Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jackson Taus posted:

Wait, how do they even pretend that this works? Like the lead issues were because of a water source change, right? So what, the plumbing is supposed to include extra filtering to remove the lead? Do normal plumbing installs include filtering to deal with getting your water from a toxic source like the Flint River?

From what I gather, they believe (or were told) old homes in Flint have lead solder in their plumbing that reacted with the new "cleaner" water from the river. Homes with PVC piping were unaffected.

You and I know that's a crock of poo poo, anyone with any time to think critically about it will realize it's a crock of poo poo. I'm just sharing what white conservatives in Michigan are telling each other to make the situation "okay".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Jackson Taus posted:

Wait, how do they even pretend that this works? Like the lead issues were because of a water source change, right? So what, the plumbing is supposed to include extra filtering to remove the lead? Do normal plumbing installs include filtering to deal with getting your water from a toxic source like the Flint River?

The lead didn't come from the river. What happened was that the river water was so corrosive (Which is horrifying in and of itself) that it broke down the city's ancient-rear end pipe system and caused them to start leeching lead into the water supply. How the state tried to get around this was by only testing homes in areas where the pipes had been refurbished, and discounting any other results.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jackson Taus posted:

The water didn't specifically have lead in it at the source. It had all kinds of other poo poo in it that the government jumped through their own assholes to avoid measuring, including acidic compounds that leeched lead out of the ancient-rear end pipes in some areas since infrastructure in this country is a loving disaster waiting (who am I kidding?) to happen. So of course it's their fault they used the water that the entire water supply switched to because gently caress the poor/not-whites.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

From what I gather, they believe (or were told) old homes in Flint have lead solder in their plumbing that reacted with the new "cleaner" water from the river. Homes with PVC piping were unaffected.

You and I know that's a crock of poo poo, anyone with any time to think critically about it will realize it's a crock of poo poo. I'm just sharing what white conservatives in Michigan are telling each other to make the situation "okay".

Tell them to read the article I posted-one of the rejected tests came from a house that already had PVC piping. The entire problem stems from the combination of the old city pipes and the corrosive river water, and there is literally nothing anyone living in the city could have done.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Tell them to read the article I posted-one of the rejected tests came from a house that already had PVC piping. The entire problem stems from the combination of the old city pipes and the corrosive river water, and there is literally nothing anyone living in the city could have done.

Nothing I say or do is going to change their minds so why waste the effort? It didn't happen to them and happened to poor people in primarily black neighborhoods. They're probably happy something bad happened to "those people" they're just hiding it from me because I got upset that they kept using the n word at the dinner table last Christmas.

I loving hate my in-laws.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Flint water thing has solidified my opinion that if you are evil you might as well go all the way with it. People on "your side" will think up ridiculous reasons why it's not your fault and moderates want to believe that there's no way one side could be so cartoonishly evil as to use corrosive water for poor people in order to save money so they will pretend it's not happening. The remaining people that care can be safely ignored.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Accomplishments:

• Creating the 1% meme
  • Bringing police brutality to the national spotlight and helping shift the narrative about them
  • Helping spread counteraction information about standard police anti-protest tactics
  • Giving a (literal) voice and rallying point for millennial frustrated with inequality
  • Getting the Dean of the college where an officer maced a line of protesters for no goddamn reason canned, leading to the awesome "silent walk of shame" moment

I mean it slanted way too much towards white college students and whites in general, but there were still protests like Oakland, which is probably the most occupy-y of all, down to actually occupying a foreclosed building as their headquarters.

But you're right, it wasn't able to get something passed given the house and the tea party morons in it, complete failure, everyone point and laugh

This, plus they pretty much single-handedly got Democrats talking about inequality and minimum wage again, after barely dealing with that for more than a decade. They affected a large awareness and rhetorical shift. Despite what some posters may think, that was important.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The lead didn't come from the river. What happened was that the river water was so corrosive (Which is horrifying in and of itself) that it broke down the city's ancient-rear end pipe system and caused them to start leeching lead into the water supply. How the state tried to get around this was by only testing homes in areas where the pipes had been refurbished, and discounting any other results.

OK, so while obviously full of poo poo, at least they haven't descended to completely making stuff up. That's marginally comforting, though they're obviously still bad people.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Nothing I say or do is going to change their minds so why waste the effort? It didn't happen to them and happened to poor people in primarily black neighborhoods. They're probably happy something bad happened to "those people" they're just hiding it from me because I got upset that they kept using the n word at the dinner table last Christmas.

I loving hate my in-laws.

Jesus christ. Have you thought about loving severing that caustic family relationship?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rick_Hunter posted:

Jesus christ. Have you thought about loving severing that caustic family relationship?

They're only a problem if you haven't upgraded your plumbing.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

This, plus they pretty much single-handedly got Democrats talking about inequality and minimum wage again, after barely dealing with that for more than a decade. They affected a large awareness and rhetorical shift. Despite what some posters may think, that was important.

It also exposed people to things like Robert's Rules and participatory democracy, even if it simultaneously revealed what a clusterfuck such institutions can become when they are so blatantly fetishized.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

It's easy to dump your family but usually not your SO's.

Alligator Horse posted:

It also exposed people to things like Robert's Rules and participatory democracy, even if it simultaneously revealed what a clusterfuck such institutions can become when they are so blatantly fetishized.
I'm sorry but capitalism didn't collapse.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They're only a problem if you haven't upgraded your plumbing.

:aaa:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
So that bad Idaho school district that fired the lunch lady came out with a press release. Basically, we didn't do anything wrong, the lady was totally doing lots of bad things we can't tell you about, and also there aren't any hungry kids at our school because we use Republican Jesus-approved methods of making them pick themselves up by their bootstraps. But also she can have her job back since apparently everyone hates us now

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

It's easy to dump your family but usually not your SO's.

Yeah this.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hey, at least we're not London where scurvy, scarlet fever, and cholera rates in poor neighborhoods are higher than in Rwanda. god the world is so hosed

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The gilded age is back and bigger than ever

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

But how could a Cholera outbreak in London have started???

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Remember the guy who flew a gyrocopter into the Capitol? He's running against DWS! :woop:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Remember the guy who flew a gyrocopter into the Capitol? He's running against DWS! :woop:

quote:

"Mr. Hughes plans a 'strong ground game for his campaign, and will not engage in
aerial civil disobedience
,'" the document says while arguing to lift certain travel restrictions stipulated by the court in light of the longshot bid.

He didn't say anything about aquatic civil disobedience :wiggle: :krakken:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

scurvy, are you kidding me

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Joementum posted:

Couldn't be much worse than DWS

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

paranoid randroid posted:

scurvy, are you kidding me

It surprises you that the British are afflicted by a diet-based disease?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

Accomplishments:

• Creating the 1% meme
  • Bringing police brutality to the national spotlight and helping shift the narrative about them
  • Helping spread counteraction information about standard police anti-protest tactics
  • Giving a (literal) voice and rallying point for millennial frustrated with inequality
  • Getting the Dean of the college where an officer maced a line of protesters for no goddamn reason canned, leading to the awesome "silent walk of shame" moment

I mean it slanted way too much towards white college students and whites in general, but there were still protests like Oakland, which is probably the most occupy-y of all, down to actually occupying a foreclosed building as their headquarters.

But you're right, it wasn't able to get something passed given the house and the tea party morons in it, complete failure, everyone point and laugh

Also isn't the Rolling Jubilee still going? It's hard to find info about the Occupy spin-off groups that aren't overly rosy, but they exist and are still working for finance reform, labor rights, and a host of other related causes.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr. Wookums posted:

My cousin lives in flint with two toddlers. I'm curious about their experiences but I also don't want to blow up Christmas with potential politics chat. I know some of them are facebook :justpost: nutty fygm conservatives.

Maybe it's just because political discussions are a pretty normal thing in my family and there's no risk of anything "blowing up," but I find this kind of attitude really disturbing. Like, political discussions are important. Politics are important. Arguably more important than most things that most people spend time worrying about. It's important that people don't just sit in a bubble, whichever side of the political aisle they happen to be sitting on.

I don't know. Maybe it's just because I've been hearing this same kind of thing from a lot of friends lately, but it's been bothering the hell out of me.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 24, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Radish posted:

The Flint water thing has solidified my opinion that if you are evil you might as well go all the way with it. People on "your side" will think up ridiculous reasons why it's not your fault and moderates want to believe that there's no way one side could be so cartoonishly evil as to use corrosive water for poor people in order to save money so they will pretend it's not happening. The remaining people that care can be safely ignored.

Pretty much. There's still pretty much zero chance of one of your victims deciding to take matters in to their own hands and there's almost no risk of being punished via the legal system. The people in power have nothing to fear so why not do whatever they feel like? Who's going to stop them?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty much. There's still pretty much zero chance of one of your victims deciding to take matters in to their own hands and there's almost no risk of being punished via the legal system. The people in power have nothing to fear so why not do whatever they feel like? Who's going to stop them?

Just a reminder that Shkreli would probably have gotten off scott-free screwing over the little man twice had he not pissed off his own kind, and mandatory binding arbitration makes passing illegal, consumer-unfriendly fines on to your users a piece of cake to get away with, since no one in their right mind will spend more than the fine to try to recoup it.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

Giving a (literal) voice and rallying point for millennial frustrated with inequality

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204010604576597234026272432

quote:

Ms. Lembitz, another medic, was tending to one of the most common injuries: blisters on a bongo drummer's fingers.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah a big hole in our legal system right now is that there is tons of ways to cause misery on a massive scale that isn't illegal (or at least INCREDIBLY difficult to prosecute) and the intended check on that is the person being voted out of office. Let's pretend we don't live in a system where there's a lot of effort to make sure people don't vote and if they do it's often overruled (as was the case in this emergency manager). The penalty for poisoning a city is that you lose your job and then get a new one working with the people you helped. We talk a big game about "tough on crime" and how severe penalties are the only way to discourage criminals but then we are incredibly lenient on the people that do the most damage since they make the rules.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I've never been trolled by TDD before this! I'm pretty excited, I'm going places as a poster :)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

if you're as bored as i am at your family's turn on c-span 2. there's a fun house science committee hearing on astrobiology and extraterrestrial life .

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

I'm sure you've talked this out with your SO so you have strategies to deal with it, but thinking about it sounds unbearable. You're a pretty patient person.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

Maybe it's just because political discussions are a pretty normal thing in my family and there's no risk of anything "blowing up," but I find this kind of attitude really disturbing. Like, political discussions are important. Politics are important. Arguably more important than most things that most people spend time worrying about. It's important that people don't just sit in a bubble, whichever side of the political aisle they happen to be sitting on.

I don't know. Maybe it's just because I've been hearing this same kind of thing from a lot of friends lately, but it's been bothering the hell out of me.

A disproportionate amount of goons seem to come from conservative families that hate their political opinions (which is a contributing factor to their alcoholism).

My family agrees with my views, but personally I'm tired of it this year because it's just the Donald Trump show and that stopped being interesting about two months ago.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Paradoxish posted:

A lot of people don't want to think or talk too much about politics because they feel like they can't actually do anything about the issues they're arguing about. Discussing the ills of the world can make you feel even more powerless if you legitimately do not believe you can contribute to changing them. Others think they're not smart enough to take on those subjects and see no reason to take part in it.

I'm guessing that most people just don't want to argue during the holidays. As an adult you probably don't see your family very often and you'd rather not spend that time arguing about capital gains or protest movements.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fool_of_sound posted:

This is a lie. inequality and the minimum wage were platform planks for the Obama 2008 campaign in the primary and general election.

OWS itself did about jackshit besides popularize the 99% slogan itself.

there wolf posted:

Also isn't the Rolling Jubilee still going? It's hard to find info about the Occupy spin-off groups that aren't overly rosy, but they exist and are still working for finance reform, labor rights, and a host of other related causes.

The rolling jubilee people did that and continue to do that without the aid of nearly anyone from the encampments. There's a lot of things that people who also went to OWS proper did (for example, I helped with people from that to get people housed after Sandy), but attributing it to ows gives way too much credit to all the people who just thought standing ina lovely concrete park was enough on its own.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Maarek posted:

A lot of people don't want to think or talk too much about politics because they feel like they can't actually do anything about the issues they're arguing about. Discussing the ills of the world can make you feel even more powerless if you legitimately do not believe you can contribute to changing them. Others think they're not smart enough to take on those subjects and see no reason to take part in it.

I'm guessing that most people just don't want to argue during the holidays. As an adult you probably don't see your family very often and you'd rather not spend that time arguing about capital gains or protest movements.

As you get older you start seeing a existential crisis in the country, that we're diverting from our beacon of light status and headed towards utter chaos. I think my father has been feeling it for the last 25-30 years and you can see it in his weathered features. He's lived through Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II along with the Civil Rights Movement. At some point, right around when most people have kids, you just start to worry more politically and even more so for him because he did everything possible for me to have every opportunity despite being black in the U.S. of A. I'm feeling that now at 33.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I guess Bernie thinks we don't have a country

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rick_Hunter posted:

As you get older you start seeing a existential crisis in the country, that we're diverting from our beacon of light status and headed towards utter chaos. I think my father has been feeling it for the last 25-30 years and you can see it in his weathered features. He's lived through Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II along with the Civil Rights Movement. At some point, right around when most people have kids, you just start to worry more politically and even more so for him because he did everything possible for me to have every opportunity despite being black in the U.S. of A. I'm feeling that now at 33.

I gave up a long time ago. There's no point, nothing any of us can do about the political situation. Nobody listens to us because we don't have cash or influence. Voting doesn't matter, nothing matters except whether we can survive another day in a world of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Counterpoint: there's never been a better time to live in America.

• Locked thread