Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TIE Fighter doesn't involve force powers though.

It does have Thrawn in it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm sorry, the only way I can believe that Rey could defeat kylo is if she had spent a few months in the wintery hills of that starkiller base and did workout sessions with common farm equipment while listening to very cheesy music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q57qB6Kwroo

This movie failed to live up to my very realistic expectations.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Is the Kotor Android port any good? I never got very far in it on the PC, but it seems like it would be fun to have on my tablet.

I found it basically impossible to do the shooty minigame so gave up after that, but that was on a phone rather than a tablet. Otherwise it was good.

TIE Fighter was good and all, but I actually wanted them to cancel Ep 3 and make a KOTOR movie instead because I loved it so fierce (and still do)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I wouldn't say protomass effect - it's literally d20 like dungeons and dragons.

As far as the rolls go with battles as opposed to Mass Effect replacing it with the cover gameplay, but every other part of the engine is basically what evolved into ME. The choice branching is also very similar to the first ME. Someone that lieks one typically lieks the other to a degree for that reason (outside of plot-first people).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

G-III posted:

I'm sorry, the only way I can believe that Rey could defeat kylo is if she had spent a few months in the wintery hills of that starkiller base and did workout sessions with common farm equipment while listening to very cheesy music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q57qB6Kwroo

This movie failed to live up to my very realistic expectations.

Episode VIII can have a training montage jumping between Luke/Rey and Snoke/Kylo

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

hobbesmaster posted:

Force powers ruined peoples comprehension of the force tho.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Minorkos posted:

I love how this thread is 50% people saying "This thing in this movie wasn't very good" and the remaining 50% saying "You're wrong. Do you really need that thing in this movie? Jesus christ you're a nerd. just turn off your brain bro."

I think it's a bit closer to 50% of the people saying "I didn't like thing about this movie" and the other 50% is "I'm an expert on thing, let me tell you why thing is good and why you're retarded for thinking so".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I would've also liked to have seen a little more Rey's foreknowledge of/inspiration to use the mind trick, like maybe if she told stormtrooper James Bond some of the raised-from-birth stuff Finn had told her earlier in the course of instinctively reaching into his head or something.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It was an amazing movie. Not without flaws, definitely, but you can tell most of them were a result of calculated trade-offs. In fact the only flaw that was just oversight on the writers' part is Leia hugging Rey instead of Chewbacca at the end.

I bet the extended edition will have deleted scenes that will give more context to certain stuff.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Dubplate Fire posted:

Force powers ruined peoples comprehension of the force tho.

I agree with this. I remember playing jedi knight 1 as like a 10 year old, I saw how they neatly categorized the "dark powers" and the "light powers" and i was like EHHH, this is more clinical than how the movies explained it. That's why I love Rey's force dream so much, it brought the force back as this crazy sentient unmeasurable magical thing , that's unique from all the other comparable energy forces like ki(or more specifically DBZ's obnoxious need to systemize it and assign loving numbers to it while also saying that your strength can be limitless at the same time).

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 24, 2015

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Here's what I'm wondering: who are the Knights of Ren?

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder

enraged_camel posted:

It was an amazing movie. Not without flaws, definitely, but you can tell most of them were a result of calculated trade-offs. In fact the only flaw that was just oversight on the writers' part is Leia hugging Rey instead of Chewbacca at the end.

I bet the extended edition will have deleted scenes that will give more context to certain stuff.

I liked that she hugged Rey because that was the first time that they met

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Chill Penguin posted:

It's kylo's band. They mostly cover my chemical romance but they're working on an original EP

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Bukowski posted:

I liked that she hugged Rey because that was the first time that they met

Do you really believe that?

Edit: Han is trying to get rid of her and Finn right up until he asks her name. She says Rey. The camera zooms in on his face, he looks like 'oh gently caress here we go again' and he invites her to work with him and gives her a blaster. Then immediately after its implied that he tells Maz her story and then Maz wants her to take the lightsaber and to find her parents.

Dubplate Fire fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 24, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Han/Leia have no dialog in the film that hints they have another kid though, and with how open the film was about Ben I'd expect at least a throw-away line about a daughter or sibling or something. Since there is nothing I'm really inclined to rule them out as her parents. Maybe Leia just isn't a bitch for that scene? Rey is standing all alone looking lost, the only people she knows in the scene are Finn and Chewie and Chewie is rushing Finn to get medical attention. So Leia being compassionate to someone else really made sense to me.

A lot of the arguing isn't "I didn't like this about the movie" versus "Let me tell you why you should", it is "I didn't like this because it wasn't supported and out of the blue" versus "actually it is telegraphed pretty hard but apparently you missed it". Perfect example is every person who was flabbergasted that Rey beat Ren at the end, there is no way some untrained girl should have beat this sith guy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leia's ring had two stones.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Avalanche posted:

How this movie really delivers:

1) Makes old nerds angry about a bunch of stupid poo poo no one gives a gently caress about unless you are a stupid nerd and are pissed the movie wasn't a video encyclopedia justifying every stupid little detail that has absolutely no baring on character development.

2) Angry old nerds are realizing they are no longer the target demographic and this just makes them older and angrier. There are no late 30s-40s characters in the film so no LARPING to be had.

2) Kids like it and so do people that are capable of suspending disbelief for a space opera that is barely sci-fi. So the franchise will continue and probably in a very good direction.

Is the episode 8 script even written yet? Here's a thought: maybe all the ambiguity with the characters is due to no one thinking about where to take the characters and plot quite yet.

What's funny is that I am a turbo nerd and I loving loved it and I am so happy that we're going to get more Star Wars movies and games and everything else. I'm starting to think that self-described nerds who are so cynical that they nitpick and hate everything are just ugly weird people who are de-facto nerds because who the gently caress else will tolerate them.

Also, supposedly the Ep. 8 script is written and is apparently so good that Abrams wishes he was directing - but that might just be studio hype talking.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The only opinion on the force I care about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yURRmWtbTbo

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Chill Penguin posted:

I'm thinking they're Luke's former apprentices. I think "Ren" is the new "Darth", a surname rather than a salutation.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

Han/Leia have no dialog in the film that hints they have another kid though, and with how open the film was about Ben I'd expect at least a throw-away line about a daughter or sibling or something. Since there is nothing I'm really inclined to rule them out as her parents. Maybe Leia just isn't a bitch for that scene? Rey is standing all alone looking lost, the only people she knows in the scene are Finn and Chewie and Chewie is rushing Finn to get medical attention. So Leia being compassionate to someone else really made sense to me.

A lot of the arguing isn't "I didn't like this about the movie" versus "Let me tell you why you should", it is "I didn't like this because it wasn't supported and out of the blue" versus "actually it is telegraphed pretty hard but apparently you missed it". Perfect example is every person who was flabbergasted that Rey beat Ren at the end, there is no way some untrained girl should have beat this sith guy.

Yeah its lukes kid.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Some leaving aside people dumb misinterpretations of fundamental concepts of Star Wars aside, I was thinking about the First Orders name and that fact that they went looking for the Source of the Dark Side or whatever. Maybe they were looking for the First Order of Dark Side users, before Jedi and Sith became structured religious orders. Then they dug up ol Space Mummy Snoke to be their Dear Leader.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Dubplate Fire posted:

Do you really believe that?

Edit: Han is trying to get rid of her and Finn right up until he asks her name. She says Rey. The camera zooms in on his face, he looks like 'oh gently caress here we go again' and he invites her to work with him and gives her a blaster. Then immediately after its implied that he tells Maz her story and then Maz wants her to take the lightsaber and to find her parents.

That's not what happened. He becomes impressed with her after she demonstrates knowledge of engineering, piloting, and her brazen attitude. Later on with Leia embracing. her- leia knew Han saw potential in her, and they both suffered a loss in his death.

You could have a theory that they know her, but at no point in the film is there enough evidence to definitively prove it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Remember in ESB when Luke pulls his lightsaber with the force at the beginning before he ever meets Yoda? How did he know he could do that? My immersion, totally ruined.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, second viewing, must say IMAX 3D has some definite improvements compared to 2D. In answer to some of the nitpicking here, actually did notice on this watch that Poe took his jacket off when he hopped in the TIE fighter (hence how he could eject or whatever and leave it behind) and the whole Leia hugs Rey not Chewbacca thing looks like it's because Chewbacca is too busy following along with the medics taking care of Finn (you can see him walk right past Leia himself), which is rather touching in light of Finn taking care of Chewie earlier. Speaking of Finn, I also caught this time that he didn't turn back when leaving Maz's place because of Rey or Han but because he saw Starkiller Base fire (he ran back to Han and only then noticed Rey was gone) and unlike the trailer, when he engaged Kylo Ren he didn't hesitate or freak out at all. Taking the guy who was running in terror from the First Order and having him finish the film charging one of the embodiments of said Order's fear and power is a nice character arc; and here I though I couldn't like Finn MORE. Think I'm more interested to see what happens to him instead of Rey next film. Bonus points if they build on the Poe-mance from this one of course (Poe was also chasing after the medics at the end too I noticed).

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

What's funny is that I am a turbo nerd and I loving loved it and I am so happy that we're going to get more Star Wars movies and games and everything else. I'm starting to think that self-described nerds who are so cynical that they nitpick and hate everything are just ugly weird people who are de-facto nerds because who the gently caress else will tolerate them.

Also, supposedly the Ep. 8 script is written and is apparently so good that Abrams wishes he was directing - but that might just be studio hype talking.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Megasabin posted:

That's not what happened. He becomes impressed with her after she demonstrates knowledge of engineering, piloting, and her brazen attitude. Later on with Leia embracing. her- leia knew Han saw potential in her, and they both suffered a loss in his death.

You could have a theory that they know her, but at no point in the film is there enough evidence to definitively prove it.

Watch his face when she says her name. I mean I could be wrong. But as soon as I saw that I was like that's lukes daughter.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hobbesmaster posted:

Speaking of TIE Fighter, Poe totally name drops 'mag pulse.'

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Rey, a character familiar with the heroes of the original trilogy and their famous adventures, would definitely have no idea what a Jedi mind trick is or that it's something she should try after she realizes she's attuned to the Force.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I skipped five pages and people are still arguing about Rey using the Force?

Here, be distracted by ravetrooper:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What else is there to argue about?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So do we think Finn and Rey will do a kissing in the next one or will Finn kiss Poe or will Rey kiss Maz?

There wasn't enough kissing in this Star Wars movie.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rey will be a celibate monk like Luke so get ready for Poe/Finn in episode VIII!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Along with the Raid dudes what the gently caress was the point of Phasma? Do I have to wait until the sequels or some retarded poo poo? Abrams is bad and this movie is not that good. The scale, scope and events of the prequels were more impressive and grandoise than this.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
She is the new Boba Fett.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
She was Finn's rear end in a top hat boss and he got to talk poo poo to her and throw her in a trash can.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gatts posted:

Along with the Raid dudes what the gently caress was the point of Phasma? Do I have to wait until the sequels or some retarded poo poo? Abrams is bad and this movie is not that good. The scale, scope and events of the prequels were more impressive and grandoise than this.

The Raid guys were a cameo. Phasma may have been a minor role (comparable to Boba Fett or Tarkin), or she may be expanded later. Who knows/cares?

Also if you only want scale and scope go watch a Roland Emmerich movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

What else is there to argue about?

The prequels are better than Tfa but less entertaining.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

euphronius posted:

The prequels are better than Tfa but less entertaining.

Nah they're pretty poo poo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
An argument!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So who is everyone's favourite droid? My favourite droid is the one that gets torn apart at Jabba's palace for no discernible reason.

• Locked thread