Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Photex
Apr 6, 2009

http://www.twitch.tv/photexmedia

ER-PCP rolls again, come make fun of my shootbutts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pooncha posted:

It would still be great if C-bill earnings were tweaked up some more. Getting only ~150k on a decent-good match, then comparing it to the costs of everything else, makes for a terrible grind. :smith:

Since a lot of MWO's appeal is tinkering with your darling robots, the fact that every `Mech is a costly investment kind of kills any motivation to play around instead of sticking to "safe" meta builds.

It gets a lot better the more you play. After a bit you develop a large cache of weapons and gear that you can swap out. After a month or so of semi regular non poopsock play you will have enough to try new poo poo out without bankrupting yourself.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Sard posted:

Target retention allows you to maintain a lock on someone with radar deprivation for only as long as the target lock bonus time is.

So you lose lock easier, but target retention works as normal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cyrano4747 posted:

It gets a lot better the more you play. After a bit you develop a large cache of weapons and gear that you can swap out. After a month or so of semi regular non poopsock play you will have enough to try new poo poo out without bankrupting yourself.

I earned 12 million in like two or three days, it's not that bad. Then I bought target deprivation or whatever so LRMs would stop locking on to me forever and it cost six million to put it on the mech. :suicide:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

How is the Marauder anyway? Does the model being really compact make up for the "PPC or bust" perks?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

There is only one that has really strong ppc quirks and that one does well with triple AC 5.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I like Marauders because they are very easy to kite and kill in a Shadowcat.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sarmhan posted:

How is the Marauder anyway? Does the model being really compact make up for the "PPC or bust" perks?

It's really good. I've never used PPCs on it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I kind of want to buy a better light mech, like one of those goofy looking humanoid ones I love shooting. Which one is goodest?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

So I kind of want to buy a better light mech, like one of those goofy looking humanoid ones I love shooting. Which one is goodest?

Go buy your urbanmech.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Go buy your urbanmech.

I have one. It has lasers.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

They call it the Arctic Cheater for a reason.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Skoll posted:

What should I put on it?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Skoll posted:

I run mine with 4 ER-Smalls, 2 SRM4, and ECM and it's like being an invisible god of pain. I rarely get less than 500 damage in it, and I am a T4 Bad.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Max armor (obviously), Prime torsos, ACH-C arms, whatever legs.

6 Small pulses, ECM, heatsinks.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

various cheeses posted:

6 Small pulses, ECM, heatsinks.

The Prime legs have very nice acceleration and deceleration quirks. That's a Shadowcat. Don't post tired, people. 6SPL is a better build than mine...but I like having the missiles.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 25, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nuebot posted:

Cicada 2b is very good with 5mpl, but you probably want a firestarter or a cheetah.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

various cheeses posted:

What does that even mean. I can buy more arms?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

Omnipods, and yes.

(clan omnimechs only of course)

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Omnimechs whole thing - as far as I have been informed second hand, correct me if i'm wrong - is that clan mechs aren't able to change engines out (or possibly some other internals), but can just buy parts(arms,torsos, legs etc) from other mechs in the same series. This sets hardpoints and quirks based on parts you're actually using, so its kind of an assemble your own mecha type deal.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TheParadigm posted:

Omnimechs whole thing - as far as I have been informed second hand, correct me if i'm wrong - is that clan mechs aren't able to change engines out (or possibly some other internals), but can just buy parts(arms,torsos, legs etc) from other mechs in the same series. This sets hardpoints and quirks based on parts you're actually using, so its kind of an assemble your own mecha type deal.

Yes, but you made it sound better than it ends up in MWO.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I've been liking Trebuchets recently. They go fast, work as faux scouts and light hunters. Decently fast, decently armored, its made me pull the trigger on branching towards Griffins. Both Mediums, though, not lights. Getting used to not having any left arm weapons is a bit wierd coming from the treb, but I can't complain about the missile hardpoints.

(If you're interested in the treb, ignore the 7k, it may be cheap but it has terrible weapon placement. The 7m is pricey, but it boats SRMs wonderfully due to that 25% missile cooldown, but has nice features stock. Doubles, endo, xl250, jumpjets. My preference leans towards the 3 energy/3srm or the 4 energy 2 srm, using xl 280-300 depending on whether I want a beagle or not.)

I think the obligatory answer is 'try a stormcrow prime since its on trial and then get one' though.

Skoll posted:

Just play with goons and don't pay attention to the grind and you'll be swimming in money before you know it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

So much these. I've been less about making a perfect robot lately, focusing instead on making a new model with without any more cbux thrown into them and I'm coming out ahead by the time I'm done with basic masteries. Playing inner sphere and without dumping loadsabucks into double sinks and expensive artemis launchers(this is a one-time purchase if you intend to move them around though, the upgrade itself is cheap) is making me money by the time I'm looking for a new mechs.

Once you have a few parts a new build isn't too bad. A ppc here or srm there adds up. Medium lasers are universal. A thing I picked up lately is the basic Smurfy page has a list of all the robots and what engines they can both take and come with along with cost.. Its handy for holding up the ones you're interested in next to each other, and doing 5 minutes of planning for looking at common equipment.

I'm kind of annoyed there aren't any xl325s I can rip out that aren't MC. For comparison, an XL250 starts at ~4 mil and an xl300 at just shy of 5 million. An expensive model might get you stuff you can rip out for your other mechastables.

My advice would be to make a shortlist of what you want to experiment with, and since speed is life in the light mechs, figure out the max or near max engine sizes that fit in what you want and look for cheap sources of it that come with a new robut.
Good example: Jenners go up to 300. Raven, spiders, firestarters don't. Ravens and firestarters both cap at 295, so a 275(+1 heatsink) to 295 engine can be shared around two entire lines of mechs.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 25, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I got an arctic cheetah, it's just so much fun being a tiny arbiter of death and annoyance. I might actually buy the other two models and get all the dumb upgrade for it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nuebot posted:

I got an arctic cheetah, it's just so much fun being a tiny arbiter of death and annoyance. I might actually buy the other two models and get all the dumb upgrade for it.

Picked one up yesterday too and yeah, I'm kinda having a blast with it. I love running around and shooting people's arms off and generally being an annoying gently caress.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Drone posted:

Picked one up yesterday too and yeah, I'm kinda having a blast with it. I love running around and shooting people's arms off and generally being an annoying gently caress.

I find either they try to ignore you and hope you go away, or they'll drop everything and just start spinning in circles to shoot you even if an assault is walking right up to them to shoot them in the back.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I find either they try to ignore you and hope you go away, or they'll drop everything and just start spinning in circles to shoot you even if an assault is walking right up to them to shoot them in the back.

I've managed to turn the entire enemy firing line around more than once by running behind them and just being annoying.

Just let your team know what you're doing so they can be ready to push and that's basically game over.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

My new favorite thing is just when the whole first lance is four of us little annoying dudes so we can just run up and rapidly pick the first guy we see apart. It's like a nature documentary when a bunch of ants just tear a beetle apart while its still alive, before it even knows whats going on. Midget squad is great.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
IMO the 6xSPL Arctic Cheetah is the best mech in the game for sheer fun. Do not be afraid to try insanely dangerous/cocky squawkery with it, in fact focus on doing just that because 90% of the time you will get away with it. The other 10% you'll learn from.

Rule #1: Do not engage Streakcrows.
Rule #2: Don't go against superior numbers (except for butt-coring pokes) unless there is a heavier friendly target sharing their attention.
Rule #3: Do absolutely whatever you want because, again, you will probably get away with it. Pretend you're roleplaying a Wall Street banker.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Menturian or stormcrow wolf packs with a raven or arctic cheetah for ecm are pretty funny because you can just core out assaults at the back in one pass.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nuebot posted:

You should. Maxing out the skills on mechs makes them a lot better. Doubly so if they hear up at all or go fast.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How are Crabs? I love them in TT and have been tempted to grab one.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Devorum posted:

Itchy

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Devorum posted:

Underquirked.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Devorum posted:

As always, thebeef has an answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afo3kMRV2ms

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Devorum posted:

I'm thoroughly average at mechs according to stats and somehow have triple the rating with them as anything else, so unless I really gel with them they're probably unusually great. Small size, good forward hitboxes, the weapons are kinda low but the small stature makes up for it. I like to run one with a standard engine and just six medium lasers, it keeps on trucking through damage while beating people senseless with the claws.

Plus they look excellent.

Sard fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 25, 2015

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Devorum posted:

I went with the crab and it's OK. It doesn't have good quirks. But it's a decent jack of all trades mech. It's good at alot an amazing at nothing. I would recommend the 27b for extra fire power or the 27sl for speed and thrusters.

Edit: also the 27 is ok in and of it self. It has double AMS and a flat 10% heat cool down. So it's a good third of you want to go elite with the crab. Don't get the 20. It's the worst of the 4

hey welcome to the show! fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 25, 2015

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
So 265t for 4 mechs gives me a FS9-S TDR-9SE TDR-5SS and AS7-S.
I think I will roll a few CW although not having a larger team may skew the results with the Atlas.
TCAF is fun to drop with Liao side even if those Russians don't speak any English.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So that's a resounding yes, then? They're not terribly expensive compared to the Timberwolves I've been eyeing. But as OP as I know Timbers are...they don't really excite me.

vvv Also my reaction.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 25, 2015

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

!@#$ crabs go 124kmph? or did

i know what my next mech is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

teepo posted:

!@#$ crabs go 124kmph? or did

i know what my next mech is

I think that's just the -20 variant.

So what's peoples opinion on the Blackjack? It's a little slow but otherwise it looks good on paper. How are XL engines in it?

• Locked thread