Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I'm looking to go back to school for graphic design or something in video. I might be moving across the country in the next couple years so the associate's I had planned to start with from the local community college looks like a no go. Its accreditation is regional so I assume I'd have to start over completely.

Are there any actually good online schools for creative degrees? It seems loving impossible to search for. I almost got roped into Art Institute Online last year before actually looking them up and seeing poo poo like some classes not even having an instructor just a textbook, assignments and peer critique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm not aware of any that folks in the industry take seriously. The Art Institute is generally perceived to be a degree mill and I've never seen someone come out of there with a worthwhile portfolio. You'd probably be better off working on your own or waiting and finding a good school where you're moving.

You could also ask the community college how their credits have transferred in the past. I'd be surprised if you couldn't transfer them.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

FadedReality posted:

I might be moving across the country in the next couple years so the associate's I had planned to start with from the local community college looks like a no go. Its accreditation is regional so I assume I'd have to start over completely.

Regional accreditation is the type of accreditation that real schools use (Harvard is regionally accredited, for example) and I don't imagine you'd have much trouble transferring credits between community colleges. The problem with credit transfer usually happens when you try to transfer credits from a for-profit degree mill/career college (usually nationally accredited, though some for-profit schools have obtained regional accreditation) to an actual university.

As for online art programs, I can't begin to imagine how that would be worth anyone's time or money. Having gone to design school, I can say that having face-to-face interaction with both your professors and your peers is extremely important. It's just one of those fields that doesn't really translate well to an online environment. Even if you can't find a full-blown program where you're going, taking some local classes or finding a MeetUp thingy with other designers would probably be a much better use of your time.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
drat, didn't know that about the regional accreditation. Yeah the idea that the only people critiquing my work would be other brand new know nothings all while paying a shitload of money for the privilege boggled my mind. I think I'll go forward with the community college then. I've taken random classes there in the past and tuition is super cheap and the teachers were good. Thanks goons! :glomp:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I am about to quit my current job.

It doesn't pay well enough, it's highly stressful, and my opportunities to move up in it have basically come to a dead end. I'm leaving. Unfortunately my search for a replacement job has only turned up openings that are worse. So I thought of something else.

While I look for other work (employed or freelancing) I want to start a Patreon for my online comics and art. I might even be able to do art full time, if it becomes popular enough. Anyone have any advice on making the Patreon model most effective, or even sustainable?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Do you have a lot of Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr followers etc. already? Because I don't think Patreon does anything for anyone who isn't already established with their audience.

Patreon is an amazing thing, but like there rest of the Internet, it has a tail a zillion miles long. Patreon doesn't make discovery easy. In fact, I'm pretty convinced that they make it hard to see how much is on the site on purpose. There are thousands and thousands of people on Patreon with 0-3 patrons and who are making no money --- and their artwork is good!

Patreon is "bring your own audience." Figure out how to build that audience first or the Patreon you set up will be extremely sad.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

neonnoodle posted:

Patreon is "bring your own audience." Figure out how to build that audience first or the Patreon you set up will be extremely sad.

I have a pretty good following right now. I wouldn't call it huge, but it's there and fairly loyal. I have a list of repeat customers for commissions, a couple thousand followers on Tumblr, a few hundred on Twitter, about a thousand regular viewers to my comic site. Of course only a tiny fraction of those people might give to the Patreon, but I can do my best to drum up support, create good reactions, and help that audience grow in both size and loyalty. And since I won't be tied down by a time-consuming job that drives me insane, I imagine that'll get a lot easier.

I'm prepared to be Extremely Sad the first couple of months, at least. I don't expect to make a living wage at this overnight - hence, looking for additional work in the meantime.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

yehdawg posted:

After going to college and getting a degree that I regret deeply, I want to focus on building a career in videography. I'm currently building up a youtube channel with a buddy of mine and shooting with DSLRs, but I'm not sure of how people make this their job. How do I make a living making videos?

"Videography" is kind of vague. What do you see yourself shooting? Weddings? Industrials? Do you want to run your own company and find your own clients? Work primarily as crew?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Has anyone had experience being the only person in their grad school cohort?

My girlfriend got into a smaller private university that offered her a graduate assistantship and a good financial aid package. When she got in, we thought we were making the right decision financially and academically. She was told her composition graduate class would be between 5 and 10 people and when she went in for orientation today, she found out she was the only person in her class.

She is heartbroken and worried that she's made a terrible mistake professionally and academically. She wants to get a PhD eventually and has already had scores that have been performed and is a brilliant New Music composer. I'm feeling like it is almost an advantage, since she'll get to pick who performs her pieces from all of the performance graduate students and she'll have opportunities to get to know the faculty. We are in a good area for contemporary music composition, I just want to make her feel better about what's going on.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

My wife is getting a graduate degree in music performance. I can tell you that your reputation is based on who your professor is and what festivals / orchestras you have played in. Professionally, no one will care who else is in her class, and from what I understand, that concentration is usually pretty small, even at large universities. As long as her professor is really teaching her new things and opening doors for her, it's a good move.

Plus, as you said, she won't have anyone to compete against when getting people to play her compositions, so she'll get to know the performance majors really well.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 29, 2015

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
So, there's no such thing as a Bachelor's in Concept Art and as far as I'm aware, Germany doesn't even do plain old Illustration degrees outside of a handful of schools--it's Fine Art or nothing.

Those in mind, if I'm considering a career as a concept artist (also freelance illustrator, comic artist and general drawer of things for money) and I live in Germany, where should I (or could I) get a degree? Is it even necessary to get a degree?

I would rather not do a Fine Art degree.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
You don't need a degree. Just crank out stuff for your portfolio. Use Gnomon Workshop, Feng Zhu videos, Schoolism, Scott Robertson.

Unfortunately the "concept art" universe is kind of troubled at the moment. There are too many artists and not enough jobs. The deadlines are so tight that lots of people complain about over reliance on photobashing and 3D paint overs, or just outright 3D instead of hand drawn concept design.

Proceed with caution.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What industry do you want to work in as a concept artist? Art positions in general are dozens or hundreds of applicants per position, nevermind concept art positions. I've had friends in America with years of professional experience get laid off and unable to find a position for 2+ years. Obviously there are a ton of people out there who work as concept artists, but why do you want to, where do you want to work, and most importantly, what are you gonna do to make it so one of those positions goes to you specifically instead of the other 200 people behind you?

Those are more important questions than "should I get a fine arts degree" the answer to which is "can you afford it?" You're in Germany, so I'm not sure how affordable art school is for you. It might be great in which case I say go for it, it'll give you some time to research the industry(s) and get a feel for if you even like concept art work. An affordable degree is fine and can be an asset if/when you have to turn down unexpected roads in your career. If it's pricey then it becomes more of a gamble especially if in order for your gamble to pay off you're counting on a concept art position to come along at the end of it.

I'm all for education, especially if it's affordable. I think it keeps a lot more doors open then some people think.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

neonnoodle posted:

You don't need a degree. Just crank out stuff for your portfolio. Use Gnomon Workshop, Feng Zhu videos, Schoolism, Scott Robertson.

Ah, cheers. I hadn't heard of any of those bar Gnomon.

neonnoodle posted:

Unfortunately the "concept art" universe is kind of troubled at the moment. There are too many artists and not enough jobs. The deadlines are so tight that lots of people complain about over reliance on photobashing and 3D paint overs, or just outright 3D instead of hand drawn concept design.

Proceed with caution.

Ugh. :( That's a pity, but it's unlikely to stay that way for years on end, right? Or would it be wiser to look into a less saturated art field?

mutata posted:

What industry do you want to work in as a concept artist? Art positions in general are dozens or hundreds of applicants per position, nevermind concept art positions. I've had friends in America with years of professional experience get laid off and unable to find a position for 2+ years. Obviously there are a ton of people out there who work as concept artists, but why do you want to, where do you want to work, and most importantly, what are you gonna do to make it so one of those positions goes to you specifically instead of the other 200 people behind you?

Those are more important questions than "should I get a fine arts degree" the answer to which is "can you afford it?" You're in Germany, so I'm not sure how affordable art school is for you. It might be great in which case I say go for it, it'll give you some time to research the industry(s) and get a feel for if you even like concept art work. An affordable degree is fine and can be an asset if/when you have to turn down unexpected roads in your career. If it's pricey then it becomes more of a gamble especially if in order for your gamble to pay off you're counting on a concept art position to come along at the end of it.

I'm all for education, especially if it's affordable. I think it keeps a lot more doors open then some people think.

Animation or game design would be ideal.

Education in Germany is free. :v: I wouldn't consider art school otherwise, especially since my mother is an artist and I've seen how bullshit art education can be.

Mostly, after a STEM career fell through irrepairably, I am looking into following my other passion, which is art. But getting an actual job drawing comics (the crux of what I want to do) is unlikely and illustration alone isn't enough to interest me.

However, concept art, especially character design, is something I would love to do even if a) I find it challenging right now b) I would never earn a cent for doing it. So that's what I'm looking to work on honing.

As to what I'd bring to it to stand out? Working hard to not be generic, I suppose. I'm unique, just like everyone else, but specifically: I'm an immigrant, raised between two cultures. That's got to be worth something, especially as the aesthetics of my Old Country are different to the West's.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Crossposting from BFC.

My wife is needing advice on landing a graphic design job. She has an associates degree in graphic design from a community college. She also has a BS and an MS in Geology but has obviously chosen a different career path. She earned the associates this past May and has been working as a Graphic Artist. The job requires zero creativity (she basically just does technical work in Illustrator). She wants a job that really lets her use her creative skills.

We live in Kansas City, so I know there will be some opportunities. She has a strong online portfolio. The biggest hurdle is likely her lack of a BA in the field. How big of a liability will this be? Any advice you guys can give her that might help her land the kind of job she's looking for?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

caiman posted:

Crossposting from BFC.

My wife is needing advice on landing a graphic design job. She has an associates degree in graphic design from a community college. She also has a BS and an MS in Geology but has obviously chosen a different career path. She earned the associates this past May and has been working as a Graphic Artist. The job requires zero creativity (she basically just does technical work in Illustrator). She wants a job that really lets her use her creative skills.

We live in Kansas City, so I know there will be some opportunities. She has a strong online portfolio. The biggest hurdle is likely her lack of a BA in the field. How big of a liability will this be? Any advice you guys can give her that might help her land the kind of job she's looking for?

I understand the frustration, but she HAS a graphic design job. Like, lots of people would kill to have a job where they can actually use their Illustrator skills to do technical work. That's what the majority of graphic design jobs are like.

If she wants a more fulfilling job, the lack of a BA isn't going to be the issue. Portfolio is what anyone/everyone cares about, and portfolio competition is intense.

What type of work would she prefer to be doing?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

neonnoodle posted:

What type of work would she prefer to be doing?

One where she's a part of the creative process. Where she gets to use her layout and design skills, not just her Pen Tool skills.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

neonnoodle posted:

I understand the frustration, but she HAS a graphic design job. Like, lots of people would kill to have a job where they can actually use their Illustrator skills to do technical work. That's what the majority of graphic design jobs are like.

Graphic Design is typically aligned with the more creative side of things (logo design, web design, etc)... what's she's doing sounds like technical illustration which is a thing in and of itself and not considered graphic design by most people.

Caiman: The only thing that matters is her portfolio to be honest. I mean some higher up positions have experience requirements and even entry level jobs will SAY they have an experience requirement, but any good agency is going to recognize talent and want to snatch it up. I work at an ad agency and the experience requirement is almost always boilerplate unless it's for higher up stuff.

edit: Also Agency environments are very people based so interviews are HUGE impression makers. You need to be personable, dress appropriately and all that jazz. Be nice, firm handshake, speak confidently. All of your usual interview advice. Fake or not (usually fake) most creative places love to think of themselves as cultural and people hubs and want to hire someone they think reflects that.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 29, 2015

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

BonoMan posted:

Graphic Design is typically aligned with the more creative side of things (logo design, web design, etc)... what's she's doing sounds like technical illustration which is a thing in and of itself and not considered graphic design by most people.
Of course, right, sorry -- what I meant was, for most graphic design people, the full-time jobs that are available are usually more technical than designy. Genuine full-time graphic design gigs are extremely hard to get. It's common for people with graphic design qualifications to end up doing more gruntwork than design.

caiman posted:

One where she's a part of the creative process. Where she gets to use her layout and design skills, not just her Pen Tool skills.

But for what? Web design? Product design? Industrial design? Designing wedding invitations? Signs/logos? What are the sorts of things she likes to do as passion projects or portfolio pieces?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

neonnoodle posted:

But for what? Web design? Product design? Industrial design? Designing wedding invitations? Signs/logos? What are the sorts of things she likes to do as passion projects or portfolio pieces?

Product design, logos, illustration, type, page layout. A little web, though she doesn't code. She's also a good watercolorist, but I don't know how much that skill translates into graphic design.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

caiman posted:

Crossposting from BFC.

In addition to what BonoMan wrote (which is all 100% spot on), she needs to work on self initiated projects. She's not going to get a great job without a great portfolio, and it sounds like she's not going to be able to fill her portfolio with awesome work in her current gig. She should pick imaginary (or real) businesses/organizations, rebrand them and design an entire package for them (stationery, website, interiors, signage, etc). Or if that's not the type of design work she wants to do, pick whatever she would prefer to do and do that.

Your degree really doesn't matter. I have a BA in psychology and studio art and I'm a web designer/developer. :shrug: The things you need to get an entry level job at a great creative agency are, in order:

• A rockstar portfolio
• A good personality that meshes with others in the agency
• Work ethic
• Passion for design
• The ability to write and speak coherently with clients
• A degree

caiman posted:

She's also a good watercolorist, but I don't know how much that skill translates into graphic design.

This gives her a huge leg up over other potential candidates and is something she should highlight. Especially if she can use it in some of her graphic design projects.

e: Also this is more general career than design-specific advice, but have her pick out the top five places she'd like to work and research them thoroughly. If they're agencies, she should look at every single piece of work in their portfolio, follow them on Twitter, read their blog, etc. She should be able to identify their aesthetic and tailor her portfolio to match it as closely as possible while also tossing in a few extra pieces to show her range. She should know the names of all the head creatives who work there and a little bit of their history (designers are all egotistical and this will go a long way in an interview). She should have a favorite project from their portfolio and should know which typefaces they used in said project.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 30, 2015

JumboJetDreams
Jun 3, 2008
Took a while off from school after high school but I recently started back at community college for graphic design. The program here is less than stellar and I"m considering moving to Seattle in a year to go to a better school (and I'd rather live there than Florida).

School recommendations in the Seattle/Bellevue area?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

JumboJetDreams posted:

Took a while off from school after high school but I recently started back at community college for graphic design. The program here is less than stellar and I"m considering moving to Seattle in a year to go to a better school (and I'd rather live there than Florida).

I moved to Seattle almost 5 years ago to go to the University of Washington and graduated this year with a degree in Interaction Design. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. UW isn't just one of the best universities in the USA, public or private, it's one of the best universities in the entire world. Their design school is world-class as well, and very highly regarded among the professional community here. I landed an amazing job before I even graduated thanks to a summer internship, and my bosses consistently mention how much better the UW candidates they interview are compared to most others. I'm not even exaggerating.

If you come into UW as a transfer student, there are two ways to get into the design program - you either ace the Design 166 class with a 3.7 grade or above, or you submit an application and go through a day-long "workshop" intended to gauge your talent and passion for design. Admission rates are something like 25% so it's very competitive, but you do not need to be some kind of design wunderkind to get in. Really they just weed out the lazy and unmotivated so that only people truly interested in design make it.

Aside from UW I have heard some good things about Cornish and Western Washington University, but I don't know much about them. They're both private universities, which means they're expensive and probably not worth the extra expense. Whatever you do, absolutely steer clear of poo poo like the "Art Institute" or other such shady for-profit schools. You will pay a lot of money, learn virtually nothing, and come out of it with a worthless degree.

Finally, there are a ton of great community colleges in and around Seattle, such that you could easily attend one no matter where you settle down. They're all virtually identical as far as I know, in fact they all have transfer agreements with each other and UW so that almost every single class transfers into every other school and vice versa. I went to Seattle Central Community College for a few quarters and the classes were just fine and UW accepted the credits without hesitation.

Last bit of advice: if you end up deciding to move to Seattle for school, do so sooner rather than later. Out-of-state tuition rates are crazy high compared to in-state rates, and it takes a full year living in Washington without going to school to establish bona-fide residency. What I ended up doing was moving to Seattle, chilled for a year working an easy job to pay the bills, and then got into UW as a Washington state resident. Tuition was way less, and I got such generous financial aid that you wouldn't even believe.

PM me if you want more info!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Anony Mouse posted:

Finally, there are a ton of great community colleges in and around Seattle, such that you could easily attend one no matter where you settle down. They're all virtually identical as far as I know, in fact they all have transfer agreements with each other and UW so that almost every single class transfers into every other school and vice versa. I went to Seattle Central Community College for a few quarters and the classes were just fine and UW accepted the credits without hesitation.

Last bit of advice: if you end up deciding to move to Seattle for school, do so sooner rather than later. Out-of-state tuition rates are crazy high compared to in-state rates, and it takes a full year living in Washington without going to school to establish bona-fide residency. What I ended up doing was moving to Seattle, chilled for a year working an easy job to pay the bills, and then got into UW as a Washington state resident. Tuition was way less, and I got such generous financial aid that you wouldn't even believe.

PM me if you want more info!

One thing I'd add if you are planning to take a few community college courses, if you live in an area with multiple schools like Seattle, that means you have multiple instructors available to teach you and lots more choice. Take advantage of that. Look potential instructors up, check out their portfolios. Ask around in art communities or at schools about instructors and what their classes are like,etc. Instructors have different skill levels, different styles of teaching (and often times different styles of art that they might push you towards which isn't always a bad thing) and it's best to find someone who will help you with your particular goals.

Travel time is a factor but a really good instructor is worth a longer drive and a bit more hassle if you can manage it. Because getting good instruction is really helpful, and if you hunt around enough you can usually find instructors who are on par (and sometimes even better) than the ones at the four year school.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 19, 2015

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

MY WILL IS THE CHEESE CLUB
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CHEESE

caiman posted:

She may want to look into graphic facilitation or graphic recording. It sounds like it would use a large chunk of her skill set. A lot of people who do graphic recording also tend to get a ton freelance work doing various kinds of graphic design as well.

JumboJetDreams posted:

Lake Washington Tech in Kirkland (the next town over from Bellevue) offers a BA in graphic design. It's also a super competitive program, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. If you decide to apply there, one major thing they don't mention but I've been told by their dean is that your portfolio needs to include several things showing your process of designing something from start to finish.

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare

neonnoodle posted:

Proceed with caution.

could you elaborate on this? I mean it's pretty straightforward but I was wondering what the indicators are. I'm going to art center for entertainment design, people seem pretty optimistic there.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
So looking to invest in writing courses, don't want to go the full-fledged college route just yet, but Second City/iO Chicago are within commuting range.

Anyone have experience with these avenues? Would be going with their screenwriting courses specifically.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

So looking to invest in writing courses, don't want to go the full-fledged college route just yet, but Second City/iO Chicago are within commuting range.

Anyone have experience with these avenues? Would be going with their screenwriting courses specifically.

I did a year at Second City Hollywood (and will eventually continue, credit willing), and I'd heartily recommend it. iO is very similar, as I understand it. Your choice will depend on what you think of the Harold, an overarching structure they stress heavily. Second City did a lot of improv-gamey stuff at the start. I have no experience with their writing program, but it seemed legit.

Shinneh
Dec 24, 2015
I want to be a filmmaker, but im going to take a degree in computer science so i can pay the bills while i try to make it, should i just quit com sci completely and go all in on film?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Shinneh posted:

I want to be a filmmaker, but im going to take a degree in computer science so i can pay the bills while i try to make it, should i just quit com sci completely and go all in on film?

Well first off, do you like Computer Science at all? I know you plan for it to be temporary but if you had to make a career out of it, would you enjoy the work or be miserable? Also how passionate are you about film, and have you studied the industry ways to get in it and all the kinds of jobs, etc?

There might be a way for you to use the computer science to benefit your filmmaking, such as making plug-ins for software or pipeline tools (that's also a pretty lucrative skillset especially if you are good at designing stuff for 3D tools). Nice thing about programming is that it is pretty useful for a lot of fields though you wouldn't necessarily be making films.

As far as pursuing art and engineering at the same time goes, I've done it (with visual Art, not film making) and I can tell you that doing so is going to take all of your time if you want to be any good at either. There's no substitute for hours of practice for either discipline and just putting the time in. So if you are okay with that and have a high passion for both fields then it's probably worth doing both? If you don't have any passion for computer science at all though then it might be worth investigating a different fallback.

Whether or not you should plan a fallback I dont know for filmmaking. For 2D art painting/illustration its a pretty risky move. It takes a long time to build up skills and a long time to be out there and build up enough recognition to make a livable wage and even then it's probably more money to teach. If filmmaking is similar then you should keep that stuff in mind. But if you know you want to do film making more than anything else in the world it might be worth the risks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shinneh posted:

This is hard to answer without seeing any work to know what level you're on, but I will say that every single successful filmmaker friend I have (in various aspects of the industry from full on director or producer down to G&E) has been successful by going whole hog into it. Not a single person I know trying to make it "on the side" has been able to do it. Filmmaking is a lifestyle and all consuming industry. If you can't go all in then I'd bet on doing something else with the rest of your life.

Shinneh
Dec 24, 2015

JuniperCake posted:

Well first off, do you like Computer Science at all? I know you plan for it to be temporary but if you had to make a career out of it, would you enjoy the work or be miserable? Also how passionate are you about film, and have you studied the industry ways to get in it and all the kinds of jobs, etc?

There might be a way for you to use the computer science to benefit your filmmaking, such as making plug-ins for software or pipeline tools (that's also a pretty lucrative skillset especially if you are good at designing stuff for 3D tools). Nice thing about programming is that it is pretty useful for a lot of fields though you wouldn't necessarily be making films.

As far as pursuing art and engineering at the same time goes, I've done it (with visual Art, not film making) and I can tell you that doing so is going to take all of your time if you want to be any good at either. There's no substitute for hours of practice for either discipline and just putting the time in. So if you are okay with that and have a high passion for both fields then it's probably worth doing both? If you don't have any passion for computer science at all though then it might be worth investigating a different fallback.

Whether or not you should plan a fallback I dont know for filmmaking. For 2D art painting/illustration its a pretty risky move. It takes a long time to build up skills and a long time to be out there and build up enough recognition to make a livable wage and even then it's probably more money to teach. If filmmaking is similar then you should keep that stuff in mind. But if you know you want to do film making more than anything else in the world it might be worth the risks.

I have been studying and working on films for the better part of 5 years, I can go on about film form and the industry for awhile, and just got into com sci recently. I really enjoyed math & technology in school and often did it when i get burnt out on films. I would enjoy doing it, but i definitely would be miserable if i never became a filmmaker.

Thats actually a great idea that im going to look into, people always reccomend VFX which i hate, but plug ins for software migth actually be something i like.

I do love programming alot, and one of the reasons im not so up for a film degree is that, com sci is very systematic and can be done at almost anytime, filmmaking requires time and inspiration, i dont like being forced to make something i dont want to make (getting paid is the exception of course). I definitely would spend alot of time on film, but i dont want any pressure if i take a day off to clear my head, know what i mean?

I do know what i want to do and have studied how alot of people in that position got there (studio directing). I dont really look as com sci as a fallback (well sorta), but more of something that can get me good money while i work on film, because like i said, id be pretty depressed if im not making films when im older. Also there is the issue of visas, Im from Dubai and currently I live in Singapore, Dubai has some sort of industry and Signapore has none at all, America is obviously the place for film and regular film jobs arent really something in need of foreigners, its very competitive, com sci however is a large market that is only now being tapped into.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Shinneh posted:

I have been studying and working on films for the better part of 5 years, I can go on about film form and the industry for awhile, and just got into com sci recently. I really enjoyed math & technology in school and often did it when i get burnt out on films. I would enjoy doing it, but i definitely would be miserable if i never became a filmmaker.

Thats actually a great idea that im going to look into, people always reccomend VFX which i hate, but plug ins for software migth actually be something i like.

I do love programming alot, and one of the reasons im not so up for a film degree is that, com sci is very systematic and can be done at almost anytime, filmmaking requires time and inspiration, i dont like being forced to make something i dont want to make (getting paid is the exception of course). I definitely would spend alot of time on film, but i dont want any pressure if i take a day off to clear my head, know what i mean?

I do know what i want to do and have studied how alot of people in that position got there (studio directing). I dont really look as com sci as a fallback (well sorta), but more of something that can get me good money while i work on film, because like i said, id be pretty depressed if im not making films when im older. Also there is the issue of visas, Im from Dubai and currently I live in Singapore, Dubai has some sort of industry and Signapore has none at all, America is obviously the place for film and regular film jobs arent really something in need of foreigners, its very competitive, com sci however is a large market that is only now being tapped into.

If it weren't for the visa, I'd say ditch the computer science degree. As you said, A computer science degree ought to make obtaining one of those much easier since there is a shortage of software engineers in the US. The government (and HR departments) tend to put a bit of value on a degree even while the software engineers who will actually be hiring you won't care nearly as much about it. They just want to know that your problem solving skills aren't terrible, that you can code and that you are a good culture fit for the team/company. Don't get me wrong, the degree is not a bad thing to have if you wanted to make a career out of it but it really is a distraction if your main goal is studio directing. It's possible to get a programming job without a degree but if your work visa requires it, then you probably don't have much choice.

As far as programming goes, the people who do plug in work, are called technical artists, and there a few communities out there where you might be able to get some information from like tech-artists.org . Open source software is also a pretty valuable learning opportunity. Stuff like Maya will have open source counterparts like blender and it's nice to be able to work with other programmers. Some of those developers can even make good mentors for you. It also helps you get used to working on large systems with lots of moving parts. You probably will have no idea what you are doing when you get started, but that's normal and expected. What's important is having the motivation to self teach yourself and be able to work out problems as they come up.

School work has some value but it's going to be your personal projects, internships and major projects that are going to make or break you in this field. Doing your school work plus the extra work you need to do to make it in the field is going to take a lot of time and that's time you can't spend filmmaking. So keep in mind that this route will probably lead you to many sleepless nights if you are going to do film stuff too. On the plus side, colleges often have industry connections and if one of those connections happen to be an international company with offices in California then that could work out very well for you.

You know what you can handle more than anyone but I just don't want to undersell how much work this will be. Don't forget to take care of yourself either, sleep and eating regular meals is really important too.

Shinneh
Dec 24, 2015

JuniperCake posted:

If it weren't for the visa, I'd say ditch the computer science degree. As you said, A computer science degree ought to make obtaining one of those much easier since there is a shortage of software engineers in the US. The government (and HR departments) tend to put a bit of value on a degree even while the software engineers who will actually be hiring you won't care nearly as much about it. They just want to know that your problem solving skills aren't terrible, that you can code and that you are a good culture fit for the team/company. Don't get me wrong, the degree is not a bad thing to have if you wanted to make a career out of it but it really is a distraction if your main goal is studio directing. It's possible to get a programming job without a degree but if your work visa requires it, then you probably don't have much choice.

As far as programming goes, the people who do plug in work, are called technical artists, and there a few communities out there where you might be able to get some information from like tech-artists.org . Open source software is also a pretty valuable learning opportunity. Stuff like Maya will have open source counterparts like blender and it's nice to be able to work with other programmers. Some of those developers can even make good mentors for you. It also helps you get used to working on large systems with lots of moving parts. You probably will have no idea what you are doing when you get started, but that's normal and expected. What's important is having the motivation to self teach yourself and be able to work out problems as they come up.

School work has some value but it's going to be your personal projects, internships and major projects that are going to make or break you in this field. Doing your school work plus the extra work you need to do to make it in the field is going to take a lot of time and that's time you can't spend filmmaking. So keep in mind that this route will probably lead you to many sleepless nights if you are going to do film stuff too. On the plus side, colleges often have industry connections and if one of those connections happen to be an international company with offices in California then that could work out very well for you.

You know what you can handle more than anyone but I just don't want to undersell how much work this will be. Don't forget to take care of yourself either, sleep and eating regular meals is really important too.

Yeah visas are the main reason really.

Tech art seems like a good skill to know

Yeah thats the reason i do and dont want to do a film degree, the connections are great, people are awesome and are much more willing so help out on sets if you do the same. The reason im turned off by a film degree is that, I dont want to be forced to do projects I have no interest in, and I've seen the ciricullum and even sat in on some classes and im not saying that i know everything, but the classes really dont interest me as much as com sci, in the sense that im not being challenged. I can be forced to do engineering and programming work, becasue its systematic and requires no inspiration, its really just problem solving, film is more with creating and that requries down time and inspiration, Im not sure how busy a undergrads coursework is, but it seems like its alot, but i do feel like i can handle it, i could be very wrong though, id have to look into that more. but, if say im swamped with com sci, i dont HAVE to do film if I cant, I never force myself to do something I have no mood for if i dont have to do it.

Idk tbh, its really about perspective on which is better. Work a 9-5 job making $50-60k/year and put some of that money into personal projects in my free time or work a 9-5 job in the film industry making $20-30k/year and making personal projects when i have enough cash to put into it and am in the mood, but probably being able to do it on work time getting to meet tons of industry people and make connections.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Shinneh posted:

Yeah thats the reason i do and dont want to do a film degree, the connections are great, people are awesome and are much more willing so help out on sets if you do the same. The reason im turned off by a film degree is that, I dont want to be forced to do projects I have no interest in.

From what i gathered of Tom Lennon and Ben Garant's book This is like...90 percent of working in Hollywood.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Working on stuff you have no interest in is one of the major things separating a professional from a hobbyist in any creative industry. That's why they pay you.

Like, don't get me wrong, it's a fun job whether you're working on an awesome film or a mayo commercial, but not every project is going to be up your alley - and that's fine.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Best (only) bet is to learn to find the interest in everything you do. That's the real education and part of why I value having gone to a traditional 4-year university as opposed to an art school.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I feel like this one is about as Stupid Newbie as you can get, but: how do I build a copywriting portfolio from scratch? Copywriting isn't really a hobby, so it's not something I can envision a natural inception for, but at the same time you obviously can't get hired to write copy without a portfolio. Plus I have an undergrad in English rather than something like communications so the writing I DO have is academically-focused rather than showing off a grasp of content marketing.

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but I only ever see advice on how to advance careers rather than how to even get your foot in the door, and being an admin assistant for more than another year sounds miserable. Any advice at all?

e: If it helps, I'd like to work with an agency but know how competitive that is, and am totally down with just being an in-house copywriter somewhere. I don't really have any dreams of becoming a freelancer because I'd rather just have a stable job for the time being, but I guess it's not off the table if I find a way to market myself.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Shinneh posted:

Idk tbh, its really about perspective on which is better. Work a 9-5 job making $50-60k/year and put some of that money into personal projects in my free time or work a 9-5 job in the film industry making $20-30k/year and making personal projects when i have enough cash to put into it and am in the mood, but probably being able to do it on work time getting to meet tons of industry people and make connections.

I'm an animator and I know a lot of people who get into the field and can't maintain their creativity outside of the 8-12 hour days required in this industry. Also you won't be paid overtime if you're a technical artist unless you're at one of the top game or film studios, but may be required to work weekends and late nights. Lots of guys start getting major health problems, and after a year of full time in the field I now have some pretty bad back and shoulder pain. Rigging TDs regularly work 70 hour weeks with no OT if they haven't figured out how to script well enough to automate their more rigorous tasks. Also you probably won't have health insurance.

You will also probably have to move around every few years. It's difficult to maintain relationships that way, and companies don't pay relocation fees. Not saying you shouldn't pursue it but you really need to know what you're getting into beforehand.

I don't know which route to really encourage though because I haven't burned out enough to say definitely go to the 9-5 job.