Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

nielsm posted:

I'm thinking about building an aviary-type cage for indoor. It would be about 2x1 meters on the base.

Today I made mockups of the two panels for the front face:

Obviously I'd use a mesh suited for aviaries, for the sketch I just picked a random mesh texture to indicate where it'd be.

The bottom doors I intend to be for cleaning the cage bottom. The top door in the right panel would be for general entry/exit, and the idea is to have some wire let it hang open at about 90 deg to serve as a landing platform too.

I want the entire thing to be raised about 30-40 cm from the floor. The back panels would probably be solid wood rather than mesh, but I'm not sure about that. (Mesh might be cheaper, but more labor to make the frame. A solid back also allows more places to mount things, and gives more of a corner to hide in.) I think I'd make one side panel mesh and the other solid.
The roof would be mesh.

I'll probably use some kind of bolts to mount the panels on the corner posts. Obviously I need to be able to disassemble it again.

Does this seem like a reasonable design? Is there something I'm forgetting to include? Something more I need to account for?

So if its for any type of parrot, they might just chew through the wood. Think about doing a large door to be able to get inside to clean. I have found that painted wood is a pain to clean. Well I take that back, this steam cleaner I picked up does a very good job cleaning wood (but it might take the paint off). You could use PVC pipe.

It would be lighter, easier to clean.

Step by step building that one. Its going to be my next spring project.

https://parrotsocietyofnwohio.wordpress.com/2010/08/14/pvc-aviary/

1500 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

1500 posted:

So if its for any type of parrot, they might just chew through the wood. Think about doing a large door to be able to get inside to clean. I have found that painted wood is a pain to clean. Well I take that back, this steam cleaner I picked up does a very good job cleaning wood (but it might take the paint off). You could use PVC pipe.

It would be lighter, easier to clean.

Step by step building that one. Its going to be my next spring project.

https://parrotsocietyofnwohio.wordpress.com/2010/08/14/pvc-aviary/

For a cockatiel (whom I hope to give a friend in not too long), but he isn't one to destroy things. He has trouble chewing through a fresh pepper fruit, although he does chew off twigs occasionally when I give him some fresh wood. I don't expect chewing damage to be a problem at all.

Also, as I mention, it's for indoor use. I live in a 3rd floor apartment, space is limited. So large doors are not really an option I consider. I think normal cleaning should be fine if I make sure to lacquer the wood well, so it can be wiped with regular dish detergent, and then keep the bottom lined with newspaper, as I do in my current cage. That should make daily cleaning simple, and thorough cleaning is doable if I make sure the side panels are detachable with 4-6 bolts.

Finally there's just aesthetic - most of my furniture is light-colored wood, as is the hardwood floor. A large PVC or metal aviary-style cage wouldn't look good.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

i poop fire posted:

This little doofus is always sleeping like this when I visit the pet shop.

holy poo poo :kimchi:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

i poop fire posted:

Saw the Dead Parrot Sketch and decided to troll everyone

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Holy poo poo that is adorable. I don't think I could actually resist if I saw that in real life. That bird would be bought immediately.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Chaosfeather posted:

Holy poo poo that is adorable.

Seriously. That's weapons-grade.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Taco, why can't you be more like the conure in the photo?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
What is it about my ponytail that is so sexually arousing to bird :psyduck:

i poop fire posted:

Uwaaaaaa :swoon:

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

i poop fire posted:

I can't handle this bird.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

look at this crow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sICaV6VKI6I

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nielsm posted:

I'm thinking about building an aviary-type cage for indoor. It would be about 2x1 meters on the base.

Today I made mockups of the two panels for the front face:

What did you use for the mockups? A big door for cleaning is an absolute must.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

another good raven video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZyBNWVD70w

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Eejit posted:

e: I also learned I can cradle him like a baby, probably because he is so good about being burritoed for nail trimming

Cockatoo loaf.

i poop fire posted:

Please say he's extremely violent towards people or never stops screaming or something to balance it out because this is too much :kimchi:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Seriously. That's weapons-grade.

Weapons-grade cute conure?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

What did you use for the mockups? A big door for cleaning is an absolute must.

Used SketchUp.

I tried "assembling" the full thing I have in mind, although it's missing a roof:

I'd be bolting the panels on, so removing one would just be screwing off about 6 nuts

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One of those side panels really does need a hinged door, have you ever seen a vet assisting a cow with a difficult birth? It's going to be exactly like that when you need to reach in and pick up a dropped bowl or toy at a time you dont want to be unscrewing the side.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

learnincurve posted:

One of those side panels really does need a hinged door, have you ever seen a vet assisting a cow with a difficult birth? It's going to be exactly like that when you need to reach in and pick up a dropped bowl or toy at a time you dont want to be unscrewing the side.

Good point on that.
I guess I could mount the left front panel with hinges on the left side instead. And then the bottom doors do become rather more pointless.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

Please say he's extremely violent towards people or never stops screaming or something to balance it out because this is too much :kimchi:

No he just cheeps quietly and fights his little koosh balls on his hammock. The only problem is he's been sold already. :saddowns:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

i poop fire posted:

No he just cheeps quietly and fights his little koosh balls on his hammock. The only problem is he's been sold already. :saddowns:

Grace that home with your royal presence, oh mighty koosh-bird. May you always have a snuggly hammock, fuzzy warms and good food.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
raven playing in the snow

https://youtube.com/watch?v=e_z49voC3gQ

my partner and I say "WOTS UP" to each other sometimes because of this video. livin that bird crazies life

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

i poop fire posted:

omg....

I have fallen in love here...that is seriously one of the most adorable things I have ever seen.

You know, this is NOT helping me wait until next year to get my birb you know :( My husband heard me d'awwwwwwing from the other room and immediately said "Is it a conure pic?" Came in, looked at it, and said "Yup...that is cute." He NEVER says that!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Gosh this also just too adorable. None of my birds want to cuddle in my sleeve :mad:
Awww, his faaaaaace :h:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I like to think the younger crow is just all "hey, dude's not so bad, see? chill out"

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ozz81 posted:

I like to think the younger crow is just all "hey, dude's not so bad, see? chill out"
I should have linked it with a timecode. If anyone can't make it through the first minute of the guy being a dork, here's what happens:

A baby crow likes this guy and climbs up into his lap. The adult crows flying overhead are flipping out. The guy tries
to pet the baby crow's feet and it immediately steps up and looks pleased. The adult crows continue to lose their poo poo.

I love talking corvids. I remember another video where a crow comes onto the porch and climbs into some dude's lap. His girlfriend is all "pet him" and the guy goes "nah, he got the big-rear end beak", to which the crow replies "gently caress YOU"

titties fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 23, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I found a video of another blue Quaker doing what Bobby does for hours on end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6K1t72XAuY

I am 90% sure this has to do with the breeder being in hospital when he was still being weaned and her husband doing it, and not doing it right because despite his best intentions, he just didn't know what he was doing (pretty much what they told me). Alarm bells should have been ringing when I heard that i guess, but god drat. He didn;t do it so much in the winter but when I first got him and for the past few weeks, it's all he does all day long. He has new toys and food and water, I do my absolute best to not encourage it, which is leading to him being attention starved because he doesn't stop and rewarding him with my presence is going to make it worse.

I've tried replacing it with a whistle, and sometimes he will whistle, at which point I try to whistle back, but as soon as I make a noise, the screaming starts again. This is driving me nuts, do you guys have any ideas at all as to what I can do different because I'm at my wits end with this bird. I really honestly love him when he's not like this but that hasn't happened for at least a month.

E: Bobby's screaming is constant. Maybe a second or 2 of gap between squawks for hours on end. He still bobbed like a baby when I got him, which they aren't supposed to do (maybe just head nodding, but not the baby shake) after being weaned because it's toddler bird behaviour, but I encouraged it because I thought it was cute, I even named him for it, but that probably doesn't help either.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 24, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

titties posted:

I love talking corvids. I remember another video where a crow comes onto the porch and climbs into some dude's lap. His girlfriend is all "pet him" and the guy goes "nah, he got the big-rear end beak", to which the crow replies "gently caress YOU"

Maybe this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifCmvLNQl3s

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

raven playing in the snow

https://youtube.com/watch?v=e_z49voC3gQ

my partner and I say "WOTS UP" to each other sometimes because of this video. livin that bird crazies life

Gosh darn it all. :swoon: I know I have picked the correct bird family to create super sized, super powered, things of mythology out of, videos like this just reinforces it. :kimchi:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Every budgie ever, translated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMz-P5n57KA

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Anyone here have a Pionus? I saw one being boarded at Night Owl Bird hospital, I think it was a Maximillian. Nice looking bird and apparently they are pretty chill too.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

That question has nothing to do with my thumbs looking like I was flagellating them due to bird ownership.

In other news we ran out of Harrison's Adult Lifetime Coarse (which we crush up a bit with a mortar and pestle) and so did our shop, so we bought the High Potency Coarse and Scout is going to loving town on it. It's like watching Pam eating cocaine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mikerock posted:

It's like watching Pam eating cocaine.

Don't tease me.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Don't tease me.

I'll try and get photos of a GCC with its head in a white bowl burbling away excitedly at some point. In the mean time have a reminder that everyone in this thread should be following World Parrot Trust on Facebook

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Birds are such noble looking creatures.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Birds are such noble looking creatures.

:byodood:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
holy poo poo that conure's face is incredible

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Happy whatever my bird enthusiast friends! I hope it is marvelous, you are all my favorites :)

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

What did everyone's birds get from santa this year??

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

blackflare posted:

What did everyone's birds get from santa this year??

^^^

I want to know :) I cannot wait till next Christmas when I will hopefully have (a) birb(s) to spoil rotten...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It's absurd but I feel really bad because I'm at my boyfriend's parents' all day and also couldn't afford to buy Ama a new playgym this year :saddowns: but we had a very nice day yesterday, we took a nap together and he got a bath and some rice and corn chips and lots of scritches :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pion only got a larger serving of food than usual on the eve of 24th, while I was gone to my family.
But I'm planning to strip the little tree I've had through the month (a tiny spruce) and build a kind of play stand from it, and some more perches.