Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ryonguy posted:

Please tell me this isn't just some wishful thinking, and there is actually a City Watch series in production.
"In production" is kind of a loaded phrase. The last news on it was from late 2014; according to that shooting was supposed to start in 2015 but we're almost done with that and you'd think we'd have gotten casting choices. So at this point, who knows, but wheels were definitely in motion at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

My Lovely Horse posted:

"In production" is kind of a loaded phrase. The last news on it was from late 2014; according to that shooting was supposed to start in 2015 but we're almost done with that and you'd think we'd have gotten casting choices. So at this point, who knows, but wheels were definitely in motion at one point.

Unseen Academicals is also in that weird limbo. It's been "in production" for almost three years now and nothing seems to have progressed.

Still. One day it might happen. One day we might get that Good Omens adaptation we've been promised, too. :sigh:

The Going Postal TV adaptation is one of the best book-to-film adaptations I've seen, the casting in particular is excellent.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, time for me to go reread Guards, Guards!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Still better than nothing, but I suspected that was the stage it was at.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Topsy Turvy pooping? Sounds like a way to have to buy new pants on vacation.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Oh cool, they've got Uber for icebreakers now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something something storm surge pricing

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

St Evan Echoes posted:

all the Sky adaptations were good except Colour of Magic, which was hot garbage

I concur.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

eating only apples posted:

Still. One day it might happen. One day we might get that Good Omens adaptation we've been promised, too. :sigh:

The Going Postal TV adaptation is one of the best book-to-film adaptations I've seen, the casting in particular is excellent.
I feel like Good Omens won't be worth it if Gilliam isn't doing it. But I feel that way about a lot of things.

Going Postal was great because it was the first one that didn't stick slavishly to the book. Turns out Discworld books as-is are amazing reads but don't make such good movie scripts. There's more to turning a book into a film than acting out the dialogue verbatim.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Dec 24, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

See also Hitchhiker's Guide.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

See also Hitchhiker's Guide.

Was so excited for that movie :smith:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The best way to handle a Discworld movie would to just tell an new story in the setting. It's a big world, and there are a ton of threads you could pull in order to tease out an interesting plot. Although I'm not sure how well even the best comedy writer could reproduce Pratchett's sense of humor. In a perfect world, he'd have worked with someone to create an original screenplay, but that's no longer in the cards. Stupid mortality.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

The best way to handle a Discworld movie would to just tell an new story in the setting. It's a big world, and there are a ton of threads you could pull in order to tease out an interesting plot. Although I'm not sure how well even the best comedy writer could reproduce Pratchett's sense of humor. In a perfect world, he'd have worked with someone to create an original screenplay, but that's no longer in the cards. Stupid mortality.

A huge amount of Pratchett's humor was written wordplay which is very difficult to get across in a movie. Like the Curious Squid:

quote:

The Curious Squid were very small, harmless, difficult to find and reckoned by connoisseurs to have the foulest taste of any creature in the world. This made them very much in demand in a certain kind of restaurant where highly skilled chefs made, with great care, dishes containing no trace of the squid whatsoever.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That was also the issue with Hitchhiker. So much of the humor is in the little asides Adams wrote that wouldn't really translate well to a coherent plot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Goddam British humor is loving terrible

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

oldpainless posted:

So sorry that you're too dumb to find funny things funny. I suppose there's always Big Bang Theory for people like you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

flosofl posted:

So sorry that you're too dumb to find funny things funny. I suppose there's always Big Bang Theory for people like you.

Lol ok friend

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hitchhiker's Guide is also a bit of a special case in that it's one story told in many different ways. There's the radio programme, the books, the TV show, the adventure games, the movie, each telling the story in its own way, and the later they are in the chain, the more they pick up from previous manifestations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The thing that bugs me about HHGTG movie from '05 with bilbo watson as arthur dent was that they would give me 90% of what I wanted and then just drop it. They would faithfully reproduce, verbatim, the dialog of the whale falling from space, all there, and do I get the final line that made it all worth while? The last sentence that would have taken four seconds to complete the vignette? Nope! I get 20 seconds of a whale exploding from every angle and no punchline. Punchline is the wrong word but goddamn it just finish it!
It was so insanely frustrating to know these words by heart, and have the narrator give me thematic blue balls by stopping short literally every time.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I enjoyed both the books and the movie :shobon:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

ryonguy posted:

A huge amount of Pratchett's humor was written wordplay which is very difficult to get across in a movie. Like the Curious Squid:

One of us doesn't know what wordplay is and I'm pretty sure it's not me

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
no it's wordplay, "curious squid" is a pun on

uh

give me a moment

(word play is PLAYING with WORDS, not funny footnotes on things)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Shut the gently caress up with your goddamn words, and post funny pictures.
This isn't the "chat about books" thread. It's the Funny Pictures thread.

Bunch of loving dipshits in here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
:stare:
So loving saved if i will ever buy an avatar.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Has Science Gone Too Far?!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Johnny Aztec posted:

This dork dressed like boba fett before it was cool for dorks to dress like boba fett.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I see Tobias finally got into TV acting.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

oldpainless posted:

Yeah, a bunch of my friends recommended Discworld poo poo to me but i gave up after like 3 books because it was just boring mildly quirky tame humour and it got tiresome pretty quickly.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
When I was a lad, people at least tried to obfuscate their trolling.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

Boba Fett, Attorney at Law

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I like boba fett's confidence I mean those ladies are not into it but drat. Lotta respect for that dad.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

When I was a lad, people at least tried to obfuscate their trolling.

Nah, you were just a lot more credulous back then.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

Actually this thread is the "whiny babies crying forever about not enough visual stimulation for their baby brains" thread.

For the record, ALL of your posts in this thread before this last one have been exclusively words without contributing any images.

Jamesman has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Dec 24, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

He's not wrong

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

hhhat posted:

He's not wrong

No argument from me.

poo poo, it's even 65% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

flosofl posted:

imo it's you who should watch it

• Locked thread