played an MMO or are otherwise sick of WoW. It's in a rough patch of late but I would still vouch for it over any MMO on the market right now if only for the unusual amount of effort put into its presentation and writing.

Seconding this.

I'm still working my way through early leveling content, but the fact that you can change classes with very little trouble and without pouring hundreds of hours into a totally new character is entirely worth it alone, for me.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Also if you are just starting up you are at least three months away from starting to be affected by said rough patch, if not longer. So yeah, give it a go.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leofish posted:

Seconding this.

I'm still working my way through early leveling content, but the fact that you can change classes with very little trouble and without pouring hundreds of hours into a totally new character is entirely worth it alone, for me.

Thirding. Wasn't there a rough patch around 2.0/2.1, and then around 2.3? Because I seem to remember somewhat similar doom & gloom in this thread.

But what do I know, I'm on break from this game for a bit.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I dunno, I still like this game. 3.1 has kind of been a dud since diadem failed hard and I have little to no interest with LoV, but the Heavensward expansion has been great outside of savage raiding, which it looks like they're balancing in 3.2.

ARR content still remains plentiful. I still wish there was a concise effort to run CT, though.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Update CT's weekly to give a token for the new relic quest.

Hooray, we've saved CT! (Okay, maybe not fully, but this would be a start.) At this point, the only thing I can see them doing to actively try and make CT popular again is to upgrade the weekly quest rewards. :smith:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

The Grimace posted:

Update CT's weekly to give a token for the new relic quest.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't do this, since it's old content no one runs anymore and the whole point of the relic is to get people to run old content no one runs anymore

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Why are you guys hung up about CT? No one cares. People don't run old coil for relic, they don't run hard primals for it. Why were so many of you looking to run 24 man poo poo fests?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Belzac posted:

Why are you guys hung up about CT? No one cares. People don't run old coil for relic, they don't run hard primals for it. Why were so many of you looking to run 24 man poo poo fests?

It'd be more fun than old beast tribe quests, which there's no reason to make people go back and run because it's not even multiplayer content new players will have trouble getting groups for.

Also I want the pets now that they're a guaranteed drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Belzac posted:

Guaranteed drop pets that used to be rare as gently caress, and a bunch of nice-looking armor sets that have no crafted or dropped equivalent.

If you really want, you can farm coil's gear with 3 or 4 other people, but there's no clean equivalent for the 24-mans - you're stuck doing it at 50 cap with 23 others.

• Locked thread