Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

VendaGoat posted:

No argument from me.

poo poo, it's even 65% off.

I don't think I want 65% off. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

no it's wordplay, "curious squid" is a pun on

uh

give me a moment

(word play is PLAYING with WORDS, not funny footnotes on things)

:goonsay:

You poo poo your pants in anger when the OED declared "literally" could be used outside of proper context, didn't you?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, a bunch of my friends recommended Discworld poo poo to me but i gave up after like 3 books because it was just boring mildly quirky tame humour and it got tiresome pretty quickly.

In fairness the first three are pretty bad.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
yeah, the early rincewind/unseen university-centric discworld books aren't very good, they're trite and mostly just poking fun at fantasy cliches that everyone's already poked fun at already

thankfully there's very little continuity between them and the rest of them so just start at guards guards and go from there

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
i liked the first 3, but the fourth one, mort, was the first really good one

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The first of the three Discworld games (which are all pastiches to begin with) dealt with the wordplay humor by regularly cutting away to a guy explaining things with a blackboard excitedly. I think he may have been a caricature of James Burke of Connections fame.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, Mort's great.

President Ark posted:

thankfully there's very little continuity between them and the rest of them so just start at guards guards and go from there
There is some continuity and I'd recommend paying at least some attention to it. I read Night Watch and at times felt like I was missing some information. It wasn't bad enough that I couldn't understand what was going on (more like feeling like missing some allusions and references to prior events) and certainly not enough to make me not enjoy the read.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I just started with the Sky Pratchett movies and Hogfather was pretty good.

Going Postal is good so far and actually more heartwarming than funny.

Good Xmas fodder

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I really like the Tiffany Aching novels. They're easily some of my favorites.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Who What Now posted:

Nac Mac Feegle would have made the Star Wars prequels good.

E: Holy poo poo, wee free lightsabers

RFC2324 has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Dec 25, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Choco1980 posted:

The first of the three Discworld games (which are all pastiches to begin with) dealt with the wordplay humor by regularly cutting away to a guy explaining things with a blackboard excitedly. I think he may have been a caricature of James Burke of Connections fame.

I think there's even a *COUGH*WORLDCHANGE*COUGH* moment in Equal Rites to set up the more continuous world setting of the following books at one point.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Who What Now posted:

Pratchett was made an honorary girl scout for those books :unsmith:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The author is dead right? Are there any series I shouldn't read, because they are never going to get a satisfying conclusion?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

The author is dead right? Are there any series I shouldn't read, because they are never going to get a satisfying conclusion?

There's nothing unfinished in the Discworld books like what you're thinking, all of them are self-contained events.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

the song of ice and fire

but the game of thrones will get a novelization though

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Turtlicious posted:

Each of the books is stand alone. It's just that you can group them into series if you feel like it, I mean the witches books all share characters and while I might be curious how they might be getting along now there's no dangling plot unresolved because of the nature of the way he wrote these insular books. They were great books and each had its own satisfactory conclusion.

It's not song of ice and fire where if george died right now then nobody would canonically be said to sit the iron throne "in the end".

Like HHGTTG, if adams had died after any book you wouldn't say "well, gently caress, what happens next? I've been robbed! This will never have a conclusion!" Or maybe you would. Maybe that's why his last book killed all earths everywhere forever, so stop asking me for sequels.

The point is there was literally no reason to wonder when the krikket aliens were going to make a move from the end of book 2. You wouldn't be saying "man if only he got to write that one about the krikket aliens there was so much foreshadowing!"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
He was sort of setting things up to continue after him, though. Moist was being groomed for administrating Anhk Morpork by Vetinari, Sam's Son was growing up in a cleaner, safer city, Tiffany was set to inherit Esme's place, that sort of thing.

Th more optimistic tones of his later books make it a lot easier just to leave it all off as 'They lived relatively happy ever after'.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

syscall girl posted:

I just started with the Sky Pratchett movies and Hogfather was pretty good.

Going Postal is good so far and actually more heartwarming than funny.

Good Xmas fodder

Monstrous Regiment is really good too, and fairly stand alone as all things go.

WarpedNaba posted:

He was sort of setting things up to continue after him, though. Moist was being groomed for administrating Anhk Morpork by Vetinari, Sam's Son was growing up in a cleaner, safer city, Tiffany was set to inherit Esme's place, that sort of thing.

Th more optimistic tones of his later books make it a lot easier just to leave it all off as 'They lived relatively happy ever after'.

I kind of liked the way things ended, not that he's gone but that it's easy to imagine the world still continuing given how the stories ended. There is no sense of unfinished story to tell.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I don't know why I check this thread anymore. Goddamn goons

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I don't think I want 65% off. :ohdear:

Relax it's probably the first half where you're just waiting for them to start hitting something good

Skipping that part is fine

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Soulex posted:

I don't know why I check this thread anymore. Goddamn goons

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here.

https://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld-reading-order/

Now continue with the funny pictures.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010

cats :argh:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

pussy snorkel?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

gently caress.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

I was going to say "Unplug the computer :smug:" but in this context that's actually really grim. :ohdear:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Control Shift Escape end Process explorer.exe

Don't you tell me what to do computer.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

President Ark posted:

I was going to say "Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

HAHAHAHA. I'm loving sharing this with the in laws

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

I thought it said 'Free wifi' for a moment, and it was mocking people with unsecured routers.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

It's like one of those mirrors pointed at another mirror.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
This thread

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Dickey Butts posted:

It's like one of those mirrors pointed at another mirror.

:pusheen:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
PYF Funny Pictures: No pictures, just chat about awful nerdy books

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Elias_Maluco posted:

PYF Funny Pictures: No pictures, just chat about awful nerdy books

I saw this with a caption that said, "Jesus checking if the Facebook photo has enough likes to save the sick child."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

My favourite from the days of rootkits and no virus protections:

Bonus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Blind Rasputin posted:

I saw this with a caption that said, "Jesus checking if the Facebook photo has enough likes to save the sick child."

I like how Our Lady is by His side...must be the viral marketing/social media guru.

• Locked thread