Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes but real world terrain is really boring in game without a lot of tweaking. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

xzzy posted:

Yes but real world terrain is really boring in game without a lot of tweaking. :v:

It's also hard to get hold of good data that sensibly recreates the terrain without making it noisy, which often adds even more required tweaking in the form of smoothing out those kinks with less than optimal tools.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Fasdar posted:

I know everyone has a lot going on, but I thought I'd post this video. I think it really captures what makes this game great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323EkgCySqc

Someone call an ambulance, this man is clearly having a strahk stroke!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

xzzy posted:

That's fair enough, I find it's good to use the real world terrain to create a basic shape and then manually make the cool stuff but maybe that's just me being ocd

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What are some good rules of thumb to future-proof a new city? I always end up boxed in on all sides due to previous (mindless) road- and utility placement*

*Insert you and every city/government planning office ever comment here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just demolish or move anything holding you back. Be brutal and ruthless.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's not uncommon for real cities to include block-wide right of ways and also reserve two blocks on either side of major thoroughfares for future expansion purposes.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

double nine posted:

What are some good rules of thumb to future-proof a new city? I always end up boxed in on all sides due to previous (mindless) road- and utility placement*

*Insert you and every city/government planning office ever comment here.

Space is your friend, and ridiculous land use doesn't actually cost anything. Put stuff as far apart as possible without having roads break the bank.

Also, plan where your backbone will go from the very start and mark out that area with dirt paths or power lines or something so you don't build over it. After that, connect new areas to the backbone and expand outwards away from it more than alongside it. This has the added benefit of making it less likely that you accidentally build in shortcuts that will get gridlocked with trucks, service vehicles, and small cars because everyone thinks it's the quickest route.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It would be really cool for the game to integrate the idea of easements. They already got partway there with their road upgrade feature, which loving owns, but the ability to chop off someone's front yard to make a wider road would be even cooler.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Is there any way to get from a Sketchup model to a C:S-appropriate .fbx file without spending money on Sketchup Pro, 3ds Max, or such programs that cost Real World Moneyİ?

I just want to slap a few car models I found in the warehouse into Skylines, but I can't figure out how to convert them and get them in using only freeware. :(

e: Hell, while I'm asking mod questions, is there any straightforward way of turning a unique ploppable into a growable via the asset editor? There's some neat Art Deco and early 20th century buildings I'd like to add in as growable towers, but I can't figure out how to load up something in the asset editor and change it into a different category.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 21, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Wrt your first question, I believe there's an .fbx exporting plugin for Sketchup but texturing your asset is going to be not great.

3ds Max comes as a three year-long student edition as well. It's what I ended up using. Also Blender is completely free.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I imagine car models out of sketchup would be grossly unoptimized for a tiny car on a tiny street in Skylines.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

mutata posted:

I imagine car models out of sketchup would be grossly unoptimized for a tiny car on a tiny street in Skylines.
I confess, I'm not altogether sure what a good poly count is for vehicles in C:S. I know tris and polygons aren't the same, but usually there's some -ish relationship between the two, right? Would 5000 polys be excessive? 4000? 3000? Are 2400 polys too much for a small building?

There's all sorts of models that I'd love to get into C:S if I just got the right path of freeware conversions figured out.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Seems pretty high. I would say 500-900 triangles max. (Triangles is the count that matters). They need LODs I assume as well, and those should go even lower, down to 50 tris or less. You can get free programs that generate LODs though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ofaloaf posted:

I confess, I'm not altogether sure what a good poly count is for vehicles in C:S. I know tris and polygons aren't the same, but usually there's some -ish relationship between the two, right? Would 5000 polys be excessive? 4000? 3000? Are 2400 polys too much for a small building?

There's all sorts of models that I'd love to get into C:S if I just got the right path of freeware conversions figured out.

From the wiki:

quote:

The model size is not limited other than by Unity's limit of about 65000 vertices per mesh, but even approaching that is too much for single assets. To give some rough guidelines, the triangle count of the building models in the stock game ranges from less than 1000 triangles for the smallest and simplest buildings to about 5000 for large and complex buildings. A few exceptional buildings use up to 10-15k triangles. Vehicles typically have 500-1000 triangles, while trees vary from a few hundred for simple bushes to about 2000 for the more complex ones. Also note that a large number of props can also make the asset rendering slower, which is why there is a limit in the asset editor.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
From modders' testing I've also gathered that keeping texture size in check will greatly depress filesize and probably loading times, higher tri counts are much preferred over a bigger texture map, and having a more sculpted model (ie tris sharing vertices/points) does indeed lead to better performance. The last point kind of clashes with the first two though since long, UV overlapping, and often non-connected geometry makes way better use of texture size than more organic approaches.

CO have also started to exceed the recommended stats in their own wiki; with the patched-in buildings having a ton of tris compared to their tidy texture sizes (IIRC this is a thing especially with the euro ones). It's an approach I've very much tried to emulate with my own assets.

Still, for cars, it should work differently than any super-instantiated skyscraper.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012
The expansion is 6 bucks on Amazon (not sure about folks outside the United States).

Figured I'd mention it since that's cheaper than the Steam sale price.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

The expansion is 6 bucks on Amazon (not sure about folks outside the United States).

Thanks, for the notice!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think i might buy this game tonight

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

Dumb question here but I'm assuming that if you get the dlc off Amazon it can still be added to steam, yes?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Quick question: can laptop with 2.7 ghz CPU speed handle this game okay?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Dumb question here but I'm assuming that if you get the dlc off Amazon it can still be added to steam, yes?

Yes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Quick question: can a 2.7 ghz laptop handle this?

Almost certainly, I run it maxed out on a not that powerful PC so a decent laptop could easily run it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Quick question: can laptop with 2.7 ghz CPU speed handle this game okay?

You can get it to run even on fairly modest hardware. It'll more be a question of what your upper limit for city size is (and how fast the simulation can run at that size), and how hard your CPU fan will have to work to keep up. You probably won't be running any 200k-cim megacities on that thing, but you'll probably get past the final population tier well enough.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks! And merry christmas!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any buzz about what the next DLC will be?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any buzz about what the next DLC will be?

I have no idea, but I would hope it includes trams, that crucially are able to share the road with regular traffic.

Some tweaking to make sims actually use regional trains would also be great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Trams/cable cars would be pretty boss and would actually get me to use forms of transportation other than cars, as opposed to now where I basically never bother with buses, subways, et cetera.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Is there a mod that sets certain stations/routes to use a specific train? My airport people mover should not be my high speed commuter rail.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Eskaton posted:

Is there a mod that sets certain stations/routes to use a specific train? My airport people mover should not be my high speed commuter rail.

Advanced Vehicle Options: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=442167376

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I use trains as above-ground metros and have no issues in them being jam packed by cims. YMMV.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Vahakyla posted:

I use trains as above-ground metros and have no issues in them being jam packed by cims. YMMV.

I like trains because I can ride them around. :)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The town is divided, leading into traffic congestions. Traffic is focused on a single roundabout that absorbs the heavy traffic between the agrarian district and the generic Old Town.

My solution so far has been to make everything four lanes, or six lanes. Cash flow is negative, will figure out as Christmas develops.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The solution is adding more roads, more roads until either roadpain goes away or there is no space for more roads.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Problem solved: turns out my highway was pointing in the wrong direction, so a ton of traffic was diverted.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Problem solved: turns out my highway was pointing in the wrong direction, so a ton of traffic was diverted.
I wonder how often that happens in real life.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Poil posted:

I wonder how often that happens in real life.

Oh you know, sorta here or there. gently caress people for living where they live and all that. Those filthy poors ought to know better anyways, after all can't they afford mediums?

Edit: Disregard the overly angry... Whatever that was. Sorry.

Relevant content: Are traffic agents completely distance based? That is a vehicle will only take the shortest distance to a destination ignoring road types?

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 26, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My first mega-project response to relatively minor traffic problems: a gently caress-off budget-obliterating highway ramp across the whole city. One slum razed and the GDP of an African nation spent.

There is now less congestion in the Prospects district.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fabulousity posted:

Oh you know, sorta here or there. gently caress people for living where they live and all that. Those filthy poors ought to know better anyways, after all can't they afford mediums?

That's... not really what that post was about at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Fabulousity posted:

Woh poo poo, hit a soft spot. Whats it have to do with having a section of the highway directing traffic backwards?