Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

The prequels were all about self-importance. Lucas was obviously aware that Star Wars was considered important, but perhaps didn't grasp the exact nature of its importance. It was important in a meta way, because of its moment in film history. The plot itself was nothing special; it was just a good movie with good characters, moments, art direction, and action scenes.
Lucas's first mistake with the prequels was thinking they should be all about the plot, all about explaining the workings of the Star Wars universe. He believed that was the important part. Of course, his bigger, more significant mistake was that he's simply not good at making plot-heavy movies. Midichlorians were the worst example, but really, the whole drat movies were Midichlorians.

The Star Wars prequels barely have any plot. They have more plot than the originals, but that's unavoidable given the nature of the story they need to tell. And the first two prequels are still quite light on plot compared to most other movies. The vast, vast majority of the actual plot of the prequel trilogy is contained in Episode III, and Episode III remains the most highly-rated prequel. So clearly that's not what audiences were reacting against.

And it's not as if Lucas had no idea he was making different sorts of movies from the originals. He's been saying exactly how the prequels would differ from the originals for a long, long time before he actually made them. From here:

quote:

L.A Herald Examiner- August 21, 1980

Lucas says he chose to start in the middle because the first trilogy is more plot-oriented, more soap-opera-ish.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

If you don't get slightly aroused at the sight of Adam Driver then I don't know what to say.

I'm hard right now

Guys I watched this for the third time yesterday, movie is still awesomesauce. I love it.

A small easter egg that seems to be ignored by everyone, but I'm sure everyone noticed when they're sneaking around on not-Death Star and the troopers running to find them say "we think they may be splitting up..." in exactly the same cadence and tone as the delivery in ANH, and with exactly the same context. And right after the "have you seen the new so-and-so thinger."

My friends loved the whole thing. Yay Star Wars!

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
one thing I notice from a rewatch is the falcon have a new dish, since the old one got knocked off in the battle for endor.

but I don't get why people are mad about people thinking Kylo is nonthreating since that is what the movie is going for, he trying to come off as big bad ordering to slughter a village, choking his men, but deep down he is a kid playing dress up. and that why he is a great villain, there is more to be a great villain then being badass.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 24, 2015

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well I'm trying to differentiate "plot" from "story". I feel the prequels are plot-focused movies in the sense that giving a large-scale summary of the events that happen in the movies is essentially the same thing as watching them. Because there's practically no "story" created by focusing on the characters' actions and reactions. The plot is the story. (Maybe "backstory" is a better word than "plot" here.)

The plot making absolutely no sense, of course, is where this definitively becomes a problem. I'm not suggesting George accidentally made a different type of movie. He wanted to create a weighty, Tolkien-esque mythology. He just wasn't good at it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

The Star Wars prequels barely have any plot. They have more plot than the originals, but that's unavoidable given the nature of the story they need to tell. And the first two prequels are still quite light on plot compared to most other movies. The vast, vast majority of the actual plot of the prequel trilogy is contained in Episode III, and Episode III remains the most highly-rated prequel. So clearly that's not what audiences were reacting against.

I'm not sure how you could have come to this conclusion. Phantom Menace has no fewer than four plot lines intercut in its finale, and Clones follows two lines like Empire. Both visit more than the standard three locations per OT movie.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sir Lemming posted:

No Star Wars movie can ever be as "important" as the first one. It's just not possible. At the time, nobody had ever seen anything like it before.

But what about Empire?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not sure how you could have come to this conclusion. Phantom Menace has no fewer than four plot lines intercut in its finale, and Clones follows two lines like Empire. Both visit more than the standard three locations per OT movie.

Naboo, Tatooine, Coruscant, ???

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay, Clones. I was thinking of spaceships as a place but I guess they don't count.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The entire political arrangement makes very little sense despite being an important part of the film. Delusional left-fascists fighting the aristocratic old guard of a complacent liberal democracy -- which, in the brief seconds that it appears in the film, are shown through imagery to be an actual restoration of the Old Republic, with the structural flaws that implies. Who are the good guys here, really? What are they fighting for?

At least we understand why Luke ran away from this mess.

It's made pretty clear: the Rebels of the OT do not control the galaxy. Rebels control a few planets from the OT, with a decapitated Empire having entered a peace treaty with the Rebels (because at this point the Rebels have blown up two death stars, two space killwizards, and shrugged off two full-force ambush attacks). First Order are not the Empire. There is a reason First Order explicitly differentiates themselves aesthetically in every uniform, armor, and vehicle from Empire.

Again:

Empire: ineffectual milquetoast husk of what was a fascist dictatorship, controls most planets loosely. Those "few seconds" are of Empire planets, not resistance. Neutral force.

Resistance: more organized Rebels from OT. Do not control every planet. Resistance-friendly planets shown to be pretty nice places to be. Good guys.

First Order: the KKK to the Empire's Free South. Murderous, use child soldiers, dont give a poo poo about anything but taking over the Empire and returning to a fascist, racist dictatorship. Bad Guys.

Empire is neutral because all they do in the film is get their military-reinforced planets blown up. Resistance is good guys because they treat people well and are composed of unequivocally Good Characters. First Order is bad because they blew up relatively peaceful and uninvolved planets because they and their child soldiers want to be The New Empire.

What part of this is so confusing? I've seen the film all of once three days ago and I still got it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
This shouldn't be bothering me as much as it does, but you'd expect a forum full of hyper-subtext-reading nerds to you know, pay attention.

Havelock Ellis
Oct 21, 2010

Yes...hmmm.

The entire political arrangement makes very little sense despite being an important part of the film. Delusional left-fascists fighting the aristocratic old guard of a complacent liberal democracy -- which, in the brief seconds that it appears in the film, are shown through imagery to be an actual restoration of the Old Republic, with the structural flaws that implies. Who are the good guys here, really? What are they fighting for?

At least we understand why Luke ran away from this mess.

This is what I took away from from Luke's exile, his disillusionment with what their victory was achieving. Both the Resistance/Republic and the First Order seemed to lack major/popular support, the Republic has about 5 planets under its dominion if I remember right. Despite 30 years passing no one is rushing to support either.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cyron posted:

one thing I notice from a rewatch is the falcon have a new dish, since the old one got knocked off in the battle for endor.

but I don't get why people are mad about people thinking Kylo is nonthreating since that is what the movie is going for, he trying to come off as big bad ordering to slughter a village, choking his men, but deep down he is a kid playing dress up. and that why he is a great villain, there is more to be a great villain then being badass.

He's threatening in a different way than Vader or Maul. Mostly everyone in this thread gets that. What we were arguing against was the few who were saying that him being a "non-threat" made him a bad or ineffectual villain.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I thought Kylo was sad. Not like, pathetic sad, but Adam Driver did a really good job portraying the inner conflict and desperate self loathing and I wanted Kylo to quit hating himself so much because it's an awful feeling. So next movie will be interesting because I really think he is going to mentally destroy himself trying to make up for his loss to Rey at the end

and goddamn Oscar Isaac is dreamy. and can play guitar and sing. :allears:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

Empire is neutral because all they do in the film is get their military-reinforced planets blown up.
Are you sure you were paying attention? The planet that was destroyed was the capital of the (New) Republic. The Empire, or what was left of it outside the First Order, was not seen in the film.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Are you sure you were paying attention? The planet that was destroyed was the capital of the (New) Republic. The Empire, or what was left of it outside the First Order, was not seen in the film.

I assume it's a separate entity, considering the military force of The Resistance consists of a whopping five ships, and Finn acted like mentioning The Resistance on Jakku was a horrible thing to do. It's entirely possible that The New Republic is the result of the Empire losing its Emperor; if you are to believe the PT are canon, power should travel back to the ineffectual republic chambers.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Havelock Ellis posted:

This is what I took away from from Luke's exile, his disillusionment with what their victory was achieving. Both the Resistance/Republic and the First Order seemed to lack major/popular support, the Republic has about 5 planets under its dominion if I remember right. Despite 30 years passing no one is rushing to support either.

Pretty sure he left because he tried to train his nephew/best friend's son and ended up having his old family issues come back to gently caress it all up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Augus posted:

But what about Empire?

Another great example (the best, to be sure) of the right way to follow up a movie like Star Wars. I just wouldn't consider it as "important" even though it's a better movie. But that's really inconsequential, since it was in the same time period.

Havelock Ellis
Oct 21, 2010

Yes...hmmm.

Augus posted:

Pretty sure he left because he tried to train his nephew/best friend's son and ended up having his old family issues come back to gently caress it all up.

It turns out that Jedi training can have a bad effect on people, who knew.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

I assume it's a separate entity, considering the military force of The Resistance consists of a whopping five ships, and Finn acted like mentioning The Resistance on Jakku was a horrible thing to do. It's entirely possible that The New Republic is the result of the Empire losing its Emperor; if you are to believe the PT are canon, power should travel back to the ineffectual republic chambers.

Slashfilm did a writeup of 25 things that kind of covers this:
  • The war is over: The death of Emperor Palpatine has given the galaxy evidence that the Empire can be defeated, and according to the Visual Dictionary, “a longing for freedom and peace drove a great tide of revolution from sector to sector, to the point of a truce — unthinkable at the height of the Galactic Civil War — was signed between the New Republic and the weakened Empire.”
  • A New Republic is formed: In Aftermath we learn that Chancellor Mon Mothma restores the Galactic Senate to create a forum for the republic, with all worlds having equal say in shaping the government. The Alliance rebranded as the New Republic.
  • The New Republic has a military: The book says the New Republic fleet is the largest defense force in the galaxy, but nevertheless is a fraction of what it was during the Clone Wars.
  • The Senate is restored: The senate was restored and passed the Military Disarmament Act. The Galactic Concordance peace treaty was signed which restricted the Empire’s ability to wage war, and turned its focus to reshaping galactic politics.
  • The First Order rises up: With their abilities restricted, the old Empire withered away and eventually organized in the unknown regions of the galaxy as the First Order.

Rest of the tidbits here: http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-questions/ there's some really great info that'll catch you up to speed on the state of things and the lore.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So, has the EU cruft started to accumulate yet? They jettisoned all of that stuff for the new trilogy, but are there comics depicting Unkar Plutt's childhood, or short stories about Traitor Trooper, or a novel-length Wookieepedia entry for rathtars yet?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Thats a pretty cool and understandable summary, and it doesn't conflict with reading that there are three entities at play; the peaceful and neutral New Republic, the old-guard Rebels/Resistance continuing to push back at Empire control, and the First Order.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Phylodox posted:

So, has the EU cruft started to accumulate yet? They jettisoned all of that stuff for the new trilogy, but are there comics depicting Unkar Plutt's childhood, or short stories about Traitor Trooper, or a novel-length Wookieepedia entry for rathtars yet?

There's 6 novels out, plus some ongoing comics.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sir Lemming posted:

Another great example (the best, to be sure) of the right way to follow up a movie like Star Wars. I just wouldn't consider it as "important" even though it's a better movie. But that's really inconsequential, since it was in the same time period.

Eh it's pretty important, it pretty much coined the modern action movie sequel, and it also created the expanded mythos that made Star Wars such a long-lasting thing. Both movies are landmarks of cinema for sure.

jivjov posted:

And the Rebels TV series (which is quite good)

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 24, 2015

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

jivjov posted:

There's also a (really bland with squandered potential) phone game called Uprising which deals with the immediate fallout of the Emperor dying and the Death Star 2 being destroyed (they lock down all the planets and claim the rebels got punked)

IIRC the comics also reveal Lando's daughter? Or tease it?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Phylodox posted:

The big guy with the robot arms dragging the junk was actually the original designer of the star killer base but they kicked him out because he messed up the plans to the garbage smashers allowing captain plasma to escape because it turns out she's actually the daughter of the guy who tried to steal bb8 from Rey but he owes robot arms guy money because he helped han solo plant the tracker on the falcon since it turns out the bread they eat on jakku is ground up sand worms and gently caress you Disney for destroying my favorite novel about the space seahorse who is immune to all the force powers so he's actually the guy that Darth platypus used to forge the one ring am I doing this right

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not the one being dishonest about the movie we're discussing. I get it, TFA having a pathetic non-threatening bad guy is one of the ways TFA is different than ANH, requiring the invention of "Kylo is ~so threatening, fer shure you guys~" reading so it fully mimics ANH to suit you, but it's not supported in the movie we got. Great movie, bad guy about as good at creating tension as that "I'll get you next time, Gadget!" dude whose name I'm blanking on.

Say Kylo is threatening? go to Space Wizard Jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 portions from the CGI dude nobody has complained about because it's not the prequels anymore.

E: vvv I already made the comparison between "Kylo is threatening" and "Actually It's About Ethics" stuff. You laugh at those who say it's about ethics, you laugh at those who say Kylo is threatening.

the cgi dude was bad but isn't as bad as the prequels because it isn't shot entirely in george lucas's bluescreen hellscape

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also, I and plenty of other posters have mentioned being unimpressed with Snoke, so...

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I still haven't really seen the movie yet, but the thing that bothered me leading up to the movie, which now seems to be confirmed, is that rather than continuing to be "cyclical" it sounds out-and-out regressive. Every single thing the characters in the OT fought for and most of their development as characters is gone, just so the new characters can be more important. It sounds like Luke failed to restore and reform the Jedi Order, Han went back to not having any people or a cause he cares about, Leia is cut off from all of her loved ones even though much of her arc was about letting herself have human feelings in spite of her commitment to the Rebellion, and the democracy they all fought to restore has been perfunctorily destroyed. There's a difference between things that rhyme like poetry and regressing everything so that the new characters they're pushing can be the ones who REALLY make a difference and so they can imitate the older movies. I'm surprised I haven't seen more people unhappy with this choice.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
There are a few bits in the visual dictionary too. They clearly filmed a senate scene, and you very briefly see leias envoy to the Senate in the final film before she explodes.

Basically there is a ceasefire/disarmament agreement with the empire, everyone kind of knows the first order is militarising but don't acknowledge the threat so leia forms the resistance to fight them outside of repuvlic territory which doesn't have formal approval (hence hux talking about the republics lies I guess)

Leia gets enough proof of the order rearming and sends her envoy to the Senate but she explodes because it's too late.

Interesting thing about the new senate - the reason it's not on coruscating is that mon mother decides the Senate host will rotate every few years.

I really wish we had seen that scene. The aliens are boss, like a posh cantina scene.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How much cocaine has Carrie Fisher used in her lifetime

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Smoking Crow posted:

How much cocaine has Carrie Fisher used in her lifetime

Remember Hoth?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I wonder how long Kylo will have his helmet on for in the next movie before we see his scar.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cyron posted:

Nobody is mad, they're just aware that the word "threatening" includes things that aren't "badass."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

korusan posted:

I wonder how long Kylo will have his helmet on for in the next movie before we see his scar.

Maybe he'll get some cool half helmet thing like this guy:

[edit] Here's a screencap instead of concept art from the MMO game:

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 24, 2015

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

teagone posted:

That design is okay but it's really hard for me to take anything from that awful game seriously.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress I wish that game was good. I was so invested in it until I played it.

It taught me never to buy MMOs or special editions on launch, ever.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress I wish that game was good. I was so invested in it until I played it.

I just want Galaxies or something similar back. I'm sick of video game companies treading on old good universes and stories. TOR is such an abomination of Star Wars. They didn't even pay money for any of the original music.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
After watching this a second time with the family, I really have to say that so many things from cinematography to editing to shot composition and what I guess could be called mis-en-scene, pacing, aesthetic and lighting and even just the general 'tone' of the whole thing, really, seems exactly like a Marvel movie. On a raw stylistic level there really doesn't seem to be anything separating this from the 3-4 other soulless capeshit flicks Disney pumps out each year.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Steve2911 posted:

WoW was good at launch and it kept getting better until everyone quit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

[edit] Here's a screencap instead of concept art from the MMO game:

So this is a droid with a human skin get up?

• Locked thread