Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

That's actually all explained in the title crawl. Did you come in late?

quote:

Episode VII
THE FORCE AWAKENS

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts….

I mean, I get that the Republic and Resistance are allied, but I could tell that from the film without the crawl. The only reason I can see for them being separate entities is so that when the Republic gets got there's still the Resistance around to blow up Death Star III and fulfill the role of the Rebellion from the OT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Mine is how does he keep that 70s hair all volumized under a hood and mask all day?

"Midichlorians" and now imagine George Lucas doing the Aliens guy hands

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

centaurtainment posted:

I mean, I get that the Republic and Resistance are allied, but I could tell that from the film without the crawl. The only reason I can see for them being separate entities is so that when the Republic gets got there's still the Resistance around to blow up Death Star III and fulfill the role of the Rebellion from the OT.

This is how I saw it. Star Wars Spoilers.

Republic = A few planets trying to make a galactic empire type deal again, but probably way smaller than the old Empire or the Old Republic. Not concerned with fighting stuff, too busy governing. Has to remain in the open to maintain legitimacy.
Resistance = Anti-First Order and Anti-whatever-other-Empire-stuff-still-around organization dedicated to fighting it, will likely just join the Republic when all that poo poo is over. Not concerned with governing stuff, too busy fighting. Has to remain hidden because of the First Order.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Watching The Knick, it's really silly how the main plot of the show is about a black doctor dealing with prejudice in a 1900s hospital while also having two of the big side characters be a corrupt oirish catholic constable and an anachronistic yellow peril chinaman who runs an opium den. Like, if you want to make a show about how racism is bad maybe don't also engage in two of the laziest racist stereotypes of that era?

Android Bicyclist posted:

My IMM of The Force Awakens is how jagged the blaster bolts are. When Ken force stops a blaster shot it's really apparent.

That was 100% intentional. Kylo Ren's lightsaber has that same jagged effect on its blade while Luke's lightsaber is still a completely smooth cylinder of light like in the original movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

centaurtainment posted:

The Republic is officially at peace with the First Order and can't really afford a war because they're clearly outgunned, so they fund the Resistance.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

EmmyOk posted:

Location, location, location.

Haha, I was exactly the same watching UTOPIA which is meant to take place in London but it was filmed almost entirely in Liverpool. Wasn't just the small things like, "Hey, I live next to that duck pond!" But shots done atop buildings with a view of the skyline and it's just Liverpool!

Maybe the city isn't as iconic to other people as it is to me and Yanks definitely wont notice. But still...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I had to quit watching Anatomy about 20 minutes in because I'm familiar with Heidelberg University and they tried to sell one of the main auditorium buildings as a dorm. Then you saw the protagonists in their dorm room and they were like, oh no class starts in ten minutes we have to run. Yeah good luck with that, the med faculty buildings are all the way across town.

e: they also went to the "dorm" by bus and there was room to sit. That one only got a bitter laugh from me.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Dec 24, 2015

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ratatouille :
I don't give a gently caress how passionate he is about the food I don't want a filthy diseased riddled rat making my food.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Ratatouille :
I don't give a gently caress how passionate he is about the food I don't want a filthy diseased riddled rat making my food.

#notallrats

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

centaurtainment posted:

What are you, some kind of communist?

TFA IIMM: There's a Resistance, a Republic, and a First Order, and their respective roles are never explained. Basically, why is there a Resistance before the Republic is blowed up all at once? Wouldn't the Rebels have joined the Republic after winning at the end of Jedi? It's like if George Washington and Ben Franklin kept leading the Continental Army and Congress after they won the Revolutionary War, and those things continued to exist as entities separate from the newly formed United States. It makes no goddamn sense, and will never be explained because now the Republic is gone and things are back to the way they were in the Original Trilogy. I wouldn't have thought that this was irrational, but no one else I've talked to about it seems to care or find it the least bit irritating.

A New Hope was kind of hazy about how the political structure worked, too. We knew about a rebellion and an empire but the emperor apparently had a Senate for some reason which he just dissolved because he felt like it?

It's not till the prequels that we got an intimate look at politics of the star wars universe and so I think that's enough to say being vague is better.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Ratatouille :

To be fair, he adhered to strict codes of hygiene even before starting to cook. Remy was no dirtier than the average human, outside the short jaunt through a sewer. He also sanitized the other rats when they needed to help during the climax.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
A cooking rat that washes his hands is probably more sanitary than your typical chef anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Star Wars IIMMs Chewie walking right past Leia after Han's death. What the gently caress, dude? Don't leave some random girl you barely know to comfort your friend.

She shoulda given him a medal.

That's what you get :colbert:.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TFA's political situation makes a little more sense when you remember that the Senate was only dissolved at the beginning of ANH. All the politicians were still alive and kicking, probably bored as poo poo, when the Republic was formed post-Jedi and were more than happy to get back to work and sit around fighting over the size of the Alderaan survivors relief fund and how it'll get disbursed for the next 30 years (or the same-old same-old bickering and wheeling and dealing that gets no-where) while the remnants form into the First Order and build a doom planet. It just goes to show how much more productive authoritarianism is :v:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

RagnarokAngel posted:

A New Hope was kind of hazy about how the political structure worked, too. We knew about a rebellion and an empire but the emperor apparently had a Senate for some reason which he just dissolved because he felt like it?

It's not till the prequels that we got an intimate look at politics of the star wars universe and so I think that's enough to say being vague is better.

Hazy, but somewhat relatable to the Roman Empire at least. I couldn't quite cook up a similar comparison in TFA without guessing at what the new EU stuff will say.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Haha, I was exactly the same watching UTOPIA which is meant to take place in London but it was filmed almost entirely in Liverpool. Wasn't just the small things like, "Hey, I live next to that duck pond!" But shots done atop buildings with a view of the skyline and it's just Liverpool!

Maybe the city isn't as iconic to other people as it is to me and Yanks definitely wont notice. But still...

You guys should try living in southern California for a while.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Ratatouille :

I'm far more irritated at the entire premise of the movie being that your hair is attached directly to your brain stem, and yanking on it moves you like a marionette. Couldn't they have Remy just whisper instructions to the kid?

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Couldn't they have Remy just whisper instructions to the kid?

Uh, what? Rats can't talk. That would be silly.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah, geez, don't be an idiot.

My concern is that Linguine has what is clearly proof of sentience and higher-level intelligence in a rodent, and all he does is open a restaurant and not, you know, rock the entire scientific community.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Dec 24, 2015

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I can forgive the actions of pretty much every character in that film because, you know, all the food is loving psychotropic. Even if they don't make you hallucinate outright lifelong exposure is sure to gently caress you up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mad Men has many flaws but the worst, and I don't know if this means I am getting old, is all the goddamn making out and messy kisses and generally the PDA poo poo you see on school campuses where kids try to prove they loooove each other so much. I get it, Draper, you love your wife, you gently caress nonstop, I don't need to see you two tongue-stab over and over. How the gently caress does Game of Thrones, that has full nudity, have LESS sex than loving Mad Men?

Maybe it's his second wife's mouth. She looks like she's got snake jaws and there are a million closeups of her and Draper sucking face. It's almost like the sex scene in Watchmen; it is so over the top it actually becomes boring.

As for Pixar, has The Good Dinosaur done well at all? If it didn't have the Pixar name on it, based on animation alone, I'd think it was some poo poo Dreamworks knockoff. I get Pixar was going for cartoony, but poo poo, it looks BAD.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Thaddius the Large posted:

Hazy, but somewhat relatable to the Roman Empire at least.
Only in the broadest possible sense.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair, he adhered to strict codes of hygiene even before starting to cook. Remy was no dirtier than the average human, outside the short jaunt through a sewer. He also sanitized the other rats when they needed to help during the climax.

Rats have a constant dribble of urine passing out of their uretha so they can double back and track themselves. Their teeth also never stop growing which is why they are always gnawing. They are gross poo poo factories, but then again I have gotten sick from Chipotle so maybe I'll give rat food a try. If I get bubonic plague though I'm going to kick your rear end.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I watched Pan with the folks last night. My mum loved it, my dad fell asleep and I was amusing myself trying to find things I didn't hate.

I mean, where do I even start? From turning Hook into Indiana Jones and making Tiger Lilly then only white girl in her tribe to the horrible pacing and pffff... it's like they were literally trying to make the worst possible Peter Pan movie with a big budget. It was just so, so bad, and not in a goofy children's movie way.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I just watched a haunted house movie called We Are Still Here because it got a drat 95% on RT. Turns out it's just another Amityville movie. There's a haunted house with a new family in it and the entire town is trying to keep it quiet because they don't want to upset the ghosts (I wouldn't consider any of this a spoiler, it's the main plot.) Nothing about this movie is very original.

However, there is one point in the movie where two local women in town are closing the local bar, someone knocks on the door and one of the girls goes to get it. She opens the door, you hear a shotgun blast, and the head of the town walks in. The other women in the bar just goes "Hell, if I knew it was you I wouldn't have sent the new girl to open the door!"

What the gently caress?? Ghosts preying on the new family in town aside, you just blew someone away for literally no loving reason. The rest of the movie was not scary or interesting by any means, but this part just made the whole thing stupider.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
No spoilers for Hateful Eight, but this is the first Tarantino movie that has totally annoyed me with how chock-full of affectation it is. There are multiple parts where he switches to slow-motion not just for action that would work better at normal speed, but also for character *dialogue* so it sounds like they've had their lines run through a vocoder. Really loving annoying.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Does it have a foot scene?

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Does it have a foot scene?

Does the Pope poo poo in the woods?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Plot twist: it's Walter Goggins' feet.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My SWTFAIIMM was that the megalaserbeam from the planet was described as being at super hyperspeed but the people on the planet that it was blasting were able to see the laser even though the destructive part of the beam must have been travelling faster than the light it produced.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I just watched the last of the Harry Potter films and something struck me. It is entirely Euro-centric. Voldemort apparemntly is the most powerful wizard in the world, and wants to take over the world etc. but everything happens in England. And in the previous books/movies no-one really gives half a poo poo about any wizards outside of Europe. (The tri-wizard cup is between an English school, a French school and a *boo hiss* generic Eastern European school. The Quidditch WC final is Ireland vs Bulgaria). Even assuming that Voldemort would take England, then Europe and then the world, surely the rest of the world would send help to the goodie wizards to stop him. But they aren't even mentioned.

Evan a film as jingoistic as Independence Day paid lip servioce to the idea that there are other countries apart from America with the shots at the end of the destroyed spaceships at the Sydney Oprera House etc. But Harry Potter doesn't acknowledge a world outside of twee European white people.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Squalitude posted:

My SWTFAIIMM was that the megalaserbeam from the planet was described as being at super hyperspeed but the people on the planet that it was blasting were able to see the laser even though the destructive part of the beam must have been travelling faster than the light it produced.

It's not very clear but the beam jumps through hyperspace but still travels at Death Star speeds. Like they fire it through a worm hole or something I don't know it's loving space magic.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Squalitude posted:

It's been almost 40 years and there are people that still don't realize that Star Wars is fantasy not sci-fi. Just replace lasers with magic missles and aliens with demon monsters. It'll save you a lot of irrational headaches.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Star Wars!

how come Rey and Finn are able to just fight with the light Saber? Shouldn't there be some degree of training to be able to fight a sith Lord or whatever Snape Jr. was?

Finally, the loving Droid was annoying. We get it, you wanna sell the loving toy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Non Serviam posted:

Star Wars!

how come Rey and Finn are able to just fight with the light Saber? Shouldn't there be some degree of training to be able to fight a sith Lord or whatever Snape Jr. was?

Finally, the loving Droid was annoying. We get it, you wanna sell the loving toy.

In a new hope Luke was able to use it a bit and then in empire he was pretty good using it even before he met Yoda, and he had no actual training. Finn was also not that good as a stormtrooper almost beat him, and Kylo was injured during their entire fight.

Its Star Wars and selling toys have been a point since the beginning.

bobkatt013 has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Dec 28, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Non Serviam posted:

Star Wars!

Any old shmuck can pick up a stick and beat you with it. Finn had military training, Rey was a scrappy survivalist with The Force. Kylo wasn't all that good because he relied on being intimidating but amounted to being a Vader cosplay with a replica Hanzo sword.
Only a few Jedi/Sith opt for the Force-activated version of a saber.

BB8 was cool and funny.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Inzombiac posted:

Any old shmuck can pick up a stick and beat you with it. Finn had military training, Rey was a scrappy survivalist with The Force. Kylo wasn't all that good because he relied on being intimidating but amounted to being a Vader cosplay with a replica Hanzo sword.
Only a few Jedi/Sith opt for the Force-activated version of a saber.

BB8 was cool and funny.

Plus, we see earlier in the movie that Rey is good with a staff. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up with a double-bladed lightsaber before the new trilogy is over, but regardless she's able to take care of herself in a fight. Finn not only has military training, he has training to fight lightsaber users, as we see when he runs into the stormtrooper carrying that electric tonfa thing. It makes sense that he'd have a basic understanding of lightsaber use but it's also worth pointing out that Kylo Ren is the first guy Finn runs into with any skill at lightsaber combat and Ren leaves him in a coma.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Evan a film as jingoistic as Independence Day paid lip servioce to the idea that there are other countries apart from America with the shots at the end of the destroyed spaceships at the Sydney Oprera House etc. But Harry Potter doesn't acknowledge a world outside of twee European white people.

I don't think Independence Day is a good example. It just shows the rest of the world waiting around for the Americans to save the day, making the US seem even more heroic.. Complete with some token stereotypical english chaps going "about time the yanks fixed this" or some poo poo. its also trying to be epic, and worldwide shots help that.

Harry Potter is a British kids book, not that surprising that its mainly in the UK. Besides, you Yanks lap that poo poo up. Harry Potter land Orlando is hilarious as a Brit.

I don't even know why im leaping to defend Harry Potter here.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Esroc posted:

It's been almost 40 years and there are people that still don't realize that Star Wars is fantasy not sci-fi. Just replace lasers with magic missles and aliens with demon monsters. It'll save you a lot of irrational headaches.

I'm fine with Star Wars being entirely magic, the film itself tells us this. I was just giving my irrational moment over to the physics that should still work, although I suppose we could also assume that in the Star Wars universe, the speed of light is a lot faster than it is in ours. Would also help with how quickly people travel between planets. Time is funky in that universe.

I wonder what took longer in-universe at the end of the film, the hyperspace flight to whatever planet that was, or the walk up the steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If you look closely RE the fight that Rey uses her sabre a lot like a staff rather than a sword. Also like people said Kylo had been gut shot like 20 mins before