Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Its stance on continuity has nothing to do with sales. The fact it's Star Wars is what drives it's sales. Which is why they wanted it back so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its stance on continuity has nothing to do with sales. The fact it's Star Wars is what drives it's sales. Which is why they wanted it back so badly.

I do think part of the spell is the fact it's Canon. Then you know how much a fan you are as well as the ability to spout useless info at friend and family.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Good, I'm not the only one who thinks Dark Empire sucks. The story is a mess and completely shits all over the ending of ROTJ and the artwork and designs are ugly as hell.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gammatron 64 posted:

Good, I'm not the only one who thinks Dark Empire sucks. The story is a mess and completely shits all over the ending of ROTJ and the artwork and designs are ugly as hell.

Is there a debate about Dark Empire sucking? It's not just fact?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Dark Empire is basically the best example of the EUs biggest problem.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dark Empire is basically the best example of the EUs biggest problem.

Superweapon proliferation? Or rehashing established enemies?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Superweapon proliferation? Or rehashing established enemies?

Yes.

They got better at it, but now we get to start the cycle anew. Yay.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 21, 2015

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I wonder if they're going to publish any comics set in the new era soon or if they're going to keep it in the OT until episode 8 is released. I'd love to read a Kylo Ren miniseries but you know if there are any twists in that backstory then they won't be wasted on the comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrFlibble posted:

I wonder if they're going to publish any comics set in the new era soon or if they're going to keep it in the OT until episode 8 is released. I'd love to read a Kylo Ren miniseries but you know if there are any twists in that backstory then they won't be wasted on the comics.

Last time Marvel did that they ended up publishing an annual in between IV and V which included a story from the Clone Wars relating an adventure shared by Obi-Wan and his two apprentices: Luke's unnamed father and Darth Vader. :v:

Any parts of Kylo Ren's backstory that aren't covered in the movies will probably be in novels rather than comics. I would like to think they will at least be better than Legacy of the Force. Granted, those books were pretty terrible, so it wouldn't be that much of an achievement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This difference now is that LucasFilm has a person to review every proposed story idea. He probably doesn't know exactly what's coming up, but I bet he has ideas of the broad strokes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Last time Marvel did that they ended up publishing an annual in between IV and V which included a story from the Clone Wars relating an adventure shared by Obi-Wan and his two apprentices: Luke's unnamed father and Darth Vader. :v:
It's funny the things that we take for granted in Star Wars like Vader having to be a Skywalker. A lot of Luke's hiding actually makes more sense if Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader are two separate people. Skywalker is killed. The women they both vied for has Vader's baby. Obi Wan gives the baby to Anakin's brother who raises him as a Skywalker.

Obi Wan is less lovely because he actually thought that Luke was Anakin's son and not Vader's.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

This difference now is that LucasFilm has a person to review every proposed story idea. He probably doesn't know exactly what's coming up, but I bet he has ideas of the broad strokes.

They had that before - it's actually the same person (Leland Chee) and their team.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well hopefully they do a better job this time and avoid stupid stuff like authors bickering about pet characters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

They had that before - it's actually the same person (Leland Chee) and their team.

Not when Marvel was publishing comics between episodes IV and V.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BizarroAzrael posted:

Dude when we did the Let's Read the Star Wars EU thread 5 years ago, I chose to lay into Dark Empire and its sequels. And holy gently caress did people get upset for a bit until I got to DE2, which is pretty universally reviled. Here's two choice comments about it.

quote:

Besides the art, which is highly stylized, I don't really see where your critique of Dark Empire is based. If you play the cynic card, every popular fiction work will look kind of stupid. It tells a good story, introduces new locations and characters, and (in my opinion) has a really nice art style, something far more ambitious than you would see in a SW comic today. Oh well, to each his own.

quote:

gently caress all of you loving bitches if you don't like Dark Empire!!!!!!! Granted many EU things are terrible but this really doesn't belong in the company of these other turds and the critique of it is very thin I'd say. The art is an acquired taste, but it certaily isn't terrible.

Yeah, I railed on the art quite a bit. Why? Because everyone ended up with a Bruce Campbell-esque chin, and, well, let's examine this picture of Leia:

Or how about this one of Chewie?

I believe I described it as "It's like Chewie got annoyed at Han, peeled off his face, and started wearing it like a mask!"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

soooo.

where's a good place to get started with the new comics, as a new reader?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

TFRazorsaw posted:

soooo.

Star Wars #1, and also Darth Vader #1

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

soooo.

The Trade Paperbacks have Issues 1-6 collected. It's as good a start as any, really. Star Wars and Vader are good. Shattered Empire is a short 4 episode run that has some TFA tidbits in it if you look hard enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

Not when Marvel was publishing comics between episodes IV and V.

Right, fair enough. I thought you meant "the old EU in general".

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Whee I have finally seen the movie so I can come out of my deep dark hole and catch up, I'm only what, two months behind?

Ugh... the comics aren't going to be so bad, but tracking down all the book releases I missed while carefully avoiding Star Wars-related sites is going to be fun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's not that many, and none are particularly good, I understand. (Because they are Star Wars books.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best Star Wars supplementary material has always been the comics.*

Like, all the way back in 1978, the Marvel comics were better than Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

*Some of the games are also very good.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
You're forgetting the visual dictionary type books, those probably rank above the comics still

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Keiya posted:

You're forgetting the visual dictionary type books, those probably rank above the comics still

TFA one explains why Kylo Ren's Lightsaber has those vents on it,its actually a very ancient lightsaber from before they were perfected.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Keiya posted:

I mean in terms of media that tell original stories outside the movies, the comics are consistently the best compared with the novels or whatever else.

"Supplementary" was the wrong word to choose. The old Essential Guide books were my favourites there, especially the New/Essential Chronologies, where the authors were basically given free reign over how to portray the ancient galaxy. They explored the whole concept introduced in KOTOR that the Hutts were the dominant power in the galaxy before the Republic was established, and invented all these cool ideas like the Pius Dea Crusades, which were a period 12,000 years before ANH where a human supremacist religious cult seized control of the Republic and spent the next millennium mounting anti-alien campaigns against the non-human alien species in the Outer Rim.

The original Essential Guide line (Characters, Vehicles & Vessels, Weapons & Technology, Alien Species, Droids, Planets & Moons, and the Chronology) were great because they had this earnestness about them and treated the setting as though they were writing an honest-to-goodness academic history book. Granted, that's probably part of the reason why Star Wars fans (i.e. Wookieepedia) have this reputation for being joyless grognards, but it's loads of fun when you're 12.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 24, 2015

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Endless Mike posted:

There's not that many, and none are particularly good, I understand. (Because they are Star Wars books.)

I've heard that the new novel Lost Stars is pretty good. I've seen some reviews call it one of the the best Star Wars novels ever written. (not that that's a very high bar to clear, but still.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if that evil cyborg Mon Calamari's lightsaber is purple for a reason.

Also, Leia is getting a ton to do in Vader Down, you get a good idea of why she was so respected in the OT.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

I wonder if that evil cyborg Mon Calamari's lightsaber is purple for a reason.
Yeah I was wondering this, too. It's not Mace Windu's though, unless Larocca didn't look it up at all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

TFA one explains why Kylo Ren's Lightsaber has those vents on it,its actually a very ancient lightsaber from before they were perfected.

Is Snoke a holocron? Probably not, but stupider things have happened.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has Marvel announced anything in and around TFA yet? Where's my Poe Dameron ongoing?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I could go for a Rogue Squadron successor series about Poe and Wedge bro-ing it up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People who diss the Rogue Squadron series because it's not X-wing are monsters who have taken human form to deceive us.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

People who diss the Rogue Squadron series because it's not X-wing are monsters who have taken human form to deceive us.
Do you mean the books? The Rogue Squadron comics are better than the Stackpole books (but not the Allston books, which are the best fiction in the EU).
The Rogue Squadron series ends on a bit of a whimper but that's more due to Stackpole writing himself into a corner, both within the series itself and the larger "canon" of the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh I thought we were talking about the video games.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

Oh I thought we were talking about the video games.
Oh the video games own too (although the X-wing/TIE Fighter games are better than the Rogue Squadron games).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They're different things though. X-wing/TIE fighter is a arcade flight sim, while the Rogue Squadron games are just arcade shooters.

I have a feeling that Marvel is going to hold back doing any major comics set in the TFA era, because there's way too much important info that's unknown and there is no way they're going to say that Snoke was Tarkin's butler or some other revelation in the comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's no reason they can't have GREATEST PILOT EVER Poe Dameron flying missions and blowing things up though.

(Am I the only one who got a bit annoyed by how often the movie had to tell us Poe is the greatest pilot in the Resistance?)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yes. Just made me feel good for Poe.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I have nothing but good feelings about Poe.

Did you know he's the Resistance's greatest pilot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yeah I have nothing but good feelings about Poe.

Did you know he's the Resistance's greatest pilot?

And he's the Captain of my heart.