Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

MC Eating Disorder posted:

behold; the glory the TRIPLE AGED bourbon

bourbon is kind of the quintessential low-rent spirit here so poo poo like this seems like an attempt to fob off the older barrels that didn't make the cut in order to sell them at a premium cost to ffly in/fly out miners who are 100% gonna mix it with cola. There's not a single beam branded bottling that isn't available premixed with cola in some form here, its a weird market and I'd love to work for beam just to find out what their strategy is. They do really well off knob creek and their other prestige bottlings but there's absolutely no market pressure to have a nice tasting jim beam at all.

I'm interested in what double or triple aging is supposed to mean because I've googled both terms and the only thing that comes up apart from beam products is dewars 12yo which is also apparently double aged. In the context of bourbon I guess it could mean taking it out of the barrel and putting it in a fresh barrel but in the context of scotch that seems even more nonsensical so I'm really confused, it might be a real thing but it honestly just feels like some marketing dude noticed that things with 'triple" on the label and "aged" on the label sell well so why not "triple aged"?

To be called a" straight whiskey" it needs to be aged for a minimum of 2 years. Triple means it's aged 3 times the minimum... So Triple Aged is a BS marketing phrase used to trick people into thinking it's special for some nonsensical reason. I say bs because most decent Bourbons are aged 8-12 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

behold; I'm really confused, it might be a real thing but it honestly just feels like some marketing dude noticed that things with 'triple" on the label and "aged" on the label sell well so why not "triple aged"?

The trend of second and third barrel finishes is a fun ouroboros of used wood. Scotch had used old sherry barrels because the UK would import the sherry in them and why not reuse the cooperage instead of burning it? When bourbon became a big deal (and remember bourbon can only be first use American oak), a flood of bourbon barrels became available, and scotch whiskey and rums began using the bourbon barrels to age the distillate.

Now alternate finishes are a marketing circle jerk because you can add "new expressions" of your whiskey for a few thousand bucks' worth of inventory and people will buy it for the novelty. There are a few producers doing genuinely good work with the idea, and there's a lot of conference calls agreeing that what the consumer wants is X.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

bloody ghost titty posted:

The trend of second and third barrel finishes is a fun ouroboros of used wood. Scotch had used old sherry barrels because the UK would import the sherry in them and why not reuse the cooperage instead of burning it? When bourbon became a big deal (and remember bourbon can only be first use American oak), a flood of bourbon barrels became available, and scotch whiskey and rums began using the bourbon barrels to age the distillate.

Now alternate finishes are a marketing circle jerk because you can add "new expressions" of your whiskey for a few thousand bucks' worth of inventory and people will buy it for the novelty. There are a few producers doing genuinely good work with the idea, and there's a lot of conference calls agreeing that what the consumer wants is X.

Yeah but scotch fished in a sherry barrel is really nice

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

There are a few producers doing genuinely good work with the idea

New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon is pretty dope. It has a barleywine sweetness that comes out on the back end that really gets me.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah but scotch fished in a sherry barrel is really nice

Well yea, it better be nice. before bourbon became (super) popular, basically all scotch was aged in ex sherry barrels is what he is saying

And Jim beam 7 might be great, I don't know personally, but ill go with Evan Williams single barrel for $20-25 any day.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DontAskKant posted:

Never had hot buttered rum before. Followed the serious eats version here. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/time-for-a-drink-hot-buttered-rum-recipe.html
Wasn't particularly buttery or rummy, but I did hit it with an immersion blender like you do with bulletproof coffee. Used Anchor butter and Brugal Anejo, and the recipe calls for unsalted butter but a little salt might be good. Not sure if it's supposed to be creamy or a bit oily.

oh this was at the bottom of the last page and I forgot to mention it, I don't really truck with fancy gadgets fixing up my hot buttered rum, but I remember last time I had access to a kitchen at work the chef made a butter/spices/vanilla icecream mix for our hot buttered rums and it was frickin amazing, not sure how she did it exactly but it was not a fancy or large kitchen so I imagine it would be doable at home if your kitchen isn't just a firepit and a garden hose over a drain

this looks like what I'm talking about

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 26, 2015

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

2DCAT posted:

To be called a" straight whiskey" it needs to be aged for a minimum of 2 years. Triple means it's aged 3 times the minimum... So Triple Aged is a BS marketing phrase used to trick people into thinking it's special for some nonsensical reason. I say bs because most decent Bourbons are aged 8-12 years.

I find it interesting that dewars is "double aged" as well, I was under the impression that the scots were much less strict on appellation laws and that there wasn't a strict set of rules on aging like there was for straight whiskey in the US

I mean either way its BS but at least in the context of bourbon its coherent BS the way you explain it

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

oh this was at the bottom of the last page and I forgot to mention it, I don't really truck with fancy gadgets fixing up my hot buttered rum, but I remember last time I had access to a kitchen at work the chef made a butter/spices/vanilla icecream mix for our hot buttered rums and it was frickin amazing, not sure how she did it exactly but it was not a fancy or large kitchen so I imagine it would be doable at home if your kitchen isn't just a firepit and a garden hose over a drain

this looks like what I'm talking about

I use the Zig Zag Café recipe, which is pretty similar, and is always a huge hit:

Zig Zag Café posted:

BATTER:
1 quart quality vanilla ice cream at room temp
1 lb unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. Cinnamon
3 Tbsp. Nutmeg
1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 lb. brown sugar

Mix until smooth
Keep frozen

TO SERVE:
2-3 Tbsp. batter
2oz dark rum
4oz hot water

Pre-warm glass
Add rum and batter, stir to combine
Add hot water, stir to combine
Top with whipped cream and fresh grated nutmeg

I generally melt the butter prior to mixing so you don't get lumps. It keeps much longer than a month, too, no idea why your link is so conservative.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

I find it interesting that dewars is "double aged" as well, I was under the impression that the scots were much less strict on appellation laws and that there wasn't a strict set of rules on aging like there was for straight whiskey in the US

I mean either way its BS but at least in the context of bourbon its coherent BS the way you explain it

Dewars could very well be referring to something completely different. I was really only referring to the labeling on the Jim Beam bottle.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I looked it up and for dewars it basically means the component whiskys are aged, blended and then aged again, which uh, is pretty standard practice for literally any high end blended scotch I thought, but yeah just another marketing dude earning his paycheque I guess

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

I looked it up and for dewars it basically means the component whiskys are aged, blended and then aged again, which uh, is pretty standard practice for literally any high end blended scotch I thought, but yeah just another marketing dude earning his paycheque I guess

Not surprising coming from the company that hires the women who uses a fake accent to shill their poo poo product

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Favorite late 1920's cocktails? Our NYE theme is 1929, I have my menu mostly complete, but if there's something great I've not thought of, I'd love to add it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Jack Rose, definitely.

Edit: VVV Good choice if you can find creme de violette (preferably Rothman & Winter). Creme Yvette really just isn't right, though.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 28, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Aviation.

AVIATION

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Favorite late 1920's cocktails? Our NYE theme is 1929, I have my menu mostly complete, but if there's something great I've not thought of, I'd love to add it.

Last word or jack rose

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
We serve Aviations and Last Words often.

I've got some classics planned, brandy Alexander's, while lady, etc. and have some salted preserved lemon syrup, the last of my fuyu persimmon & cinnamon purée, some chamomile-infused Singani to play with and finalize specs... and earl grey syrup that will either go into a gin sour or something with Scotch. May just stick with Black Bottle sidecars though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, I didn't look to see who posted that question. You hardly need my advice on what liqueur to put in an Aviation...what ratios do you prefer for that, by the way?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I like champs elyssees also.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

After a month in a fresh barrel the Bullet I used to season it has gotten a bit harsher, which is apparently pretty normal? Weird. Now I have 2L of weird bullet Idk what to do with.

Barrel aged Vieux Carre going in on new years day tho :hehe:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Pan-American Clipper.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, I didn't look to see who posted that question. You hardly need my advice on what liqueur to put in an Aviation...what ratios do you prefer for that, by the way?

Sorry if I sounded kinda snappy, I was frustrated with my roommate when I responded, didn't mean to sound harsh.

I did kind of giggle though, my wine director/GM LOVES Aviations and I have to keep Martin Millers and Rothman & Winter CdV in stock at all times. I usually follow close to the Death and Co. specs, subbing CdV for Yvette for her, I enjoy things a touch more perfumey so I may go slightly heavier on the CdV and slightly less on the lemon. I also like using both maraschino and CdV. Their's is:
2 Plymouth
.5 maraska
~.25 CdV
.75 lemon
.25 SS

They garnish with cherry, I prefer lemon twist.

I feel like I had a simpler one at a bar I worked at many years ago, I'm unpacking my desk/home bar today because I just moved, if I come across my notebook I'll post that too.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Pan-American Clipper.

Oooh, good call. I'd forgotten that one!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

What's in a Pan-American Clipper?

Also: 20th Century.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/pan-american-clipper-drink-cocktail-absinthe-calvados-pomegranate.html

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have experienced a lack of alcohol in my house over Christmas. Poor forethought has limited me to some Gin and Vermouth, and I've not been bothered to get anything else as Christmas has drained my wallet. Of course, this means I have had many Martinis. This is not a bad thing.

Also, 3:1 fo' life.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

syntaxfunction posted:

I have experienced a lack of alcohol in my house over Christmas. Poor forethought has limited me to some Gin and Vermouth, and I've not been bothered to get anything else as Christmas has drained my wallet. Of course, this means I have had many Martinis. This is not a bad thing.

Also, 3:1 fo' life.

Well I recently learned that while I don't generally like martinis, I do adore a Gibson. So, thanks Christmas?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
My girlfriend picked me up a bottle of apple pie vodka and cinnamon toast rum. No clue how they’ll taste but apparently she tried them both and said they were pretty good. Trying to think how I want to mix them.

I figure I’ll mess around with them and ginger beer, apple cider, allspice dram, honey, and other wintery flavors would probably wind up alright. Any suggestions for good wintery drinks to make with them?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

CodfishCartographer posted:

My girlfriend picked me up a bottle of apple pie vodka and cinnamon toast rum. No clue how they’ll taste but apparently she tried them both and said they were pretty good. Trying to think how I want to mix them.

I figure I’ll mess around with them and ginger beer, apple cider, allspice dram, honey, and other wintery flavors would probably wind up alright. Any suggestions for good wintery drinks to make with them?

Usually novelty flavored things end up as shots, but thinking about it for 10 seconds, cinnamon toast rum might be interesting to use in a Lion's Tail.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Ran out of time and space for two punches, so I settled for the Limmer's. Currently muddling up the lemon peels now. I'm looking forward to trying this out!

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003
I'm about to try my hand at some Limmer's punch as well. Wish me luck!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How long after dayquil is it safe to drink again? :v:

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Trip report: A++ Would punch again!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Happy NYE to yall who are stilm workin at the b drop tonight. May u all drown in tips tonight

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yay punch! I was gonna to a 1 bottle batch of Frank Forester's for my friend and I, but it comes out to 14 drinks and there's only two of us, so instead I just got some pretty nice champagne. I'll have to do a real proper punch soon.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kenning posted:

Yay punch! I was gonna to a 1 bottle batch of Frank Forester's for my friend and I, but it comes out to 14 drinks and there's only two of us, so instead I just got some pretty nice champagne. I'll have to do a real proper punch soon.

If you cant drink 14 drinks between the two of you you need better friends

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

We're both mostly still sick from a nasty virus.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Public service reminder: a double Manhattan made with Rittenhouse 100 proof is actually closer to 4 standard drinks.

Last night I learned that I pour heavy once I'm already drunk.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 1, 2016

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

There are egg whites in the fridge from last night's coconut chai tea cookies. To sour or to fizz? That is the question.

P.S. They are great dunked in coffee for totaly gratuitous caffeine in the morning.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Please don't dunk your egg whites in coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I do what I want :colbert:

Anyway, there was leftover champagne method fermented sparkling wine in the fridge from last night. French 75s happened a little while ago and my wife came home with sushi. And it's snowing. This is a good vacation weekend.