Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

Also an estimate of the size of the rebel stack that might spawn, that would be great.

Yeah it's weird when a 5 development OPM revolts with a 40-stack and your forcelimit is only 35 or whatever but a comparatively huge 80 development country revolts and they get 7k troops and spawn on a fort so it doesn't even raise separatism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

PittTheElder posted:

Admin is great, because with a -50% core cost discount you can core most provinces for the same amount of admin they give you when you raze them. Diplomatic ideas are actually excellent, since they make vassal feeding more viable in general. And then means you get to take provinces, raze them, and then have someone else core them for you. Economic is wonderful for the autonomy reduction.

So is vassal feeding still the preferential treatment with hordes and razing? Never played hordes before this dlc

Wouldn't you lose a ton of prestige by taking a prov, razing it, then (I presume) selling it to a vassal?

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 24, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You can just straight up give your subjects provinces now via the subject interaction menu, which even lowers their liberty desire based on how good the province is.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

The really easy thing that we desperately need is to have the ledger list of rebels sort itself by revolt progress.

It'd also be nice to sort them by the estimated time they're going to rise up so you can see where your armies need to be easier than having to hover over each one and look for the lowest number if one isn't close to 100%.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

VDay posted:

You can just straight up give your subjects provinces now via the subject interaction menu, which even lowers their liberty desire based on how good the province is.

Well, forgot about that. This game has too many options.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

EwokEntourage posted:

So is vassal feeding still the preferential treatment with hordes and razing? Never played hordes before this dlc

Wouldn't you lose a ton of prestige by taking a prov, razing it, then (I presume) selling it to a vassal?

Also hordes don't pay the prestige penalty for returning provinces.

Vassal feeding isn't really needed for Hordes, but once you get admin efficiency and the -20 prov cost from diplomatic ideas going, you'll find you can take way more than 100WS in peace deals. That's what the vassals are for.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Yea, knew about not getting the penalty for return provs. So I guess you could take some provs, vassal the rest, raze, then return to the vassal?

Hordes add a lot of new gameplay to the combat. I like it. Also, despite playing this game a poo poo ton, I basically have no clue what I am doing half the time.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Going for a Kirishitan Japan run, stuck at the Kirishitan part. I let religious rebels revolt, and they converted a lot of provinces. They did not convert the nation however. So I looked it up on the wiki and the wiki says I'd need a plurality of provinces to be Catholic before rebels can make me convert. Since it was a dead tie between Shinto and Catholicism, I let it have another chance. The rebels came up, enforced their demands and...I'm not Catholic. I'm Shinto with 42% religious unity and I'm not sure how to convert to Catholicism.

e: Third time was the charm.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 24, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hey, how's Victoria 2? It's on sale on steam.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kurtofan posted:

Hey, how's Victoria 2? It's on sale on steam.

Once you get to grips with it, it can be very fun, if a bit byzantine at best. it's also an older title, so presentation very much suffers in comparison to newer titles.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cynic Jester posted:

Once you get to grips with it, it can be very fun, if a bit byzantine at best. it's also an older title, so presentation very much suffers in comparison to newer titles.

Are there plans for a new game?

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
Agitate for Liberty is the single most annoying thing they've ever put into this game. For 200 years a completely unknown country has been making my colonies and France revolt every 20 loving years and there's literally nothing I can do about it. I've wasted over 3000 dip trying to integrate France only for their liberty desire to go to 50 for the briefest moment when I'm almost done and then BAM they ally all my colonial nations and declare independence.

DeeEmTee fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 24, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DeeEmTee posted:

Agitate for Liberty is the single most annoying thing they've ever put into this game. For 200 years a completely unknown country has been making my colonies and France revolt every 20 loving years and there's literally nothing I can do about it. I've wasted over 3000 dip trying to integrate France only for their liberty desire to go to 50 for the briefest moment when I'm almost done and then BAM they ally all my colonial nations and declare independence.

:france:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

DeeEmTee posted:

Kill every country with Espionage ideas. All of them. Execute order 1666.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, the game is suddenly horrendously laggy by often freezing for a few seconds. It's pretty much unplayable now and happened without warning. :(

Custom nations are a lot of fun. I haven't really been focusing hard on conquest and have spent most of the game too horrendously starved for admin points to do much anyway.

No, I have no idea what Sweden is doing in Siberia.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is it possible to go from Oligarchic to Merchant Republic?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Oof. Finally bought the Cossacks.

Any suggestions which country to pick with the new stuff? I have been meaning to take a horde and go Qing, but don't know how hard/time-consuming it is - got myself a gigantic backlog of games including Elite and The Witcher, so I want a save to pad between long sessions of those games :downs:

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Transmetropolitan posted:

Oof. Finally bought the Cossacks.

Any suggestions which country to pick with the new stuff? I have been meaning to take a horde and go Qing, but don't know how hard/time-consuming it is - got myself a gigantic backlog of games including Elite and The Witcher, so I want a save to pad between long sessions of those games :downs:

Hordes are easy and fun right now. Golden Horde is a chill start.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

So I've conquered all of the required provinces to form Malaya (Sumatra+Borneo+Java) but the decision to form Malaya is still greyedi out, what gives?

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 24, 2015

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Whorelord posted:

So I've conquered all of the required provinces to form Malaya (Sumatra+Borneo) but the decision to form Malaya is still greyedi out, what gives?

You have to also colonize all the grey for those regions

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Yeah done that too, even conquered Sulu for the hell of it

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Post a picture so we can see if you're missing something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Whorelord posted:

So I've conquered all of the required provinces to form Malaya (Sumatra+Borneo+Java) but the decision to form Malaya is still greyedi out, what gives?

Mouse over the little question mark next to the decision, it'll tell you why.

And you don't actually have to conquer all of them, just 2/3.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tahirovic posted:

Is it possible to go from Oligarchic to Merchant Republic?

Yeah, there should be a decision in there to do it. I think the requirements are 1) complete Trade ideas, 2) complete Economic ideas, and 3) have under 20 provinces.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I had the best start to an Oman/Ibadi attempt. Crap ruler dies within the first month and gives me a 15 year old 4/5/5 on the throne, and Najd and Yemen don't bother allying anyone worthwhile.

Then...

I've never seen the Ottomans do so well in 1630. They just got done stomping the entire HRE + Castile to grab the rest of Austrian Hungary. They don't even care about me, just happily eating Russia and Europe without my help. To the east a Yarkand/Pasai/Bengal alliance is beating up Ming and making more dirty Sunni land.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Whorelord posted:

Yeah done that too, even conquered Sulu for the hell of it

You need the whole region that Sulu is in, which contains another small uncolonised island province, just east of Borneo

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Poil posted:

Welp, the game is suddenly horrendously laggy by often freezing for a few seconds. It's pretty much unplayable now and happened without warning. :(

I've been getting that a lot since I got The Cossacks. I haven't been able to isolate any trigger.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Was there a recent change with Cossacks or otherwise to how river crossings work? I thought if the attacking army had a leader with higher Maneuver, no -1 penalty to rolls from crossing rivers.

However, I'm cruising around with a 3 Maneuver general and he is consistently getting the river penalty against the enemy 0 Maneuver general and armies without generals at all.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I haven't noticed a problem with river crossings but doing a sortie from a siege and adding an army to it seems to give you the attacker terrain penalty now.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
EDIT: Wrong thread!

Vichan fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 25, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah, there should be a decision in there to do it. I think the requirements are 1) complete Trade ideas, 2) complete Economic ideas, and 3) have under 20 provinces.

Yeah that's the problem, I had more than 20 provinces and that decision was gone, so I was wondering if I could cheese it via one of the other two Republic decisions.

Anyone know if you're allowed to form Russia for Frozen Assets? (it says "start as Novogrod" but I don't want to mess up this awesome run)

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Has anyone done a Kazan WC yet? I can't tell if I'm too far behind or doing alright. About ready to burn the rest of India to the ground and I've cut the Ottomans in half so that any of their Asian/African land is distant overseas for them. Finished admin, influence and humanist and about to hit 14 to unlock diplomatic.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

Yeah that's the problem, I had more than 20 provinces and that decision was gone, so I was wondering if I could cheese it via one of the other two Republic decisions.

Anyone know if you're allowed to form Russia for Frozen Assets? (it says "start as Novogrod" but I don't want to mess up this awesome run)

You can form Russia no prob. Pretty sure those details should be in the achievements browser

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Can someone who understands combat mechanics better than me explain the following series of events

1) defeat enemy army
2) enemy army retreats one province over
3) with me in hot pursuit
4) instead of getting stackwiped, they are able to trade favorably before their one tick of morale is used up
5) goto 1

A lot of my infantry died in the initial engagement, i'm guessing it's something to do with that. i am somewhat bootybothered because this caused me to lose a very winnable war

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

TITY BOI posted:

Can someone who understands combat mechanics better than me explain the following series of events

1) defeat enemy army
2) enemy army retreats one province over
3) with me in hot pursuit
4) instead of getting stackwiped, they are able to trade favorably before their one tick of morale is used up
5) goto 1

A lot of my infantry died in the initial engagement, i'm guessing it's something to do with that. i am somewhat bootybothered because this caused me to lose a very winnable war

Did the turn of the month happen between them running and you pursuing? Morale recovers at the monthly tick.

e; also if you cannot deal enough morale damage to deplete their remaining morale before the first battle phase you will not be able to stackwipe them. this could be due to having a significant morale difference between your men and theirs.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 25, 2015

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Another Person posted:

Did the turn of the month happen between them running and you pursuing? Morale recovers at the monthly tick.

e; also if you cannot deal enough morale damage to deplete their remaining morale before the first battle phase you will not be able to stackwipe them. this could be due to having a significant morale difference between your men and theirs.

Yeah, they got one tick in. Even so, at the rate they were getting demolished in the first fight it seemed like it should have been over in a single phase.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Huh. It looks as though the "would cause so-and-so's annexation or vassalization" modifier on peace deals triggers whenever you try to take as many provinces as the defender has, even if you're actually taking those provinces from their colonial nation.

Nice...

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

TITY BOI posted:

Yeah, they got one tick in. Even so, at the rate they were getting demolished in the first fight it seemed like it should have been over in a single phase.

Yeah, don't expect to stackwipe guys after the first month tick unless you have a huge morale, discipline, tactics or combat ability bonus over the enemy.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think you can still do it during the first shockphase but not 100% sure, will tell you in a couple hours, starting my Kazan run now, should be the easiest way to pick up the Religious WC achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Tahirovic posted:

I think you can still do it during the first shockphase but not 100% sure, will tell you in a couple hours, starting my Kazan run now, should be the easiest way to pick up the Religious WC achievement.

Why Kazan, because hordes? Digging into Europe then their colonies seemed like it would be a pain. I was thinking Austria shutting down the reformation then pushing east would be better.

• Locked thread