Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My first serious relationship ended because my girlfriend kept giving less and less subtle hints about the direness of her mom's financial situation until she was outright asking me to help them make payments on the credit cards. She accused me of being an unfeeling monster when I refused, and went on a social media tirade about what a cheap rear end in a top hat I am.

Maybe it was a bit cold, but it's my money, not hers. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Switchback posted:

Less fun than horse chat, but better than tax chat, another report that most Americans have less than $1,000 in savings.
Eh, I can believe it in general but this specific survey is pretty narrowly focused.

quote:

Approximately 62% of Americans have less than $1,000 in their savings accounts and 21% don’t even have a savings account, according to a new survey of more than 5,000 adults conducted this month by Google Consumer Survey for personal finance website GOBankingRates.com.
Considering how lovely savings account interest is right now(even "good" accounts are around 1%), I'd imagine a lot of people just stopped bothering. It'd be more telling if they included money in both checking and savings.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I never got that survey because another study shows most Americans as having a positive net worth - but I think a lot of people just assume because their unpaid house is an asset, that counts towards their net worth (it shouldn't).

This chart looks pretty accurate - look at the red parts to see how almost no one has liquid assets in America when property equity is excluded:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/05/17/americans-average-net-worth-by-age-how-do-you-comp.aspx

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah I never got that survey because another study shows most Americans as having a positive net worth - but I think a lot of people just assume because their unpaid house is an asset, that counts towards their net worth (it shouldn't).

If my mortgage counts against my net worth then why wouldn't my house count towards it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You don't count equity in real estate in net worth? Do you discount any assets that have a lien on them?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rurutia posted:

If my mortgage counts against my net worth then why wouldn't my house count towards it?

I have a feeling people aren't saying "I have $10,000 equity in my $100,000 house" for these surveys, they're just saying "I have a $100,000 house"

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

EugeneJ posted:

I have a feeling people aren't saying "I have $10,000 equity in my $100,000 house" for these surveys, they're just saying "I have a $100,000 house"

That's really mixing the terms, though. Net worth is assets minus liabilities. That's all. In this case, it's the asset of the house minus the liability of mortgage/equity loan/HELOC. The value of the asset is annoying because it can be a wide range, but it still exists.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Not a Children posted:

My first serious relationship ended because my girlfriend kept giving less and less subtle hints about the direness of her mom's financial situation until she was outright asking me to help them make payments on the credit cards. She accused me of being an unfeeling monster when I refused, and went on a social media tirade about what a cheap rear end in a top hat I am.

Maybe it was a bit cold, but it's my money, not hers. :shrug:

Yeah this is a disaster waiting to happen. Once you are willing to help once, you're helping forever. The underlying issues aren't fixed by cash infusions anyway.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The 18 year old black transgender pc game dev patreon person is BWM.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Well I did donate to the hot dog man's kickstarter :downs:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Cloks posted:

Here's something from reddit...

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Flipping/comments/3y1n93/about_to_hit_75k_in_sales_never_did_taxes_not/]

So Brave posted: posted:

I'll get down voted for this and I literally couldn't care less. But, after my wife and I pay our income taxes, property taxes, sales tax, gas tax, etc.; there's literally 0% chance that I claim my income from something that's little more than a hobby.

You've made maybe $2,500. That's barely taxable. Put aside 10% just in case.

The very first piece of advice?
But isn't he right? In Aus, this would be considered a hobby even if you had a proper job on top.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In Australia you don't have to declare thousands in income from something because it's a hobby? When the hobby is literally being a retailer? An odd policy choice.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just found out someone close to me is keeping their entire savings in cash and hiding it in their house :psyduck:

I questioned them, and they said something like "when the banks collapse, where are you going to get cash from to buy things? I'LL HAVE THE CASH!"

What is a good list of stuff to tell them so that they change their mind?

So far I can think of -

-The money isn't earning interest

-The money won't be covered by homeowner's insurance in the case of theft or fire

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Often this problem requires Seroquel.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EugeneJ posted:

What is a good list of stuff to tell them so that they change their mind?

So far I can think of -

-The money isn't earning interest

-The money won't be covered by homeowner's insurance in the case of theft or fire

3) If there is such a widespread societal collapse that government deposit insurance has failed, cash currency (issued pre-collapse) may no longer be generally accepted anyway. Applies if your friend is in a stable modern developed country, not so much for Greece.

4) He may honestly forget where he hid the cash currency and accidentally destroy or throw it away. Similarly for any family members he may be living with.

And tell your friend to stop going around telling people he has so much cash currency at home. Jesus.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mean even if they try to deposit the money now, isn't the bank going to flag the transaction and sick the feds on them to find out where the money came from?

I'm guessing this is at least tens of thousands of dollars, if not more

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Teller asks where the money came from. You say "cash savings", sign a paper and that's it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vahakyla posted:

Teller asks where the money came from. You say "cash savings", sign a paper and that's it.

It's all legit money that they probably got from cashing paychecks at a bank anyway, so I'm sure there's a paper trail.

But holy poo poo was I blown away at the stupidity. Is there some online site that could be encouraging them to do this?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

It's all legit money that they probably got from cashing paychecks at a bank anyway, so I'm sure there's a paper trail.

But holy poo poo was I blown away at the stupidity. Is there some online site that could be encouraging them to do this?

Possibly read some prepper literature and was dumb enough to not only to buy into the idea of the prepping lifestyle, but also dumb enough to miss the point of hoarding gold/silver rather than paper money for when "poo poo hits the fan".

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EugeneJ posted:

I mean even if they try to deposit the money now, isn't the bank going to flag the transaction and sick the feds on them to find out where the money came from?

I'm guessing this is at least tens of thousands of dollars, if not more

The danger is not so much with the bank. As subsequently mentioned by another poster, you simply have to fill out some paperwork. That is all.

The danger is that he may be pulled over by the police while en route and have his cash currency seized as the product of drug trafficking. The legal standard for civil forfeiture is very low, and your friend may end up with his entire life savings seized.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
There's always money in the banana stand.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

In Australia you don't have to declare thousands in income from something because it's a hobby? When the hobby is literally being a retailer? An odd policy choice.
ATO website is down, but generally yes. 2.5k in profit over 2 years is tiny (in Aus). It's fairly clear the guy is not really a business by how disorganised he is and that is the main criteria in which separates a hobby from a business: "The main thing that determines whether you are running a business is whether you are going about your activities in a businesslike manner."

It's not an odd policy, it's too much hassle to tax these things so the ATO ignores it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Noyemi K posted:

Well I did donate to the hot dog man's kickstarter :downs:

That was a beautiful journey in Bad With Money and Bad With Food.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If banks collapsed, the ensuing contraction in the money supply would make that pile of cash more valuable, erasing some of the opportunity costs he made by not investing.

But who are we kidding? You're more likely to see rampant inflation as the Fed prints trillions of dollars to prop up the banks. So all your money is now worth even less than before.

Granted that didn't happen the last time the Fed printed 3 trillion extra dollars. But we probably just got lucky.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Steal all that person's cash to teach them a lesson.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

EugeneJ posted:

Somethingawful.com

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Dear Reddit,

I totaled a rental car by parking it in the ocean. I have no insurance. I haven't told the rental company yet but can I declare bankruptcy now to get out of paying them for the car?

quote:

I rented a car for road trip, but declined optional insurance, so I am liable for all my fault. My credit card does not have rental insurance. I don't have personal insurance. I realize how stupid this is now.

Very stupidly, I drove and parked on the beach(it is allowed in this park). It's a night with extraordinary high tide, and one big wave smashed the front of the car. The car died in water and was towed to auto shop. Now the auto shop told me that the car is "totalled", especially the electronic system. I can't believe that the car is totalled from one sea wave, but I don't know anything about fixing cars in the first place.

Now, the financial consequences. If it's anything under $2,000, I'll just pay out of pocket, happily. If the car is totalled and I'm liable for the entire vehicle(MSRP $13000), I might need to consider bankruptcy or somehow negotiate.

I'm still a college student going to grad school. My tuition and living expense would come from my family. I don't have a SSN because I am a foreigner, by the way.

Is bankruptcy possible or desirable at this stage, considering I have no asset to lose?
Can I use this fact(possible bankruptcy) to negotiate a better settlement with the car rental company?

Without bankruptcy, I can pay $1,000 per month towards the settlement at most. I guess it's possible to go for a payment plan, but of course I want to reduce the total payment.

Also, my credit card is still open and the rental company has not been informed about the loss. Is there any use in cancelling the credit card? I want to limit how much the rental car company can unilaterally take from me.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Seems like it's time to start a new life under the sea.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It seems like his finances just went...underwater

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

He can wave goodbye to his money.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The car really tide the beach together.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He might want to create a shell company.

(Or wait until he is actually billed before declaring bankruptcy, so it's one of the debts that gets discharged?)

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

(Or wait until he is actually billed before declaring bankruptcy, so it's one of the debts that gets discharged?)

I sea what you did there.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think he's a American citizen, he mentioned not having a SSN.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Water you guys talking about? :downsrim:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BigDave posted:

I don't think he's a American citizen, he mentioned not having a SSN.

You can have legal debts without being a US citizen. Source: I am in the US but not a citizen, and have had debts.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I bet the rental car company is going to be really salty once they realize their chances of recovering from him.

Also, :lol: at the argument over whether the ocean ruining your car counts as an act of god or not:

quote:

That is largely irrelevent. An act of God is when something happens that is unforseen, and unpredictable. A tide is not unpredictable. I would imagine there are signs warning not to park there.

quote:

It may have been unpredictable for him. He did say he couldn't imagine how that could have happened.
Who could ever predict waves happening on the beach??

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Mayans could have told this dork not to park there.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

"I can't believe that the car is totalled from one sea wave..." oh man that reminds me of Futurama, with spaceships being designed to accommodate between zero and one atmospheres.

The Guardian gave us a nice gift $100,000 and up is not enough – even the 'rich' live paycheck to paycheck

quote:

Marguerita Cheng, a certified financial planner and CEO of Blue Ocean Global Wealth, has a client in the Washington, DC area who makes $450,000 to $600,000 a year but lives paycheck to paycheck. He spends a lot of it on keeping peace with his ex-wife.

quote:

In 2014, a Brookings Institute paper found that about one-third of US households live hand to mouth. That’s about 38 million households. About two-thirds of these American households living from paycheck to paycheck are not actually poor but instead middle class or richer. They might have liquid assets or own a home that they are paying off. There is just one catch: they are spending everything they are earning even if it’s $100,000 or more a year.

Living from paycheck to paycheck despite having a decent income is especially an issue among millennials – those 18 to 35 years old. According to a recent survey by LendingTree, 44% of millennials earning between $100,000 to $149,000 live paycheck to paycheck. Interestingly, just 33.5% of those earning $50,000 to $75,000 said they lived that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Subjunctive posted:

You can have legal debts without being a US citizen. Source: I am in the US but not a citizen, and have had debts.

Do those debts cross the border? Otherwise this guy could go on back to wherever and leave Hertz holding the bag.

• Locked thread