Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does the game only update when you first discover an object when you hand in the data?

Like for keeping track who discovered what first and that kind of thing? You have to actually turn it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does the game only update when you first discover an object when you hand in the data?

Yeah. Don't die on your way back from exploring if you want your money or name on things.

Don't trust anyone mannnnn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ixglz4AvY

That dude who got blown up had just returned from a months-long exploration trip. :shepicide:

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I have a vulture with b and c fittings and about 4 million space bucks what can I trade it in for to do exploration?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Good golly this game. :allears:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

GarudaPrime posted:

Compounding this is the (bugged?) navigation system that drops your route every jump. Anyone know why that is? It seems tied to cargo, as I can plot a route to robigo no problem but headed back with a full cargo hold makes it break.

This bug has been fixed since they did the 2.0.0.2 update.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rah! posted:

Yeah. Don't die on your way back from exploring if you want your money or name on things.

Don't trust anyone mannnnn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ixglz4AvY

That dude who got blown up had just returned from a months-long exploration trip. :shepicide:

And this, my friends, is why Solo-mode was invented. :smugbird:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Still no aliens.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

Still no aliens.

Go to Maia, the mysterious plague of system malfunctions has appeared over there, too. The aliens are probably in the stations already.

Edit:

Or go help find Star Liner wreckage. That CG gives a 20% bonus to aliens appearing, I swear on the honor of my dead bird!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I have a vulture with b and c fittings and about 4 million space bucks what can I trade it in for to do exploration?

Probably the Diamondback Explorer. I'm not sure if you'll have enough to fit an Asp Explorer. Sell all your fittings but keep the hull. You'll have more than enough.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Libluini posted:

Go to Maia, the mysterious plague of system malfunctions has appeared over there, too. The aliens are probably in the stations already.

Edit:

Or go help find Star Liner wreckage. That CG gives a 20% bonus to aliens appearing, I swear on the honor of my dead bird!

I'm in Maia right now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

I'm in Maia right now.

Good, so you only have to dock to get the infection meet the aliens

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Is there any way of knowing if a system has been discovered/explored before you actually go there and do the scans?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Haha, i was afking in a station for like an hour watching streams. I had to tab back in cause of this god awful grinding noise and i see the entire inside of the station just littered in ship debris and the station guns shooting full force at something outside, i have no idea what happened. I'd post some of the screenshots i took, but they are too dark to really see anything.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Is there any way of knowing if a system has been discovered/explored before you actually go there and do the scans?

If the commander has turned the info in it'll have a big "discovered by" tag on the system map. The tag applies to individual bodies, too. So a guy could've scanned the star and bailed but you could still claim the planets

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Dongattack posted:

Haha, i was afking in a station for like an hour watching streams. I had to tab back in cause of this god awful grinding noise and i see the entire inside of the station just littered in ship debris and the station guns shooting full force at something outside, i have no idea what happened. I'd post some of the screenshots i took, but they are too dark to really see anything.

Every once in a while, the NPC AI will bug out and ships won't leave the station after taking off, upon which the station guns obliterate them after about five minutes. LOITERING IS A CRIME

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
There's also an event to get noobies a free ship. Quality of ship depends on tiers completed. Last I saw tier one hadn't been reached yet.

:laffo:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

3 posted:

Every once in a while, the NPC AI will bug out and ships won't leave the station after taking off, upon which the station guns obliterate them after about five minutes. LOITERING IS A CRIME

The station also blows up ships that have been scanned and proven "wanted" to it, so there's that, too.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

3 posted:

Or someone was just outside kw scanning the npcs just entering which causes them to veer of while docking and usually results in a mess!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

The station also blows up ships that have been scanned and proven "wanted" to it, so there's that, too.

:allears: Looks like I better avoid the stations in the system I accidentally killed some cops in weeks ago.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

frank.club posted:

If the commander has turned the info in it'll have a big "discovered by" tag on the system map. The tag applies to individual bodies, too. So a guy could've scanned the star and bailed but you could still claim the planets

Yes, but that involves being in the system to hit System Map, doesn't it? I want to plan a road trip and wouldn't mind claiming one or two of the billions of systems out there.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Yes, but that involves being in the system to hit System Map, doesn't it? I want to plan a road trip and wouldn't mind claiming one or two of the billions of systems out there.

I believe if they've scanned the star it'll show up if you hover over the star on the galaxy map.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

There's also an event to get noobies a free ship. Quality of ship depends on tiers completed. Last I saw tier one hadn't been reached yet.

:laffo:

The stats are so hilariously sad

Current Contributors: 733.
Current Global Progress: 32,027 Tonnes Collected.
Current Reward Tier: Tier 0/6.
Current Global Reward: No Ships Unlocked Yet.
Global Reward at next tier: Gift of an Eagle to new pilots..

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

Since it's Christmas and I love the Eagle, I'm considering helping out after the other failing CG is over in a couple days. (I don't want to clutter my menu with too many CG-entries and I'm already in two and are on my way to enter the one searching for space ship wreckage.)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Screwing around with weapon loadouts for my Courier Waiting For Getout. Anyone have any suggestions besides "Two lasers and a multi-cannon"? Two pulse laser and a cannon seems to work out decently, but is still pretty slow. Two pulse and a rail Gun is better but, ugh,that ammo capacity - though that was partly my fault for trying to take a Conda with just an NPC Viper shooting at it too (Though the Viper was wanted too, so I turned on him immediately and took him out pretty fast).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a quick way to check the total sale value of my current ship and it's modules?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Dongattack posted:

Is there a quick way to check the total sale value of my current ship and it's modules?

Multiply your insurance rebuy cost by 20

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Someone made a website for sharing binds. I didn't work for me at first but he just fixed it. http://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/xqllgq

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Xtanstic posted:

Honestly, I loving propose that we get right to this, as a Christmas gift to newbies everywhere.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Finally took my DBE out for the first time about 1k LY from the bubble and had a bit of a fly around. Found an un-explored system and somehow came away with nearly 4gb of screenshots. Whoops!

http://imgur.com/a/8o9aE//layout/horizontal

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Xtanstic posted:

Paramemetic I am ordering you to save Christmas and make sure new pilots all get Cobras

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How did I never realized that the UI actually tells you where the mail hole is in the cube stations!? I seriously spent so much time trying to find them earlier on

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

hee hee

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

Honestly, I loving propose that we get right to this, as a Christmas gift to newbies everywhere.

It's a loving Rare trading CG though, which will take forever if I'm to go by how slow the Snowball delivery one just went. It's easier to get a tadpole to collect our bounties or something.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Xtanstic posted:

It's a loving Rare trading CG though, which will take forever if I'm to go by how slow the Snowball delivery one just went. It's easier to get a tadpole to collect our bounties or something.

231 LY, fuuuck

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Completely brand new here, have not played a flight game of any kind since Wing Commander on the SNES. Should I be able to get through all the tutorials before starting the actual game? Because I keep getting my poo poo kicked in by the Cobra MK III on wave 5. I know I'm supposed to try to stay behind the guy but I am apparently not very good at that.

edit: on "Incursion," I mean, the last mission in the single player combat training stuff

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 25, 2015

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

anime tupac posted:

Completely brand new here, have not played a flight game of any kind since Wing Commander on the SNES. Should I be able to get through all the tutorials before starting the actual game? Because I keep getting my poo poo kicked in by the Cobra MK III on wave 5. I know I'm supposed to try to stay behind the guy but I am apparently not very good at that.

Don't worry about the lovely complicated combat ones. Do the flight ones, the long distance nav ones, watch the videos on youtube and hop in. Come to IRC for all your pressing newbie questions because this game just dumps you off the deep end.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Literally Kermit posted:

Paramemetic I am ordering you to save Christmas and make sure new pilots all get Cobras

I am unfortunately away from my ship until tomorrow night and will only be on evenings through the new year, but I would like to assign 3 flights to this CG and post visibly about it on reddit, mainly because this will cause tears of outrage from pubbies who worked hard to earn those ships dammit.

I would suggest assigning the 101st, 102nd, 212th, 115th, and 313th to this. I'm not on my computer however so I can't check goatcore to see who is assigned where. I know the 115 is at least available, 101st is on a combat standby, so both of those are available to save Christmas and ruin the economy. At least send those two flights.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The later combat tutorials are harder than like 90% of the regular game's PvE combat. Don't feel bad about having issues with them.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Xtanstic posted:

Don't worry about the lovely complicated combat ones. Do the flight ones, the long distance nav ones, watch the videos on youtube and hop in. Come to IRC for all your pressing newbie questions because this game just dumps you off the deep end.

Shine posted:

The later combat tutorials are harder than like 90% of the regular game's PvE combat. Don't feel bad about having issues with them.

Okay cool. It seemed to jump in difficulty pretty significantly when they went from "fight three guys, with two wingmen helping you" to "defeat ten waves by yourself" but I assumed I was supposed to be able to do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

I've been playing space santa myself, and it's got 3 problems that make it hard to do:

1: Outposts only, which meant I had to make a special santa ship instead of using my mining ship,
2: 200+ LY routes, which means it's a long trip,
3: The station you get the gifts at is 31K ls away from the sun, which slows it down even more.

So it's rough goin. 20 tons of presents a time I've been doing it, for the good of humanity, but it's a hard road.

• Locked thread