Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So if you headshot a Ma-Non and blow their brains out it doesn't matter because they can build an artificial replacement head and the robot face has a smile built into it by design.

These sidequests are where the real action is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I've found all the level 50's besides the one for the Antimatter Cannon. I can't match which chest is which from memory, or even remember all of them, unfortunately.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How the hell do I get Level-50 Skell Frames? They don't seem to be in the store.

I think humanity may be a bad influence on the Orpheans :ohdear:.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How the hell do I get Level-50 Skell Frames? They don't seem to be in the store.

The store had them for sale for me right from the start. They have very similar names to the level 30 ones, but cost a few million instead of a few hundred thousand.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm pretty sure they get unlocked when you get Sakuraba's dev level to 5.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

Alard posted:

I'm pretty sure they get unlocked when you get Sakuraba's dev level to 5.

This is correct.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So uhhh... Reflect builds are kinda OP.

As it stands I am capable of being fully immune to 4/6 elements. Completely immune. As long as I can maintain my aura I can just sit there. Maintaining said aura is trivial in overdrive.

This is stupid.

Edit: A slight bit of effort later and make that 5/6, with the only element I'm not immune to being lightning. This is loving DUMB.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 24, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
There are enemies that have pierce reflect :ssh:

Also, yes, to get 50 Skell frames get Sakuraba maxed. This isn't too hard, their requirements are the lowest. You'll also want to do this anyway, because Sakuraba equipment for both people and Skells gets really sick-nasty good once you fully max Sakuraba and their equipment goes yellow quality. It'll be better than many drops you get until high levels.

Though I do wonder: how do you unlock level 60 frames and various skell weapons? Is that all in the postgame, or does it unlock through sidequests that could still be done before Chapter 12?

I seriously doubt I'll need that much power for chapter 12, but at the rate I'm going, I may well hit 60 on my Rook before doing Chapter 12, so it doesn't hurt to ask :v:

Louisgod posted:

Chapter 5 story questions: soooo everybody's a robot and their bodies are stored in the lifehold core and they stored them because they weren't sure how long they'd be in space but nobody in the city remembers that they're actually robots or are they not aware of the huge fuckoff counter scaling over the city and like not bothered to ask what it's for? Weird rear end story.

People bother to ask, but like Elma says, section leaders are keeping it under wraps for now because they don't want to induce a panic. If you ask around town, though, in a mission or two people start finding out on their own and the secret gets out.

Also no, everyone knows they are a mim except for you. You have some exceptional JRPG amnesia.

Louisgod posted:

It's bugging the poo poo out of me but what's the point of pizza, food, espressos and poo poo, eating in general if they're all robots.. WHAT IS THE POINTTT

Aside from the "live as humanly as possible to keep up morale" bit, remember: the mims are meant to be a temporary measure. The entire point of building New LA now, with mims, is so that it can transition from mim occupancy to real human occupancy seamlessly - the idea is that the Core will be found, everyone gets woken up, and all the civilians go back to living as normal humans. The military folks might keep using mims because hey, combat immortality once the Core is restored and it's possible to link to a fresh mim, sweet deal, but they might also not because as that one NPC points out, in some ways mims are a bigger pain in the rear end to maintain than normal human bodies.

It's an out-there plot twist at first, but especially if you pay attention to the NPCs, it all makes sense, and a lot of the sidequests explore the idea of everyone being mims.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 24, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Regarding Chapter 5 My take on the silent protagonist is it's just censored due to them sitting there screaming "WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS? THE gently caress IS THAT? MY loving ARM!" constantly

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, what exactly can Pierce reflect? I did a trial run on Telethia just now and never got damaged (of course I couldn't really damage it either due to lack of accuracy but details). Unless it becomes capable of it once its HP is low enough.

Edit: I hadn't tried the fight in my Skell for a while and went to try and found out THE EXACT SAME ISSUE. I apparently am at the evasion breakpoint where Telethia can't REALLY hit me already, but I still can't properly damage it. Really gotta stack those damage augs to stand a chance, huh?

Maybe I'll try Pharsis.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 24, 2015

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It's explained in-game. They still can eat and enjoy eating and it is necessary to keep their morale up.

Also they can gently caress.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What just happened at the end of yelv's quest? :psyduck:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

kirbysuperstar posted:

I did the Ice-cream cake quest. And then noticed the names of the Psycho Launchers the ganglion in the cave dropped. :dogbutton:

Also this dude owns.

I don't think I saw the names, what were they?

Also I want to see the end of Yelv's quest line as people keep bringing it up but I burned myself out super hard and having trouble getting up the drive to do so- especially after his super rude introduction.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What just happened at the end of yelv's quest? :psyduck:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't think I saw the names, what were they?

Grette and Adelbert, the two who died. The other girl mentions that the Ganglion took her remains away under orders and, well. Now she's a gun, I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, so just did Chapter 11.

Why are you all defending Lao, especially you; Protagonist? He's running for the Mayor of Crazy Town and Elma's right there with a very coherent bulletpoint counterargument :commissar:. The only reason I'd want to stop Elma shooting Lao is so I can do it myself, and that reaaally needed an option to side with Elma. Even if it was just standing off to the side and not interfering.

Also; HAVE YOU FIGURED OUT ELMA ISN'T HUMAN YET? BECAUSE I'M STARTING TO GET A SLIGHT HINT THAT SHE MIGHT NOT ACTUALLY BE HUMAN.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So how are people here feeling this game?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kurtofan posted:

A loving excellent open-world game, possibly the best one yet made. Don't go into it expecting an overcomplicated plot similar to Xenogears or Xenosaga, or even a plot that tries to have CONSTANT AWESOME MOMENTS like OG Xenoblade does. It's a story about people trying to live their lives in hard circumstances, and what pushes people to break. And it is, in a way, more a framing device for you exploring the world than anything else. (Though I still say the game has a lot of really cool/touching/etc moments, and it's part of what keeps me charging hard well past the 100-hour mark.)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Kurtofan posted:

I like it. More than anything else, I got a feeling of adventure from this game. The world is big with a lot of content and a decent attempt at ecosystems. You're encouraged to explore in ways that would feel exploitative in other games. The core plot is nothing you haven't seen before, but a number of the sidequests are interesting. And the combat's fun.

Above all else - don't save past a certain point in Chapter 12. The game warns you it's the point of no return, and you can get screwed pretty good since you have only 1 save file.

Otherwise, I want to see what's next from this team, if they can have a bolder, more cohesive narrative on a better system. There's some technical wizardry given the Wii U's limitations.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

isk posted:

Above all else - don't save past a certain point in Chapter 12. The game warns you it's the point of no return, and you can get screwed pretty good since you have only 1 save file.

The game won't actually let you save past the point of no return. The option is locked out from that point on until you've beaten the final boss.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a list where to get all the blueprints?

I sometimes get those grey three slot blueprints from high level mobs, but it's pretty random...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SpaceDrake posted:

A loving excellent open-world game, possibly the best one yet made. Don't go into it expecting an overcomplicated plot similar to Xenogears or Xenosaga, or even a plot that tries to have CONSTANT AWESOME MOMENTS like OG Xenoblade does. It's a story about people trying to live their lives in hard circumstances, and what pushes people to break. And it is, in a way, more a framing device for you exploring the world than anything else. (Though I still say the game has a lot of really cool/touching/etc moments, and it's part of what keeps me charging hard well past the 100-hour mark.)

isk posted:

I like it. More than anything else, I got a feeling of adventure from this game. The world is big with a lot of content and a decent attempt at ecosystems. You're encouraged to explore in ways that would feel exploitative in other games. The core plot is nothing you haven't seen before, but a number of the sidequests are interesting. And the combat's fun.

Otherwise, I want to see what's next from this team, if they can have a bolder, more cohesive narrative on a better system. There's some technical wizardry given the Wii U's limitations.

Thanks. One of my worries is that the game can get repetitive, does it?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Kurtofan posted:

The game is very diverse for the longest time, until you get to the very endgame, where you slam into a wall and the only thing you can do is grind for materials so you can one-shot enemies that would normally one-shot you without getting a dent in your current gear because it's a JRPG and the numbers shoot up more than exponentially. Still, even if you don't bother with preparing to beat Telethia, there's still an awful lot to do. I spent 160 hours until I beat the main story, not because it's long, but because there's so much content outside of it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a list where to get all the blueprints?

I sometimes get those grey three slot blueprints from high level mobs, but it's pretty random...

For weapons: Randomly from high level humanoids. I think only Milsaadi drop melee weapon blueprints, but honestly, those weapons kinda suck compared to a proper Ultra Nebulan 60, so I don't much see the point.
For armor: You get all of it by completing the story.
For skell frames: Everything but the last three come from beating the game. Last three are for completing HB, Boze and Alexa's affinity quests.
For skell weapons: Level 30 variants come from beating the story. Level 50 variants come from level 5 mechanical chests all over the world. Level 60 variants come from various late-game quests of all sorts. Exception is the Hexad Partician, which you get all three levels of by completing Lin's final affinity quest.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
the only bad thing I can say about this game is that collecting materials for augments is a bitch because you either need 32 of some(which is more than the amount of specific enemies in the game so you need to reset the zones repeatedly) or 48 which is around half of the maximum load since you can only carry 99. So if you need two or more of the same augment you need to max out the amount you can carry before you can craft it, it's insane.

Tickets lessen the load just slightly because while you can carry 9999 tickets, most of the good augments need materials that are 148 tickets or more so you can't even get 99 of that specific material even if you have max tickets.

Quests/Catches don't even reward the XX grade of augments either.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Infinity Gaia posted:

For weapons: Randomly from high level humanoids. I think only Milsaadi drop melee weapon blueprints, but honestly, those weapons kinda suck compared to a proper Ultra Nebulan 60, so I don't much see the point.
For armor: You get all of it by completing the story.
For skell frames: Everything but the last three come from beating the game. Last three are for completing HB, Boze and Alexa's affinity quests.
For skell weapons: Level 30 variants come from beating the story. Level 50 variants come from level 5 mechanical chests all over the world. Level 60 variants come from various late-game quests of all sorts. Exception is the Hexad Partician, which you get all three levels of by completing Lin's final affinity quest.

I'm not sure about the weapons, I'm positive I got a blueprint from a Shrad in Cauldros.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Here's a gamers top tip for getting materials (though it's not that efficient unless you need a bit of everything): Do your drat squad quests, then do your drat squad missions. All of them. They are your reward, they are super loving easy and reward you with like a ton of crafting materials for microscopic time investment. If you can get one with like a seidr or something it's awesome you get like 8 damask metals at once.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Infinity Gaia posted:

Here's a gamers top tip for getting materials (though it's not that efficient unless you need a bit of everything): Do your drat squad quests, then do your drat squad missions. All of them. They are your reward, they are super loving easy and reward you with like a ton of crafting materials for microscopic time investment. If you can get one with like a seidr or something it's awesome you get like 8 damask metals at once.

yeah I've been soloing these. the unfortunate thing is though they're random.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Taint Reaper posted:

yeah I've been soloing these. the unfortunate thing is though they're random.

I don't think they're ACTUALLY random, it seems like it goes on a fixed rotation of some sort, and the missions you get are based on the tasks you complete. If you're in a rush, it's always best to beeline the last task on the list, gives the higher level quests which probably have a better chance of having whatever the hell it is one wants.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm at around 98% Mira completion at 260 hours. Think I have like..four quest nodes that I'm unsure about in Sylvalum, one in the middle of Oblivia, a blank space in Admin (back of the hanger/behind the vendor stalls), blank space in residential (where Wendy is, might be related the the Orphe Endbringer quest) and a blank space in the SE of C.D., then just Endbringer and Gradivus.

Soon. Soon..

:shepicide:

e: oh and Luxaar's Xern. Fun.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 24, 2015

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Picked this up and a had a great time running around a few hours doing random stuff.

Is there anything I can royally screw up just playing this game however I want?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malt posted:

Picked this up and a had a great time running around a few hours doing random stuff.

Is there anything I can royally screw up just playing this game however I want?

There are (relatively) minor negative outcomes to some quests and it's possible to get some NLA townsfolk killed by making poor choices. Nothing that will affect completion rates or stuff unlocked though.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Kurtofan posted:

Yesterday was the first time in the 3 weeks I've owned the game where I didn't basically play as much as I could.

This could have partially been solved by letting you buy high-end augments with the money bins of cash you start amassing after finishing the game. I'm probably at 90+ million now and I will never have anything to spend it on unless I go full retard and decide to break all my Skells until their insurances run out.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 24, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Protip for the post-game ground armor: Don't make the head.

I was gonna use it as fashion gear, but ugh. The stats on all of them suck, as I want Arts: TP, Potential Up, and other good stats.

I wish there was a re-enchanter in game where you could keep the armor but re-roll on the traits for cash.

Also: the unbreakable sword is pretty cool, but the stats suck. Guy says he wants to make one as a skell weapon, so looking forward to that (if it even happens).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
There's a quest named "A Proper Chopper" that if I google all I can find is people trying to find the locations of the collectables you need for it. I've already got them but I cannot hand it in.

All she does is tell me where to go again. She does have the ! above her head of a completed quest and I feel like I'm missing something - the prompt doesn't turn up for me to hand the stuff to her. Could it be that I used one in a collection without realising and now don't have enough or would that have updated the quest and made me get it again or what?
Sometimes this game is so loving poo poo at telling you stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

Could it be that I used one in a collection without realising and now don't have enough or would that have updated the quest and made me get it again or what?
Sometimes this game is so loving poo poo at telling you stuff.

There's your answer.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
God drat a couple of affinity quests I finished got reversed. I swear I saved. I always save twice to be sure.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Kurtofan posted:

It does, and you'll probably start finding it repetitive well before you finish it. But you can still probably get a lot of fun out of it before that happens, because there's this really great sense of exploration that'll push you to keep trying to get to new places.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Huh, the song on the squad select screen is from Sawano's 2009 album "Musica", I guess this is just pretty representative of his style then.

So anyh'way if you're looking for some select level 60 superweapons I can tell you a few that I know of

Zenith-Cannon (this thing ignores resistances!) : L's final affinity quest. (Easier than it appears at first!)
Deus-Crusher : Lionhearted - Starts in caldros north one hex of 508. (may require "The Duel" questline to be completed? Dunno, but that was a rumor I saw, I ended up doing it after "The Duel" anyway.)
Electric-Flood : Celica's final affinity quest. ("bitey critters" hah, fuckin' love that nopon)
Hexad Partican (Entire series lvl 30,50,60) : Lin's final affinity in the blade barracks. (You get a free level 30 version at the end of this quest)

Ones I'm not 100% sure about but prrrrrrobably correct.

Megaflame-B : Definian Downfall questline (I think this one started next to the door at Blade HQ.)
G-Piledriver : Mia's final quest to recruit her (locked in a trailer in caldros.)
Voltaic-Tusk : Slovety's Revenge questline (I don't remember where this started, but you race across each continent to kill a specific enemy in each place.)
Trident-Anchor : The Duel questline (I THINK, but I'm unsure about this one.)
Zweihand-Q : Lin's collect the recipes for Tatsu quest (Can't remember the name of this one.)

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 24, 2015

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
It can get repetitive if you make it so. Maybe it's my ADD but I just can't do the same thing for too long. I desperately need end game augments, I'm still working on my first gain TP XX augment, I'll farm like 20 scalps and get bored and decide to do an Affinity quest. I'll do one then find out I need more affinity with this guy, so I go do the end game support dlc missions. I do like 3 and get bored and decide to kill some tyrants to fill out my Hexagons and get closer to 100% Surveying Mira. Then I'll go do a regular mission to collect 10 bear asses. Somewhere along the way I'll see an invitation to telethia/final menace, and I'll go do that. I'll never finish that augment.

Slowly but surely I will 100% this game and I'm "only" 170 hours in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
do melee and ranged attack do the same thing on the ground as they do on a skell, i.e. jack poo poo?

• Locked thread