Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Sweet. Let me know -- I only have it installed in round headlamp housings, so I don't know what the effect will be in a square one. Works great in mine though.

After riding with them for a while, I find that the low beam is about equal to a halogen lamp on low, but the high beam is way better than either. Light up signs half a mile down the road, turn a dark country road into day.

Got some fuses, fixed my poo poo, took it for a little night ride.

The good news is, I can see everything now. EVERYTHING. The beam is both long and wide, and the focus patch is even and bright (though the edges are a bit raggy - can't complain though)

The less good news is the peripheral cast is probably a bit too wide; when the focus is MOT compliant (ie appearing just below and to the left of the centre of the light when cast at a wall 4m away) the amount of light going above that is still enough to (I imagine) be annoying to other road users, and the sideways cast sits very high as well. I'm sure I blinded more than one pedestrian going round a corner while I was out.

I've just moved it downwards a bit for now, I'll keep fiddling with it over the next few weeks to find a balance between optimum lighting for me and minimum irritation for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Alpinestars Andes winter pants are incredible. :swoon:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-BOX-...VVVhug-&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-BOX-...N1VhuhA&vxp=mtr

How do the Quantum-J or Astro-IQ compare to the US Arais?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 24, 2015

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1397

$90

:laffo:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I looked for lowering pegs for the S1000XR, and best ones I could find were these:
http://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1200GSW.html

$210 + shipping.

Ordered a $20 brick of aluminum to cut my own instead, because gently caress that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I've been using an XS Scorpion since I crashed the poo poo out of my Arai Vector 2 a couple of years ago. It was time.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I've been using an XS Scorpion since I crashed the poo poo out of my Arai Vector 2 a couple of years ago. It was time.

I have had the same Scorpion exo 1100 for like seven years, it's all kinds of tattered. Hasn't smacked concrete yet, though. Also have a Shoei RF1100 which sees very little use, it just doesn't have that "helmet you've had since you were like 16" feeling/smell/etc to it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The EPS lining in helmets degrades over time due to moisture, heat and age, you really shouldn't be wearing a seven year old helmet.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, 5 years max is the most common number I've heard. Even if you're not using it (I think?). That's why they come with a date code.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Speaking of helmets I am shopping around to buy a new one, my current one is a Scorpion EXO 1100 XL and it fits OK but if I wear it for anything more than an hour I get a pressure mark on my forehead. I went to a cyclegear and tried some of their helmets and the Shoei GT-Air L was pretty must the best fitting helmet I have ever worn.

Besides the air any other similarly shaped helmets I should look out for?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Gotcha, guess I'll start using the newer Shoei then. :V

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Gotcha, guess I'll start using the newer Shoei then. :V

You don't have to ditch the Scorpion permanently. Just switch to the Shoei on days you plan on crashing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Helmet cam under the tree :toot:

Nothing known here since I've never mentioned a specific model to anyone, but any camera is better than no camera for catching rear end in a top hat drivers at nearly killing me. Looking forward to hyperlapsing the local hill roads when the weather clears! :neckbeard:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ElMaligno posted:

Speaking of helmets I am shopping around to buy a new one, my current one is a Scorpion EXO 1100 XL and it fits OK but if I wear it for anything more than an hour I get a pressure mark on my forehead. I went to a cyclegear and tried some of their helmets and the Shoei GT-Air L was pretty must the best fitting helmet I have ever worn.

Besides the air any other similarly shaped helmets I should look out for?

We have the same shaped head! Had a small EXO400 as my first full face, and yeah, same forehead pressure. Got an RF1100 and it instantly felt like a well worn glove on my noggin.

So you be cross shopping in the Shoei section. :v:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

M42 posted:

Yeah, 5 years max is the most common number I've heard. Even if you're not using it (I think?). That's why they come with a date code.

It's cool and good that the local motorcycle clearance store is selling shitloads of Shark S800 helmets with 2005 manufacturing dates. They're $80.

Also I found some Alpinestars Oxygen Air pants under the tree this morning. Alriiiiiiight.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The 5 years guideline gets pretty vague if they're stored indoors, as that timeframe is assuming you're taking it on and off, using it in direct sunlight, around gas fumes, etc. etc., but from what I've read, seven years is the max if it hasn't been used.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's the word on those armoured denim pants?

Are they passable as decent jeans when I get off my bike at my destination?

Any recommendations? Someone is asking for a late Christmas wishlist.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ante posted:

What's the word on those armoured denim pants?

Are they passable as decent jeans when I get off my bike at my destination?

Any recommendations? Someone is asking for a late Christmas wishlist.

Just get the Alpinestars Andes pants. :swoon: drat they look good. Feel good too.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I have some rev'it jeans that are ok. Sizing is huge on them. Combine that with their thickness and padding, and they are noticeably bulkier than any other pair of pants I own. Better than nothing if you don't want Power Ranger pants.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The one true answer is always aerostitch

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

The one true answer is always aerostitch

Is the question, "how do I dress like a janitor while riding?"

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Chris Knight posted:

We have the same shaped head! Had a small EXO400 as my first full face, and yeah, same forehead pressure. Got an RF1100 and it instantly felt like a well worn glove on my noggin.

So you be cross shopping in the Shoei section. :v:

Seems like the RF-1200 will be my next helmet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Is the question, "how do I dress like a janitor while riding?"

That question is only asked by those who have not come to terms with the fact that motorcycles only pull middle aged white men looking to relieve their mid life crisis by proxy.

All normal humans think motorcycles and motorcyclists are dumb. Which is a good and right Opinion.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

That question is only asked by those who have not come to terms with the fact that motorcycles only pull middle aged white men looking to relieve their mid life crisis by proxy.

All normal humans think motorcycles and motorcyclists are dumb. Which is a good and right Opinion.

Yeah.... :sigh:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
which means more bieks for us.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's a Xmas miracle!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Did somebody say motorcycle? :heysexy:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

builds character posted:

Did somebody say motorcycle? :heysexy:

Is that a custom exhaust?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
*points* I had one of those when I was younger! *looks wistfully at the word SUZUKI painted on the side* Hey, I got in so much trouble! Now they're just too dangerous for me, I will kill myself immediately! *nervous chuckle* *keeps staring at you until you disappear over the horizon*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

Hey now. Motorcycles only attract old men, it's true. But sexy motorcycle gear attracts everyone.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Hey now. Motorcycles only attract old men, it's true. But sexy motorcycle gear attracts everyone.

Pffft, I started riding when I was a teenager. :colbert:

KARMA! posted:

*points* I had one of those when I was younger! *looks wistfully at the word SUZUKI painted on the side* Hey, I got in so much trouble! Now they're just too dangerous for me, I will kill myself immediately! *nervous chuckle* *keeps staring at you until you disappear over the horizon*

This is so real, it hurts to read.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
K, so assuming I don't want to look like a janitor if I try and ride to work or friends' houses or whatever and then chill out without needing to bring a change or pants, how do these look:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-d1-evo-jeans
with http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-kit-j-e1-knee-guards

I've got a full leather suit, but it's a huge pain in the rear end and makes me avoid quick trips, which is exactly what I don't want.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ante posted:

K, so assuming I don't want to look like a janitor if I try and ride to work or friends' houses or whatever and then chill out without needing to bring a change or pants, how do these look:

I've got a full leather suit, but it's a huge pain in the rear end and makes me avoid quick trips, which is exactly what I don't want.

I dunno how those fit, but I have some Dainese Bonneville jeans and they're reasonably understated and fairly comfortable. I wear them out and people don't usually know in wearing motorcycle jeans if I don't call attention to it. They also fit pretty much like normal jeans, outside of the waist sizing being a little off.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

ante posted:

If you wanna take the cheaper route like me, Draggin Jeans are nearly half that price for a pair. I also use Icon Knee Sliders as knee protection over whatever I may happen to wear, I just have one pair of those and a whole bunch of Draggin Jeans (which fit like tents, so fair warning - I'm a 29W 32L and the only things that remotely fit me were their skinny jeans).

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

ante posted:

D1 EVOs are great jeans. Tied with Alpinestars Oscar Charlies for my favorite riding jean. They are a slim/tapered cut (not skinny though). They're pretty similar to a 511. You can skip the knee armor unless it makes you feel better and are legitimately going to wear it every time you get on the bike. The proshape knee armor in the D1 EVOs is CE1.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Cool, thanks for the tips, all.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
So, dumb question. I passed my MSF and am buying gear, first buy is an Shoei RF-1200. Is the pinlock required to keep the visor from fogging up or is this a thing that takes care of itself when you're riding? I'd like to ride with sunglasses and keep the clear visor, without the pinlock.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

A Loud Fart posted:

Is the pinlock required to keep the visor from fogging up
Yes. If you're not using a pinlock lens your faceshield is going to fog to hell and back - especially in the colder months.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jfc no you don't need a pinlock. I was riding in 32 degree weather with the chinguard on, no breath deflector, and it was fine. Crack the helmet if you're at a stop, the RF1200 has a detent for that iirc, and snap it shut once you're doing more than 5mph.

Oh and avoid panting on the visor and you're fine. People talk about all kinds of bullshit with dish soap and blah blah blah and it's just not that big a deal. Crack the visor preventatively and ride on.

Also pinlocks cause halos and blurring like crazy, so if you've got good vision it's going to drive you nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Chichevache posted:

Just get the Alpinestars Andes pants. :swoon: drat they look good. Feel good too.

Been looking at these, how are they in the cold?