Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

chitoryu12 posted:

There are stories of people getting on the PA system and yelling at guests on Pirates of the Caribbean for it, but I can't corroborate that myself. I'd imagine it's much better to just wait with security at the exit.

My first job was pirates, we weren't allowed to spiel over the ride unless we were evaccing or stuck.

That being said, I saw dong in the cameras more than a few times. There were a dozen cameras we'd watch when running the ride.

Night of joy is one of the worst nights for people loving on rides. Those youth groups....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah my gf doesn't like Mediterranean and we racked up a $140 bill at biergarten so weve just stuck to quick service

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cais posted:

My first job was pirates, we weren't allowed to spiel over the ride unless we were evaccing or stuck.

That being said, I saw dong in the cameras more than a few times. There were a dozen cameras we'd watch when running the ride.

Night of joy is one of the worst nights for people loving on rides. Those youth groups....

Everyone says Rock the Universe at Universal is the exact same way. Finding Christian kids banging everywhere.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
interestingly, Mansion has no cameras in the ride that we as cast monitor. We only know people are up to something when they step out of their buggy.

we used to have peep holes in the mansion, where a cast member would be stationed during high profile times (like Night of Joy) to keep an eye out. one of our former cast named Miss Ginger (a delightfully cooky old lady) was there, saw a girl pleasuring her boyfriend and shouted "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG"

thats my favorite story

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

demonR6 posted:

There are cameras and there are a lot more plain clothes roaming the shops than you would ever realize..

Pretending to browse Disney gift shops all day sounds like a special circle of hell.

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

Dugong posted:

Was Body Wars any good?

Normally I never notice the plain clothes security but they were far more obvious this last trip.

I went on Body Wars a couple of years before it closed. The line was empty even though the rest of the park was pretty busy. It's like Star Tours but the simulators jerky movements didn't really match up with the action on screen, plus you're meant to be inside the human body so the visuals are a bit icky, so rather than being thrilling it just made me queasy.

Fun fact: the Body Wars ride film was directed by Leonard Nimoy and it starred Hollywood megastars Elisabeth Shue and Tim Matheson (Otter from Animal House)

It's sad that Wonders of Life was the last Epcot pavilion to be built and the first one to close down. The best thing in there wasn't Body Wars but Cranium Command, a funny little show set in the human brain. It was delightfully dated with loads of cameos from 80's Saturday Night Live stars that nobody knew anymore, but it was pretty funny and entertaining.

Apparently both attractions are still sitting there behind boarded up walls in the Wonders of Life pavilion.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Don't forget Martin Short explaining how babies are made, touchscreen computers with medical info 20 years out of date, and those exercise bikes that let you ride through videos of Disneyland.

I loved that place.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Any Star Wars goons who are not AP locals in the park over the next two weeks please post up. I have a present!

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

demonR6 posted:

Any Star Wars goons who are not AP locals in the park over the next two weeks please post up. I have a present!

What kind of present?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Benway posted:

What kind of present?

The passholder exclusive SWW poster(s).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MK was INSANE today hoky cow. The EMH was awesome last night though, no wait times at all. Downside is all three coasters were closed but still cool.

Flying back now, will miss Disney. Thanks again Braks Girl and all you guys for the help.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Apparently the Seven Dwarves Mine Train got stuck for ages on Sunday.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Magic Kingdom is in phase B right now apparently which means no entry for single day pass guests and park hoppers and no re-entry.
As much as I love Disney, I don't think anyone could even pay me to go to the parks during christmas.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh Christmas is nothing.. New Years is a damned shitfest that makes Christmas pale in comparison.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

demonR6 posted:

Oh Christmas is nothing.. New Years is a damned shitfest that makes Christmas pale in comparison.

I heard Test Track was up to a 270 min wait last year on NYE. :psyduck:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

demonR6 posted:

That's a particular level of hell I never hope to experience.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

couldcareless posted:

That's a particular level of hell I never hope to experience.

I was once invited to New Years Eve in MGM by cousin and his girlfriend's family. Dear god, I lost hearing there and a fraction of my being. Everyone equipped with paper horns and blowing them insistently throughout the nite in close proximity to you, there is no space to escape as the whole park feels like an industrial slaughter house as you learn new meanings of personal boundaries.

Was also the same trip where the girlfriends family mistakenly only booked one room onsite and since it was New Years Eve we had to call about a dozen hotels to find a vacancy near the airport. Also they went on ahead and ate breakfast without us, as they didn't want to bother us as it really late by the time we got to our room and figured we would be tired and sleep in.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
I picked up a shift directing guests by the Epcot buses today. Things were going great until Magic Kingdom hit capacity and I had the pleasure of informing all the non resort guests that taking the monorail would be a waste of time. I felt so bad for guest relations. Piking up another shift tomorrow so if you happen to be over there look for a short guy with a Mickey hand! If you dare say stairs you'll get a fast pass perhaps.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's my mini trip report; sorry there's no pictures but I literally had no time for them because I was a stupid little kid who was excited!!

I had a god drat blast. The first day kind of sucked, really badly but that was my fault; we barley slept the night before, had a long flight and went as first timers to MK and spent all day there. We didn't have much fun. The few rides we went on were alright but it was meh. Cast members seemed really bored, or were checking their cellphones, everyone in the parks where in a bad mood, it was just unwelcoming. It seemed like throughout our trip the cast members where either extremely nice and helpful or bored out of their loving minds and looked like they wanted to get out of there. Alot of times we'd go up to a CM to ask a question while they where chatting away with a co-worker and they'd roll their eyes and then answer. I was in a lot of pain too.

I think part of this is because I had bought some brand new sketchers a month before hand expecting them to be awesome and work great, but they ended up putting me in so much pain it was intolerable. Plus we still had about 10 more hours of park to go because we bought Mickeys Christmas Party tickets...

Until we saw that every corner of the park had a array of flashing blinking LED lights, either on carts or little kids wearing them. My girlfriend has epilepsy so it got very scary very fast. We booked it to town hall, as I wanted to see if we could get a refund on the tickets (It was only like 7 pm.) The CM gave it to us but was hesitant at first, until he saw that I had to guide my gf around the park while she closed her eyes and looked down. Was nice of them to refund it, but it put a hamper on our vacation and we thought all was lost...

We started the next day thinking this was a horrible idea to come here, but it ended up turning around 100%. Everyone seemed way nicer and refreshed and we actually enjoyed ourselves. Wait times still weren't crazy, but the common theme throughout the vacation was "we have to hit our fastpasses."

Now as someone who has never been there before, no idea of the layout, i quickly learned that booking fastpasses for Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and then Jungle Cruise was a bad idea hah. I do agree with the sentiment that enjoyment in the parks is 100% dependent on fastpasses. If I hadn't micromanaged like a idiot I doubt we'd have as much fun as we did or as much enjoyment.

I found out that the best times to go was later in the afternoon. MK especially, most rides ended up being around a half hour or a walk on in Splash Mountains case.

Anyways from there the trip turned amazing for the rest of time. We did AlOT of walking, but it was amazing. I stated earlier in this thread that the Quick Service Dining Plan was worth it and I still stand by it. I'm a big eater and I never not felt full. We even had extra credits at the end. We managed to get back to enjoying Magic Kingdom in the ngiht time, it seemed like once Wishes ended alot of the children with blinking lights vanished.

I'm really bad at taking pictures.

I don't really remember much else of the trip, but here's my rankings of the rides:

Amazing Tier:
Splash Mountain
This ride is perfect. It's always exciting with the mini drops and never gets old. We rode this about 15 times and it's the one thing i'd love to go on again and again and again.
Space Mountain
Funner if you have a ticklish girlfriend and tickle her the entire ride.
Test Track
Making your own car was fun if you're a child :shrug:
Haunted Mansion
I don't get scared, but there's one animatronic that jumps out at the graveyard scene that scared me EVERY loving TIME where I would swear loudly. I'm surprised I didn't get kicked out.

Overrated Tier:
Soarin
I seriously don't get the hype about this ride. I bet once it's in 4k it'll work better but it just seemed like a imax theatre that raises up. Really boring and not worth it.
7 Dwarves
Meh
Peter Pan
Why this always has a huge wait is a mystery. The animatronics don't even move.
Expedition Everest
Eh. I don't think it's aged well. It doesn't nothing really clever imho, i've heard about the yeti being broken? But it just seemed like a coaster that goes backwards for one part. There's one part that feels like you go upside down and that's cool but otherwise it was wayyyyy too short.
Pirates of the Carribean
I know, I know, sacriligeous but it was my most looked forward too ride and I thought it was booooorrrinnngggg.
EPCOT
The whole pretrip and most of my life i've heard EPCOT was really cool and awesome, but it was decent. The best part as I said earlier was flirting with girls from the different countries and fist bumping someone in norway. The downside was all the frat boys yelling "USA USA USA" outside the germany pavilion at some poor middle eastern families. I felt really, really bad.
Mission Space
This is what you spent $200 million on? It needs a updating real bad. The screens on the ride remind of...
Sum of all Thrills
Which itself is super overrated. The idea is cool, a kuka arm is cool, but it just felt lame.

Surprisingly Cool Tier
Peoplemover
I know it's some weird disney in-joke with Disney nerds but this little "ride" is a blast.
Living with the Land
I've hated plants my entire life, but really enjoyed seeing what fruit comes from etc.
Winnie the Pooh
Fun.
Killimanjaro safari

RESTAURANTS
Pecos Bill everyday.

The Curry Hot Dog in African Kingdom is GROSS.

I didnt really like Dole Whips. Sorry goons. They where more of a sorbet when all these years I was expecting a vanilla ice cream with pineapple taste. School bread was pretty good, but the highlight was probably the caramel popcorn at karamel cooch or whatever it's called.

I know it seems like a bunch of negatives but I had great fun. Everything I didn't mention was awesome and met all expectations, but I don't forsee myself ever going back to EPCOT or Animal Kingdom unless Frozen Land and Pandora turn out real cool. I could ride Splash Mountain a million times though.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 28, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah and because i'm a goon, the amount of short skirts and tight shirts I saw in all parks was interesting to say the least. You'd think you'd have some dignity dressing to Disney World. :goonsay:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shots fired at Disney springs about 9:30 pm tonight. Anyone know what's going on?!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"
#UPDATE @OrangeCoSheriff says "no shooting" at @DisneySprings @ChrisHushWESH still headed to find details of what caused the scare. @WESH"

Apparently a brawl at the House of Blues.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, we're here to see a movie and nothing going down.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Disney Springs is going to hell already!

Friday, December 25 2015, 11:13 PM ESTIncident At Disney Springs Prompts Large Police Response

ORLANDO, Fla. (CBS12) -- An altercation between several patrons in the Disney Springs area, a.k.a. Downtown Disney, prompted panic among guests this evening.

Guests were seen fleeing the area and posting to social media sites, 'possible shots fired in Disney.'

Those rumors are false, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Sheriff's officials say there were 'no shots fired,' and that several guests were involved in a fist fight on 1780 E. Buena Vista Drive.

Some restaurants locked their doors as a precaution. No injuries are reported at this time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Man, Disney sets up metal detectors for parks where nobody's ever even drawn a gun inside. A rumor of shots fired in a fistfight is going to make them set up TSA full body scanners guarded by SWAT at the entrance to the parking garages.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would people panic and run away for a fist fight? I'm betting a gun was pulled and they are just not reporting it. Some guy on Reddit said it was a mass hysteria, but, it was Reddit so

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Probably guests overreacting about precautionary shut down.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Abu Dave posted:

Why would people panic and run away for a fist fight? I'm betting a gun was pulled and they are just not reporting it. Some guy on Reddit said it was a mass hysteria, but, it was Reddit so

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah, Universe of Energy is the most bewildering loving thing in the world. Half of it is unthemed, the other half has some cool animatronics.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Abu Dave posted:

Oh yeah, Universe of Energy is the most bewildering loving thing in the world. Half of it is unthemed, the other half has some cool animatronics.

It's a bit of an odd duck, as it's much closer to the old attractions that have already been removed like Horizons and the Wonders of Life pavilion. It's unchanged since 1996.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's a bit of an odd duck, as it's much closer to the old attractions that have already been removed like Horizons and the Wonders of Life pavilion. It's unchanged since 1996.

You can tell because it opens with a Jeopardy! parody starring Alex Trebek, Ellen DeGeneres, Bill Nye, and Jamie Lee Curtis.

:rip: Cranium Command and its cast of 1980s SNL actors

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 26, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ellen hasn't aged a day but Bill Nye and Jamie Lee...wow.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The fight at Disney Springs has finally been explained.

Long story short, an old man got into an argument at Bongo's over slow service and ended up attacking the managers. The commotion of him being subdued included some tables on the second floor being knocked over, and people on the first floor mistook the banging for gunshots and caused a giant panic.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

quote:

"You could hear people crying and screaming," she said.

Larsen said people started crawling on the floor over people and children trying to make it out the door. Amid the chaos, Larsen said she got separated from her son, Randy.

I dunno, sounds like just another day at Magic Kingdom during the holiday season to me.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
70-year old man gets into fight with manager, causes brawl and leaves a mark on his bicep. Spends the night in jail. Take that codger!

Oh wait..

About 15 tables ran out without paying and did not return, he said.

Stay classy tourists.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 27, 2015

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
10/10 predicted crowd levels for this week. I salute you brave souls.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Epcot was not bad today. Unless you were in the Test Track standby line. 105 minutes at 11. May the queen preserve me, I'm headed to Magic Kingdom tomorrow.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

demonR6 posted:

70-year old man gets into fight with manager, causes brawl and leaves a mark on his bicep. Spends the night in jail. Take that codger!

Oh wait..

About 15 tables ran out without paying and did not return, he said.

Stay classy tourists.

I have a feeling those 15 tables will be found. I doubt that anyone eating there Christmas day didn't have a reservation, so it's likely they had your name.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Not to mention, most Disney reservations require a credit card to reserve. They can just bill the card for your dine and dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Discount dropped this morning. It's up to 25% off most nights between April 14 and June 11. Must book by March 31. There's also a buy 4 get one free offer on tickets purchased with a package.

Always happy to help my fellow goons get to Disney so send me a PM if you're interested.