Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I read a thread where the OP's husband claimed an allergy to all fresh fruits and vegetables to justify only eating out and not cooking at home

And he'd flip the gently caress out and leave the room if someone was eating fruit near him because of how "dangerous" it was.

Any and all fast food was shockingly fine for him though.

The thread is infuriating because it starts in May, people are screaming at the OP to stop eating fast food 5x a week and cut out deli meats, someone actually makes an effort post about her lifestyle puts her at serious risk of gestational diabetes and then 8 months later this gem emerges

Blue Story posted:

Hi! Dropping in to mention that it is great that this thread is in GWS now, as I was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week. Which means that I can't eat the vast majority of fast food and froofy sandwiches anymore. No more juice, no more massive amounts of apples, no more massive amounts of bread and pasta products. No more potatoes or rice. Any lazy low-carb recipes are appreciated! By low carb I mean based on my blood sugar measurements last week I need to be under 40 carbs per meal to keep my glucose level below 120 an hour after eating, which is what the nurse instructed. I'm already eating roasted brussel sprouts and mushrooms for dinner.

There have been other non-food updates but I suppose I should save those for more appropriate forums?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
The thread is a crazy ride, and keeps getting moved around the forums (its in BSS now) but the gist of it is two broken adults with no self-control spend $1000s a month on fast food, star wars toys, extra luxuries etc. all while the wife being pregnant after they just bought a new house because the apartment was running out of room to store the husband's star wars collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

If you enjoy crazy train wreck threads, check this poo poo out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444416&pagenumber=1

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Secret Spoon posted:

If you enjoy crazy train wreck threads, check this poo poo out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444416&pagenumber=1

Ummmmmmmm. I read the OP. That's as far as I can go.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

Its soooo goood. Just read Ugly noodles posts. Its like looking behind the curtain at utter insanity.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Haha, naah. I just get a bit flushed and blotchy, no swelling. Bring on the lobster.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

A Man and his dog posted:

It is one of the better threads we've had; I think most of the original illustrations have been e-lost

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

It is one of the better threads we've had; I think most of the original illustrations have been e-lost

They are all gone, she used her exes server to host the photos. Unless some benevolent goon held on to them, they are gone.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Did my first close at the new place last night and the person training me in was lazy and sloppy as gently caress. I was Not Okay with how we left that store at the end of the night. Also she was slurring her words a bit after dinner rush. She kept telling me not to clean things. Didn't mop the walk in, pull out the tables, or properly clean the steam table. Everything was half assed and she had us shut down the cold table and work out of bins at 7pm so it was awkward and slow to make everything for the rest of the night. Every time I cleaned up something she insisted that I leave it unused and work around it until the end of shift. It was really unpleasant. It wasn't anything that that I would consider a food safety hazard but it was just lazy. All to save less than ten minutes of dishes at the end of the night.

I think I know who I'm replacing. Always a wonderful feeling. :rolleyes:

Edit: to be more descriptive, we had all of the dishes done 15 minutes before close. O.o it was so weird

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 24, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao who tells people not to clean or do side work?!?

That's some good poo poo.

Noooo I have to work at 4!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
My boss got me a bb8 sphero for Christmas!

Did I mention that basically all I did was learn Excel? If anyone's not 100% in love with this life, it's not that hard to get out.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Haha, naah. I just get a bit flushed and blotchy, no swelling. Bring on the lobster.

I have a reaction to oysters, handily treated with Benadryl.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Willie Tomg posted:

I like both berkinstocks and crocs.

Crocs plus insoles are great for that feeling like wearing slippers. Crocs are good if you walk a whole lot. Crocs are bad because Foot Sweat is an element unto itself which you will realize when The Rashes start. Your feet will develop a tolerance, in due time. They have a very short shelf life though, I walked my last late pair into paper thinnness after four months. I bought another after a while because the price was right considering the life they gave me, but buyer beware.

Berkies and their concordant insoles are like a trustfall for your feet that just keeps going. Berkies (especially with the cork insole) are great for standing a whole lot. However! The Berkie Callous (on the top of your foot) is a real thing that will hurt like a motherfucker until it conditions itself after the second week or so. Breaking in a pair of berkies is a mutual proposition.

Between the two, birkenstocks have the better tread to them. I like the alpros! The tops of my feet do not like the alpros, but gently caress 'em!

I did crocs for my time in the bakery, but for line work where you've got to worry about hot oil splashes and people walking on your heels, I'd go with Red Wings.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:ughh:

If you can't take scalding hot oil burning your feet you don't belong in the kitchen!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If you know there's scalding oil and you don't simply cover your feet I don't know what to tell you. Avoidable second and third degree burns don't make you better in BOH.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Who the gently caress gets scalding hot oil/stock/etc. on their feet? Jesus loving Christ, you suck at your job at that point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I work front of household and like to think I'm at least halfway competent at my job and have spilled on my feet often enough that I wouldn't wear crocks for pure annoyence factor. (Also i'm pretty sure I'd get fired if I wore crocks where customers could see).

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I work front of household and like to think I'm at least halfway competent at my job and have spilled on my feet often enough that I wouldn't wear crocks for pure annoyence factor. (Also i'm pretty sure I'd get fired if I wore crocks where customers could see).

I wear vented crocs and haven't spilled hot poo poo on my feet in the past 3 years. Just slap a sheet pan between you and the Hot Thing. Congratulations, you can now wear vented shoes.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Who the gently caress gets scalding hot oil/stock/etc. on their feet? Jesus loving Christ, you suck at your job at that point.

Two years ago, only an hour into a Saturday shift, I slipped and fell in front of the fryer (combination of torn mat and grease on the floor). No, I wasn't running, because I'm not a loving moron. Or maybe I am. It left some interesting scars, though, which is a weird sort of bonus.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

(not actually a chef)

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
YOU KNOW WHAT IT'S TIME FOR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFCekWiUGE

Merry loving Christmas.

e: Also for all the screaming and poo poo, she really probably should've knocked herself out with the way her head hits.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Speaking of which, I really need to get some floor mats for the kitchen of a club I'm part of. We have mats for the dishroom and the stoves but people love to spill coffee and stuff in the spots where there aren't mats, and our tile is slippery as hell. Are the thick rubber mats with holes pretty much the go-to option? Was hoping there'd be something a little lighter as I'm the guy who'll have to drag them outside all the time to clean & mop.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Just wondering if you guys have seen patrons put half-used sugar packets back into sugar caddies. It completely confuses me. Are they saving it for their next visit? Are they testing to see if the waitstaff actually refill/clean the caddies? Are they just completely oblivious?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Just wondering if you guys have seen patrons put half-used sugar packets back into sugar caddies. It completely confuses me. Are they saving it for their next visit? Are they testing to see if the waitstaff actually refill/clean the caddies? Are they just completely oblivious?

I would guess that they are not sure where to put it and default to putting it back where they got it from. :shrug:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
There's barely any sugar in a packet as it is, why would you use only part of it?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

idiotsavant posted:

Speaking of which, I really need to get some floor mats for the kitchen of a club I'm part of. We have mats for the dishroom and the stoves but people love to spill coffee and stuff in the spots where there aren't mats, and our tile is slippery as hell. Are the thick rubber mats with holes pretty much the go-to option? Was hoping there'd be something a little lighter as I'm the guy who'll have to drag them outside all the time to clean & mop.

There is a thinner, lighter mat that also works. It isn't as good with grease and oil but for coffee spills it should be fine. Alternatively, could get a couple of the large, heavy duty entrance/exit door mats from your local hardware store.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Turkeybone posted:

YOU KNOW WHAT IT'S TIME FOR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFCekWiUGE

Merry loving Christmas.

e: Also for all the screaming and poo poo, she really probably should've knocked herself out with the way her head hits.

The girl and I went out for fondu last month and after the server did his "please don't eat raw pork or burn yourself" speech that psa came up in conversation. The server had never seen it but said he would look it up when they were slow. Halfway through the meal he swings by our table and just said "holy poo poo" and walked away.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Everybody in the industry enjoy your one day off today!

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

The girl and I went out for fondu last month and after the server did his "please don't eat raw pork or burn yourself" speech that psa came up in conversation. The server had never seen it but said he would look it up when they were slow. Halfway through the meal he swings by our table and just said "holy poo poo" and walked away.

Yeah that was not something I wanted to see while eating a pureed bean soup. Merry Christmas to my recently departed appetite.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

TastyLemonDrops posted:

SO loving ANNOYING

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

I got two! Then I'm on for seven, one of which is new years eve. :smith:

Pray for Mojo.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

(not actually a chef)

I mean, my name's on the menu, bot okay?

I also probably shouldn't drunk post, but its the industry thread, and I feel I'm allowed to do that here, to everyone amusement.

Also, don't wear vented Crocs. I do, but as I tell my employees, do as I say, not as I do!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Bussamove posted:

Pray for Mojo.

I only got one, then it's straight on through. I work until 1:00 am on New Year's Eve, but in trade got New Year's Day off. Thunderdome forever.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I mean, my name's on the menu, bot okay?

I also probably shouldn't drunk post, but its the industry thread, and I feel I'm allowed to do that here, to everyone amusement.

Also, don't wear vented Crocs. I do, but as I tell my employees, do as I say, not as I do!

people post sober?

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Mezzanon posted:

I did 23 hours between today and yesterday because my wife is out of town and I wanted the guys who have kids to be able to spend Christmas with their families. Payback time starts at 7:00 AM on January 1st for them though.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Bussamove posted:

Pray for Mojo.

Same. Apparently NYE is not as bad as the last three weeks, because while we do 800 or so it's almost all two tops, with occasional 3-4 tops for families with kids.

And we are open on New years day this year.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

Same. Apparently NYE is not as bad as the last three weeks, because while we do 800 or so it's almost all two tops, with occasional 3-4 tops for families with kids.

And we are open on New years day this year.

We're pretty much the polar opposite. The last few weeks weren't bad barring larger holiday parties every now and then, Wednesday was pretty hellish, and NYE is one of our biggest nights outside St. Patties. It's great money but I'll sleep like the dead afterwards.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Secret Spoon posted:

people post sober?

I don't, and then people take me seriously, and call me not a chef.

Well, that dude can suck on ym weiner, because I mane 3mil this year, an he didn't! Ha! Fucker!

Granted, my take home was 50k-ish, but I got my staff just over 100k in equipment and renovations, so I'm happy about that!

Merry Christmas, you poor bastards!

e: love everyone in this thread, even Man with Dog, because at the end of the day, why should I hate anyone?! I am a Good Person, and Happy Holiday or what the gently caress ever! For reals though, I hope you all have a good holiday time, sorry if you have to work today, but good fortune and whatnot! Hope you have nice bourbon, or a man/woman waiting for you, or anything really!

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 26, 2015

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
As a guy who has made it his life goal this year to be one of those guys with his name on a menu, please dont tell the thread how much you make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Simoom posted:

As a guy who has made it his life goal this year to be one of those guys with his name on a menu, please dont tell the thread how much you make

My wages get garnished by the Dept. of Ed. because I never paid my student loans, so in reality I only made 36k this year.

e: I think its important to know how much other people make. If my employees don't know I make 15/hr, how can they possibly know now much their labor means to the company?

I know thats kinda abstract, but yearly income shouldn't be something you hide, especially among us. I made 47600ish this year, I want you all to know that. If someone trusts you to run their drat restaurant, that's what you;re worth. That is our strength, do not resent it, embrace it.

I am drunk, assume I have everyone's best interest at heart.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 26, 2015

• Locked thread