Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spirit-Dumbledore claims it in the limbo, and it's certainly implied generally. There is confirmation of the existence of a soul, and given all the other post-death stuff I think it's probably safe to assume there's something.

The Department of Mysteries Death Room scientists probably know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Spirit-Dumbledore claims it in the limbo, and it's certainly implied generally. There is confirmation of the existence of a soul, and given all the other post-death stuff I think it's probably safe to assume there's something.

It is actually perfectly consistent for Yud to completely ignore this fact, because this isn't about a scientific mindset, it's about "rationalism" (in his specific sense), which appears to have a great deal more about figuring out the "cheat codes to reality" and determining how to do things better than others, at which point you either impose your will on the universe (cure death) or dominate others through your occult knowledge.

This is clearly a closed ideology with some confirmed landmarks which are beyond questioning. For instance, the idea that death is not just bad, but a massive, unthinkable, unalloyed bad; instead of (perhaps) losing out on a few hundred years of cyber funtimes, death gets measured by the umptillions of years which you will NOT exist. The mere fact of some sort of afterlife does not necessarily change this, and I imagine Harry could easily just slightly adjust the rationalist script - "oh, so I have to live in ghost town, eh? or worship God in heaven, or burn in hell? pfeh! i'd rather be alive here, now!" - but it is better for him if he can simply ignore the entire topic as irrelevant.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MikeJF posted:

Ah, yup. Forgot about him. I suppose it's possible to handwave him away as a projection of Harry's mind, but I'd really be reaching at that point I think.

Afterlife confirmed!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Chapter 23

He leads himself into a room that he has never entered, just in case they look for him where he usually goes. The room is huge and empty, and Harry's eyes take a while to adjust to the darkness. As they begin to focus, he asks himself, "What could that be way in the back, up against the wall? Is it a king's mirror, a giant's mirror? Why not take a look," thinks our hero. "Why not take a deep, telling look?"

The mirror is warm and perfect, the reflection has no warbles, the form stays true when you move. But as Harry gazes, the mirror activates his magic eye to reveal a secret image.

"Oh, my God! Could it be? Are those my parents?" Harry asks. Harry knows they are dead, but could Heaven be here in this cold, cold reflection? The parents seem to animate and respond, "This is Heaven's entrance."

His mother is beautiful. The guy, he seems pretty cool, too. He reaches out to feel the blue face of his world's perimeter. He wonders what it would be like, what it would have been, if these people would have remained.

Harry feels his trapezius along in time with his mother. "This is mine," they both say in scary, scary unison.

Next thing you know, Harry is busting into Ronnie the Bear's chamber, disturbing him out of a beautiful slumber. If this is indeed the Gate to Heaven, he and his champion must enter it together. They swiftly navigate the castle's hallways and cast away the invisibility cloak once in the room of mirrors.

When Ron the Mighty is stood in front of the Gate of Heaven he begins straightaway to denounce it. He cries, "Heaven is for those too scared of nothingness! I will go no further than my mortal flesh will carry. This mirror is the sick bed of Heaven, Harry! The eternity of pansy lives!" Ronnie will have nothing to do with the mirror. He is only concerned with the flesh and the blood of the now.

This destroys Harry. Ron leaves him to contemplate the design of the cosmos versus the terminal beauty of being a wizard.

For forty-three days straight Harry sits in front of the Gate of Heaven, waiting for either God to appear, or for Ronnie to come back and apologise. But to Harry's surprise, neither show up. Only the Near-Dead Dumbledore stumbles upon the vigil. Harry is considerably weakened, and is actually taken surprised by Dumbledore's presence.

Dumbledore starts in. "Don't you want some cocoa or soup, Harry? Come away from the light of Heaven's easy life. We need such a valiant, beautiful warrior such as yourself here to live and to hack the serpents of evil in two. Hell, into twos? Into threes and fours! Your life will be the very envy of Heaven and its slobbery inhabitants. No, Harry. You were meant to stride with us, the living! To course with us and our blood. You are meant to end when your share of that blood turns brown upon the rocks of glory! You and I shall drink tonight, Harry. We shall drink to life's confines, to life's pearly end, which is the nothingness of death, not the perpetual pansiness of Heaven!"

Dumbledore is shaking with passion. He is beckoning Harry to enter into the sphere of manhood. Harry is all but wrapped in a buffalo skin, dancing and shaking a bow and arrow around a ceremonial fire. His rite of passage is here, now. He's like a young Native American, preparing to answer the question of life. Dumbledore is all aquiver, awaiting Harry's answer, and Harry answers... "Yes."

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The greatest tragedy of HPMOR is easily that Yudkowsky is, at the end of the day, not the worst writer of prose out there and all that overflowing enthusiasm could, if he had been more inclined to it and less insane, been channelled into something of actual acceptable quality, and I don't even think he would have to compromise on the science stuff if he really wanted to. Would help if it was more accurate and less, y'know, mad futurist.

Yud's science is absolutely terrible. Abysmally, utterly awful. He just has the nerve to claim 'all science method is standard science', and doesn't bother to fix anything ever.

At last count through chapter 14, Yud was batting 7/27 in general science references, and managed to get every single hard science reference wrong. I think Yud got one right in chapter 15 and then decides to stop making science references for a long time.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Again, that's the point... it needs to be more accurate and not whatever the hell this is right now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Again, that's the point... it needs to be more accurate and not whatever the hell this is right now.
Why should he give you the cow, when he can sell the milk solicit donations to support the work he hints at? The purpose isn't teaching, it's indoctrination.

e: Well, actually I'm sure it's pretty much an accident and he just meanders, but it would be entirely consistent with the philosophy of Elizierry so far

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 17 – Locating the Hypothesis
Part Fifteen

quote:

Dumbledore drew forth a small metal case and flipped it open, showing some small yellow lumps. "Sherbet lemon?" said the Headmaster.

"Er, no thank you, Heh," said Harry. Does slipping a student LSD count as hurting them, or does that fall into the category of harmless fun? "You, um, said something about my being too young to invoke the words of power and madness?"

"That you most certainly are!" Dumbledore said. "Thankfully the Words of Power and Madness were lost seven centuries ago and no one has the slightest idea what they are anymore. It was just a little remark."

"Ah..." Harry said. He was aware that his mouth was hanging open. "Why did you call me here, then?"

"Why? " Dumbledore repeated. "Ah, Harry, if I went around all day asking why I do things, I'd never have time to get a single thing done! I'm quite a busy person, you know."

Harry nodded, smiling. "Yes, it was a very impressive list. Headmaster of Hogwarts, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, and Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards. Sorry to ask but I was wondering, is it possible to get more than six hours if you use more than one Time-Turner? Because it's pretty impressive if you're doing all that on just thirty hours a day."

There was another slight pause, during which Harry went on smiling. He was a little apprehensive, actually a lot apprehensive, but once it had become clear that Dumbledore was deliberately messing with him, something within him absolutely refused to sit and take it like a defenceless lump.

Too young to have fully honed his survival instincts.

quote:

"I'm afraid Time doesn't like being stretched out too much," said Dumbledore after the slight pause, "and yet we ourselves seem to be a little too large for it, and so it's a constant struggle to fit our lives into Time."

Reminds me of a passage in Pratchett’s Thief of Time which talked about how, to the God / Avatar of Time in that story, time was merely like a piece of clothing that he put on or put off as the need arose.

quote:

"Indeed," Harry said with grave solemnity. "That's why it's best to come to our points quickly."

For a moment Harry wondered if he'd gone too far.

Then Dumbledore chuckled. "Straight to the point it shall be." The Headmaster leaned forwards, tilting his squashed mushroom hat and brushing his beard against his desk. "Harry, this Monday you did something that should have been impossible even with a Time-Turner. Or rather, impossible with only a Time-Turner. Where did those two pies come from, I wonder?"

A jolt of adrenaline shot through Harry. He'd done that using the Cloak of Invisibility, the one that had been given him in a Christmas box along with a note, and that note had said: If Dumbledore saw a chance to possess one of the Deathly Hallows he would never let it escape his grasp....

"A natural thought," Dumbledore went on, "is that since none of the first-years present were able to cast such a spell, someone else was present, and yet unseen. And if no one could see them, why, it would be easy enough for them to throw the pies. One might further suspect that since you had a Time-Turner, you were the invisible one; and that since the spell of Disillusionment is far beyond your current abilities, you had an invisibility cloak." Dumbledore smiled conspiratorially. "Am I on the right track so far, Harry?"

Harry was frozen. He had the feeling that an outright lie would not at all be wise, and possibly not the least bit helpful, and he couldn't think of anything else to say.

It’s so rare to see Eliezarry at a loss for words in this story that it’s actually kind of a pleasant surprise when it does happen.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Dumbledore's characterization is one of the consistently strong points of the HPMOR. He strikes a good balance, much like his canon counterpart, of being whimsical on one hand and terrifyingly powerful and intelligent on the other.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 30, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In It For The Tank posted:

Dumbledore's characterization is one of the consistently strong points of the HPMOR. He strikes a good balance, much like his canon counterpart, of being whimsical on one hand and terrifyingly powerful and intelligent on the other.

I recall some bits later on where his character gets seriously distorted to make room for Harry to take the spotlight. Basically, whenever Yudkowsky wants to use Harry to make a point, whatever character is around becomes a straw man for him to debate, and Dumbledore is no exception.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
If you're talking about what I think you are (their argument about death), then you're right that Harry thinks Dumbledore is foolish but, unless I'm seriously misremembering it, Dumbledore's stance is true to his character and argued sincerely enough that, even if Yud/Harry clearly disagrees with him, Dumbledore comes across as the more rational one, intentionally or otherwise.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I think they mean the point in MoR at which Dumblydore just starts staring at Harry in awe at how WISE and POWERFUL Harry is. That bit, to me, proved that Yud didn't really get the contrast in Dumbledore and just thought the entire stance Dumbledore takes in the book is dumb. (I mean, if he'd ever read the book.)

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Sixteen

quote:

Dumbledore waved a friendly hand. "Don't worry, Harry, you haven't done anything wrong. Invisibility cloaks aren't against the rules - I suppose they're rare enough that no one ever got around to putting them on the list. But really I was wondering something else entirely."

"Oh?" Harry said in the most normal voice he could manage.

Dumbledore's eyes shone with enthusiasm. "You see, Harry, after you've been through a few adventures you tend to catch the hang of these things. You start to see the pattern, hear the rhythm of the world. You begin to harbour suspicions before the moment of revelation. You are the Boy-Who-Lived, and somehow an invisibility cloak made its way into your hands only four days after you discovered our magical Britain. Such cloaks are not for sale in Diagon Alley, but there is one which might find its own way to a destined wearer. And so I cannot help but wonder if by some strange chance you have found not just an invisibility cloak, but the Cloak of Invisibility, one of the three Deathly Hallows and reputed to hide the wearer from the gaze of Death himself." Dumbledore's gaze was bright and eager. "May I see it, Harry?"

Harry swallowed. There was a full flood of adrenaline in his system now and it was entirely useless, this was the most powerful wizard in the world and there was no way he could make it out the door and there was nowhere in Hogwarts for him to hide if he did, he was about to lose the Cloak that had been passed down through the Potters for who knew how long -

Slowly Dumbledore leaned back into his high chair. The bright light had gone out of his eyes, and he looked puzzled and a little sorrowful. "Harry," said Dumbledore, "if you don't want to, you can just say no."

"I can?" Harry croaked.

"Yes, Harry," said Dumbledore. His voice sounded sad now, and worried. "It seems that you're afraid of me, Harry. May I ask what I've done to earn your distrust?"

Everything! Dumbledore has consistently been various blends of sinister, menacing and disturbing in each of his appearances in this story, so much so that my sympathies are fully with Eliezarry at this point, insufferable brat though he may have been.

quote:

Harry swallowed. "Is there some way you can swear a binding magical oath that you won't take my cloak?"

Why should Eliezarry trust Dumbledore even if Dumbledore said yes and swore a vow that purported to be unbreakable, though? Eliezarry isn’t sufficiently knowledgeable about magic to be able to verify any such claims that Dumbledore may make.

quote:

Dumbledore shook his head slowly. "Unbreakable Vows are not to be used so lightly. And besides, Harry, if you did not already know the spell, you would have only my word that the spell was binding.

My point exactly.

quote:

Yet surely you realise that I do not need your permission to see the Cloak. I am powerful enough to draw it forth myself, mokeskin pouch or no." Dumbledore's face was very grave.

I wasn’t expecting such a barefaced assertion of power, though.

quote:

"But this I will not do. The Cloak is yours, Harry. I will not seize it from you. Not even to look at for just a moment, unless you decide to show it to me. That is a promise and an oath. Should I need to prohibit you from using it on the school grounds, I will require you to go to your vault at Gringotts and store it there."

"Ah..." Harry said. He swallowed hard, trying to calm the flood of adrenaline and think reasonably. He took the mokeskin pouch off his belt. "If you really don't need my permission... then you have it." Harry held out the pouch to Dumbledore, and bit down hard on his lip, sending that signal to himself in case he was Obliviated afterwards.

The old wizard reached into the pouch, and without saying any word of retrieval, drew forth the Cloak of Invisibility.

"Ah," breathed Dumbledore. "I was right..." He poured the shimmering black velvet mesh through his hand. "Centuries old, and still as perfect as the day it was made. We have lost much of our art over the years, and now I cannot make such a thing myself, no one can. I can feel the power of it like an echo in my mind, like a song forever being sung without anyone to hear it..." The wizard looked up from the Cloak. "Do not sell it," he said, "do not give it to anyone as a possession. Think twice before you show it to anyone, and ponder three times again before you reveal it is a Deathly Hallow. Treat it with respect, for this is indeed a Thing of Power."

Dumbledore would be glad to know that we are rediscovering our art in this regard, albeit from a rather different angle.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Dumbledore loving rules

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What other Greatest Hits from HP is Yud gonna bring up next? Because these are shout-outs, not plot elements.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Seventeen

quote:

For a moment Dumbledore's face grew wistful...

...and then he handed the Cloak back to Harry.

Harry put it back in his pouch.

Dumbledore's face was grave once more. "May I ask again, Harry, how you came to distrust me so?"

Because you hire and condone teachers like Quirrell, and you concentrate all the racists and neo-Nazis and bullies among your students into one single group where they can encourage and reinforce each other’s beliefs and behavior and you do nothing to discourage or prevent them from bullying the other students, and you personally act and speak in an unsettling if not outright terrifying manner.

quote:

Suddenly Harry felt rather ashamed.

"There was a note with the Cloak," Harry said in a small voice. "It said that you would try to take the Cloak from me, if you knew. I don't know who left the note, though, I really don't."

"I... see," Dumbledore said slowly. "Well, Harry, I won't impugn the motives of whoever left you that note. Who knows but that they themselves may have had the best of good intentions? They did give you the Cloak, after all."

Harry nodded, impressed by Dumbledore's charity, and abashed at the sharp contrast with his own attitude.

The old wizard went on. "But you and I are both gamepieces of the same color, I think. The boy who finally defeated Voldemort, and the old man who held him off long enough for you to save the day.

How and when did Dumbledore “[hold] him off long enough”? Dumbledore wasn’t at the scene when Voldemort attacked the Potters.

quote:

I will not hold your caution against you, Harry, we must all do our best to be wise. I will only ask that you think twice and ponder three times again, the next time someone tells you to distrust me."

"I'm sorry," Harry said. He felt wretched at this point, he'd just told off Gandalf essentially, and Dumbledore's kindness was only making him feel worse. "I shouldn't have distrusted you."

Gandalf was canonically a manipulative rear end in a top hat in Tolkien’s books, though. Has Eliezer also not read Lord of the Rings in addition to not having read the Harry Potter series?

quote:

"Alas, Harry, in this world..." The old wizard shook his head. "I cannot even say you were unwise. You did not know me. And in truth there are some at Hogwarts who you would do well not to trust. Perhaps even some you call friends."

Harry swallowed. That sounded rather ominous. "Like who?"

Dumbledore stood up from his chair, and began examining one of his instruments, a dial with eight hands of varying length.

After a few moments, the old wizard spoke again. "He probably seems to you quite charming," said Dumbledore. "Polite - to you at least. Well-spoken, maybe even admiring. Always ready with a helping hand, a favour, a word of advice -"

"Oh, Draco Malfoy! " Harry said, feeling rather relieved that it wasn't Hermione or something. "Oh no, no no no, you've got it all wrong, he's not turning me, I'm turning him."

Why did Eliezarry think that Hermione was a possible candidate for what Dumbledore was talking about? Dumbledore had said “Perhaps even some you call friends”, but there’s been nothing so far in this story to suggest that Eliezarry has considered Hermione to be a friend or even a likable acquaintance. He’s only ever thought of her as a rival.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think by 'held him off' Dumbledore is referring to leading the fight against Voldemort and trying to defend Britain from his onslaught, not to the literal battle that killed him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Harry has probably correctly identified that only institutional sexism stands between him being Hermione's ally, rather than her being his.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

JosephWongKS posted:

Gandalf was canonically a manipulative rear end in a top hat in Tolkien’s books, though. Has Eliezer also not read Lord of the Rings in addition to not having read the Harry Potter series?

Probably not, but he doesn't need not to have done so to completely misinterpret the character. I haven't read them myself, but if what you say is true, and given Yud's writing of Draco plus his "Rationalism" which permits manipulation to save people from their own feelings, it's entirely possible he misread manipulativeness as intelligence.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Gandalf was also canonically a literal angel sent by the God of Abraham to watch over middle earth.

Probably something Yud didn't know or he would have commented on it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Eighteen

quote:

Dumbledore froze where he was peering at the dial. "You're what? "

"I'm going to turn Draco Malfoy from the Dark Side," Harry said. "You know, make him a good guy."

Dumbledore straightened and turned to Harry. He was wearing one of the most astonished expressions Harry had ever seen on anyone, let alone someone with a long silver beard. "Are you certain," said the old wizard after a moment, "that he is ready to be redeemed? I fear that whatever goodness you think you see within him is only wishful thinking - or worse, a lure, a bait -"

Another piece of evidence for why Dumbledore is not trustworthy – he’s aware that Draco is a rotten kid but can’t be bothered to put in any effort to try to reform Draco or anyone else in House Slytherin, despite Dumbledore’s enormous prestige and influence both as the Headmaster of the school that Draco is attending, as well as that derived from Dumbledore’s personal reputation and status as the very bestest wizard in Britain.

quote:

"Er, not likely," Harry said. "I mean if he's trying to disguise himself as a good guy he's incredibly bad at it. This isn't a question of Draco coming up to me and being all charming and me deciding that he must have a hidden core of goodness deep down. I selected him for redemption specifically because he's the heir to House Malfoy and if you had to pick one person to redeem, it would obviously be him."

Dumbledore's left eye twitched. "You intend to sow seeds of love and kindness in Draco Malfoy's heart because you expect Malfoy's heir to prove valuable to you?"

"Not just to me! " Harry said indignantly. "To all of magical Britain, if this works out! And he'll have a happier and mentally healthier life himself! Look, I don't have enough time to turn everyone away from the Dark Side and I've got to ask where the Light can gain the most advantage the fastest -"

Dumbledore started laughing. Laughing a lot harder than Harry would expect, almost howling. It seemed positively undignified. An ancient and powerful wizard ought to chuckle in deep booming tones, not laugh so hard he was gasping for breath. Harry had once literally fallen out of his chair while watching the Marx Brothers movie Duck Soup, and that was how hard Dumbledore was laughing now.

"It's not that funny," Harry said after a while. He was starting to worry about Dumbledore's sanity again.

I’ll concede that to Dumbledore, though. Eliezarry’s hubris is indeed that funny.

quote:

Dumbledore got himself under control again with a visible effort. "Ah, Harry, one symptom of the disease called wisdom is that you begin laughing at things that no one else thinks is funny, because when you're wise, Harry, you start getting the jokes!" The old wizard wiped tears away from his eyes. "Ah, me. Ah, me. Oft evil will shall evil mar indeed, in very deed."

Harry's brain took a moment to place the familiar words... "Hey, that's a Tolkien quote! Gandalf says that!"

"Theoden, actually," said Dumbledore.

"You're Muggleborn? " Harry said in shock.

Now that’s just… racist? Ableist? Anyways, why is Harry so surprised that Dumbledore has read Lord of the Rings? There’s no rule stating that wizards can’t read non-wizards’ books, after all.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Ah some Tolkien fanservice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's no rule, but wizard society is generally depicted as being unaware of lots of aspects of muggle culture. Things like rubber ducks and soccer are foreign to lots of them.

Yud's clunky referencing aside it's not out of character for Dumbledore to have more of an idea than most wizards.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Theoden, actually" :smug:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Not much to mock in this section, sadly. Yud's hubris and insistence for living in a world composed nearly entirely of pop culture references are not new to us.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The incessant pop culture references are actually pretty grating, because there's this greasy sheen of smugness over every single one of them. Why yes, I am indeed familiar with the epos of comedy known as the 1933 film Duck Soup, thank you very much, though I suppose that may be too cult of a thing for you to appreciate. :smuggo:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God I still can't get over how quickly he got accustomed to wizard terminology. That's so grating to me!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SSNeoman posted:

God I still can't get over how quickly he got accustomed to wizard terminology. That's so grating to me!
He rapidly assumed the jargon and nomenclature of a culture that presented him with obvious superior evidence of power. Say what you will about the grand power of rationalism and all that poo poo, as a wizard he can fly on a broom and turn people into frogs and poo poo.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Oh gawd, someone created a Wikipedia article for this thing. It probably passes Wikipedia-notability too.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

divabot posted:

Oh gawd, someone created a Wikipedia article for this thing. It probably passes Wikipedia-notability too.

Somebody please dig up a published writer who hated it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Curvature of Earth posted:

Somebody please dig up a published writer who hated it.

The catch is most of these were in the first thirty chapters, which are in fact passable and - the nerd catnip - make a great many really cool literary promises ... none of which the finished work comes through on. And there was that big hiatus, when Yudkowsky couldn't be bothered with it either and ended up just having to grind through to the end.

So basically the good reviews are of the start, and nobody except the dedicated and foolish has actually ploughed through to chapter 6,666 or whatever. The 2015 mainstream press is mostly bemused.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
For the record, I downloaded Yudkowsky's Rationality from AI to Zombies, aka "The Sequences", aka the definitive nonfiction works of Yudkowsky. I just wanted to confirm their legendary length.

The sequences are collectively 497,000 words long.

For reference, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is 481,000 words, though if you throw in the Hobbit and Silmarillion that shoots up to 707,000 words. (To anyone who actually read the Silmarillion: you have my pity.)

For a more relevant comparison, the Harry Potter series is 1,184,000 words long. Yudkowsky's Self-Insert and the Methods of Rationality is 662,000 words long according to FanFiction.Net

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

divabot posted:

The catch is most of these were in the first thirty chapters, which are in fact passable and - the nerd catnip - make a great many really cool literary promises ... none of which the finished work comes through on. And there was that big hiatus, when Yudkowsky couldn't be bothered with it either and ended up just having to grind through to the end.

So basically the good reviews are of the start, and nobody except the dedicated and foolish has actually ploughed through to chapter 6,666 or whatever. The 2015 mainstream press is mostly bemused.

I seem to remember the first few chapters (the few I could stand reading) being amazingly insufferable in and of themselves, with Draco being introduced as having "AWESOMECOOL hair" and Harry dismissing public schooling as "child conscription" and a bunch of other stuff I probably blanked out.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

(To anyone who actually read the Silmarillion: you have my pity.)

The Silmarillion is cool and good.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

For the record, I downloaded Yudkowsky's Rationality from AI to Zombies, aka "The Sequences", aka the definitive nonfiction works of Yudkowsky. I just wanted to confirm their legendary length.
The sequences are collectively 497,000 words long.

That's not all of them. They left out a lot of the stupider ones (Sparkly Elites, Why You Should Be A Scientific Racist, Why Gould Was Evil To Say You Shouldn't Be A Scientific Racist, the whole quantum physics fuckup) which leaves gaps in the epistemology at the embarrassing bits. Presumably those will come later.

(Also, you miss all the comments on the original posts, which frequently skewer whatever BS EY is spouting. He ignored them, of course.)

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

I seem to remember the first few chapters (the few I could stand reading) being amazingly insufferable in and of themselves, with Draco being introduced as having "AWESOMECOOL hair" and Harry dismissing public schooling as "child conscription" and a bunch of other stuff I probably blanked out.

yyyyeahhh ymmv. I have posted earlier in this thread about my high personal tolerance for bad fanfic. (Currently busy sewer-diving Panacea Quest, a notorious Worm fanfic which got one of the finest fanfic reviews I've ever seen from the moderator banning the author from Spacebattles. So far, I'm concluding mind-control fetishists are a worse infestation in one's fandom than bronies.)

divabot fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 24, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

divabot posted:

Panacea Quest

:chanpop: :catstare: :wtc:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I didn't last until the end of the first page of the archive. Once you know the author is a mind-control rape erotica fetishist, it's enchanted piss forests all the way down.

This sort of thing is what I mean when I say that HPMOR is pretty good for a fanfic.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

divabot posted:

I didn't last until the end of the first page of the archive. Once you know the author is a mind-control rape erotica fetishist, it's enchanted piss forests all the way down.

This sort of thing is what I mean when I say that HPMOR is pretty good for a fanfic.

That's like saying it's the garbage at the top of the bin, that's only a day old and might still technically be edible once you shoo the flies away and cut out the rotted and moldy parts.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

That's like saying it's the garbage at the top of the bin, that's only a day old and might still technically be edible once you shoo the flies away and cut out the rotted and moldy parts.

This is pretty accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

"it's pretty good for a fanfic. the author only mentions rape for one excruciatingly long scene, and i don't think it comes up again in their other work, at least not as far as i've seen"