Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
As I understand it space combat is generally better in a squadron style game because everyone is doing actual things instead of the one thing they can do that round at their space transport station. It's still not great, but everyone having their own ship is an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Alright so while the campaign proper is a still a ways off i know i've got one player that reads this thread so no peeking, you know who you are :v:

Anyway i wanted the threads help/ideas about this idea i had

So this campaign i've been thinking of for a while now hasn't really gotten very far off the ground yet, i've got my basic plot (the group is framed for the death of a senator, trying to clear their name is going to lead to many,many shenanigans while they uncover the conspiracy behind it) but what's been throwing me is how to mechanically incorporate my idea for the group's nemesis. A squad of genetically modified Stormtroopers that have basically been pumped full of midichlorians to allow them the use of Force Powers.

I've got it in my head that each one is going to do something special and compliment each other. Leader has Battle Meditation to make everybody else better, one has healing powers, one is certainly going to be up in the parties face with melee weapons and maybe some kind of sniper/ranged expert for a fourth? If there was a way to make a super tough tanky dude i might do that instead.

I've also got them encountering one of them alone (with some regular stormtroopers as backup), considering i'll be working with brands new characters how powerful roughly should i make him? At the moment he's sitting at 185 power level, can post the actual stats/equipment he's using if anybody wants to actually see it though

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I've also got them encountering one of them alone (with some regular stormtroopers as backup), considering i'll be working with brands new characters how powerful roughly should i make him? At the moment he's sitting at 185 power level, can post the actual stats/equipment he's using if anybody wants to actually see it though

As always, I will remind DMs that stormtroopers are the way they're depicted at the beginning of ANH: gently caress-your-poo poo-up powerful. 4 stormtrooper mooks and a rival is more than enough to TPK characters with less than 25 adventuring XP

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

4 storm troopers on their own can kill a party that isn't optimized for combat, starting off. I'd definitely tone down the encounter. On the other hand, if you really want to make them feel more powerful, nerf the troopers a bit I guess.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm pretty sure I don't have the free time to do it, but after TFA, a part of me actually kinda wants to run a Fantasy Flight Star Wars Age of Rebellion RPG set after ROTJ where I go "gently caress canon and continuity" and I just go wild and crazy and do whatever the gently caress I want. That means a space Cold War where the New Republic and Empire\First Order both have Death Stars, Solid Snake in space, SDF-1 Macross carriers with X-Wings on it and full on Gundam mobile suits in Star Wars.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm pretty sure I don't have the free time to do it, but after TFA, a part of me actually kinda wants to run a Fantasy Flight Star Wars Age of Rebellion RPG set after ROTJ where I go "gently caress canon and continuity" and I just go wild and crazy and do whatever the gently caress I want. That means a space Cold War where the New Republic and Empire\First Order both have Death Stars, Solid Snake in space, SDF-1 Macross carriers with X-Wings on it and full on Gundam mobile suits in Star Wars.

The only problem I really see with any of this is that Mobile Suits seem really crappy in Star Wars style space combat. They don't tend to have shields and are likely slower then a Tie Fighter. So odds are they will just get ripped apart in any standard space encounter. At most I can see it as some hidden Jedi weapon that needs mastery of the force for it to be effective in any real combat setting (much like the lightsaber)

The rest of it tho is fairly fine in the setting. There is no reason for both sides not to have super lasers pointed at each other much like we use Nukes now.
In the case of the SDF-1. That thing is kind of tiny in the Star Wars universe. It only clocks in at 1,210m while even a Imperial I-class Star Destroyer is 1,600m. Have a group of scavengers take over a old Star Destroyer left of dead at the battle of Endor and you have your wonder city ship right there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I notice that the new film doesn't reference stormtroopers being clones at all, so you can use it along with an alternate prequel history if you so choose. I figure future films will be the same.

I wonder, is there room for multiple Imperial Remnants (to borrow an EU term) post-Episode-VI?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Halloween Jack posted:

I notice that the new film doesn't reference stormtroopers being clones at all, so you can use it along with an alternate prequel history if you so choose. I figure future films will be the same.

I wonder, is there room for multiple Imperial Remnants (to borrow an EU term) post-Episode-VI?

Hell, I'm starting a post-Awakens story that has multiple Remnants - the background material out so far can support it if you read between the lines a bit. For closer to post-ROTJ, definitely, that is actually in the material. Supposedly they were naming Emperors left and right :v:

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Clones are phased out by the time the Empire is fully established. If you Star Wars Rebels show (official canon from Disney) they go over how Clones got phased out once they started to age and they moved to drafting/recruiting.

By the time of TFA comes around most of the old clone troopers are likely dead from their faster aging.

LordNat fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 21, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

The films are amazingly vague on the political situation outside of the Republic and New Order being things

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

LordNat posted:

By the time of TFA comes around most of the old clone troopers are likely dead from their faster aging.

This is incredibly briefly mentioned in TFA in a short exchange between Kylo and Hux, but I don't know what this thread's stance is on saying these things so... yeah. Clones are, if at least not still partially a thing, at least considered as viable still. They don't seem to be used by the First Order though.

But yeah, I thought EU always had multiple "remnants" in the form of the various warlords immediately following ROTJ (Zsinj, etc).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I would probably go for multiple Imperial Remnant factions too, and the First Order is just one of them.

LordNat posted:

The only problem I really see with any of this is that Mobile Suits seem really crappy in Star Wars style space combat. They don't tend to have shields and are likely slower then a Tie Fighter. So odds are they will just get ripped apart in any standard space encounter. At most I can see it as some hidden Jedi weapon that needs mastery of the force for it to be effective in any real combat setting (much like the lightsaber)

The rest of it tho is fairly fine in the setting. There is no reason for both sides not to have super lasers pointed at each other much like we use Nukes now.
In the case of the SDF-1. That thing is kind of tiny in the Star Wars universe. It only clocks in at 1,210m while even a Imperial I-class Star Destroyer is 1,600m. Have a group of scavengers take over a old Star Destroyer left of dead at the battle of Endor and you have your wonder city ship right there.

Yeah, I'm mostly thinking of something similar to VF-1 Valkyries that have a fighter mode and a "gerwalk" walker mode.

Also I don't mean the literal SDF-1 or literal Gundams and Zakus, but similar things. In other words, a big carrier in space with a bunch of fighters on it and some fighters that are humanoid shaped and can also work as walkers because it doesn't matter what shape spaceships are. And well, Star Wars already has walkers so I don't see what stops the Empire from slapping arms on an AT-ST.

Also force sensitives are very similar to newtypes, so I can see people outfitting fighters with Gundam style bits \ funnels which are basically flying laser cannons that fly around independently that you control with your brain. See also: shmup style options in games like Gradius and R-Type.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I would probably go for multiple Imperial Remnant factions too, and the First Order is just one of them.

Yeah, I'm mostly thinking of something similar to VF-1 Valkyries that have a fighter mode and a "gerwalk" walker mode.

Also I don't mean the literal SDF-1 or literal Gundams and Zakus, but similar things. In other words, a big carrier in space with a bunch of fighters on it and some fighters that are humanoid shaped and can also work as walkers because it doesn't matter what shape spaceships are. And well, Star Wars already has walkers so I don't see what stops the Empire from slapping arms on an AT-ST.

Also force sensitives are very similar to newtypes, so I can see people outfitting fighters with Gundam style bits \ funnels which are basically flying laser cannons that fly around independently that you control with your brain. See also: shmup style options in games like Gradius and R-Type.

I know in canon they covered the idea of walkers being really hard to even keep upright at all (once again Clone Wars and Rebels). Like that is why AT-AT and AT-STs are not really that scary for ground combat, they are lightly armored with just basic blast shielding and even a small push can knock them over. One of the main reasons the AT-AT was such a big deal is that they figured out how to put any armor on it and rise it above ground level (unlike the AT-ET that was low to the ground and easy to board) without it falling over.

Now all that dumb nerd poo poo out of the way. I can see something working like the VF-1s. Maybe something like the T-65 with the Hyperdrive and launch tubes removed to make room for limbs and a beam weapon.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The conversation some retired clone troopers have in Rebels when they see an AT-AT is pretty amusing.

"How many legs does it have?"
"Four!"
"Four? How is it not falling over?"

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The conversation some retired clone troopers have in Rebels when they see an AT-AT is pretty amusing.

"Four!"

It works in context to the tech they know with AT-ET/OT having 6 legs and still not being very stable. Something that tall with 4 legs is kind of crazy from their point of view.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

LordNat posted:

Clones are phased out by the time the Empire is fully established. If you Star Wars Rebels show (official canon from Disney) they go over how Clones got phased out once they started to age and they moved to drafting/recruiting.

The story mode for Battlefront II goes into this too, although it's probably Legends now. Basically, at some point the Kamino cloners revolted and the 501st (Vader's personal legion, the dudes in blue who backed him up when he stormed the Jedi temple) had to go in and stomp them out, and from the point forward there weren't any more Jango clones. After a while, the 501st prides themselves on being the last remaining stromtrooper legion that's 100% Fett.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Same - they would be the most dangerous, since they use the Knights of Ren and can invent and build new superweapons and have Snoke in charge, but you could have other remnants with different strategies and advantages.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"Four!"

Droids walk on two legs all the time. I'd imagine it would do things like balance automatically.

Japanese mecha are basically just big robots with no "higher brain functions" and have a human pilot instead. So I'd imagine in Star Wars, they're basically just be big droids with a guy inside telling it what to do, pretty much.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Same - they would be the most dangerous, since they use the Knights of Ren and can invent and build new superweapons and have Snoke in charge, but you could have other remnants with different strategies and advantages.

And other Imperial Factions might not even be outright belligerent as they don't want to fight the New Republic.

The new movie kinda hints toward a "Cold War" situation itself, in that the New Republic doesn't officially want to fight the First Order, but instead fights proxy wars by giving support to the Resistance behind the scenes.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 21, 2015

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

If I already own the EotE screen, are the lightsaber hilt crafting rules and guidelines for knight level play useful enough to be worth buying the FoD GM kit?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Requesting some advice on character building for a Rebels-era game, supposedly starting at Knight-level XP.

The basic idea is an older former Jedi who, while not quite renouncing the Order, felt like Jedi shouldn't be fighting a war. So as soon as he was made a Knight during the Clone Wars, exercised the Right of Denial, turned in his lightsaber, and went to go work with the AgriCorps settling a frontier world. Immediately after the knighting ceremony. Annoyed the hell out of his master.

Order 66, he goes underground, fuzzed out his connection to the Force as best he could, and has been a nerf herder ever since. Like, actually herding nerfs. I have this mental picture of him as a ranch owner, taking in troubled young folks and helping them get themselves sorted out until they're squared away enough to move on with their lives.

Anyway, Empire trouble happens, and he gets sucked into the campaign and taking up the mantle of a Jedi once again.

So I'm looking for two pieces of advice.

1) How to make him seem less derivative of Kanan Jarrus and Ahsoka Tano.

2) How to build him career/specialty wise. The suggestion has been made to go Consular/Niman Disciple picking up Beast Rider and focusing more on the latter set of skills, going back into ND as the game progresses. But I'm wondering if Seeker/Pathfinder might not be a better starting point, going into a lightsaber form later. Also looking for build synergies that work with the concept.

Any thoughts? Or have I just found an insanely complex concept that can't be modeled right off?

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 24, 2015

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Requesting some advice on character building for a Rebels-era game, supposedly starting at Knight-level XP.

The basic idea is an older former Jedi who, while not quite renouncing the Order, felt like Jedi shouldn't be fighting a war. So as soon as he was made a Knight during the Clone Wars, exercised the Right of Denial, turned in his lightsaber, and went to go work with the AgriCorps settling a frontier world. Immediately after the knighting ceremony. Annoyed the hell out of his master.

Order 66, he goes underground, fuzzed out his connection to the Force as best he could, and has been a nerf herder ever since. Like, actually herding nerfs. I have this mental picture of him as a ranch owner, taking in troubled young folks and helping them get themselves sorted out until they're squared away enough to move on with their lives.

Anyway, Empire trouble happens, and he gets sucked into the campaign and taking up the mantle of a Jedi once again.

So I'm looking for two pieces of advice.

2) How to build him career/specialty wise. The suggestion has been made to go Consular/Niman Disciple picking up Beast Rider and focusing more on the latter set of skills, going back into ND as the game progresses. But I'm wondering if Seeker/Pathfinder might not be a better starting point, going into a lightsaber form later. Also looking for build synergies that work with the concept.

Any thoughts? Or have I just found an insanely complex concept that can't be modeled right off?

I don't have the book on me now but here it is off the top of my head.

If your GM allows EotE careers, here is what I would suggest: I would pick something from Edge of the Empire for your main farming stuff, like colonist, then take force sensitive exile. Your GM should allow you to take up F&D specializations as you start to get back into it as the campaign progresses.

You have the ability to work with the force but you left it behind and instead tried becoming a farmer until life called you back.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
How is the equipment balance? It looks like it goes "cheap gun" to "expensive gun"

Is there any kind of "gun with speciality in situation x" or is everyone just going to grab the most expensive gun they can once they have money/rarity rolls.

My group is transferring over from fate and may have a chunk of money depending on how this last adventure goes. Money doesn't really have a major mechanical impact in fate but it does in edge so I don't want everyone to just be massively geared monsters.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ShineDog posted:

How is the equipment balance? It looks like it goes "cheap gun" to "expensive gun"

Is there any kind of "gun with speciality in situation x" or is everyone just going to grab the most expensive gun they can once they have money/rarity rolls.

My group is transferring over from fate and may have a chunk of money depending on how this last adventure goes. Money doesn't really have a major mechanical impact in fate but it does in edge so I don't want everyone to just be massively geared monsters.

It is roughly "cheap gun" to "expensive gun," with the added wrinkles that extra expense may put the gun under a different skill (Light, Heavy, Gunnery) or change around desirable characteristics that trigger with enough Advantage.

The "best" guns are generally Restricted, so carrying their best stuff into every situation will complicate their jobs. Even if it isn't the Empire taking notice, criminal factions and local law enforcement are likely to notice people carrying around weapons that defy Imperial law.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ramba Ral posted:

I don't have the book on me now but here it is off the top of my head.

If your GM allows EotE careers, here is what I would suggest: I would pick something from Edge of the Empire for your main farming stuff, like colonist, then take force sensitive exile. Your GM should allow you to take up F&D specializations as you start to get back into it as the campaign progresses.

You have the ability to work with the force but you left it behind and instead tried becoming a farmer until life called you back.

I had looked at Colonist, but none of the specializations really applied. Which seems like an oversight, not having anything under Colonist that would make a good pioneer type, but whatever.

On the other hand, a fresh look at Bounty Hunter/Survivalist shows a lot of the skills and talents I'm looking for - emphasis on tracking and wilderness suvival, but I can make that work. So yeah, that plus FS Exile may be closest to what I'm looking for, going into Pathfinder and maybe a saber form (Shien? Depends on what my best characteristic winds up, probably) later once I get a saber.

As an aside, does anybody know why Soresu Defender uses Intellect for Lightsaber, when nothing else about the career is in any way Intellect-based? Seems like it'd be more appropriate for it to use Willpower, and make Niman Disciple use Intellect since Consular stuff is much more reliant on that. Every other lightsaber form specialization besides those two is well-matched to their skill use.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I had looked at Colonist, but none of the specializations really applied. Which seems like an oversight, not having anything under Colonist that would make a good pioneer type, but whatever.

On the other hand, a fresh look at Bounty Hunter/Survivalist shows a lot of the skills and talents I'm looking for - emphasis on tracking and wilderness suvival, but I can make that work. So yeah, that plus FS Exile may be closest to what I'm looking for, going into Pathfinder and maybe a saber form (Shien? Depends on what my best characteristic winds up, probably) later once I get a saber.

As an aside, does anybody know why Soresu Defender uses Intellect for Lightsaber, when nothing else about the career is in any way Intellect-based? Seems like it'd be more appropriate for it to use Willpower, and make Niman Disciple use Intellect since Consular stuff is much more reliant on that. Every other lightsaber form specialization besides those two is well-matched to their skill use.

Double check the colonist sourcebook if you only looked at the core eote book just in case one of those fits better. Not saying one will since I can't remember what's in that book but there might be something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Once all 6 career splats for a given line are out, I'd really like to see FFG release a career compendium. All 6 spec trees for each career, plus the signature abilities. No gear or adventure hooks, just basically a "complete" version of the spec tree chapter from the core book.

Is this a complete pipe dream? Or within the realm of possibility?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about feeling like a Kanan/Ahsoka knock-off. Your origin story will be vaguely similar, but you'll probably do your own thing once the game starts.

To be honest, a lot of my characters in past RPGs have started out as a vague copy of an existing character's concept, but rapidly differentiated themselves in actual play.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

Once all 6 career splats for a given line are out, I'd really like to see FFG release a career compendium. All 6 spec trees for each career, plus the signature abilities. No gear or adventure hooks, just basically a "complete" version of the spec tree chapter from the core book.

Is this a complete pipe dream? Or within the realm of possibility?

Pipe dream. It's not the 90s anymore, and I'm sure they barely make a profit on the splats as they are, since printing and such, unlike digital, actually costs a decent amount.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Epi Lepi posted:

Double check the colonist sourcebook if you only looked at the core eote book just in case one of those fits better. Not saying one will since I can't remember what's in that book but there might be something.

Doctor, Politico, Scholar, Entrepreneur, Marshal, Performer.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Howdy.

So I'll be running my last sessions of Fate with Star Wars dudes this weekend to transition over to this system. Still haven't played it so I'd like any new GM advice you can give. I've got some specific questions and concerns too.

First - Any house rules I should be aware of? It looks like it's pretty common to nerf auto fire by requiring each extra shot after the first to require another advantage. Is this fair?

I've seen entire re-writes of the space combat rules since it's apparently bad. If that's a good idea I'd probably prefer to start with it rather than learn the RAW. If theres no good patch for RAW I could just run space combat entirely narratively?

Concern - Over the course of playing much DnD and similar my group (including me) has generally settled on being fairly averse to the idea of tight HP budgets. If everyone has 3hp left they'll end up sleeping it off and the adventure will grind to a halt. We've ended up moving to things like Strike where HP is an abstract of how bruised and tired you are and you just reset to max at the end of the encounter. This game appears to treat wounds fairly literally and makes them hard to heal as a result and I'm really not sure if that'll go down well.

My off the cuff idea for how to solve this without really understanding the system in detail : Wounds are not necessarily literal wounds, and are a general mark of combat damage and fatigue. All wounds are healed as an encounter ends. To offset the easier combat, in addition to normal crits, at 50% of wound threshold the player is bloodied and rolls on the crit table.

Obviously this is a pretty fundamental change, but I know my group and I know they'd sooner be free to be big and heroic and charging into battle with your arm in a sling and disadvantage dice instead of going down instantly the next time they get tagged.. If anyone can think of a better way to handle that please let me know.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Space combat works as RAW. Just don't have anyone specialize in piloting only.

Wounds and healing work like the movies. People get shot and hurt or die but the heroes can be patched up easily. Look at the Doctor and Combat Medic specializations. Stimpacks are what you want.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
In the current FATE game no one is really a doctor, although I guess the astromech kind of is. I guess they can go to it for healing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Anyone can use stimpacks but Doctors and Combat Medics are better at it

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Whelp, my AoR/EotE game just went kaputz.

*sigh* Oh well. I'll find another adventure to slot in my secret Imperial research base that was hidden in the corona of a pulsar star in the middle of a nebula, that was busily developing a Midichlorian-annihilator ray powered by a goddamn imprisoned Ortolan Sith Lord that was plugged into the heart of the machine. I'm sure that will come up again. I'm sure.

susan fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 27, 2015

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

alg posted:

Space combat works as RAW. Just don't have anyone specialize in piloting only.

I have my first game of this coming up and was planning on making a droid smuggler with the pilot specialization. Is that a bad idea?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

ShineDog posted:

Howdy.

So I'll be running my last sessions of Fate with Star Wars dudes this weekend to transition over to this system. Still haven't played it so I'd like any new GM advice you can give. I've got some specific questions and concerns too.

First - Any house rules I should be aware of? It looks like it's pretty common to nerf auto fire by requiring each extra shot after the first to require another advantage. Is this fair?

I've seen entire re-writes of the space combat rules since it's apparently bad. If that's a good idea I'd probably prefer to start with it rather than learn the RAW. If theres no good patch for RAW I could just run space combat entirely narratively?

Concern - Over the course of playing much DnD and similar my group (including me) has generally settled on being fairly averse to the idea of tight HP budgets. If everyone has 3hp left they'll end up sleeping it off and the adventure will grind to a halt. We've ended up moving to things like Strike where HP is an abstract of how bruised and tired you are and you just reset to max at the end of the encounter. This game appears to treat wounds fairly literally and makes them hard to heal as a result and I'm really not sure if that'll go down well.

My off the cuff idea for how to solve this without really understanding the system in detail : Wounds are not necessarily literal wounds, and are a general mark of combat damage and fatigue. All wounds are healed as an encounter ends. To offset the easier combat, in addition to normal crits, at 50% of wound threshold the player is bloodied and rolls on the crit table.

Obviously this is a pretty fundamental change, but I know my group and I know they'd sooner be free to be big and heroic and charging into battle with your arm in a sling and disadvantage dice instead of going down instantly the next time they get tagged.. If anyone can think of a better way to handle that please let me know.
You can heal wounds easily anyway- ~10 free/day from Stimpacks, 3-5 from Medicine after each fight. You'll go into most fights with a nearly full tank. Running out from time to time isn't a big deal either- it's only once you've got 5+ critical injuries that you're under threat when you run out of HP. Honestly your fix makes combat *more* dangerous by making it easier to take crits.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Roach Warehouse posted:

I have my first game of this coming up and was planning on making a droid smuggler with the pilot specialization. Is that a bad idea?

It's fine to be a pilot- I think the problem is only being a pilot.

Space combat is okay, but it's obviously meant to be as quick and brutal as the ground combat- you shouldn't need too many rolls in any given scene so long as you spend your advantage/disadvantage/triumph/despair well. I don't think it works to well as just 'a series of random space battles'.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Talkie Toaster posted:

You can heal wounds easily anyway- ~10 free/day from Stimpacks, 3-5 from Medicine after each fight. You'll go into most fights with a nearly full tank. Running out from time to time isn't a big deal either- it's only once you've got 5+ critical injuries that you're under threat when you run out of HP. Honestly your fix makes combat *more* dangerous by making it easier to take crits.

OK, we'll see how it goes. The teams NPC lovely broken astromech is the teams medic and I'm sure nothing can ever go wrong there.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
A pilot can wind up a pretty decent ranged combat generalist just from having a high agility, so it's not all bad, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Just encourage the pilot to take a few ranks of Light or Heavy weaponry and they will be a good contributor to the group. They can even be the fixer by taking some ranks in Mechanics.