Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Reaching a natural apotheosis in Crump; a sapper so insane other sappers think he's nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mott Irregulars think he's nuts.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Aren't Mott Irregulars basically a bunch of strangely powerful hillbillies that all happen to be some sort of High Marshall?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
My interpretation of that was that they don't use ranks or any kind of chain of command so they all just take a fancy sounding title

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Mustang posted:

Aren't Mott Irregulars basically a bunch of strangely powerful hillbillies that all happen to be some sort of High Marshall?

They were created to beat up wizards. Oratal fists or something?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Mustang posted:

FoD spoiler: The Boles may be a Jaghut creation. There's a part where Varandas talks about making a bunch of "dolls" called Bolead, but worries that he may have made too many of them.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

The whole thing with Malazan sappers is that they're insane. These are men who were given weapons designed to be dropped on enemies from a great height and immediately started coming up with ways to use them in close combat.

(DG) 55 cussers... and immediately Mincer almost cries because, welp. That was our stash and now we're back to using shovels.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Have any of you guys tried out the FoD audiobook? My malazan books are in storage :( so I've been rereading with audiobooks, through Toll the Hounds. Michael Paige is great but in shopping around I found another orator that was pronouncing poo poo all bad and wrong, like pronouncing Tiste Andii as "tistey andey-ee" and "letheri-eye" and I couldn't make it two chapters. So I'm wondering how FoD holds up before I commit to buying it on audible.

Also... 2016 is gonna be loving awesome.

Also, just got to the part in TTH where Traveller shows up and beats up a loving bear with his bare hands before cutting that fucker in half with Vengeance. So glad I'm doing this reread.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

The Ninth Layer posted:

Also, just got to the part in TTH where Traveller shows up and beats up a loving bear with his bare hands before cutting that fucker in half with Vengeance. So glad I'm doing this reread.

Didn't Shadowthrone basically put the bear there because he knew Traveller would be thirsty and would rip it apart and drink its blood? :black101:

acumen fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 25, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

The Ninth Layer posted:

Have any of you guys tried out the FoD audiobook? My malazan books are in storage :( so I've been rereading with audiobooks, through Toll the Hounds. Michael Paige is great but in shopping around I found another orator that was pronouncing poo poo all bad and wrong, like pronouncing Tiste Andii as "tistey andey-ee" and "letheri-eye" and I couldn't make it two chapters. So I'm wondering how FoD holds up before I commit to buying it on audible.
I loved the guy they had for the first couple books,. Then it took me most of HoC to get used to the second guy but after that I enjoyed listening to him finish out the series.

Tried listening to FoD and was immediately turned off by the third guy. I don't even remember what it was about his voice now but after about five minutes I decided to just start collecting the actual books with FoD.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just finished Bonehunters. gently caress Malick Rel. I accidentally spoilered myself about him during Deadhouse Gates because I couldn't remember who the "Jhistal" guy is. I can't believe Erikson makes this douche the Emperor!.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

I loved the guy they had for the first couple books,. Then it took me most of HoC to get used to the second guy but after that I enjoyed listening to him finish out the series.

Tried listening to FoD and was immediately turned off by the third guy. I don't even remember what it was about his voice now but after about five minutes I decided to just start collecting the actual books with FoD.
Yeah both Ralph Lister and Michael Paige do a great job. Shame about FoD maybe I'll see if I can find a library copy so I can reread it before Fall of Light.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Mustang posted:

Just finished Bonehunters. gently caress Malick Rel. I accidentally spoilered myself about him during Deadhouse Gates because I couldn't remember who the "Jhistal" guy is. I can't believe Erikson makes this douche the Emperor!.

I took Mallick Rel's side plot as showing that the Malazan Emperor is a red herring. People want to be Emperor, but that's not where the real power lies. Surly becomes Empress, and then realizes that it's a useless position. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that she followed in Kellanved/Dancer's footsteps and got deposed on purpose once she figured out how things really work.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Infinite Karma posted:

I took Mallick Rel's side plot as showing that the Malazan Emperor is a red herring. People want to be Emperor, but that's not where the real power lies. Surly becomes Empress, and then realizes that it's a useless position. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that she followed in Kellanved/Dancer's footsteps and got deposed on purpose once she figured out how things really work.
If only. That's ICE stuff.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Isn't all that ICE stuff including what he ends up being?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah both Ralph Lister and Michael Paige do a great job. Shame about FoD maybe I'll see if I can find a library copy so I can reread it before Fall of Light.

i on the other hand quite liked the FoD reader, so your reaction may vary

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The Errant is one hosed up dude.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just finished Reaper's Gale. I love how Fid just shoots cussers at god's, demons, dragons and whatever super powerful creatures cross his path. With 3 books left I'm sure there's plenty of other poo poo for Fid to launch cussers at.

After the final battle in the book, I like Koryk's single comment while the squad looks at Fid, Quick Ben and Hedge: "Just look at 'em"

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Don't forget Karsa being all :black101: as gently caress.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mustang posted:

The Errant is one hosed up dude.

Understatement of the century. I have to give Erikson credit, I've read a lot and I can't think of any other character out of anything I've read who I've wanted to literally reach through the pages of a book and strangle, not quite like the Errant.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Mustang posted:

Just finished Reaper's Gale. I love how Fid just shoots cussers at god's, demons, dragons and whatever super powerful creatures cross his path.

It makes sense - either you kill the super powerful creature, or you get one more explosion off before it kills you like it was going to do anyway.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Toll the Hounds is off to a weird start. Some sections just seem kind of pointless and not at all interesting. Usually what seems to be Kruppe narrating whats going on or about to go on in the city but I'd rather just read the sections that have all the poo poo happen in them instead of this pointless stuff.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

TtH is a slog but the ending is so incredible it's absolutely worth it. Also a lot of it is weird and doesn't make sense until things start to come to a head.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mustang posted:

Toll the Hounds is off to a weird start. Some sections just seem kind of pointless and not at all interesting. Usually what seems to be Kruppe narrating whats going on or about to go on in the city but I'd rather just read the sections that have all the poo poo happen in them instead of this pointless stuff.

It's actually really good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It turns good after you've read FoD. Until then, total slog, easily my least favorite book in the series.
It does have some great Kallor, though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mustang posted:

It was the only book in the series I really struggled with. Erikson significantly changes his writing style for it, and I gotta agree with what's been said here, it's a loving slog for the first 800 pages.

The last 200, however, are distilled awesome :tviv:

It's worth it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It could be worse, I read some other old book recently and it was just loads of boring guff about meditating on grief and what it means to be human, and there WASN'T even an epic anime swordfight at the end. At least TTH has that to justify the rest.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

anilEhilated posted:

It turns good after you've read FoD. Until then, total slog, easily my least favorite book in the series.
It does have some great Kallor, though.

Agreed. Should be even more interesting once the rest of the trilogy comes out.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So I just finished the first book, and I loved it! Question: can I read this thread at all or should I stay away until I have finished all the books, so as to avoid spoilers? Thanks.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
We are good at spoiler tagging but do tell us how you're getting on. Also, the default answer to most questions is keep reading and pay attention.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

So I just finished the first book, and I loved it! Question: can I read this thread at all or should I stay away until I have finished all the books, so as to avoid spoilers? Thanks.

Please give us trip reports as you go through Deadhouse Gates. We love those.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, people's thoughts as they read through are the best. Most of the spoilers in here are well tagged and honestly if you accidentally highlight one by mistake there's a pretty reasonable chance you won't be able to make heads or tails of what people are talking about.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Most of the stuff before FoD came out should be safe too, just because everyone was wrong about everything anyway.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm looking online and I can't find a trade paperback version of Memories of Ice. Is it generally hard to get non-mass market paperback versions of the books? I hate MMP.

I have an excellent independent bookstore in my town and they list the trade paperback version as special order. Maybe I can go in and have them order me the full series.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 8, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

I'm looking online and I can't find a trade paperback version of Memories of Ice. Is it generally hard to get non-mass market paperback versions of the books? I hate MMP.

I have an excellent independent bookstore in my town and they list the trade paperback version as special order. Maybe I can go in and have them order me the full series.

Wait, what exactly is the difference?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Wait, what exactly is the difference?

Trade paperbacks are the taller, wider paperbacks, and have less stiff bindings, which makes them much easier to read, especially for long periods

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

Trade paperbacks are the taller, wider paperbacks, and have less stiff bindings, which makes them much easier to read, especially for long periods

Oh, ok. I've seen plenty of those, I guess I just never knew the proper name for them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That is odd. I've seen a few over the years at b&n or whatever. There's a signed one with a decent markup on ebay at the moment. Also the 2001 or 2002 paperback editions on amazon will most likely be tpbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

blue squares posted:

The way I usually describe them is "softback book in hardback size".

For future reference, here's a visual guide to the five main book sizes.

Folio (with 18" ruler for scale):

This book is actually slightly shorter than full folio, which is up to 19" tall. Folio is usually only used for art books, particularly comic art where 19"x12" is the most common size for original art.

Quarto:

Somewhat larger than a regular hardback. Most often used for books that need a little more space for detailed illustration. Haynes manuals are a slightly cut down quarto.

Octavo:

The standard size for hardbacks and trade paperbacks. Discworld fans will probably know that this paper size inspired the name of the Creator's grimoire.

Duodecimo/12mo:

A size between regular hardback and paperback. Often informally referred to as "book club size" in the UK, as mail order book clubs used to commission smaller format print runs to reduce their postage costs.

Sextodecimo/16mo:

Standard paperback format.

If you're curious, the names come from how many pages could be made from a single sheet of Royal paper, which is 20"x25". Folio is just a sheet of Royal folded in half, quarto has that sheet folded again, and so on. Technically they should be called royal quarto, royal octavo etc. as you would also get crown quarto (4 pages from one sheet of crown paper, which was 15"x20"), demy quarto and others, but the sobriquet was dropped when the US publishing industry standardised on Royal and everyone else followed suit, removing the need for the distinction.