Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

man nurse posted:

I complained about this yesterday, but ugh. Get me off of this mountain. I don't care for this driving and hunting stuff and I feel like it should be regulated to optional side activities, not forced into the main game like this. The previous games didn't have entire chapters dedicated to teaching you how to do mini games. I want to get back to cities and beating up dudes and crime drama intrigue. This is completely boring.

I'm dreading Haruka's chapter at this point. The game picks up again, right?

Edit: Alright, made it back to civilization and immediately found a misadventure involving pocket warmers. Things are good again. Cripes, what a slog this entire part was.

I felt like even when I got to the city, Saejima's part was still dragging rear end. Let's review his chapter:

Part 1: oh my god how loving long do I have to hang around this area with people I most assuredly won't care about later in the plot
Part 2: hunting is boring as almighty gently caress
Part 3: oh cool I'm in the most bland city in the series (BUT HEY XMAS LIGHTS) and following a main plot that is "go here, figure out where to go next, go there" with very little face smashing
Part 4: wait, I think I fell asleep during a Part, because I just realized Part 4 is the part with the town? Whatever BRING ON THE DANCE BATTLES AND AKIYAMA PLEASE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They must have realized how boring and linear huge stretches of Saejima's chapter is so that's why they gave you free reign over Kamurocho at the beginning. Like to get all that wanderlust (hopefully) out of your system. I'm at the point of no return for Saejima and it really doesn't feel like it, so I'm just wandering around getting beat up so I can complete more restaurants, maxing out the hostess here, and I just finished puzzle pool.

Saejima has been pretty boring all around and kinda disappointing but maybe his finale will be a fraction as cool as Kiryu Musou.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
I planned on going for 100% but I can't access Sawada mode for Shinada's training, even in Premium Adventure :smith:

bring on zero, I wanna play 80s majima already

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

A pretty drat solid game, but there were enough little niggles here and there that left me thinking that Yakuza 4 is still my personal favorite. The fact that picking up any locker keys as Haruka means that anybody who could actually use those items won't be able to access them until the story is completed seems like one of those things that should have been caught as a giant mistake and edited out, and I just plain don't understand why you can't update your clear save in Premium Adventure mode, which kind of took all the fun out of the idea of being able to go back and do everything you missed during the story. But still, thank god it was able to come over.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Wait, you can't get 100% unless you do everything before you beat the game??

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

mikeycp posted:

Wait, you can't get 100% unless you do everything before you beat the game??

You can get 100% no problem after beating it, my whiny complaint is that there's no way to update your clear save. So you can get 100% in Premium Adventure, but there's no way to use that progress and start a NG+. You only get a clear save upon beating the campaign, so when you start a NG+, you've only got what you had done upon beating the game. I used to love unlocking all the cheat items and then blazing my way through a NG+, but that doesn't work on this one for whatever reason.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Oooooh. Good to know. I thought it would affect getting the trophies too.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Ah, nope. You can totally unlock and 100% everything. It's just I can't take my sweet lightsaber or infinite ammo gun and steamroll an entire playthrough with it, that's all.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Gotta be super careful and read a guide to make sure you don't screw yourself out of stuff. Gotta get that golden gun so you can smash EX Hard for the trophy.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I actually didn't mind the prison section of Saejima's chapter because it honestly didn't feel that long to me, and at least there was some intrigue as to why Saejima was being targeted etc. Also I liked that the deputy warden turned out to be a completely different character to what I was expecting.... But yeah, the perspective change from the end of Kiryu's chapter to the start of Saejima's kills the story's forward momentum dead for a while.

Also thought the hunting thing to be a really strange detour, and I hated that one police officer standing at one of the main intersections of the city, forcing you to have to take a detour all the time. I like Saejima but he's had my least favourite chapters in both Yakuza 4 and 5 so far.

Into Haruka's now, and actually rather enjoying it... probably because I'm way better at the dance stuff then I am at fighting. Still wish you could beat people up with her anyway, though.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Crappy Jack posted:

You can get 100% no problem after beating it, my whiny complaint is that there's no way to update your clear save. So you can get 100% in Premium Adventure, but there's no way to use that progress and start a NG+. You only get a clear save upon beating the campaign, so when you start a NG+, you've only got what you had done upon beating the game. I used to love unlocking all the cheat items and then blazing my way through a NG+, but that doesn't work on this one for whatever reason.

In 3 and 4 there was someone you could go to in adventure mode to generate a new clear save, did they take that out?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Captain Novolin posted:

In 3 and 4 there was someone you could go to in adventure mode to generate a new clear save, did they take that out?

They did. There's even a big pop-up when you start Premium Adventure that straight up says "There's no way to make a new clear save in this game while you're playing, anything you do in Premium Adventure won't carry over to a NG+".

I mean, it's a small little change, but one that took a major hit on my excitement to 100% the game.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So work has finally let up and I had a chance to start Yakuza 5 last night... is it just me or has the cinematography and presentation and everything gotten really good? I only played a few hours but I'm impressed how polished it has been. So glad to be playing a new Yakuza.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Why does the Virtual Reality Machine get worse and worse with every installment? It's debut in 3 was great because every boss you were refighting had a cool graphical gimmick that felt like they were just playing around with the new graphics engine. I liked fighting a giant stone gangsters, now it's just a badly implemented sidescroller

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

abagofcheetos posted:

So work has finally let up and I had a chance to start Yakuza 5 last night... is it just me or has the cinematography and presentation and everything gotten really good? I only played a few hours but I'm impressed how polished it has been. So glad to be playing a new Yakuza.

I don't really see any noticeable improvement since the other games have been just fantastic. Maybe if I rewatched the opening scene since it was so intense it might be a lot more noticeable

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, all the other games have been great too, don't get me wrong, but something about some of the camera shots in this one look real slick. The facial animations are also superb.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

That opening cinematic with the logo and everything was really impressive with the music and all, yeah.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So uh, think i'm at th end of the first part, and uh, Kiryu sure did gently caress basically everybody at the pier up.

Goddamn.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Playing through this chapter, I'm glad Haruka seems as perplexed by this running girl thing as I am.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I'm in a hurry to get to Christmas brunch, I beat the game and was wondering if anyone could detail some of the post game or near end game stuff I need to complete. I need t complete Harukas stand up substorie but then I noticed I got a challenge by Noa Amon

also I'm in adventure me and Harukas princess league stuff has been reset. Not sure if it's new content.

I kno Kiriyu is missing a sidequest but I'm not sure what. I also have not been invited to Bictory Road for all characters.

P.s. Harukas vocaloid costume is horrible

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I've been reading guides as I play and apparently Kiryu's final sub story comes when you beat every other one in the game. I believe it's the one for the Amon fight.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Policenaut posted:

I've been reading guides as I play and apparently Kiryu's final sub story comes when you beat every other one in the game. I believe it's the one for the Amon fight.

That is correct.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

It's a shame that Hana's charecter model had other obligations and could not show up.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
For Yakuza 3, when I enter PRONTO, my PS3 freezes up while the monitor shows a black screen and I have to reload my last save. My disc has no scratches and I recently replaced the HD of my PS3. Is there any known issues entering that store or do I need to wait for a certain period of time?

Also, when I got to Aqua Sky to play pool, the faces belonging to the pool and dart people are glitched out. Is that also a known issue?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Was Kiryu's section full of blurry textures all over the town for all of you? I thought the whole game would be like that, but Kamurocho's buildings were normal-looking.

Also, what the gently caress, Saejima punched out a motherfucking BEAR. :hellyeah: It's a good thing I grinded for experience and new skills in Kamurocho, or that battle would have been annoying.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

How is Yakuza popularity in Japan now? I heard 0 didn't sell well and I think people have gotten tired of the series besides a cult following like the American fantasy

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

How is Yakuza popularity in Japan now? I heard 0 didn't sell well and I think people have gotten tired of the series besides a cult following like the American fantasy

I wouldn't be surprised if they're feeling franchise fatigue in Japan given how fast the games get made and released there. It's not so bad in the West because Yakuza was for all intents and purposes, dead here until the Yakuza 5 announcement at PSX 2014 but I'd imagine Japan's getting a little sick of them. I still think releasing Kiwami and Yakuza 6 in the same year is a really crazy idea that isn't going to end well, given how dense the games are and how long they take to 100%.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I can't believe I forgot how fun e snowball mini game was, in the post game and looked over my key items to find the snowball thrower.

I remember near the launch of this someone in the thread couldn' find the new version of the arcade game ...xevios? The pretty one with all get shiny spaceships? what's everyone's opinion on the new version of that game? I couldn't get into it as much but man it sure was pretty

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I remember near the launch of this someone in the thread couldn' find the new version of the arcade game ...xevios? The pretty one with all get shiny spaceships? what's everyone's opinion on the new version of that game? I couldn't get into it as much but man it sure was pretty

Gunrheim? I cleared it on the first try. I still have no idea what its deal is, and I don't expect I ever will. It's nowhere near as intuitive as Boxcelios.

Cool graphics though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
How do I get the Manzai bits in Haruka's chapter? Do I have to simply level my agency high enough?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a side quest, not an agency job. The guy hangs out near the NE save point on Sotenbori Blvd.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I actually like the manzai thing. It's neat.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is there any way to go back and redo sidequests where you only get "done" instead of "resolved" or do I need to start saving before every one to satisfy my gamer OCD?

I assume you can get the final amon quest as long as everything is "done," right? They wouldn't be that cruel.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Sindai posted:

Is there any way to go back and redo sidequests where you only get "done" instead of "resolved" or do I need to start saving before every one to satisfy my gamer OCD?

I assume you can get the final amon quest as long as everything is "done," right? They wouldn't be that cruel.

I save before every one just in case, but the only way to redo sidequests is ng+

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the missile launchers coming out of nowhere at the end of kiryu's part was loving hilarious

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, someone linked a shogi program earlier. I tried that, but it stopped providing recommended moves very early in a game. I don't really want to learn how to play shogi, so is there an alternative or a solution for that particular program?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wait until you get to Kamurocho and use this method. Win 5 times and you need never touch shogi again. I don't know if there's a shogi place in Sotenbori as well, I never played Yakuza 2, but the dude in Nagasugai is not required for 100%.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would enjoy Shogi so much more if the pieces had clear pictures of what they are or were different shapes (like chess pieces). Even sitting close to our fairly large TV, after a certain number of moves it becomes hard for me to keep track of which moon language scribbles means which piece, let alone getting that information "at a glance" like I can with a chessboard to see "the big picture".

It sucks because Shogi is really fun. Basically this is what I want:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Seeing all these sparkly dots in Haruka's section and knowing I shouldn't touch any of them is maddening. Why would they do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It's especially annoying considering that in the second half of her part you can walk into sky finance and use the closet, in addition to actually talking to and handing Akiyama several items, but not those sorts of items.

• Locked thread