Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Now that I've seen The Force Awakens I can't stop seeing Kylo Ren in Shigaraki.

Edit: Also I remembered this scene from Trigun- I think it's why I liked the Shigaraki/Midoriya confrontation a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYVtO78T0To

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Shigaraki did not plan to murder Deku at all nor did he plan to run into him. It just happened and Shigaraki's plan from then onwards was just to scare a kid he met before.

Deku pointed out to Shigaraki that if he killed him the middle of the crowd he would be detected and Heroes would come and capture him. Shigaraki pointed out in return he could kill 20 to 30 people before he was captured to ensure he did not rat him out. Shigaraki is not stupid and that was clearly a just in case threat as he still does not want to get captured.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a tangent from that, I just remembered something I talked about before: Shigaraki's power, while scary, is so small-scale compared to the average "main villain". Like, killing twenty or thirty people before being taken out by someone in a mall, that'd be awful, but a "normal" villain (by the standards of fiction in general, not this series in particular) would be a completely unstoppable threat to the world until the hero manages to unlock the power of friendship or whatever to match them. Shigaraki's not scary because he's a walking WMD or something, he's scary because of what he represents, as the leader of the Villain Alliance and the budding Symbol of Evil to rival All Might's Symbol of Peace. And, of course, because he's a complete head case and looks menacing as hell whether he's in "costume" or not, and he has shown that he will go for the kids if he can. He's not some nebulous darkness on the horizon, he's a threat in both a general way and a very personal, direct one to our protagonists.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

On a tangent from that, I just remembered something I talked about before: Shigaraki's power, while scary, is so small-scale compared to the average "main villain". Like, killing twenty or thirty people before being taken out by someone in a mall, that'd be awful, but a "normal" villain (by the standards of fiction in general, not this series in particular) would be a completely unstoppable threat to the world until the hero manages to unlock the power of friendship or whatever to match them. Shigaraki's not scary because he's a walking WMD or something, he's scary because of what he represents, as the leader of the Villain Alliance and the budding Symbol of Evil to rival All Might's Symbol of Peace. And, of course, because he's a complete head case and looks menacing as hell whether he's in "costume" or not, and he has shown that he will go for the kids if he can. He's not some nebulous darkness on the horizon, he's a threat in both a general way and a very personal, direct one to our protagonists.

I am very scared

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I am very scared

As you well should be.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I predict the mole is Alien Queen, if only to give her something interesting to do. Besides, secreting acid? Total villain power.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rangpur posted:

I predict the mole is Alien Queen, if only to give her something interesting to do. Besides, secreting acid? Total villain power.

Shinsou would be disappointed to hear you say that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah didn't we just have a story about not judging someone by their power a few arcs ago?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Shinsou must be the mole

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 24, 2015

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Can't wait for Shinsou's transfer because that probably means that there's going to be a Shinsou origin chapter and it's going to be awesome.

Edit: Come to think of it, his two chapters are probably origin-y enough which is why they are awesome and he is awesome.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 25, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just watch, it's gong to turn out that the mole is an actual Mole with a Humanizing Quirk like the principal.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
There was no mole, it was us all along.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Just watch, it's gong to turn out that the mole is an actual Mole with a Humanizing Quirk like the principal.

"BEHOLD, the Underminer! I'm always beneath YOU, but NOTHING is beneath ME! I hereby declare war on peace and happiness! Soon, ALL will tremble before me!"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In a world of magical superpowers, I don't really see why a mole is necessary anyway. They just need a clairvoyant on their team or something.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Turns out Yuuei and teenagers in general have terrible opsec practices and AfO is just following the class on Twitter.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

"BEHOLD, the Underminer! I'm always beneath YOU, but NOTHING is beneath ME! I hereby declare war on peace and happiness! Soon, ALL will tremble before me!"

drat you, Monty! We trusted you and your C64 rendition of Devil's Galop!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Who's your favorite Pussycat and why is it Ragdoll Tiger?

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

A surprise Mole King visit would be hilarious, just because of how different his tone would be compared to the Villain Alliance.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Zweihander01 posted:

A surprise Mole King visit would be hilarious, just because of how different his tone would be compared to the Villain Alliance.

This manga badly needs some villain who's just a mad scientist with a giant wrecking machine.

EDIT: Or possibly an escaped, evil android bent on world conquest.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Roland Jones posted:

Hell, he can kill maybe 20 or 30 people... How often is it that people with just guns in malls can kill that many people? He is barely more dangerous in terms of how many people he can kill than a man with an automatic weapon and no regard for human life. Which I think is a good thing, we don't need to start off with someone who can nuke cities from orbit with eyebeams like Darkseid

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

KittyEmpress posted:

Hell, he can kill maybe 20 or 30 people... How often is it that people with just guns in malls can kill that many people? He is barely more dangerous in terms of how many people he can kill than a man with an automatic weapon and no regard for human life. Which I think is a good thing, we don't need to start off with someone who can nuke cities from orbit with eyebeams like Darkseid

Part of that might have to do with everyone in the entire mall having some sort of superpower.

THIS WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED IF (blank) HAD A GUN QUIRK.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Quirks don't kill people, villains kill people.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DrSunshine posted:

This manga badly needs some villain who's just a mad scientist with a giant wrecking machine.

EDIT: Or possibly an escaped, evil android bent on world conquest.

It's already in the manga except he's a hero.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The problem with "regular" villains is that they need a reason to fight the students. The villain alliance wants All Might and to a lesser degree the students dead so UA is the target.

That's why the non-certified hero students get to fight bad guys and foil their plots.

You'd need a reason that UA students would be the ones fighting notUltron instead of the pros.

E: also this is why I think all for one is likely the final villain of the series. Which is kinda disappointing since I'd like Midoria to have his own rogues gallery instead of most of his villains being dudes who just work for AFO in some way.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 25, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Eej posted:

It's already in the manga except he's a hero.

Obviously the principal would intervene and they'd have a mech battle!!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Fabricated posted:

The problem with "regular" villains is that they need a reason to fight the students. The villain alliance wants All Might and to a lesser degree the students dead so UA is the target.

That's why the non-certified hero students get to fight bad guys and foil their plots.

You'd need a reason that UA students would be the ones fighting notUltron instead of the pros.
This isn't "All Might Beyond", with Deku as Japanese Terry McGinnis. This is more like a war story, with all the soldiers being super heroes/villains, some of them in training. What's needed is mentions of the villain alliance going out and performing more "hero killings". All Might and UA students should just be the top priorities, but not the only ones.

quote:

E: also this is why I think all for one is likely the final villain of the series. Which is kinda disappointing since I'd like Midoria to have his own rogues gallery instead of most of his villains being dudes who just work for AFO in some way.
Shiragaki will probably take out AfO at some point and take full control of the villain alliance, and he's being set up as the anti-Deku.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kuroyama posted:

This isn't "All Might Beyond", with Deku as Japanese Terry McGinnis. This is more like a war story, with all the soldiers being super heroes/villains, some of them in training. What's needed is mentions of the villain alliance going out and performing more "hero killings". All Might and UA students should just be the top priorities, but not the only ones.

The stain fans literally just joined up and this is (a few of) their actual debut as characters, before this Shiragaki and the VA were quite aimless besides a general 'wanna kill that smug prick all might', he didnt even want to target and kill other heroes unless they were between him and all might.

quote:

Shiragaki will probably take out AfO at some point and take full control of the villain alliance, and he's being set up as the anti-Deku.

Shigaraki is totally being groomed to be AfOs new body im thinking.

Whether something goes wrong in yhe switch and either dies or they become some composite im not sure.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

NEVER ALWAYS FEAR, FOR I'M HERE.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That kind of owns.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Petiso posted:

NEVER ALWAYS FEAR, FOR I'M HERE.
Hahaha

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I thought it was a remodeled Stretch Armstrong at first glance.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not entirely convinced it's not

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Raws are out finally- which is getting kind of annoying because literally every series seems to get its raws first before MHA.

Little bit of training shown/explained, convenient excuse to split everyone up happens, more villains show up, they finally attack the kids, one of the kitty kats jobs out immediately.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mangastream is up:

http://readms.com/r/my_hero_academia/073/3147/1

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Ashido has been quickly climbing the list of my favorites recently.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

TriffTshngo posted:

Ashido has been quickly climbing the list of my favorites recently.
I'm pretty sure that Ashido is my spirit animal at this point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spinoff slice of life manga with Yaoyorozu, Jirou, Ashido, and Tsuyu.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
But does U.A. have a basically abandoned light music club for them to use?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Waffleman_ posted:

Spinoff slice of life manga with Yaoyorozu, Jirou, Ashido, and Tsuyu.

As long as Tsuyu's gf Uraraka shows up every now and then I'm fine with that :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zeruel posted:

As long as Tsuyu's gf Uraraka shows up every now and then I'm fine with that :kimchi:

Please, let's be realistic here.

The true pairing is Jirou and Momo.