Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or it's like the comics and despite being blown up Superman has now met 97% of the population of Krypton and it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

greatn posted:

They never actually attacked the city until literally the cliffhanger of the previous episode.

And you think he is showing up in the next episode or two? Because I am pretty sure he isn't. I mean, I don't even think it is necessary for him to show up and punch things even at this point since I am guessing MM and Supergirl and the rest will have the immediate situation handled, but it is very transparent that he isn't on the show for purely business reasons just because of how horrible his character is from a writing perspective on this show. Even the show runners have contradicted themselves massively.

They say they never wanted him on the show because he would overshadow Kara but they have him looming off screen, constantly having her compared to him negatively by other characters, as well as showing her struggling (all the while he is still out there some where doing his thing.) The entire core of this show so far has been Kara being in the shadow of her cousin, who even saved her life once already (though we weren't really allowed to see it.) It would have made infinitely more sense if he were dead or some how physically unable to be present (indefinitely or permanently) since then they would get precisely the character arc they are going for (allegedly going for.) With Clark constantly looming off screen, he's always going to be the elephant in the room, even when Kara does something amazing and wins and it is even worse when something bad happens and she fails.

Superman is known for not just saving a city, but occasionally saving the world. The whole point of this show seems to be to get Kara to be the hero that her cousin is or more, but if she achieves that while her cousin is lurking just out of sight, then are we really just going to get a congratulatory text from him saying "lol gj wp ;)" ? Or are they contradicting their own attempts at feminism by imposing a glass ceiling of sorts as to what she will accomplish (so there is no reason for the two to meet.)

It's stupid, bad, and dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So maybe he's Silver Age Superman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

And you think he is showing up in the next episode or two? Because I am pretty sure he isn't. I mean, I don't even think it is necessary for him to show up and punch things even at this point since I am guessing MM and Supergirl and the rest will have the immediate situation handled,

I mean, exactly, he won't show up because Supergirl and da DEO gonna TCB. He ain't needed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He won't show up because this isn't his show. Why you are being a giant baby about this

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

He won't show up because this isn't his show. Why you are being a giant baby about this

Characters who the show is not named after never appear on said shows. Got it. Anyway, They've already cast a teenage Clark Kent, so yes, he will be on the show, just not as Superman in the present (for the time being), though he kind of did show up already as Superman for a few seconds.

Sorry I am discussing a comic book show in a comic book TV discussion thread though. As a trigger warning, I will probably keep doing this though. Sorry if this is a major inconvenience. You'll pull through. I believe in you. :)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Jesus you're being a baby. "Why doesn't Superman/The Flash/The Avengers/etc. come in and solve everything?" is a thing in basically any superhero story. You just have to assume the a-listers only have so much time in a day/don't have perfect time tables. Beside that I don't see why is it a bad thing for Supergirl to accomplish something on her own even if she's not literally the only superhero on earth (almost as if she has agency?)?

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 23, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

mycot posted:

Jesus you're being a baby. "Why doesn't Superman/The Flash/The Avengers/etc. come in and solve everything?" is a thing in basically any superhero story.

Despite your efforts to insult me, you have instead inspired me to type many more words that will probably displease you. Comic TV discussion ahead:

One of the things that sets Supergirl apart from Arrow or Agents of SHIELD is that neither of the other two shows are built around teasing the fact that a more powerful (and popular) hero is looming just outside of reach, threatening to over shadow the main cast and solve their problems for them. Arrow episodes don't feature the team wondering if they should just call Barry, or comparing Barry to Ollie every time Ollie has a bad day. Likewise SHIELD isn't constantly comparing themselves to the Avengers or trying to come up with reasons for why they shouldn't call in a favor, though I will admit that with SHIELD it really does test the limits of making sense some times.

Superman not being a character in Supergirl's story would be less problematic from a creative writing perspective if he wasn't regularly being brought up by the characters. He is essentially the ultimate Chekov's Gun until he finally shows up or they at least get rid of him off screen.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 23, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

Despite your efforts you insult me, you have instead inspired me to type many more words that will probably displease you.

Mods rename the forum to this.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Mods rename the forum to this.

:negative: Sometimes you never see a typo until someone quotes you.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 23, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ToastyPotato posted:

:negative: Sometimes you never see a type until someone quotes you.

Is this a deliberate joke or not?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

mycot posted:

Is this a deliberate joke or not?

I didn't notice my typo until I saw it quoted? What are you missing?

Edit: SON OF A BITCH.

I straight up didn't see that one until the second time I read your post and my quote. FFS

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aphrodite posted:

So maybe he's Silver Age Superman.

They should have background news stories mentioning superman using his super absorbent hair and other silver age feats

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not AS mad about it, but yes, there's a difference between a story taking place in a world where other heroes exist, and one where one specific other hero is constantly mentioned and the current crisis is of direct personal interest to him on multiple levels. This is the sort of story that would be a Superman/Superboy/Supergirl/Supermonkey/Power Girl crossover event in the comics: "OH poo poo THERE'S A BUNCH OF KRYPTONIAN TERRORISTS ON EARTH, AND ONE IS DISTANTLY RELATED TO SUPERMAN!"

Either tell the SHOW to shut the gently caress up about Clark, or accept that it's p. weird that he's leaving Kara to deal with something he has like 9 reasons to help with. (Also show MM is probably much weaker than Superman/Supergirl, in order to explain why he's not always saving the day)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just want to say that the best superhero show by a country mile this year was One Punch Man, which is an animated show with a full season now available lots of places (including hulu and here) that features great comedy, amazing rendered fights, and some good meditations on the meaning of being a hero. It also happens to come from Japan.

There are probably better places to talk about it on these forums but I think it should at least be mentioned in a superhero show thread. Give it a shot even if you don't normally like animated shows that come from Japan. Thanks for the time, I'll take my comments off the air. :tipshat:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah it's pretty great. It bucks a lot of trends and is only 12 episodes.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Plus the whole thing is up on Hulu right now, for free, you don't even have to sign in or anything. Just watch it!

(I really, really liked OPM)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I utterly and vocally despise anime but even I liked OPM.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

OPM is like, the anti anime and it is amazing because of it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It is not the anti-anime. It is very much anime.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

It is not the anti-anime. It is very much anime.

It's very anime, but it spends a large amount of time poking fun at anime tropes. That's basically what I meant. It kind of consistently does the opposite of what a typical generic anime would do in a lot of situations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People say that about every anime.

Maybe the generic anime no longer exists.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

who even saved her life once already (though we weren't really allowed to see it.)

That episode was so funny SG regains consciousness and everyone is "Yeah, you got hosed up but no biggie Superman saved the day" :keke: as if they're saying 'we let you have a go but had to bring the adults in.'

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aphrodite posted:

People say that about every anime.

Maybe the generic anime no longer exists.

oh it totally does just no one in the west is watching them

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

oh it totally does just no one in the west is watching them

Is Naruto still a thing?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

Is Naruto still a thing?

No it ended

also I would not call Naruto generic. It had a style to it. Y'all don't know generic if that's what you're thinking of.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

No it ended

also I would not call Naruto generic. It had a style to it. Y'all don't know generic if that's what you're thinking of.

The last I heard, Naruto the anime was still running, though the manga ended (and s spin off is apparently planned.) And the anime for it is pretty generic for action anime, complete with ridiculous escalations of power over the course of the story, massive overly dramatic speeches, and over the top drawn out fights that last forever. The kinds of things OPM specifically sets out to make fun of. Naruto started out pretty amazing, but filler and the studio's desire to drag it out forever to keep making that sweet sweet money pretty much completely ruined it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

No it ended

Well to be fair it's pretty drat boring when the only anime I've ever watched with any interest was Bebop.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doesn't naruto have like a silent cool mysterious guy and a hotheaded guy who's his rival? And the hotheaded guy constantly wins because he believes in himself? That's like the most generic anime thing I can think of.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Best superhero cartoon series? 90s X-Men? 90s Spider-man? Justice league? It's Spider-Woman isn't it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's the 92 Batman cartoon, not even a question.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Fleischer Superman is the best. I also prefer the '90s Superman to Batman. Spectacular Spider-Man is great. All the '90s Marvel cartoons are garbage.

KangWang
Apr 29, 2009

X-O posted:

The Fleischer Superman is the best. I also prefer the '90s Superman to Batman. Spectacular Spider-Man is great. All the '90s Marvel cartoons are garbage.

I liked 90s Spider-Man.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
90's Spider-Man does not hold up in any way. It's not even the best Spider-Man cartoon.

Batman TAS is probably the closest answer you will get to mass agreement. Even ignoring just how drat good the show is it had a massive impact on Batman as a comic series and as a franchise.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blockhouse posted:

Batman TAS is probably the closest answer you will get to mass agreement. Even ignoring just how drat good the show is it had a massive impact on Batman as a comic series and as a franchise.

And on the rest of DC animation too; I think JL/JLU scrapes ahead of BTAS, but it also wouldn't exist without it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

X-O posted:

Exhibit for the defense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiwT-mGEzhE

I leave you in mortal hands :spooky:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

McSpanky posted:

Is that Binary or Firestar hanging out with Johnny?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

I often wonder what a Fleischer era Batman cartoon would have been like. Also I agree on the 90's Marvel stuff. None of it has aged well at all. :(

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

twistedmentat posted:

Is that Binary or Firestar hanging out with Johnny?

Nova. She becomes a herald of Galactus in exchange for sparing Earth like Norrin Radd and Zenn La.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_(Frankie_Raye)

EDIT: Ignore the link. Keeping it because it's kind of funny.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

McSpanky posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the only scene he's in? Like, no build up, no follow up, he's literally just Ghost Rider Deus Ex Machina?