Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Isn't Wilderness War pretty good? I got a copy for Xmas and I haven't even touched the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Caedar posted:

I think I'm attracted to the COIN stuff and Twilight Struggle because they avoid the bolt-counting that looks prevalent in games like Pursuit of Glory etc. While the interactions between factions in a COIN game are quite complicated and take many plays to understand to any level of competency, the core mechanics and the information that you're working with is pretty simple (you have two, maybe three, types of pieces that don't really have "stats" but different capabilities). Seeing a counter with "XXX [symbol] 8-12 1 Ind o" immediately turns me off—which might be prejudiced, but that's just my gut reaction. Then add the idea that there might be different counters with that much info stacked on each other, and I begin to blanch. I'd love to be sold on the idea that it isn't as nit-picky and overly details-oriented as it seems, though. (Oddly enough, I'm fine with games like Eclipse where that info is expanded onto a full sheet in front of me.)

So, the funny thing is, the only thing that matters is the number on the bottom and usually a stripe on the counter. The XXX and symbol is cruft, just a historical designation. In almost no game is that actually important.

One is usually combat strength or attack strength, the other is defense, movement, or loss factors, depending on the system. They're not really rivet-counters, but grogs like to have specific units and such to see, so that's what the top half of the counter is all about.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 23, 2016

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Someone who counts rivets (one caught up on minute details for the sake of realism).

E: or in context of the previous post, it's meaningless detail that does not affect the game play, but would enrage grogs if it were not included.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 24, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Like, I'm sure there were people upset that EotS only models ships at the divisional level and only bothers modeling one destroyer unit, for example.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
That's a common misconception.

Rivet counters are placed on vehicles in ASL who were constructed using rivets, as opposed to welded joints. When a hit resolves as glancing, it has a chance to shear the rivets which causes you to resolve malfunctions against the first column to the left of the one stated on the vehicle's counter.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There were a few different types of tanks in early wwii that were sealed using pop rivets. They were easy to make and took less time, the problem being that when they took a broadside hit that did not penetrate the armor, the pop rivets would shear and spray around the interior of the tank, acting as shrapnel.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

That's a common misconception.

Rivet counters are placed on vehicles in ASL who were constructed using rivets, as opposed to welded joints. When a hit resolves as glancing, it has a chance to shear the rivets which causes you to resolve malfunctions against the first column to the left of the one stated on the vehicle's counter.

I have never seen this counter.

Unless this is a joke post - war gaming has destroyed my ability for humor.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That was a joke

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I'm just glad it was believable enough that you weren't sure.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
In true grognard circles, we call that joke a Seventy P

:smuggo:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lord Frisk posted:

Someone who counts rivets (one caught up on minute details for the sake of realism).

E: or in context of the previous post, it's meaningless detail that does not affect the game play, but would enrage grogs if it were not included.

Strange, I thought the correct term for people who get needlessly enraged when the SS don't get their own cool black counters was 'wehraboo'.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Rivet Counters exist across games and time periods. The biggest concentrations are in historical miniature wargames. Hence the joke in their thread title. Napoleonics have the second highest concentration after WWII

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Same here. I no longer know what's real and what passes for ASL humor.

"ASL is not a difficult game, a normal person who studies the manual can learn it in a month or two" - a completely serious post that I once saw on CSW

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Obfuscation posted:

"ASL is not a difficult game, a normal person who studies the manual can learn it in a month or two" - a completely serious post that I once saw on CSW

The more fun way to learn ASL is just playing with someone else. Make sure you have time to check the manual constantly, ask questions, and keep playing if you make errors.

Edit: What's the learning time on something like World in Flames?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There are games that aren't difficult in of themselves but they have a lot of chrome plaster on top.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
EotS for 40 dollars on CoolStuffInc.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/135328

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Got CC:Napoleonics for Christmas and played through a learning game solo.

Rolica (First Position) - setup
(Note the completely anachronistic Soviet dice tower)

End of the game (I played to 6 points, but I think the scenario actually called for 5. Whoops)
Look at that graveyard!

Overall I had a lot of fun, even though I'm sure I messed up or forgot rules here and there. I didn't use the Square Formation at all, since I really didn't focus on those rules. I'll brush up on that for next game. Also forgot about Battling Back after melee attacks a lot of the time.

One question I have though - is there really any big advantage to leaders, aside from historical flair? Looks like the only bonus they give is ignoring retreats, but at the risk of them dying and scoring an extra point for the opponent.

Final thoughts: great game, great system, a lot more engaging to me than Memoir '44. I haven't played CC:Ancients, but judging from what I've seen, I would probably rank the system games Napoleonics > Ancients > Memoir. Also, I don't really know enough about The Great War to rank it. Seems like it'd be really similar to M44.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Leaders get a buff in the newest expansion where they get their own mini deck to play with. In the base game they really only help in morale and with a few card bonuses like leadership.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In ancients units attached to leaders and units adjacent score a hit when a leader symbol is rolled, allowing you to hit more often. Never played napoleonics though

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

My wife was always complaining about how I take up the dining room table to play my games, so gosh darn it I decided to make a table with a removable top so she can have her dinner table and I can have my gaming table.

I'm pretty excited to build it!

It's coming together!

All I have left is to sand, stain, and put down some microsuede on the gaming surface.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

It's coming together!

All I have left is to sand, stain, and put down some microsuede on the gaming surface.

:yeah:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Where's Battlelore fit into the "Napoleonics > Ancients > Memoir" equation?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

A Strange Aeon posted:

Dunno, haven't played it :shrug:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Send it to me. Thanks!

Sweet table though. Great job. Just don't forget you've a game in there should you need to move it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

COOL CORN posted:

It's coming together!

I'm thinking about building one myself. How come you are going with microsuede? I thought about speed cloth or just cheap felt.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If your fabric store has it, look at headliner. It has a thin foam backing that gives dice some bounce, and makes picking up cards wonderful :allears:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Have you thought of breaking the tabletop in two for sensible assembly/disassembly?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Have you thought of breaking the tabletop in two for sensible assembly/disassembly?

This is my first real furniture project, there's not much "sensible" about it.

sonatinas posted:

I'm thinking about building one myself. How come you are going with microsuede? I thought about speed cloth or just cheap felt.

I have a buddy that built a similar table, and tells me that felt will pill up and rip a lot easier than microsuede. I don't know much about speed cloth.

Carteret posted:

If your fabric store has it, look at headliner. It has a thin foam backing that gives dice some bounce, and makes picking up cards wonderful :allears:

I'll keep an eye out!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I thought of something like those guys do: http://www.rnpdice.pl/EN/galeria.html

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm a fan of Memoir's, so I'd put it after that, but I think there's a possibility of enjoying the hidden information element of the units. I think it depends on how much you enjoy the fantasy part. I'm not a fan of the BL fantasy trappings (bland, IMO), and the addition of a magic system doesn't do much for me.

What's the same: Orders from cards. Basics of combat. Units are fully functional until wiped out.

What's different: No historical scenarios (because no history), instead, you pick your side of the board's terrain from a limited set of layouts that are paired with a similar set of choices for your opponent. You buy your army with points, and when you deploy them, you do it by secret card placement, so that as you reveal, the opponent may find out that you deployed nothing to a flank--just decoy 'blank' cards. Or you put out a bunch of archers and no cavalry. Or there's a pile of huge monsters.

So, IMO, I'm not interested. I mean, sure, cool and whatever, but what I like about the CnC games is that tenuous connection to history that makes the order system feel more like it's telling a story, and that your objective is something that matters because the scenario really happened. BL is more like a fast paced lightweight miniatures wargame, where you buy your armies and match up. For me, I just go play those games when that's what I want. The front-loaded part of BL slows down the slick CnC rules in my opinion. But it might also give them an eternal freshness that you crave!

These guys did a good review of it (stick through the hammy intro, it's kind of funny):
http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/review-battle-lore/

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Doesnt Napoleonics have a change in combat effectiveness after units are reduced? Like when you're down to one block you lose a die?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Never played them. I also haven't played all the Memoir expansions, so maybe there's logistics rules for special cards that act like magic does in BL. In which case, I'm ambivalent about those rules.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

Doesnt Napoleonics have a change in combat effectiveness after units are reduced? Like when you're down to one block you lose a die?

Using a standard French Line Infantry as an example - if you don't move, you roll a number of dice equal to the number of blocks you have left. If you move, you roll 1/2 (rounded up) of the number of blocks you have.

French Light Infantry is the same, except you add 1 to the result in either case.

So, 4 Light Infantry would roll 5 firing stationary, and 3 if they move.
2 Light Infantry would roll 3 firing stationary, and 2 if they move.

It can get a little confusing, but the player aids spell it all out really well.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My girlfriend got me Der Weltkrieg: Tannenberg for Christmas.

This...this is what it's like when crack dealers give you the first taste for free isn't it :ohdear:

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

I'll be playing Empire of the Sun this weekend for the first time. Should we use the Turn 2 start for the short campaign or Turn 1 where the Japan player runs Operation Z and IAI? I'll be playing Allies. The Japan player has played before, but it was 7 or 8 years ago with the first edition. So we've both been boning up on the rules.

On a side note, I was looking for some play by post games to follow along with and was told that consimworld.com were a good place for that. :psyduck: those forums, I couldn't find anything I was looking for.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Rockker posted:

I'll be playing Empire of the Sun this weekend for the first time. Should we use the Turn 2 start for the short campaign or Turn 1 where the Japan player runs Operation Z and IAI? I'll be playing Allies. The Japan player has played before, but it was 7 or 8 years ago with the first edition. So we've both been boning up on the rules.

On a side note, I was looking for some play by post games to follow along with and was told that consimworld.com were a good place for that. :psyduck: those forums, I couldn't find anything I was looking for.

Definitely do the Turn 2 start. Turn 1 is a weird game unto itself, and the Japanese player can really cheese the game if he knows what he's doing, but gently caress up if he doesn't. After the game, come back and try it.