Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

*i started rewatching Eyes Wide Shut late last night and i honestly think it might beat out both The Shining and A Clockwork Orange as Kubrick's scariest movie

Speaking of scary Christmas movies....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

We never get movies like The Gate anymore.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

if we ever get my wish for a proper, no-punches-pulled adaptation of The Thief of Always, that could come close.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yaws posted:

Alex Winter was supposed to be remaking it 5 years ago.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
My wife and kids went to some of her extended family so I am free to get drunk on the couch with my cat and watch Gremlins, god bless us everyone.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I can't possibly see Suspiria as scary. It's great but never really scared me.

My personal favorite scare movie is The Thing. Still gets me

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The scariest movie of all time is The Gate.

This petrified me as a child and I've been meaning to catch it ever since.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Suspiria is a better movie on the whole, but the opening bit of Inferno is one of the most nerve racking pieces of cinema around.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vampyr is one of the scariest I've seen. It's like a filmed nightmare. Part of it has to do with it looking dingy and old, while having all this sweeping camera movement.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

i can totally see why one wouldn't, the movie has a certain detachment to it, but i think it does an outstanding job of triggering the blind panic reflex.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FishBulb posted:

That old witch in silhouette right at the end, oh my god. Freaks me out.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Holy poo poo, that is loving horrifying.

Deep Red has some good pants making GBS threads moments too

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We showed my newest roommate Alien for the first time last week, and he literally jumped when the alien appeared in the air duct to get Tom Skerritt. It was awesome.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Maybe not scary, but I got a good pick for disturbing alternate Christmas movie: Eastern Promises.

Gremlins can be real scary if you're a little kid, but it's pretty fun as an adult.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

even creepier is earlier in the movie, when all the girls have to sleep together in the dormitory and the witch is on the other side of the curtain *brr*

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Glamorama26 posted:

Deep Red has some good pants making GBS threads moments too

The old lady's face in the mirror!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the doll is for me the big genuine scare moment in Deep Red.

some of my favorite frightened reaction acting in that scene too. i love the way the guy nervously laughs like "oh, it's just a doll" and then remembers again that he's still very likely in grave danger if someone's sending spooky dolls after him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The hairy arm coming through the window has always been a big time nightmare image for me.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Getting some popcorn. Hateful 8 70 mm roadshow in 15 min. Yay

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm three episodes into Making a Murderer because you goofballs won't shut up about it, and the most chilling thing so far is the predatorily genial tone that the reporter trying to interview Jodi at the jail is taking. gently caress, man

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Gate is a movie I'm glad I saw as a kid but it didn't put quite the same "oh gently caress this movie" fear into baby me that Hooper's remake of Invaders From Mars did.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Wonder if this is a sore subject in the movie forum, but gently caress having to pay 14 bux for a small popcorn and med drink.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Wonder if this is a sore subject in the movie forum, but gently caress having to pay 14 bux for a small popcorn and med drink.

sneak yr own snax

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Guys I got a translation of the scrolls of the Natori-Ryu sword school for Christmas and it owns bones:

quote:

Recognizing the Start of Battle

As often as a hundred times a day, the two sides may face off and look as if they are about to start fighting. Do not be alarmed at this. Both sides will advance and the ashigaru will move into position and shoot their muskets but more often than not combat will not ensue. [...] It is also said that within three days of taking up a position, volleys of bullets will be shot. Do not become flustered at this. An army may fire off a volley of paper bullets to show that it owns a large number of muskets.

Commentator One

No one fighting a battle for the first time can show great skill as he will simply be preoccupied with the idea of fighting and have no grasp of the overall situation. [...] Neither army will commence battle until it is confident of victory. In former days, people used to be straightforward and honest and battles would proceed with righteousness. These days, people tend to be better at tactics. This tendency has developed since the period of Nobunaga, who was from the Taira family.

The whole thing is written in this hilariously frank but sometimes weirdly catty/condescending tone

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Bananana posted:

I almost always bring in my own poo poo but I couldn't find anywhere that was open before Hateful Eight last night, so I got a small drink and a small pizza (like the size of a personal pan at Pizza Hut) and that was also $14. The pizza wasn't very good at all. Such a ripoff.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It's me, I'm the shameful degenerate who orders chicken tenders and curly fries from AMC concession stands and says "ah, a tasty dinner"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have a lot of BAFTA screeners. Every night after we've put our son to bed, finished working, prepped dinner, exercised (my wife more so, me occasionally), done laundry etc we sit to watch something. It's usually approaching 9. Our son wakes early. I don't want to finish a film at 11. There are so few films I want to see that are less than 1:55. Most are around 2:00. So loving annoying.

therattle fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 26, 2015

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wow, Steam is hosed right now. Christmas Day when everyone's trying to cash out gift cards, too. It's logging people in and out of accounts at random. I went on there to scrub my credit card details from my account, but when I went to the page to do so, it was showing me some random guy's full name, cell number, and CC details.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

This one time I didn't eat something over the course of 2 hours. It was murder.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wow, Steam is hosed right now. Christmas Day when everyone's trying to cash out gift cards, too. It's logging people in and out of accounts at random. I went on there to scrub my credit card details from my account, but when I went to the page to do so, it was showing me some random guy's full name, cell number, and CC details.

Time to go shopping!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Fat Lou posted:

This one time I didn't eat something over the course of 2 hours. It was murder.

User name checks out

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
guys star wars fuckin owned

i didnt realize how hype i was for star wars as a concept until the crawl started and i busted into this huge fuckin grin

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Egbert Souse posted:

My list would add The Shining, Downfall, Taxi Driver, Vampyr, and Poltergeist.

Is there another Downfall I don't know of or are you talking about the 2004 one about the last days in Hitler's bunker?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Don't log on to steam right now if you're not the type of person to leave Steam on forever. Logging out won't help, but not logging in reduces the chances of your Steam account being cached.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hostile V posted:

I can't really imagine that you're gonna be happy with the DLCs either but yeah unfortunately Infinite is a very pretty fun game whose story starts to...go to Hell for Ken Levine related reasons.

That's what I feared. I wouldn't mind so much if the relationship between Booker, Elizabeth, and Comstock didn't feel like a worse retread of Bioshock 2. Or if the game had any confidence in the player and didn't explicitly spell out every single plot development.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Bioshock is a fantastically lame franchise

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

FishBulb posted:

Yeah

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snak posted:

man I want to watch this but I can't figure out how to DL videos from livestream. I guess I'll just hope that it stays up until later tonight until I have time to watch it.

I'll keep it up for as long as you want.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

FishBulb posted:

"Naw dude, Bioshock is proof that video games are a legitimate narrative art form rivaling film in literary quality! They've finally arrived!!"

A sentiment that makes me lol every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FishBulb posted:

the first one was good up to the big reveal and then it was just a long wet fart in your eyes

• Locked thread