Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

honestly it says more about the insanity that went into designing the new mesmer traits/elite spec than it does about raids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

as a man who likes other men, raids are the thing for me

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kessel posted:

honestly it says more about the insanity that went into designing the new mesmer traits/elite spec than it does about raids

Pretty much this. Lol at people being grumpy at the idea of ANet nerfing mesmers because it will screw with raid cheese.

Please please god PLEASE nerf mesmers. PLEASE. They are the only class in the game I've seen hold up an entire team from capping a point for upwards of a minute, it's gross and awful and bad. gently caress everything about bunker mesmers.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nerf nothing, buff everything

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Magres posted:

Pretty much this. Lol at people being grumpy at the idea of ANet nerfing mesmers because it will screw with raid cheese.

Please please god PLEASE nerf mesmers. PLEASE. They are the only class in the game I've seen hold up an entire team from capping a point for upwards of a minute, it's gross and awful and bad. gently caress everything about bunker mesmers.

Bunker mesmers already got nerfed...

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's not that they are bunkers, it's that they get to cast duplicate skills and reduce cooldowns for everyone around them, making it close to impossible to balance anything

Especially in a game where almost all skill use is governed by only one resource - cooldown

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ExHumus posted:

Bunker mesmers already got nerfed...

And it didn't do a whole lot to change the fact that they're still powerful and irritating beyond all reckoning. What Kessel said is spot on - the new Chrono stuff means they're a class design that is going to be overpowered unless you completely dumpster everything they can do

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 24, 2015

Aug 24, 2011

it would help if their ability to do those things was more focused rather than just being shat on everything

alacrity on wells? the best choice out of some other not so good choices. alacrity on shatter? minor, you get it automatically. alacrity on class weapon? yes, and you can cast the skill twice, and the phantasms that give it to you can do so multiple times

there just aren't any tradeoffs here

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The Dulfy guild armour and weapons guide came out, and apparently you get both recipes for shimmering and tenebrous weapons when you buy one, but also that you need to use a different character to mine the ore synthesiser in each guild hall if you want to get both types of crystal, rather than the same for both. RNG didn't come through for me in Lost Precipice so I can't guarantee that info is correct, but I know I've certainly never gotten any ore out of the other hall using the same guy to mine.

Also this is probably obvious but you can port to another guild hall without representing that guild if you're in it, so hooray for that.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
Could we get a discord server set up maybe? :o

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
yeah if you arent riding the bunker chrono train to legend what are you doing with your gw2 time. 1 tier from diamond thanks to this broken baby. (ok most of it was necro but chrono has come handy for more than a few pips)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

you need to use a different character to mine the ore synthesiser in each guild hall if you want to get both types of crystal

I can happily guarantee this is not true and unfortunately you're just unlucky. I mine both types of guild halls daily with one character and am getting both types of crystals.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can happily guarantee this is not true and unfortunately you're just unlucky. I mine both types of guild halls daily with one character and am getting both types of crystals.

Well, poo poo, I've had one shimmering crystal in five days and I spunked that away on an insignia for the light ornate guild gloves.

This is for all the boasting about teq hoards and the two colossus drops isn't it Anet, you jerks

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free

Game is still good

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sir Heftysack :lol:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"I'm a dodger and a diver me mate, the main ain't never getting one over on me cos I'm always free steps ahead, and you ain't neither pall, I'm a tiger me, rawr"

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Hurp Durp Master posted:

yeah if you arent riding the bunker chrono train to legend what are you doing with your gw2 time. 1 tier from diamond thanks to this broken baby. (ok most of it was necro but chrono has come handy for more than a few pips)

I feel like Tempest is a better bunker than post-nerf Chronomancer (not that Chronomancer isn't still good enough). You can ride any legitimate bunker through the leagues, to be honest.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Would be nice for warriors in pvp, if instead of having a trait for 2% more damage per boon on a enemy, they did 33-40% more none condition damage to enemies with just protection boon, really brute force past it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The ultimate MMO warrior would be dressed entirely in metal and have one button, the "hit things with your huge sword" skill, and all points would just make the big sword hit harder.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I just started playing again. I haven't played since around lunch and I don't understand what the progression is. What even is the loop. So far I have just been running around and leveling mostly on exploration. Should I trying to grind gear? Does rare gear have different skills?

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
First, hit level 80. Do whatever you want, because doing anything at all gives you experience. Go for map completion, explore the world, find jumping puzzles and hidden areas, complete renown hearts, etc. Killing mobs doesn't net you a lot of exp, so don't just run around killing everything and expecting to level. You can always do WvW, or PvP too.

Gear won't matter much while you're leveling, just remember to get new gear every maybe 20 levels or so. Gear doesn't have specific abilities, rare stuff is just stronger than a non-rare would be at the same level. That's really it.

Also, join a Goon guild. Or both of them!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

thanks alot assbag posted:

First, hit level 80. Do whatever you want, because doing anything at all gives you experience. Go for map completion, explore the world, find jumping puzzles and hidden areas, complete renown hearts, etc. Killing mobs doesn't net you a lot of exp, so don't just run around killing everything and expecting to level. You can always do WvW, or PvP too.

Gear won't matter much while you're leveling, just remember to get new gear every maybe 20 levels or so. Gear doesn't have specific abilities, rare stuff is just stronger than a non-rare would be at the same level. That's really it.

Also, join a Goon guild. Or both of them!

The gear was where I had the hardest part when playing GW2. I didn't really know how to make money in GW2, so I didn't know the best way to go about getting higher level gear once I hit 80. That also made changing the way the armor looked difficult, so I would just get frustrated. Not to mention some of the dyes are expensive as hell, so there's the money issue again.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I always find that whatever it is i find to do at any time brings in plenty of money, unless its a money sink like crafting.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mine both types of guild halls daily with one character and am getting both types of crystals.

I think you've been hitting the maple syrup a little too hard because I've never been able to mine both halls in the same day.

Either that or you've spent enough money at the gem store to trigger some flag in the code that lets you do things that casuals can't.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

I think you've been hitting the maple syrup a little too hard because I've never been able to mine both halls in the same day.

Either that or you've spent enough money at the gem store to trigger some flag in the code that lets you do things that casuals can't.

I mine PROV and SFD daily so maybe you should huff some of this syrup with me mate :cool:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

RhoA posted:

The gear was where I had the hardest part when playing GW2. I didn't really know how to make money in GW2, so I didn't know the best way to go about getting higher level gear once I hit 80. That also made changing the way the armor looked difficult, so I would just get frustrated. Not to mention some of the dyes are expensive as hell, so there's the money issue again.

What do you enjoy doing? Because pretty much every activity makes money in some way. Right now you can do the wintersday events and sell the drinks you get from the boxes for 7 silver a pop. Fractals and dungeons give money, even just going on some gathering routes makes really nice money.

Gearing is easy, you can get your new level 80 in rares for pretty dirt cheap, then it is just the matter of getting exotics, which you can get through wvw badges, dungeon tokens, guild comms, karma, or just straight up buying it. Any gear above exotic is long term and not very impactful.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

What do you enjoy doing? Because pretty much every activity makes money in some way. Right now you can do the wintersday events and sell the drinks you get from the boxes for 7 silver a pop. Fractals and dungeons give money, even just going on some gathering routes makes really nice money.

Gearing is easy, you can get your new level 80 in rares for pretty dirt cheap, then it is just the matter of getting exotics, which you can get through wvw badges, dungeon tokens, guild comms, karma, or just straight up buying it. Any gear above exotic is long term and not very impactful.

Honestly don't really know what I like to do in GW2. If anything I like to just gently caress around with guildmates, but my play times are sporadic at best and I often miss out on SFD WvW Wednesday or whatever may be going on.

I've done plenty of WvW in HotM, since that was my main method of leveling up, so not sure if that helps me get exotic equipment or not. One of these days I'm going to have to just get on mumble and talk to yous all about it.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mine PROV and SFD daily so maybe you should huff some of this syrup with me mate :cool:

You're both right and wrong at the same time, IIRC. You can only mine multiple halls if each hall is at a different upgrade level

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

You're both right and wrong at the same time, IIRC. You can only mine multiple halls if each hall is at a different upgrade level

That's weird af

Merry Christmas thread!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Merry Christmas all.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
SFD is lvl 42 unless you mean the node itself.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah afaik it's some poo poo to do with the tier of the node upgrades

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Just queued with Goons for some spvp while at 500 ping because my parents' internet sucks.

Managed to win five games in a row to gain eight pips, tiering up twice.

thanks and god bless, and merry christmas everyone

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

Just queued with Goons for some spvp while at 500 ping because my parents' internet sucks.

Managed to win five games in a row to gain eight pips, tiering up twice.

thanks and god bless, and merry christmas everyone

Which team did you guys use

Aug 24, 2011

Visidan posted:

Which team did you guys use

they didnt have one but i made one for the last 2 games (all the other teams will have RATING DECAY™ and are bad to use)

Aug 24, 2011

a condi ranger tried to kill my condi immune revenant

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Have at it SFD, two skins for the price of one, so cheap.

Aug 24, 2011

wow i can afford 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Happy Christmas Goons of both stripes!

• Locked thread