Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Moto G 2015 is starting to get Marshmallow in North America.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-60-marshmallow-starts-rolling-out-unlocked-moto-g-2015-north-america

So, let's let this sink in for a second. If you have a Nexus 6 on AT&T, you are stuck on Lollipop. If you have a MXP or a Moto G on AT&T, you are on Marshmallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The Moto G 2015 is starting to get Marshmallow in North America.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-60-marshmallow-starts-rolling-out-unlocked-moto-g-2015-north-america

So, let's let this sink in for a second. If you have a Nexus 6 on AT&T, you are stuck on Lollipop. If you have a MXP or a Moto G on AT&T, you are on Marshmallow.

"Stuck"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's an apt descriptor since you can't simply sideload the OTA because there's no OTA that will upgrade from AT&T's current build. You have to flash the factory images which means a data wipe if you don't want to have goofy problems.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So what is the better screen protector for an Android? Plastic or a tempered glass one?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
My Moto X '14 has been doing this really great thing since updating to 6.0 where sometimes I'll pair my phone with the bluetooth in my car and the audio won't play through the car until I reboot the phone, even if I forget the bluetooth connection and reconnect. It's totally not making me want to fastball my phone through the windshield.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Fat_Cow posted:

So what is the better screen protector for an Android? Plastic or a tempered glass one?

Tempered glass is the superior choice no matter your phone's os.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Athenry posted:

Tempered glass is the superior choice no matter your phone's os.

Agreed, but here come the goons that have used their phone without anything on the screen for 5 straight years. Not a micro scratch anywhere. It's fascinating.

Tempered glass 4 lyfe.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

hotsauce posted:

Agreed, but here come the goons that have used their phone without anything on the screen for 5 straight years. Not a micro scratch anywhere. It's fascinating.

Tempered glass 4 lyfe.

Haha I'm sorry to be that guy but screen protectors are loving pointless in 2015(/6). You can gouge any phone worth a poo poo's screen with a kitchen knife, keys, whatever, and there won't be a mark on it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What if my phone's from 2014

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Calaveron posted:

What if my phone's from 2014

Then it's even more scratch resistant, this years Gorilla Glass 4 traded off some scratch resistance for better shatter resistance.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

repiv posted:

Then it's even more scratch resistant, this years Gorilla Glass 4 traded off some scratch resistance for better shatter resistance.

I had my moto x with a screen protector but poo poo got so scratched and foggy and grimy I just took it off and it looks so much better now and nary a scratch on it.
It'll suck when the oleophobic coating rubs off, though.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

starry skies above posted:

Has google finished rolling out the OTA Marshmallow update for Nexus devices? Got my Nexus 6 , finished booting/updating and not getting prompt to download Android 6.0.

Given that you've just got it; gently caress waiting.

Unlock bootloader and flash the latest image.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My 2014 Moto X got the Marshmallow update a few days ago and it's working great so far. Doze has increased battery life a lot overnight.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Daily Forecast posted:

Haha I'm sorry to be that guy but screen protectors are loving pointless in 2015(/6). You can gouge any phone worth a poo poo's screen with a kitchen knife, keys, whatever, and there won't be a mark on it.

Bullshit, sand will scratch any of today's screens. I've already got a small scratch in my Nexus 6P's screen - got it the day before my screen protector arrived. Surely I'm just imagining it though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Use a screen protector or don't. Not really something worth arguing about. I know I personally would rather have a tiny scratch or two that's only visible under a bright light or extreme angle than deal with any of the screen protectors on the market. Until there's something out there that's orders of magnitude thinner than what's on the market, replicates the feel of the screen perfectly, and has no visible outlines or cutouts, I won't be on-board. I replace my phone every year anyways so none of them end up looking like they have much use.

It'll be interesting to see if the type of screen the Turbo 2 has catches on and if it can be improved to fix some of problems it has. It by design has a sacrificial top layer that can be end user replaced. No screen protector necessary because the top layer of the screen IS a screen protector.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Radbot posted:

Bullshit, sand will scratch any of today's screens. I've already got a small scratch in my Nexus 6P's screen - got it the day before my screen protector arrived. Surely I'm just imagining it though.

Do you live on Tatooine

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
The Android Thread - I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you live on Tatooine
I live in New Mexico which is worse. Screen protectors 4 lyfe

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

The Android Thread - I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

:golfclap:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

nimper posted:

fphahahaha

bull3964 posted:

Use a screen protector or don't. Not really something worth arguing about. I know I personally would rather have a tiny scratch or two that's only visible under a bright light or extreme angle than deal with any of the screen protectors on the market.
Honestly, this. I've tried various screen protectors and I've ripped them off in a fury after maybe about ninety seconds of use due to how much they make using the phone feel like poo poo. I personally have been keeping my phone and keys in the same pocket for, well, my entire adult life but for smartphones in particular maybe about four years and I've been able to resell all of my devices in mint condition.

edit: To be fair, I live in Seattle, which is a place not known for its sand content

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 24, 2015

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So my AT&T Nexus 6P seems to be stuck on H. Not upgrading to LTE. After Google searching some I came across this.

quote:

Now onto the issue at hand. Turns out my IMEI number was correctly set on my account, and LTE was set as my Preferred network type under Cellular network settings. The issue was with my APN. The below change applies to both ATT Nextgenphone and ATT Phone APNs. Only this single line was changed from my original APN settings:

APN Type
default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri

The original setting did not include admin, and was in a different order. I was told the order actually matters. After this I am now getting LTE on both APNs and not HSPA+. I am using ATT Nextgenphone as I understand that with Marshmallow 6.0.1 VoLTE works on this APN.
. I found the APN settings on my phone but I have no idea what they mean.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Gah, the Nexus 5X doesn't work with Cricket, whats the next best option?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh? The Nexus 5x works on all US carriers.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kraps posted:

Gah, the Nexus 5X doesn't work with Cricket, whats the next best option?
Don't trust the Cricket website to tell you what phones work on its network.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Huh? The Nexus 5x works on all US carriers.

nimper posted:

Don't trust the Cricket website to tell you what phones work on its network.

Haha well I'm embarrassed, thanks for the info guys!

edit it won't let me check out unless I have a device picked, what do I do?

Kraps fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 24, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Kraps posted:

I'm on the road right now, so I can't check for sure.. It's odd it won't let you select none, or just "bring your own android". It may be worth calling them i guess

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My Moto X '14 has been doing this really great thing since updating to 6.0 where sometimes I'll pair my phone with the bluetooth in my car and the audio won't play through the car until I reboot the phone, even if I forget the bluetooth connection and reconnect. It's totally not making me want to fastball my phone through the windshield.

My Moto X 2013 started doing exactly this after getting Lollipop.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It took me 20 minutes to pair my Nexus 5x with my car. It kept refusing to recognize that the car was there and only by managing to snipe the car's system during the 1 second it showed up in the list was I able to pair it.

Bluetooth has been and continues to be utter and complete poo poo in android.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Kraps posted:

Type in your IMEI number

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

TenaciousTomato posted:

Type in your IMEI number

I did, and it's telling me the phone is incompatible, that's why I'm asking.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bull3964 posted:

It took me 20 minutes to pair my Nexus 5x with my car. It kept refusing to recognize that the car was there and only by managing to snipe the car's system during the 1 second it showed up in the list was I able to pair it.

Bluetooth has been and continues to be utter and complete poo poo in android.
I had nothing but problems with android bt until I got the Moto X Pure. All the devices I previously had problems with (portable speaker, headphones, sound bar, my car) all work flawlessly in 6.x on the MXP

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've never had problems with Bluetooth in my car or any speakers or accessories I've used. Across like 40 devices too. Could just be a fluke.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

I had nothing but problems with android bt until I got the Moto X Pure. All the devices I previously had problems with (portable speaker, headphones, sound bar, my car) all work flawlessly in 6.x on the MXP

My MXP is fairly well behaved. Immediately after the upgrade to Marshmallow, I had a few issues with my BRZ with it disconnecting randomly (WRX was fine). I did a factory reset so I could start from scratch with app permissions and it's been fine since that.

The worst has always been my N7 and N10 after KitKat came out. I couldn't use a bluetooth speaker and stream video at the same time. The bluetooth connection would slaughter the wifi throughput, even if I forced it to 5ghz and I was standing right next to the router.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lblitzer posted:

I've never had problems with Bluetooth in my car or any speakers or accessories I've used. Across like 40 devices too. Could just be a fluke.

I've never had any issues either.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Kraps posted:

Have you considered 'a carrier other than Cricket'?

Keep in mind that Cricket is one of those providers that literally doesn't know how to provision tethering. Not 'refuses to'.

Also they're an MVNO of AT&T, so standard AT&T caveats apply.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I'm having issues with Group MMS to coming into my Nexus 6P (Project Fi SIM). I had an iPhone and switched back when the new Nexus came out. Before I sold my iPhone I disabled iMessage. I can receive texts just fine, but group messages sent by people via their iPhones don't reach me. Anyone had this issue? I can't believe Apple gets away with this poo poo. I'm locked into their ecosystem whether I like it or not?!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Do you still have an iPad or Mac? If so check there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're owned by AT&T. If they're not provisioning for tethering, it's because they don't want to.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Kraps posted:

Go to the prepaid thread. You'll get help there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Kraps posted:

You can buy Cricket sims at Walmart for like 6$ if you aren't in a rush? poo poo even if you are, Walmart is open until like 830 today