Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My local game shop was telling me that they've had their entire stock of Codenames sold within 24 hours of receiving. I just happen to get there when they had a few left. Can't wait to play with the family tomorrow and friends during the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Boxing day sales in Canada are coming up and I'm thinking about getting Orleans and Voyages of Marco Polo. Are both solid at 2 players? This thread seems to like Orleans but I haven't read much about Marco Polo. Thoughts?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Having played a few rounds of the new Ascension sets after not playing for a couple of years, it seems like mechana construct engines continue to rule the roost unequivocally, huh? Monster-slaying decks can win if they play really aggressive and end the game quick, but they're a lot more reliant on getting the right draws in the center row.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Yas posted:

Boxing day sales in Canada are coming up and I'm thinking about getting Orleans and Voyages of Marco Polo. Are both solid at 2 players? This thread seems to like Orleans but I haven't read much about Marco Polo. Thoughts?

Both games own bones. Since both are pretty non-confrontational economic euros, I can't imagine that they'd be all that different at 2 players. Both have setup changes to try to limit the resources a little bit at lower player counts. Because of the crazy character powers in Marco Polo, the game feel probably changes more with differing player counts than in Orleans.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Oh, one more Rex question: should I treat the Betrayal cards as default, or gimmick?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Lichtenstein posted:

Oh, one more Rex question: should I treat the Betrayal cards as default, or gimmick?

Default. They work really nicely in giving ulterior motives

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played some Archipelago, and really liked it even just with two players. I haven't really played anything like it before. With two players though, its definitely less of a coop - uprising was never a threat, so we were just playing against each other entirely.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Blood Rage sounds neat but the Kickstarter exclusive nonsense is a huge turnoff.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Are they gonna release the exclusives later? Or is everyone else just poo poo out of luck?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

burger time posted:

Are they gonna release the exclusives later? Or is everyone else just poo poo out of luck?

Latter. They released the rules for them, I believe, if you want to proxy.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Who's got two thumbs and got a game for Christmas? This guy!

:cripes:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ohhhh my condolences.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

You've been a bad boy this year.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Does the box meow?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
haha you got coaled

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I thought you liked deckbuilders.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Glad I've impressed the guiding 'don't buy me boardgames' to all my relatives. Got my nephew Loopin Chewie which he seemed to dig, although he is 4 years old. A blanket proved fun for him

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scyther posted:

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 25, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Scyther posted:

I got Doctor Who Risk!

(and also something good from my brother but haven't opened it yet)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Temporum here. The giant box is greatly annoying me, as is the giant board stopping me from re-boxing it (leaving the board behind is also quite possible). Why couldn't it fold more times at least?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So apparently Kemet Ta-Seti is already out of stock at CSI and still in preorder at MM.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just played a round of Netrunner by myself.

I won.

:(

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mr sad posted:

I won.

Better than the alternative :v:

e: also why are you playing Netrunner by yourself when jinteki.net exists?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 25, 2015

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

Better than the alternative :v:

e: also why are you playing Netrunner by yourself when jinteki.net exists?

I don't really feel like getting my poo poo pushed in tonight.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

mr sad posted:

I won.

I don't usually do this but this is a pretty great username/post combo right here.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Playtesting by yourself is a valuable skill since, if you're a good player, it assures that both sides are playing at a high skill level. This is a bit harder in Netrunner but hardly impossible.

On an unrelated note I got to play Mexican Train with my family today. We rag on Munchkin and Exploding Kittens here but holy poo poo I forgot how bad actual, like, "traditional" games are. This poo poo was miserable. And when I went online to make sure we were playing right after the fact because everything felt really arbitrary (another characteristic of old games since they all use the same deck of cards/stack of dominoes/etc.) every single site or tutorial I found was different. What a miserable experience.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I actually found today that Scrabble isn't that bad as long as you're playing with people whose chatter makes up for the massive AP involved in that game.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Playtesting by yourself is a valuable skill since, if you're a good player, it assures that both sides are playing at a high skill level. This is a bit harder in Netrunner but hardly impossible.

On an unrelated note I got to play Mexican Train with my family today. We rag on Munchkin and Exploding Kittens here but holy poo poo I forgot how bad actual, like, "traditional" games are. This poo poo was miserable. And when I went online to make sure we were playing right after the fact because everything felt really arbitrary (another characteristic of old games since they all use the same deck of cards/stack of dominoes/etc.) every single site or tutorial I found was different. What a miserable experience.

Forty-Two is the only good Dominoes game I know of. Unfortunately it's a point-trick partnership game with bidding so it's not particularly approachable. I wouldn't dismiss all traditional games as crap. There are tons of good trick-takers, especially if you get into Tarock games. It tends to be the more family oriented luck based stuff that's really bad. People also seem to like the various chess games even though I personally hate them. Basically even with traditional games you have your top-tier competitive stuff and your filthy normie crap.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Impermanent posted:

I actually found today that Scrabble isn't that bad as long as you're playing with people whose chatter makes up for the massive AP involved in that game.

Last time I played Scrabble I learned that playing against your well-read grandma who loves that game is a recipe to lose every game with less than half her score.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I'm gonna be stopping by the FLGS on sunday and picking up Chaos in the Old World (and the expansion) and Resistance: Avalon. Please convince me to pick up something else or the X-Wing stuff in my apartment will finally achieve critical mass.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I got Terra Mystica plus expansion :dance:

Time to make some inserts.

Anything I need to be aware off for my first game?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

HerraS posted:

I'm gonna be stopping by the FLGS on sunday and picking up Chaos in the Old World (and the expansion) and Resistance: Avalon. Please convince me to pick up something else or the X-Wing stuff in my apartment will finally achieve critical mass.

Else? Buy those games and Diskwars.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Else as in 'something else as well as these two'!!!!

How many players can you have in Diskwars?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's really meant for two, but technically foes up to tour, though it,s a bit of a dumb FFA at 3+. However, at four it is so easily molded into a decent 2v2 that it makes you wonder why it wasn't present in the rulebook in the first place (the house ruling in this case is literally just share a win condition, start on the same table edge and no friendly fire).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My wife got me viticulture extended edition. (I asked her too, so it's not unexpected).

Now I just need to persuade her to play it. I've had some success with getting her into boardgames recently via Codenames, so we'll see.

(I also got a weird trivia game from her godparents. I appreciate the sentiment, but there are better things to do than play essentially twenty questions.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I guess the shortest optimal path from Codenames to Viticulture looks something like this: Codenames, Ticket to Ride, Stone Age, Viticulture. You have to reel them in slowly!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

theroachman posted:

I guess the shortest optimal path from Codenames to Viticulture looks something like this: Codenames, Ticket to Ride, Stone Age, Viticulture. You have to reel them in slowly!

She's done Ticket to Ride already and enjoyed it. I'm just going to weigh in.

Not today, though, today we Visit Relatives yay(!)

I'm bringing Codenames.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm pretty excited to see what they do with the Spanish version of Codenames. English has a lot of composite words, kinda like German. So for example yard can be either a house yard, a shipyard, a unit of distance, etc. In Spanish, all three of them are completely different words and only some words can have different meanings on their own since there aren't that many composite words. Like say, chair and saddle use the same word in Spanish. I'm intrigued!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Surprisingly Dominion turned out to be the smash hit this year at family xmas. Hard to get enough people for decent Codenaming, Carcassone went down well, Camel Up and Sushi Go caused confusion somehow?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Azran posted:

I'm pretty excited to see what they do with the Spanish version of Codenames. English has a lot of composite words, kinda like German. So for example yard can be either a house yard, a shipyard, a unit of distance, etc. In Spanish, all three of them are completely different words and only some words can have different meanings on their own since there aren't that many composite words. Like say, chair and saddle use the same word in Spanish. I'm intrigued!

That's not composite words, that's dual meanings. Which every language has to some extent. And they're also what makes Codenames work really, because accounting for several meanings makes for way more associations, both as spymaster and courier. English and German (and Danish) have trouble with compound words, because you can string basically an infinite amount of words together into a huge word. This is why we need the rule of "don't make up ridiculous words".