Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Isinona makes me poop in fear while flying WAY TOO LOW above a planet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUbV3Zq62BA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not A Pubbie Spy
Aug 18, 2012
I asked about this game in November and the response was, "Wait until the Horizons release."

So, the current game with all features is US$60 now? Should I buy the base game for US$15 and if I like it, apply the credit(?) to the $60 full version so I can land on the currently-empty planets?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Not A Pubbie Spy posted:

I asked about this game in November and the response was, "Wait until the Horizons release."

So, the current game with all features is US$60 now? Should I buy the base game for US$15 and if I like it, apply the credit(?) to the $60 full version so I can land on the currently-empty planets?

Yeah. I would suggest you get the base 15$ game and see if you like it. The loyalty discount hasn't gone away so you can always jump to Horizons after for 45$. I'm still on the base game from when I picked it up in November. I'm enjoying myself tremendously but I can't justify Horizons at full price to myself right now. If you like the base game, you will like Horizons because it is essentially more of the same. The game is about what fun you make for yourself and the learning curve is absurd so be sure to ask all the dumb questions you may have because or else you are liable to bounce right the gently caress off and be mad.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Not A Pubbie Spy posted:

You could also try the demo, which you can download from the Elite Dangerous website via the game launcher. It's more a basic tutorial than a demo, but it'll give you a feel for flying around and shooting and docking. If you like how that feels, then get the $15 base game. If you absolutely fall in love with it and the thought of doing that same stuff except on planets excites you, then get Horizons.

I just took my first explorer trip. It was a short one, out to Betelgeuse, and holy poo poo this thing is huge :stare:. Screenshots don't really do it justice; I'd seen screenshots before, but the sheer size of it didn't hit me until I jumped into the system, expecting to be at the usual close'ish scooping range, and instead of I was far as gently caress away from it and could just tell how massive it was. Then I landed on a planet well over 1000ly from it and it was still huge.

It's only ~500ly from Goatsec. Anybody with an interest in exploring should go check it out as a first trip. It's a nice "wow" moment.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shine posted:

I just took my first explorer trip. It was a short one, out to Betelgeuse, and holy poo poo this thing is huge :stare:. Screenshots don't really do it justice; I'd seen screenshots before, but the sheer size of it didn't hit me until I jumped into the system, expecting to be at the usual close'ish scooping range, and instead of I was far as gently caress away from it and could just tell how massive it was. Then I landed on a planet well over 1000ly from it and it was still huge.

Heh, you should try visiting VY Canis Majoris. It's more than double the size of Betelgeuse, you jump in at about 6000 ls from it and it's just as huge as any star when you exit witchspace. Anything closer than about 5500 ls and you start frying.

It also has a little friend:

Here's from 50,000 ls away:

You can still clearly see it as a big fuckoff ball of flame from 500,000 ls away, it's seriously mindblowing.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Question for explorers: do you take guns with you?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Can't see a reason why you would, they'd just be dead weight.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I have them for when I find Thargoids.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

If you're landing on planets, it might be a good idea to bring a gun to plink at sentries with. You can still kill most of the sentries easily with the SRV gun though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Eyud posted:

I have them for when I get interdicted by some shitbird npc in an eagle on my way to sell the data

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I bring a few weapons to kill the unarmed shieldless explorers hanging out at neat nebulas and black holes who are so excited to see a person after so long and want to pose real close for photos.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

anime tupac posted:

Okay cool. It seemed to jump in difficulty pretty significantly when they went from "fight three guys, with two wingmen helping you" to "defeat ten waves by yourself" but I assumed I was supposed to be able to do it!

Generally, games come with three different flavors of tutorials:

1. No tutorials
2. Tutorials you have to do at least once, unskippable
3. Tutorials you can skip

Elite uses the third flavor. As soon as you get the basics, you can just skip them and forget they exist. (I never did more then the basic tutorials + the first two combat tutorials, for example)

Space Skeleton posted:

I bring a few weapons to kill the unarmed shieldless explorers hanging out at neat nebulas and black holes who are so excited to see a person after so long and want to pose real close for photos.

I never go shieldless anywhere, that's just an invitation to disaster. (Also since my time in Powerplay, even my Asp has some weapons, for obvious reasons)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm friendly with the Empire, and my bar says "Lord - 100%", but I haven't gotten a mission to rank up to Baron :(

Are rank missions more common in certain areas?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
So I've been floating around in an adder as my lander/explorer ship since it was cheap and I like the adder's style. I figured it was time to move on to a dedicated lander platform since I'm having a decent time of it, and started to look at fitting a cobra iv because it seemed to be designed as a lander/trader thing.

I have a soft spot for kinda crappy ships, but the cobra is just kind of barely passable, so I pulled my miner out of storage and converted that into a lander instead.

5A thrusters and it doesn't feel bad. It's like... 30 million, but still. Better than the cobra unless you're planning on getting in fights.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
148% of Earth gravity was enough to make me flub a landing just now and crash my Asp hard enough to crack the canopy about 2500 LY from home. Glad I hadn't invested too much time into this trip yet! Whoopsie.

4 km isn't enough vertical distance to slow down from full thrust in that gravity in an Asp. That's mildly terrifying.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Toadsmash posted:

148% of Earth gravity was enough to make me flub a landing just now and crash my Asp hard enough to crack the canopy about 2500 LY from home. Glad I hadn't invested too much time into this trip yet! Whoopsie.

4 km isn't enough vertical distance to slow down from full thrust in that gravity in an Asp. That's mildly terrifying.

Did you spin and full thrust back up towards space?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Toadsmash posted:

AFM will fix the canopy if it has at least 1% left on it. Happen to pack one?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Toadsmash posted:

Are you packing d-thrusters? Always go A for planetside, in fact just go A all the time it's better.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Just started this, whats my fastest way to money? I enjoy space trucking but having trouble finding where to go to pick up cargo missions that are available to me.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

black.lion posted:

Just started this, whats my fastest way to money? I enjoy space trucking but having trouble finding where to go to pick up cargo missions that are available to me.

Long range smuggling in a cobra or asp.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

black.lion posted:

Do a rares circuit. It's linked in the OP. Or do the abridged version:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Toadsmash posted:

I slammed into a canyon wall (not even in high gravity) on the first day of my current trip and went down to 30% hull, but I'm not letting that stop me. Sag A* or bust!

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Space Skeleton posted:

AFM will fix the canopy if it has at least 1% left on it. Happen to pack one?

No, but I really should've been. I tried flipping around, but I just didn't react fast enough when I realized I as in trouble.

Only had B thrusters. I was doing exploration in a Keelback before this ironically and it was working great. Made the transition to the Asp too soon and it was really a waste. Keelback is surprisingly maneuverable, certainly much moreso than the Asp, and didn't even see an improvement in the jump range. That upgrade was pointless without enough credits banked for an A-ranked FSD right away. So much fail on my part!

Keelback really is a shockingly versatile ship. I might well go back to it for awhile and do a couple more expeditions and make sure I can make the Asp switch right.

e: though for my purposes, Asp Scout would probably work even better in the same price range...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Asp Explorer is a big stupid flying cow and I hate it.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Shine posted:

I took one to Sag A* and back. I will never fly an Asp again.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shine posted:

I'm glad everyone stopped saying dat asp

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shine posted:

I fully agree but sadly it's the only multirole ship between Cobra and Clipper, and the Clipper has its own issues: it's enormous and unable to land at outposts, has weak shields especially for its size, is terribly expensive to fit, and has kinda poo poo operating range if not D-rated.

So unless you want to be stuck in a Cobra mkIII (which is an awesome ship but will leave you wanting for more after the early game) until you have 150 millions banked for a proper multirole Python, it's the only choice. Unless you think a Cobra mkIV that has a blazing speed of 200 m/s and 299 m/s boosting, with papier mache shields and not enough juice to run decent weapons in all its hardpoints, is a viable alternative. I don't.

Actually even with 150 millions to buy that Python, I'd rather not fly a multirole 4-5 million rebuy ship, as awesome as it is - I really like medium-weight ships with which you can actually dare to take risks and know that if you get blown up, it's not a huge investment to get back where you were. This niche is currently occupied by all of two ships, Asp and Vulture. Maybe the FAS but that's more of a Vulture upgrade I think.

I was so hoping for the Cobra mk IV to be the next (slight) step up from the Asp in the multirole department for a price point of say 10 millions for the hull, 40-45 fully fit... :smith:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 25, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
The Asp is kind of a tub but it's a really endearing tub.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
They should make an explorer FDS. Throwing a giant space brick into the galaxy.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should really be a dedicated explorer that's like the size of a type 9 and can do 50ly jumps

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

frank.club posted:

Should really be a dedicated explorer that's like the size of a type 9 and can do 50ly jumps

Yeah, I want a Deep Space explorer to look forward to in the end game.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

tofes posted:

The Asp is kind of a tub but it's a really endearing tub.

That's probably why I like it, we're so much alike. :sadwave:

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Dakkasp is always fun though. Slap miniguns on every slot you have, bullets for everyone.

I'm convinced FD doesn't even playtest things, there's no other explanation for the Cobra Mk4 being so terrible at everything.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Enos Shenk posted:

Dakkasp is always fun though. Slap miniguns on every slot you have, bullets for everyone.

I'm convinced FD doesn't even playtest things, there's no other explanation for the Cobra Mk4 being so terrible at everything.

I think because it's an "exclusive" ship they didn't want to make it better than anything else.

Though that may be giving them more credit than they deserve.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

You can make an anaconda do a little north of 40. It'll do mid 30s in a luxury fit. It's about 200 million if you buy everything at Yong Mart for an Explorer

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm in a Cobra right now doing mainly smuggling missions and trading missions when there's no smuggling to be done. I'm looking at a trading mission here that i can't do cause i need 102 in cargospace, what's the nearest thing in terms of "tiers" to the Cobra that might have the space i need? It would also need to be good at smuggling stuff, fast and nimble-ish.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dongattack posted:

I'm in a Cobra right now doing mainly smuggling missions and trading missions when there's no smuggling to be done. I'm looking at a trading mission here that i can't do cause i need 102 in cargospace, what's the nearest thing in terms of "tiers" to the Cobra that might have the space i need? It would also need to be good at smuggling stuff, fast and nimble-ish.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5D5D4D4D5D5C----------0504022t400101.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

EIDIT: actually the type 6 can get to 100 for about 3 million less as long as you don't mind having to spend a lot of time to scoop fuel http://coriolis.io/outfit/type_6_transporter/03D4D4A2D3D2D4C-----04040303402o01.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

Also just realized I was running a D grade FSD on the asp, defiantly go for the type 6

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 25, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Astroniomix posted:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5D5D4D4D5D5C----------0504022t400101.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

EIDIT: actually the type 6 can get to 100 for about 3 million less as long as you don't mind having to spend a lot of time to scoop fuel http://coriolis.io/outfit/type_6_transporter/03A4A4A2A3A2A4C-----04040303402o01.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

Yeah I'm using a type 6 with 100T capacity and like 19 laden jumps, you can get the tonnage higher at the cost of either the shields or the honker, one problem is that with Horizon's some of the higher paying missions can have you land in a planet that you dont have explored so you need a honker. The missions are easy enough to avoid though, these are always surface missions.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I like space flying games and noticed Elite Dangerous: Horizons in the steam store. The stuff in the OP looks pretty cool and it sounds like the game has a lot of what I'm looking for in a space flying game.

Problem is, I much rather prefer single player games. I heard while ED:H is more multiplayer focused, it does have solo play (I've heard you have to be online for it but that's fine by me). Is the game worth it for the single player alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRGy
May 8, 2014
Uhh, the game is basically single player? So should be right up your alley and merry Christmas everyone

• Locked thread