Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What gun are you going to use in this Call of Duty?
The good one that everyone else uses
Another, different gun
View Results

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

victrix posted:

For close range, yes, there's very little in the game that can kill faster.

Amazingly, pretty much every smg has something going for it though, so there isn't really a 'best'.

Yeah I'm no pro/CoD vet but I can say how among the SMG/AR categories (which is basically all I've hosed with, with the exception of the Argus) it's really impressive to me how distinct they've made the guns feel from each other when at the end of the day they're all just sticks that shoot bullets out at varying rates. There have been multiple times I've lost a firefight and thought "poo poo, if I had been running the VMP/Vesper/Pharo (or whatever) instead of what I was using I totally would have had that" and I think that reflects really well on the game balance. They've made certain guns really good in certain situations, and a big part of doing well involves identifying that and taking advantage of the map to make sure you end up in those situations as often as possible.

Although, even though I leveled it all the way up, I can say I've almost never thought "poo poo I wish I had the Weevil equipped there" -- seems like, unless you're taking serious advantage of the mobility you get with a stock equipped, you're almost always gonna be better off with the short-range advantage of any other SMG or the long-range advantage/headshot bonus you get with any Assault Rifle. Weevil sort of gives you the advantages of both but in a really half-assed way across the board that makes you wish you were running basically anything else

edit: oh yeah though I never expected it (in previous games it never seemed that attractive to me) but I basically feel naked without Stock and it's my highest-priority attachment. You would not believe how many people you run into just can't loving hit you if you're strafing with Stock equipped; it's ridiculous. Also, if you're running Ghost and an SMG, you'll maintain your "ghost" status if you move around ADS with Stock equipped; without Stock (or if you're using anything other than an SMG or Shotgun) you won't be moving quickly enough ADS and you will show up on an enemy UAV. Honestly I hope they tweak that; Stock's a cool attachment and I'd like more of a reason to use it with other guns & that Ghost synergy goes a long way

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Things people complained for me using tonight: gravity spikes, knife, sparrow, flamethrower, kuda, man o war (I had thermal on it), trophy system.

People really don't want you using anything that kills or inconveniences them.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is there a steam group?

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

My camo quest is currently on VMP, and poo poo that gun is terrible. Very high recoil for a Call of Duty game, and Grip only helps a little bit. Headshots are all about luck.

Vesper time can't come soon enough.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
Had a good set of games tonight. went ham with the vmp and went 2.0kd or better in almost all the games.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

victrix posted:

If you use the Weevil or the Razorback, make a conscious effort not to get into head to head firefights with other subs up close, you'll lose.

No deal, bud.

victrix posted:

Stock is extremely good on all subs, and Suppressor is solid too. The Vesper and VMP are two of the only guns in the game I prefer to run fast/ext mags on.

I've dropped the Vesper for the VMP and Kuda. I switch it up depending on frustration/map/boredom. VMP with fast mags and grip or Kuda with rapid fire and extended mags. Although I switched to a suppressor on them last night and started swimming in wraiths so I dunno...suppressor supremacy? Kuda is the only gun I don;t use fast mags on really, as it seems to be very quick as a default.

victrix posted:

Can't tell you if rapid fire is worth it unfortunately, haven't done the math on it yet.

I use it on the kuda to up the killing potential and on the Pharo because I prefer it to long barrel. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference By The Numbers but I swear by it on those two.

Most of my better runs have come from the kuda. Rapid fire and extended mags usually, but rapid fire and suppressor ripped it up for me too.

goferchan posted:

edit: oh yeah though I never expected it (in previous games it never seemed that attractive to me) but I basically feel naked without Stock and it's my highest-priority attachment. You would not believe how many people you run into just can't loving hit you if you're strafing with Stock equipped; it's ridiculous. Also, if you're running Ghost and an SMG, you'll maintain your "ghost" status if you move around ADS with Stock equipped; without Stock (or if you're using anything other than an SMG or Shotgun) you won't be moving quickly enough ADS and you will show up on an enemy UAV. Honestly I hope they tweak that; Stock's a cool attachment and I'd like more of a reason to use it with other guns & that Ghost synergy goes a long way

I love stock on the SMG's, and it is mandatory for me on AR's, but my need to reload at stupid times means I end up using fast mags in its place on all but the kuda. I may go stock - suppressor whenever I'm sober enough to play in the coming days and see how it feels.

Checking the reload speeds on the gun spreadsheet, it looks like I could drop fast mags on the VMP and Razor too. Stock day all day y'all!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Things people complained for me using tonight: gravity spikes, knife, sparrow, flamethrower, kuda, man o war (I had thermal on it), trophy system.

People really don't want you using anything that kills or inconveniences them.

Basic tactics, common sense, controllers...All things that anger the cod community. (game, not fish.)

Superanos posted:

My camo quest is currently on VMP, and poo poo that gun is terrible. Very high recoil for a Call of Duty game, and Grip only helps a little bit. Headshots are all about luck.

Vesper time can't come soon enough.

Did...Did you mix the VMP and Vesper up in this post? poo poo to get a headshot on the Vesper you start by shooting at their feet if it's anything but point blank. The VMP, even without grip, is better than the Vesper for recoil. It's just that it's not a very high bar...

E: For clarity the Vesper is fantastic but yeah the recoil is insane, as the fire rate is insane. (I saw someone running rapid fire on it yesterday and nodded in approval.) The thing about the Vesper is by the time your synapses have fired telling your finger to pull the trigger all thirty bullets have already left the Vesper and at least some have found a new home in the enemy's body and brain so you don't really register that for some reason the gun is now aiming at a UAV.

Puckish Rogue fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 24, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah Vesper is a good gun but if you're going for headshots it's gotta at least be close to the nastiest recoil in the game. VMP is nothing, comparitavely

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

goferchan posted:

Yeah Vesper is a good gun but if you're going for headshots it's gotta at least be close to the nastiest recoil in the game. VMP is nothing, comparitavely

It's quirky in that it got me to 100 headshots faster than any other SMG. I tend to aim low as I got used to the recoil it was easy to find a sweet spot. Plus at point blank or when spinning around in a blind panic it tended to end up putting the killshot in their brain as the recoil decided my panicked hip firing of the entire magazine pleased the god of high fire rate and wasted lead.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Dalai Trauma posted:

Did...Did you mix the VMP and Vesper up in this post? poo poo to get a headshot on the Vesper you start by shooting at their feet if it's anything but point blank. The VMP, even without grip, is better than the Vesper for recoil. It's just that it's not a very high bar...

I haven't actually used the Vesper yet, but I've seen posts here saying "Vesper tryhards" and how it's the best weapon, so I was getting excited to try it. I guess SMGs as a whole are going to be annoying to get headshots with. ARs were really easy because of High Caliber.

I've now got the 100 VMP headshots after 2 hours of play (decent pubby teams in Nuketown Domination helped), and now I'm doing Weevil. This thing seems like it's as strong as the VMP but with a lower fire rate so it kills slower so it sucks.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Superanos posted:

I haven't actually used the Vesper yet, but I've seen posts here saying "Vesper tryhards" and how it's the best weapon, so I was getting excited to try it. I guess SMGs as a whole are going to be annoying to get headshots with. ARs were really easy because of High Caliber.

I've now got the 100 VMP headshots after 2 hours of play (decent pubby teams in Nuketown Domination helped), and now I'm doing Weevil. This thing seems like it's as strong as the VMP but with a lower fire rate so it kills slower so it sucks.

Ahh, okay yeah that makes a lot of sense. The Vesper really is a killing machine, but recoil is its biggest weakness so the post confused me.

The Vesper will obliterate pretty much anything when running and gunning, bar probably argus'. As that is your primary SMG concern it does what you want very well.

Weevil is not too bad with rapid fire. Pity you have to level it up to get that.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
I made a new emblem to replace my low-effort previous one.

Now that I look at it more closely the A hexagon is just slightly too far to the right. :negative: Time to fix it (again). I wish I could input values for angles/etc. instead of having to trial and error my way into getting those just right. At least it displays them now. Thank gently caress I don't have to make emblems on a phone app, too.

e: oh also finally got a Nuclear and a surprise Ultra Kill (8 kills) last night with the Gorgon. Thanks, Gorgon. Nearly got another Nuclear while doing the pink camo challenge...for the ICR. Now I have just 14 KN-44 headshots and challenges to go for diamond ARs.

versus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 24, 2015

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
i wish i could think of something better then john cena emblem. but im not creative sooo...

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Tempest is life (TDM spawns are bad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVrjgv24Z1k

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

versus posted:

I made a new emblem to replace my low-effort previous one.

a man after my own heart

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Those are some real bad pubs.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I'm ready for Christmas pubbies

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Sorry to ask again but I couldn't see it in the OP but is there a steam group? Yes I am a moron who owns this on PC.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/blOOPS_sux

It's kind of a ghost town tho.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
I haven't played a lot over the last 2 weeks, but they have really screwed up the spawns. I was playing KC earlier today and was constantly spawning right in the path of oncoming enemies.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

I'm ready for Christmas pubbies
Yep. Going to get on tonight and hope for some early cheer. Then tomorrow morning, taking a break to go do family stuff and back on again tomorrow night.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thanks Steam for going down for maintenance when the score was 192 to 47.

Edit:
Tempest is good, firegun is more fun for me though.

https://youtu.be/ZUCXpSPUF3c

And I got this yesterday

Made me feel good.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 24, 2015

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Fibby Boy posted:

Those are some real bad pubs.

It's the only good thing about TDM.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So its possible I screwed up the math somewhere, but from what I can tell, Rapid Fire is borderline useless on most guns.

The few cases where RF moves one gun ahead of another non-RF gun, we're talking about a ~10-20ms difference. That's like 1 frame. By comparison, Fast Hands can shave ~100-150ms off the time it takes to hipfire after sprinting, and Quickdraw can shave ~66-130ms off your ADS time (I still don't know the precise hipfire effect from Gung Ho - 'really fast' is all I can say).

That's pretty well far within the margin of error for human reaction time/tv/controller/net lag.

It might make a difference in an occasional gunfight, but when it's competing for space with Stock, High Cal, Quickdraw, Suppressor, etc, I don't think I'll be using it.

The one exception is burst guns. Burst weapons don't get a burst delay reduction after the latest patch, but they do get a rof increase that's a bit larger than other weapons.

Now whether it's worth taking over or with a Recon sight and/or Grip to improve the consistency of 1-2 burst kills, dunno. Very much something you'd have to test yourself and see if the XR-2/M8/Dredge perform better.

One other thought - they've done a pretty fine job tuning the weapons this time around, and the RF numbers are pretty carefully considered. It's possible that behind the scenes, RF does do more work on normal guns than what these numbers are telling me, perhaps because you land a few more hits while tracking a moving target. But I don't have access to the kind of data I'd need to say that with any certainty, and 3arc ain't releasing it :P

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Thanks Steam for going down for maintenance when the score was 192 to 47.

Edit:

Tempest is good, firegun is more fun for me though.

https://youtu.be/ZUCXpSPUF3c

And I got this yesterday

Made me feel good.
I got one yesterday too! ...From a GI unit I called in and then got killed, the dude who shot me was waiting on something else I think :laugh:

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Today's hc domination play included this gem: random pubby teammate standing next to my crate drop and shooting me in the head right before it falls so he could pilfer my loot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

housefly posted:

Today's hc domination play included this gem: random pubby teammate standing next to my crate drop and shooting me in the head right before it falls so he could pilfer my loot.

Can't believe I never thought of this before.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You don't get kicked until your 3rd teamkill. Get to it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Two free thefts from everyone on your team running one. :commissar:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

What are the best ways to adjust to the speed of this game? The game is way quicker than it was when I last played (BLOPS1/MW3), and I am getting destroyed in core.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

poo poo, I had that happen in MW2 HC. I then promptly told everyone on the team and we all took turns shooting him :v:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Even in Core I'll see 2 or 3 people immediately crowd around a dropped care package. Like, no, gently caress you, that's mine.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Even in Core I'll see 2 or 3 people immediately crowd around a dropped care package. Like, no, gently caress you, that's mine.

Meanwhile, I always yell to myself whenever someone blows up an enemy Care Package. You got legs and hands you fucks go steal it instead.:argh:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's fun to steal them with engineer, then lay prone next to it until the owner enemy comes and shoots you.

And then tries to take it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

victrix posted:

So its possible I screwed up the math somewhere, but from what I can tell, Rapid Fire is borderline useless on most guns.

The few cases where RF moves one gun ahead of another non-RF gun, we're talking about a ~10-20ms difference. That's like 1 frame. By comparison, Fast Hands can shave ~100-150ms off the time it takes to hipfire after sprinting, and Quickdraw can shave ~66-130ms off your ADS time (I still don't know the precise hipfire effect from Gung Ho - 'really fast' is all I can say).

That's pretty well far within the margin of error for human reaction time/tv/controller/net lag.

It might make a difference in an occasional gunfight, but when it's competing for space with Stock, High Cal, Quickdraw, Suppressor, etc, I don't think I'll be using it.

The one exception is burst guns. Burst weapons don't get a burst delay reduction after the latest patch, but they do get a rof increase that's a bit larger than other weapons.

Now whether it's worth taking over or with a Recon sight and/or Grip to improve the consistency of 1-2 burst kills, dunno. Very much something you'd have to test yourself and see if the XR-2/M8/Dredge perform better.

One other thought - they've done a pretty fine job tuning the weapons this time around, and the RF numbers are pretty carefully considered. It's possible that behind the scenes, RF does do more work on normal guns than what these numbers are telling me, perhaps because you land a few more hits while tracking a moving target. But I don't have access to the kind of data I'd need to say that with any certainty, and 3arc ain't releasing it :P

I golded the XR-2 the other day and RF definitely makes a difference. I can take off High Caliber since it fires fast enough to consistently one-burst to the head.

I did watch a video yesterday of guy melting people with the Rapid Fire Man-o-War. I'm looking forward to that because I don't like the gun's slow rate of fire it has normally.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

What are the best ways to adjust to the speed of this game? The game is way quicker than it was when I last played (BLOPS1/MW3), and I am getting destroyed in core.

Bumper Jumper/Scuf/Elite

Resist the urge to run super high sens (unless you're on a XIM I guess?). It'll kill your accuracy at range, and if you need super high sens to turn on enemies behind you, what you really need is better situational awareness, not higher sensitivity. I use 4 horiz/6 vert for reference, tinker with yours until it's comfortable.

SMG/Stock/Quickdraw or Stock/Suppressor

Ghost/Flak Jacket/Fast Hands/Dead Silence/Awareness. Take Hard Wired instead of Dead Silence while you're busy leveling up until you unlock it.

Alternately, KRM/Brecci shotgun, same loadout but change Awareness to Gung Ho and Fast Hands to Scavenger and take double Concussion (and later double Flashbang). Extremely, extremely annoying setup, and highly effective. Also works well with SMGs, but causes more pubby rage with shotties. Do not use the Haymaker. Do use the Argus once you get it. Don't ADS the KRM, you can ADS the Brecci occasionally, but in general it's good training for jumping/sliding and hipfiring like a maniac.

Rush rush rush, until you learn maps and flow.

It's actually harder to camp and play defensive in this game than it is to rush like an idiot because the spawns are twitchy as all gently caress, and unless you're playing with a very careful party, they'll flip constantly.

Play Dom, Demo, or Uplink so you have at least some spawn stability. KC, TDM, and then Hardpoint are more difficult, roughly in that order. Safeguard is bad and dumb, use it for multi-kill specialist challenges.

And remember two simple rules:

Don't know where the enemies are? They're behind you, the spawns just flipped.

There is always a second enemy behind the one you just killed, so don't loving reload after one kill. Actually don't reload after two if you still have rounds left. Basically don't reload. Don't reload. Don't do it. I know you want to. Stop. Don't.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Do a lot of people actually use bumper jumper or is this just the hardcore fringes? I keep debating putting in the time to become aclimatised to it, but brief dabbles have shown that it is going to be a pain in the rear end for a while.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The Brecci is actually a rather good weapon now, it's kind of surprising how far out you can hit people now. It's also surprisingly good with a silencer if you haven't tried running it with one yet.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

RossCo posted:

Do a lot of people actually use bumper jumper or is this just the hardcore fringes? I keep debating putting in the time to become aclimatised to it, but brief dabbles have shown that it is going to be a pain in the rear end for a while.

It's pretty quick to get used to but I haven't really found it super useful because you can't ads while jumping and for whatever reason I can't get a hang of aiming while jumping.

Edit: my primary reservation in getting used to bumper jumper is that it seemed dumb to get used to a change in controls for a gameplay feature that won't be in the next versions.... Right?

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 25, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Starting to see the first trickle of single-digit level numbers,, where my PS4 D-crew at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

SubponticatePoster posted:

Starting to see the first trickle of single-digit level numbers,, where my PS4 D-crew at?

I'm eating. Will be on soonish.

• Locked thread