Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Novolin posted:

vodka martinis get olive/pickle juice. gin martinis get vermouth.
If it's got vodka in it it's not a martini, but that's no reason to make it undrinkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

If it's got vodka in it it's not a martini, but that's no reason to make it undrinkable.

A martini with gin is called a martini, a martini with vodka is called a vodka martini. That's the official name for the drink.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Uh

A dry martini has dry vermouth and vodka or gin, with as little (to none) vermouth as requested. A dirty martini has some kind of brine added in depending on customer preference, be it olive juice, pickle juice, pickled jalapeņo juice, I've even done pickled beet juice (customer thought it was gross, I kinda liked it even though it was his idea.)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

tbh I just pour gin up to the top of a martini glass and tell myself I'm being classy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Nobody cares what you drink, goons.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Nobody cares what you drink, goons.

I'm drinking Budweiser because it came with a free Seahawks scarf. :3: Goooooo Seattle!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Mizufusion posted:

Like how to serve a shot neat, on the rocks. (Yes, people do ask for this. No, they do not realize this is what they're asking for.)

Haha that's genius. Any idea what that customer thinks "neat" means?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"Just the booze, nothing else" would be my guess.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Same goes for the people who ask for their liquor "straight up", which means literally nothing.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RNG posted:

Hot pickled sausage. Packaged the same way, but the juice smells like a coroner's office. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've seen a serve-your-own gallon jar of pickled pig's feet in a grocery store or corner store, I guess the south is slowly modernizing.

Always wanted to try pickled pig's feet, but not seen any anywhere I have lived.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Mizufusion posted:

Like how to serve a shot neat, on the rocks. (Yes, people do ask for this. No, they do not realize this is what they're asking for.)

It must be relatively common. My friends had an open bar with a super hot bartender at their wedding reception. I asked her for a neat bourbon and she immediately said "I know you asked for it neat but do you want rocks?"

E:

poop dood posted:

Same goes for the people who ask for their liquor "straight up", which means literally nothing.
According to wikipedia it does have a meaning:

"the term "straight up" (or "up") refers to an alcoholic drink that is shaken or stirred with ice and then strained and served without ice in a stemmed glass"

titties has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Dec 24, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

cash crab posted:

I'm drinking Budweiser because it came with a free Seahawks scarf. :3: Goooooo Seattle!

I feel I should bring :hawksin: to your attention.

(Stay out of TFF, you're too innocent and pure)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

titties posted:

It must be relatively common. My friends had an open bar with a super hot bartender at their wedding reception. I asked her for a neat bourbon and she immediately said "I know you asked for it neat but do you want rocks?"

E:

"the term "straight up" (or "up") refers to an alcoholic drink that is shaken or stirred with ice and then strained and served without ice in a stemmed glass"

Yeah "up" drinks refer to drinks in a stemmed glass, often a Martini as most people recognize the glass. "Straight up" is a joke where I work and when people ask for their booze or something that way and they're a regular I just give it to them in a chilled stemmed glass.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Scathach posted:

I see rice in the bottom and what looks to be fish-shaped imitation crab meat.
There are zero savory elements in this; it's a Japanese sweet called wagashi. The fish and other decorative elements are made from sweet white bean paste while the "water" is agar agar. It's good poo poo but overpriced because of how finicky and labor intensive it is for two bites of food.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLU4RGSWoDc

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

kinmik posted:

It's good poo poo but overpriced because of how finicky and labor intensive it is for two bites of food.

Japanese_food.txt

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Does agar have a taste of its own?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Brawnfire posted:

Does agar have a taste of its own?
Its vegetarian gelatin, plus or minus. I feel like 50 years from now there's going to be packs of kids on the vr-web making fun of molecular gastronomy like this thread does gelatin molds.

Kakairo posted:

So many fruitcakes come out super dry or bland-tasting. A good fruitcake is good, a bad fruitcake is something awful. :haw:
I like the idea of a solid food that can get you drunk when traditionally served but I have never come across a fruit cake in that form.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

zedprime posted:

I like the idea of a solid food that can get you drunk when traditionally served but I have never come across a fruit cake in that form.

When I was store security one of the managers baked a totally amazing, drunkening fruitcake. I believe it was a fluke.

Does anyone else's family make "fairy Jello" or whatever the hell it is? It's like chunks of jello and fruit and a ton of that crappy fake whipped cream stuff blended together.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Bitter Homes and Gardens

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scathach posted:

When I was store security one of the managers baked a totally amazing, drunkening fruitcake. I believe it was a fluke.

Does anyone else's family make "fairy Jello" or whatever the hell it is? It's like chunks of jello and fruit and a ton of that crappy fake whipped cream stuff blended together.

Someone brought fluff to the staff Christmas party. No jello, but cherry pie filling, crushed pineapple, and mandarin oranges in whipped topping.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dodecalypse posted:

... there is no way you don't know what a slotted spoon is

There's definitely a way.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

poop dood posted:

Isn't that just a more hipster way of saying 'neat'?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Samizdata posted:

Someone brought fluff to the staff Christmas party. No jello, but cherry pie filling, crushed pineapple, and mandarin oranges in whipped topping.

Isn't this ambrosia salad? ("salad")

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

this barely has anything to do with this thread, but Christmas was legit saved for me after I found out our store had the Wasabi Ginger Lays back in stock after 6 months. gently caress, I goddamn loved this flavor, I bought like 5 bags.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

She called it fluff. :shrug:

titties
May 10, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Samizdata posted:

She called it fluff. :shrug:

Yes, those are the same thing. Canned fruits, fruit jell-o, whipped cream, maybe nuts.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Isn't that just a more hipster way of saying 'neat'?

titties posted:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

titties posted:

Yes, those are the same thing. Canned fruits, fruit jell-o, whipped cream, maybe nuts.

Once again, NO jello.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Jello or not, still only barely qualifies as food.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

bringmyfishback posted:

Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Bitter Homes and Gardens

titties
May 10, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Once again, NO jello.

whatevs, still the same thing

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zedprime posted:

Its vegetarian gelatin, plus or minus. I feel like 50 years from now there's going to be packs of kids on the vr-web making fun of molecular gastronomy like this thread does gelatin molds.

I dunno, molecular gastronomy still makes edible food. It's weird, but tastes normal. It's not easy to make weird gelatin concoctions taste good, especially when they incorporate savory components or use aspic.

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

Scathach posted:

My Aunt always makes 'Pineapple Delight'. Red Jello, crushed pineapple, and Cool Whip mixed together with graham cracker crumbs on top. It tends to leave an odd oily film on the roof of your mouth. I imagine that there will be a salad bowl of it at tomorrow's dinner.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My mom always made some sort of Jello and sour cream mix with various fruit bits mixed in. I actually really loved it and should ask her how to make it for nostalgia's sake.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My mother mixes pineapple, fruit cocktail, pistachio pudding, and whipped cream together. It's pretty legit.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

You all make my mother's Christmas salad seem better than everything. (Carrots,raisins,nuts,apples, canned pineapple and cream(not whipped)...It's actually quite good).

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
My grandma used to make rum balls with Stroh's 80% alcohol Rum. She was really worried about their flammability, so we could only eat them away from candles and the fireplace.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Eponine posted:

My grandma used to make rum balls with Stroh's 80% alcohol Rum. She was really worried about their flammability, so we could only eat them away from candles and the fireplace.

That is really cute. :kimchi:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

Molecular gastronomy is already becoming a dirty word to foodies and chefs and similar so I'd only give it a few years until it's mostly relegated to jokes. It's a thing that can be done interestingly and well but I'd say the majority of the time it's definitely gimmicky, mostly because there are way too many people attempting it who don't have the exact combo of elite chef skills, understanding of cooking science and creativity to pull it off

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

titties posted:

E:

When I ask someone if they want their martini/manhattan "up or on the rocks", that's what I mean. When people say "up", they mean what Wikipedia describes. When a jackass orders "shot of Jack, straight up", they mean precisely jack poo poo, and it's satisfying though not exactly ingratiating to shake and strain a shot of Jack Daniels and serve it in a martini glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
People who drink jack are stupid anyway

• Locked thread