Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Emperor Palpatine is not stilted or flat.

There are two exceptions in the prequels, Ian McDiarmid being one of them, Ewan McGregor being the other. George Lucas is notoriously not an actor's director, and the prequels showcase this.

EDIT: And McDiarmid swings into wild overcompensation once Palpatine is revealed as an evil Sith overlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like that changed with Empire. If you watch the unaltered Star Wars almost all the starship shots have very basic movement because they were just starting with motion control. Empire you actually see the Falcon do all sorts of cool poo poo because they figured out how to make ships spin around and bank and turn quickly, and by Jedi they can basically do anything.

One of the reasons I think new designs would have helped is that the first Star Wars is so heavily borrowing from WWII movies, and the X Wings are fighters and the Y Wings are bombers and so on. There's a very specific "story" to the trench run which is why it's so amazing. Having that kind of differentiation between ships helps you tell that story.

I just feel there is some difference in feel of the fights, maybe it's the cinematography. There's hardly any speed.
True about the lack of different ships.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phylodox posted:

There are two exceptions in the prequels, Ian McDiarmid being one of them, Ewan McGregor being the other. George Lucas is notoriously not an actor's director, and the prequels showcase this.

EDIT: And McDiarmid swings into wild overcompensation once Palpatine is revealed as an evil Sith overlord.

Ok so it's not true that all the characters are stilted and flat.

Anyways jar jar isn't stilted, neither is Yoda. Padme and Mace certainly are but that's who their characters are.

Edit

I'm tired of defending the pt. They are poo poo movies that everyone should hate and Lucas is Satan let's move on.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 25, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Leading rebellions is all Leia knows, like how smuggling is all Han knows. The Ben situation sent both of them back to immerse themselves in a struggle that they were at least familiar with. In that sense, his attempt to imitate the past without understanding it has impelled others to repeat the past without learning from it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The Resistance all use X-wings because they're cosplaying Rebels, just like Leia returned to terrorism and Han to smuggling to deal with their estranged son.

The other big issue is that this is a postmodern star war. The majority of the population isn't invested in the conflict. ANH had "the rebellion against the Empire", TFA has "the Resistance." Resistance to what? Well, it sounds good, and historically resonant. To this extent, the ST will probably draw much more from the well of the present, as Star Wars always has.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Effectronica posted:

The Resistance all use X-wings because they're cosplaying Rebels, just like Leia returned to terrorism and Han to smuggling to deal with their estranged son.

The other big issue is that this is a postmodern star war. The majority of the population isn't invested in the conflict. ANH had "the rebellion against the Empire", TFA has "the Resistance." Resistance to what? Well, it sounds good, and historically resonant. To this extent, the ST will probably draw much more from the well of the present, as Star Wars always has.

The extent of the First Order's actual holdings are unclear, but their ambitions are certainly little-i imperial, not just big-I Imperial. Their deal seems to be attacking systems at will in order to take what they want by force. But at present they appear small (they only had one star destroyer), so yeah, we're talking about, for once, a war that isn't galaxy-wide.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

teagone posted:

That's a good reading. For the last 30 years she's been stressed as hell. I guess that's equivalent to like maybe a decade's worth of coke.

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

She looks like a 59 year old woman. Because she's 59 years old. And hasn't had fuckloads of plastic surgery. God drat. Have you ever met a 60 year old woman?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

She looks like a 59 year old woman. Because she's 59 years old. And hasn't had fuckloads of plastic surgery. God drat. Have you ever met a 60 year old woman?

Carrie Fisher has had loads of drug problems though, including an addiction to cocaine.

Her memoir:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm glad of all these star wars.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

My mom is around that age, so yes? We're Filipino though, so she looks fairly young for her age. Them asian genes and whatnot. Carrie Fisher is crazy and I love her. She's been very open about her drug abuse. She's even open enough about it to make jokes: https://twitter.com/carrieffisher/status/256120817811865600 Sorry if my offhand comment offended you. I'm personally happy to have her back in the trilogy and can't wait for her inevitable reunion with Luke :3:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

He's not overcompensating. Once the Jedi know he's a Sith Lord, anything they try against him work into his plans. He can afford to be as flamboyantly evil as he wants.

e: Is the FO a branch-off of the Empire? Is it possible we'll have some dramatic moment where an Imperial remnant saves the day because they too dislike the FO and want them shut down in a galactic/military version of "Knock it off, you're making us look bad"?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 25, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

zen death robot posted:

Starkiller Base was thier big threat to the republic and by wiping out the capital (this is one thing where JJ should have slowed the pace down a bit to lend some gravity to this moment) pretty much took it out as a functioning government. I'm guessing Ep 8 will take place a few years later when the First Order has mostly taken back what was the original Empirial territory and is the main power in the galaxy. This means lots more conscripts and more resources to build destroyers.

True. And it would sort of echo The Phantom Menace in that the the eventual galaxy-spanning threat was still small-time at the time.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Bongo Bill posted:

The extent of the First Order's actual holdings are unclear, but their ambitions are certainly little-i imperial, not just big-I Imperial. Their deal seems to be attacking systems at will in order to take what they want by force. But at present they appear small (they only had one star destroyer), so yeah, we're talking about, for once, a war that isn't galaxy-wide.

There were a few other star destroyers around Starkiller in the first establishing shot of it actually as I recall. Though I'm guessing if they were around during the actual attack they stayed out of things because shooting at relatively itty-bitty X-Wings down in the atmosphere would have been more likely to help the Resistance by hitting the target area than blow up enough X-Wings.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I wish we got a better picture of society at large in general, like the most we get is that shot from the planet as it's about to get exploded

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

turtlecrunch posted:

Carrie Fisher has had loads of drug problems though, including an addiction to cocaine.

Her memoir:

Yeah, I've read it, it rules.

Regardless, she absolutely does not look more old or haggard than any other normal 60 year old woman. You don't need a justification for Leia looking old. She's old. Same age as Isabella Rossellini. Harrison Ford is 73, I haven't seen a single post about trying to figure out some in-universe explanation for why he looks like he does.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

He's not overcompensating. Once the Jedi know he's a Sith Lord, anything they try against him work into his plans. He can afford to be as flamboyantly evil as he wants.

He was a cackling villain in Return of the Jedi, about as extravagantly evil as you can get, but it straddled the line between space-opera and soap-opera nicely. His performance in Revenge of the Sith felt like a much less assured, experienced actor's parody of that character.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I assume the crawl on Ep8 is going to cover the boring details like: General Leia Organa's Resistance has won a hollow victory against the First Order. Though the Resistance itself was spared from the dreadnought Starkiller's assault, the planets of their political and economic allies have been destroyed. Now without broader support, the Resistance is scraping together its remaining loyal troops in the remote _____ system.

Only more poetic than that.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Regardless, she absolutely does not look more old or haggard than any other normal 60 year old woman. You don't need a justification for Leia looking old. She's old. Same age as Isabella Rossellini. Harrison Ford is 73, I haven't seen a single post about trying to figure out some in-universe explanation for why he looks like he does.

Tbh her appearance did not bother me at all, just the change in her voice, and that's mostly because I watched the OT right before I went to see TFA the first time, and of course Harrison Ford still sounds the same.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

teagone posted:

My mom is around that age, so yes? We're Filipino though, so she looks fairly young for her age. Them asian genes and whatnot. Carrie Fisher is crazy and I love her. She's been very open about her drug abuse. She's even open enough about it to make jokes: https://twitter.com/carrieffisher/status/256120817811865600 Sorry if my offhand comment offended you. I'm personally happy to have her back in the trilogy and can't wait for her inevitable reunion with Luke :3:

I'm not responding to you so much as zoux and Frackie Robinson and the bullshit I'm seeing on Facebook these days. Sorry to catch you in the crossfire.

besides we all know that filipino don't crack... ino.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill both look better than they have in years, possibly decades. Star Wars looks good on them.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Harrison Ford is 73, I haven't seen a single post about trying to figure out some in-universe explanation for why he looks like he does.
the entire movie i was going "did they do some sort of cgi for han solo? harrison ford can't actually move like this."

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Wookies are parasitic on life force and that's why Chewie isn't all old, though I think he has a few gray hairs.
Btw when I rewatched the PT Chewie was in that too so I'm 99% this is accurate in-universe. Chewie has now happily moved on to his new victim, Rey.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

And hasn't had fuckloads of plastic surgery.

Haha what

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

cams posted:

the entire movie i was going "did they do some sort of cgi for han solo? harrison ford can't actually move like this."

I don't think I've seen him enjoy the poo poo out of himself in a role like that since The Fugitive in 93. And most of that was on a broken leg, to boot.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I imagine it's hard to be a grumpy old cuss around John Boyega.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

He was a cackling villain in Return of the Jedi, about as extravagantly evil as you can get, but it straddled the line between space-opera and soap-opera nicely. His performance in Revenge of the Sith felt like a much less assured, experienced actor's parody of that character.

I dispute that he's a cackling villain in Return, especially compared to how he is in Revenge. There's a different tone to his demeanor in the two movies; in Revenge his cackling is mocking and celebratory: no longer does he need to put up a :geno: I am just a chancellor in a troubling situation, don't mind me :geno: act and let his Evil Flag fly. In Return, he's much more calm and confident, chuckling more out of amusement that these lesser folks could possibly defeat him and his Empire.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm not responding to you so much as zoux and Frackie Robinson and the bullshit I'm seeing on Facebook these days. Sorry to catch you in the crossfire.

besides we all know that filipino don't crack... ino.

I meant more her voice and personality than how she looked, just the way the character has aged in general

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This isn't some "unfair standards to women" bullshit, some people live rougher lives or age worse than others. My mom is her age and she looks 10 years (and sounds 30 years) younger than Fisher.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mark has obviously, but I'm pretty sure Carrie Fisher is au naturel. She had a deeper voice when she was younger, and it (her voice) hasn't aged well. But that just adds to her character, both in film and in the public eye. I think she smoked a lot.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

zen death robot posted:

I get the feeling that they probably aren't going to totally resolve the First Order being a threat in Ep 9. If Marvel can crank out movies every year then Star Wars isn't gonna quit the mainstream saga after just 2 more sequels.

I feel they are. That's how the Star Wars movies have worked, and they can just invent some poo poo to make up a 4T and have additional interquels/gaidens to do in between.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sure when 600 years old I reach, look as good, I will not.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

teagone posted:

Mark has obviously, but I'm pretty sure Carrie Fisher is au naturel.

She cant move her lips

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy0QxRNhvO0

edit: skip to 4:56

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 25, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Augus posted:

That would be Captain Phasma, actually. Except she actually accomplished less than Boba did.
Although I do hear she is signed on for the other movies so maybe she will be vindicated.

I don't think so. Phasma's even more of a non-entity than Fett was.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jewel Repetition posted:

I don't think so. Phasma's even more of a non-entity than Fett was.

The character who gets an entire scene where she berates the heroes while held at gunpoint for not understanding what the First Order is trying to accomplish, and serves as the culmination of Finn's workplace shooter arc? Obviously a nonentity on the scale of General Tagge.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's not about how she looks. Carrie Fisher's voice and ability to speak have been impacted by her substance abuse. Her speech pattern is completely different from even the films she did in the 80s. You can try to make this into a sexist attack on her but that's really not what this is about. I know plenty of women Fisher's age and they don't sound like they are doing a Bill Cosby impression.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

He's much more careful in Revenge of the Sith. When he tells Anakin that the Dark Side is a path to "many abilities some consider to be unnatural" he very slowly selects each word. He's almost likable.

By the time of Return of the Jedi there's no point- even his entire provocation of Luke is built on being loathsome, on tempting him to strike him down. The facade has fallen.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Effectronica posted:

The character who gets an entire scene where she berates the heroes while held at gunpoint for not understanding what the First Order is trying to accomplish, and serves as the culmination of Finn's workplace shooter arc? Obviously a nonentity on the scale of General Tagge.

Makes sense. I had my expectations high too. Blame marketing?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Wild Horses posted:

Makes sense. I had my expectations high too. Blame marketing?

Beautiful little sarcasm, but don't do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Effectronica posted:

Beautiful little sarcasm, but don't do it again.

wait what just happened

• Locked thread