Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Splatoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ahundredbux posted:

Say you love the creep in starcraft 2, what would be a good game to play that uses similar mechanics.. I suppose you could call it territory control or something idk

Isn't there an ooze faction in that Grey Goo?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ahundredbux posted:

Say you love the creep in starcraft 2, what would be a good game to play that uses similar mechanics.. I suppose you could call it territory control or something idk

Rise of Nations

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Do you like MOBA's? Heroes of the Storm has Zagara as a hero and creep mechanics are a big part of her playstyle.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Cultural victory?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Robo Reagan posted:

What are some good 4x games or I guess any game that's good for picking up then putting down for a few minutes every ~30 minutes?
I just recently got around to playing Age of Wonders 3 and can heartily recommend it for some turn-based fantasy 4X strategy. It's a kinda like HoMM with a bit of Civ 5 thrown in.
I'll just say I've been a fan of the HoMM games since my teen years, but I'm wondering why I should ever bother with that series again after having played AoW 3 for 60+ hours.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah aow 3 owns lots

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Trying to get two friends more into coop/competitive rts games. We played a couple hours of AOE2:HD yesterday and they're open to new games. So far on the list we have company of heroes/dawn of war, they also want to play rise of nations ( which looks just like aoe, which is fine just kind of boring for me ). Our only issue is one of the guys is playing on a kind of old Mac and I'm on PC so basically need games that scale well and are cross-platform.

Also they're not down for Starcraft :/

You need a competitive RTS that scales well and is cross-platform?

If you're not down for starcraft, warcraft 3 or starcraft 2 then you're kinda hosed :v:

Ahundredbux posted:

Splatoon. Otherwise you're looking at like.... warcraft 3? I'm not really sure how much else.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Trying to get two friends more into coop/competitive rts games. We played a couple hours of AOE2:HD yesterday and they're open to new games. So far on the list we have company of heroes/dawn of war, they also want to play rise of nations ( which looks just like aoe, which is fine just kind of boring for me ). Our only issue is one of the guys is playing on a kind of old Mac and I'm on PC so basically need games that scale well and are cross-platform.

Also they're not down for Starcraft :/

OpenRA?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I played Prison Architect recently and enjoyed it a ton. I'm looking for more games where you optimize processes and plan strategies by tinkering and building poo poo, preferably with a pause function so I can work at my own pace.

Already played Europa Universalis and Cities Skyline, I enjoyed those too. But smaller, charming stuff similar to Prison Architect would be real cool too.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Vegetable posted:

I played Prison Architect recently and enjoyed it a ton. I'm looking for more games where you optimize processes and plan strategies by tinkering and building poo poo, preferably with a pause function so I can work at my own pace.

Already played Europa Universalis and Cities Skyline, I enjoyed those too. But smaller, charming stuff similar to Prison Architect would be real cool too.

Factorio is p much Optimize Processes: The Game. Haven't played it, but Big Pharma seems like this as well. Rimworld is less about building systems and more watching virtual people die in weird ways, but it's a bit like Prison Architect.

For something a bit more puzzly, you can try any of the Zachtronics games, Infinifactory in particular.

axente
Aug 8, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Factorio is p much Optimize Processes: The Game. Haven't played it, but Big Pharma seems like this as well. Rimworld is less about building systems and more watching virtual people die in weird ways, but it's a bit like Prison Architect.

For something a bit more puzzly, you can try any of the Zachtronics games, Infinifactory in particular.

Factorio is a great building game and you really need to plan and optimize your builds otherwise you get to few output from x or y, etc. I really enjoy the game and has ton of mods to make a large game even larger.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vegetable posted:

Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius probably count.

And the entire Anno series, 2205, 2070, 1404, all great.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Factorio is absolutely amazing and exactly what you're looking for, but is currently a bit lacking in the way of internal documentation so don't get it if you're not prepared to spend some time on the wiki. (It's also not technically finished, but really they could release it tomorrow and it would be fine...) Spacechem and Infinifactory are both excellent from the puzzle point of view. I've heard Big Pharma gets pretty repetitive, though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Definitely look into the RollerCoaster Tycoon series. The first two scratch this itch really well, and there's been a recent effort to port* the games as OpenRCT2, which gives you nice things like HD resolutions.

* It's not really a port per se, they're actually rewriting all the game code in C since the original games were written in x86 Assembly.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I am desperate for a Ghost in the Shell style game, but without the limitations that games like Deus Ex have (chugging power drinks and eating chocolate bars to stay cloaked). EYE just doesn't cut it for me.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

What are some of the better fantasy 4x or HoMM-like games out there at the moment?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I am desperate for a Ghost in the Shell style game, but without the limitations that games like Deus Ex have (chugging power drinks and eating chocolate bars to stay cloaked). EYE just doesn't cut it for me.

Either EA's reboot of Syndicate or Satellite Reign.

OperaMouse posted:

What are some of the better fantasy 4x or HoMM-like games out there at the moment?

Definitely Age of Wonders III which is currently on sale on Steam for 70% off.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OperaMouse posted:

Endless Legend is flat out the best out there.

al-azad posted:

I'm very disappointed with Satellite Reign, it's so dull and lacks any atmosphere outside of the ridiculously pretty world.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endless Legend is flat out the best out there.

I'm very disappointed with Satellite Reign, it's so dull and lacks any atmosphere outside of the ridiculously pretty world.

Eh, I definitely think it's the most GiTS out of any game ever released. I don't know exactly what it is you're looking for, a cool cyberpunk world or super powered genetically engineered humans/androids wreaking havoc but there's not a wide selection. Maybe one of the older Syndicates like Syndicate Wars (which straight up has a GiTS advertisement in-game) but the original is a strategy game far removed from the action and Syndicate Wars is closer to an action game like the Darwinia series.

I haven't played it but Dex has been sitting on my wishlist since Steam's cyberpunk sale. I've also heard good things about Brigador which reminds me of Future Cop LAPD.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 24, 2015

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Ahundredbux posted:

This might be the opposite of what you actually want, the the Creeper World series of RTS games has you fight against creep, although in the 2nd and 3rd games you can create your own anti-creep.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

OperaMouse posted:

If you want to try something off the beaten path, give Thea: the Awakening a shot. It does the "War party with supporting village" thing quite well.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

This might be the opposite of what you actually want, the the Creeper World series of RTS games has you fight against creep, although in the 2nd and 3rd games you can create your own anti-creep.

I was pretty unclear in my request but creeper world sounds promising.

Splatoon is such a good recommendation that I feel bad about not owning a WiiU

Zagara, yeah she's my new go to in HotS

Thanks friends

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

OperaMouse posted:

I'll second Age of Wonders III, both the big DLCs (Golden Realms and Eternal Lords) are quite substantial as well and definitely worth getting while you're at it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

al-azad posted:

So not the GitS online game that's in early access on Steam, then? Is it terrible?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

pun pundit posted:

So not the GitS online game that's in early access on Steam, then? Is it terrible?

Honestly I forgot that was a thing. I don't know anything about it but based on user ratings and number of players it's certainly above average by Steam standards.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Picked up AoW3 and Thea. Thanks for the advice.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

pun pundit posted:

It's a pretty good shooter, but its more like CoD with a GitS skin.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What is gits?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

What is gits?

Ghost in the Shell. Cyberpunk series, first animated movie came out in 1995. Prominently features spider-tanks, cloaking and hacking people.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What are the good games that have online campaign co-op like Saints Row or Dying Light on PC or Xbone?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

signalnoise posted:

What are the good games that have online campaign co-op like Saints Row or Dying Light on PC or Xbone?

I got Divinity: Original Sin as a Christmas present from a friend and oh my god it's amazing. That could work out for you, it sure as hell is for me.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Please recommend me a good obscure game that involves eggs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Silver Snail posted:

How good are you at Japanese?

Failing that get some Billy Hatcher in your life.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

The Silver Snail posted:

does dyna brothers count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VnAh4UrSqk

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Silver Snail posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV-2RUseCys

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Silver Snail posted:

I've seen goons poo poo talk this game, but I think it's fun as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOjLLrJwW0g

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

signalnoise posted:

My friends and I picked up Vermintide during the current steam sale and have been having a blast. It's like Left 4 Dead but infinitely more fun and playable with distinct character classes and an RPG-like loot system.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Probottt posted:

My friends and I picked up Vermintide during the current steam sale and have been having a blast. It's like Left 4 Dead but infinitely more fun and playable with distinct character classes and an RPG-like loot system.

Is it one of those games like Payday or the old L4Ds where your matchmade teammates will piss and moan about not doing things ~optimally~?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You should check out the free mods Dystopia and Neotokyo. Neither is perfect but both are extremely GITS and good for some diversion.

OperaMouse posted:

Age of Wonders 3 hands down. Otherwise just play HoMM 3 because that's as good as it gets.