Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was cleaning out a closet earlier and found an old Nokia 7110 and that thick motherfucker is a million times more comfortable to hold than any iPhone ever. Who wants their phone to be super thin anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think anyone really cares all that much. But the people making smart phones really have nothing else to design for so they keep pushing miniaturization so they have something to brag about in their product launches.

About the only reason I would start to care about device thickness is if we could start folding them like a piece of paper. Having a 20 inch screen in my pocket would be kind of cool, just unfold it to full size whenever I want.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think that technology already exists and will probably be a thing in a few years time. I was just surprised how comfy a thick phone from 1999 felt compared to an iPhone.

On another note, I did a full backup and restore after 9.2 came out and since then the battery percentage has been off constantly. After a full 100% recharge it suddenly drops to 80 or 90 percent once I unplug it from the charger. A restart fixes it until the next recharge but I'd rather not do that every time. I just let the battery drain completely and recharged but that didn't work.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

xzzy posted:

Apple's gonna redesign lightning to a magsafe style connector, a small line of copper nubs along the bottom of the phone and the wire just grabs onto it when it gets close.

The phone will be as thick as two sheets of paper and run off ambient light.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a MagSafe style lighting connector.

e:
loving lol @ iOS autocorrecting the capitalization of MagSafe™

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a shame that iPhones are too light to take advantage of the primary benefit of MagSafe.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

lol using magsafe for audio would loving suck when a not significant amount of tensile and shear resistance is required i.e. when its in your pocket. can you imagine having to reconnect the cable every time your pants creases wrongly and knocks the magsafe off

e: though i suppose if it gets any thinner you wouldn't be able to put it in your pants without the phone resembling a wad of kleenex after awhile anyway

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
What is wrong with Bluetooth audio? No wires and compatible with everything?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TraderStav posted:

What is wrong with Bluetooth audio? No wires and compatible with everything?

Not a high enough bitrate is the usual concern. Though there's a new high bandwidth spec that I think all modern phones support.

Plus people hate batteries even though we're already constantly charging our phones.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

xzzy posted:

Not a high enough bitrate is the usual concern. Though there's a new high bandwidth spec that I think all modern phones support.

Plus people hate batteries even though we're already constantly charging our phones.

afaik bluetooth requires a dac at the receiver since its a digital signal, meaning using bluetooth skips the iphone's pretty competent built-in dac for the ear/headphone's probably shittier dac. between this and the limitations on how big a battery you can put in bt earphones/headphones i've yet to hear of a set that both sounded good and cost less than half a grand. both of these problems are particularly salient in earphones because of the far greater size restrictions compared to headphones, obviously

also it's not 'even though', its exactly because we already have to charge our phones every day that we hate having even more low capacity battery operated devices

oh and if you ever used bluetooth devices like mice and headsets regularly you know how badly the spec sucks balls

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I don't want to charge my headphones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Would be pleasantly surprised if they went the MagSafe route, although I would much rather have induction charging.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Man, I remember that Kickstarter MagSafe case for iPhone from what feels like years ago. Let's see how well they're doing...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1193255258/cabin-the-easiest-way-to-recharge-your-iphone/description

As awfully as expected.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

I plug mine in once week for 90 minutes. Wired headphones are for plebes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I plug my BT headphones in once a day after a few hours of usage at work. That always works fine for me. They've never died on me once. And being able to walk around my office with my headphones on and no cord getting in the way is pretty sweet.

I was mad about those rumors before I got my first pair of BT headphones. Now I'm completely indifferent about them.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
I have a new iPhone and I want to transfer all the stuff from my old one to it. However, iTunes doesn't do a full backup of the 13 GB of data. My hard drive died which means my music and that isn't in iTunes, who'll delete it all on sync. Is there a free Windows program that anyone's used that does the job properly?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Depths posted:

I've been wireless on my phone for over a year, been using the bluebuds x and now i got the v-moda crossfade wireless... free urself.....

Is it not a bit pointless having nice super-aural headphones, if they're bluetooth only? Unless apple release some new high quality bluetooth audio standard or start supporting apt-x, the quality out will not be worth it for music.

Re those v-modas:
Do they support the apt-x protocol?
Can you optionally plug a normal headphone cable in instead?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've never once had my BT headphones on and thought the quality was anything other than fine, and they have a wire if I need it anyway. I've never run out of battery on them despite thinking 'wait, it's been ages since I charged these'. I'm guessing there were a lot of poo poo headsets out years ago which tainted people's experiences, and I'm drat glad I ignored them all.

No more headphone cables being caught on bloody door handles!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I have 2 Apple IDs because of iCloud fuckery. All of my iTunes purchases are on my pre-iCloud one, so none of it is available for family sharing. Can I just add my second ID to the family to make that work?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I plug mine in once week for 90 minutes. Wired headphones are for plebes.

I plug mine into my phone and they just work. Always.

All of this is bullshit anyway. They're not getting rid of the headphone jack. They even kept it on the 12" MacBook and that device is all about being thin as well. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison but I think they keep it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Lmao if you still plug things in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Lmao if you still plug things in.
I, too, buy a new iPhone every day rather than plug it in to charge

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I have 2 Apple IDs because of iCloud fuckery. All of my iTunes purchases are on my pre-iCloud one, so none of it is available for family sharing. Can I just add my second ID to the family to make that work?

Yup that'll work. Just add the old one under the family sharing.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

I plug mine into my phone and they just work. Always.

All of this is bullshit anyway. They're not getting rid of the headphone jack. They even kept it on the 12" MacBook and that device is all about being thin as well. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison but I think they keep it.

And worst case if they do somehow go against all sense and get rid of the headphone jack, I'm sure there will be lightning to 3.5mm adapters available quickly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't want a phone so thin it couldn't have a headphone port. Saying that, I think those particular rumours are total bullshit.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
It's not a matter of if they will do it but when. That headphone jack is gone but 2016 might be too soon. 2018 is a near certainty at the latest. They may be gauging public reaction right now.

I can see Apple pushing lightning headphones and Bluetooth headphones for the next year to get everyone used to the idea. Maybe even package some EarPods that sound better to make way for the grand transition.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Didn't the very first iPhone require some bullshit adapter to reach the headphone jack or something lol

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Didn't the very first iPhone require some bullshit adapter to reach the headphone jack or something lol

Only if you were holding the headphones wrong iirc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've got a pair of BT headphones and I love them but when I'm in bed I wanna be able to lie comfortably so I use the earbuds. The current audio quality of BT headphones isn't amazing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I, too, buy a new iPhone every day rather than plug it in to charge

Wireless charging would make the iPhone perfect

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Unless it fills an area around the charger with inductive fields, it'll be dumb and terrible because you won't be able to use the phone with power on. This is a big enough problem that it's a nonstarter. Consider long FaceTime calls for instance (I would easily kill my phone battery facetiming my wife when I was working up north).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

e.pilot posted:

Only if you were holding the headphones wrong iirc.

No, the original iPhone had a recessed headphone jack. If your headphone's plug was wider than the (very skinny) standard iPhone plug, it wouldn't fit because the phone's chassis would block it from plugging in. I had an original iPhone for years, I had a little dongle that was just a 1/8 to 1/8 passthrough to plug normal-sized headsets or aux cables into it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Regardless, no current iPhone has wireless charging, so charging requires plugging things into your phone.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

e.pilot posted:

Yup that'll work. Just add the old one under the family sharing.

Actually it didn't work, when I tried to sign in to accept it, it says that name is already in use within the family.

That email is an alias under my iCloud account but the purchases under it don't show up... makes me want to bang my head

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The current audio quality of BT headphones isn't amazing.

Then get better ones. Unless you're comparing them to some $800 over the ear headphones. Just get something that's not the $20 bulky contraption thing that goes around the back of your neck that everyone has.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Personally I wouldn't mind if they make a phone with no headphone jack as long as there's a tiny adapter they ship with it, and they require a 3.5mm out on any approved Lightning dock. That being said I wish they'd stop making the loving things thinner. Like yeah my phone lasts all day and then some most of the time, but not with heavy usage.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Even "perfect" BT headphones are, by their nature, only potentially as good as wired in audio quality.
They're a solution begging for a problem, and largely only introduce more.

I hope they become more ubiquitous, so the people who think they're a good idea can start bemoaning public spaces where 2.4ghz congestion gets even more problematic. BT is already spotty as gently caress in common places where I'd want to be using headphones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Regardless, no current iPhone has wireless charging, so charging requires plugging things into your phone.

Please let me dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kefkafloyd posted:

No, the original iPhone had a recessed headphone jack. If your headphone's plug was wider than the (very skinny) standard iPhone plug, it wouldn't fit because the phone's chassis would block it from plugging in. I had an original iPhone for years, I had a little dongle that was just a 1/8 to 1/8 passthrough to plug normal-sized headsets or aux cables into it.

That was a poor attempt at a joke apparently, I am well aware of the headphone jack issue on the original phone.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Actually it didn't work, when I tried to sign in to accept it, it says that name is already in use within the family.

That email is an alias under my iCloud account but the purchases under it don't show up... makes me want to bang my head

Remove it as an alias, I'm surprised it let you add it as an alias if it's already associated with an Apple ID.

You still need to be able to access your old account login and password to add it to family sharing.