Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Bucket of water?

The setup for that toilet is that there is one of those coin machines that spits out five baht's worth of paper as you go in. The machine was broken.

Being slightly hungover I didn't realise before dropping the kids off at the pool that the cubicle lacked a gun or indeed any kind of concessions to basic hygiene.

Moral of the story, carrying your own tissue at all times is a solid idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Negligent posted:

Moral of the story, carrying your own tissue at all times is a solid idea.

Left rear (heh) pocket. Wet wipes and tissues. Whenever I'm in Thailand my "personal belongings" pat down of "phone, wallet, keys, sunglasses" is adjusted to "phone, wallet, keys, sunglasses, emergency making GBS threads supplies" because we've all made the mistake of leaving the house unprepared for Somtam's Revenge.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've always assumed the water bucket and cup was to flush the toilet because the plumbing doesn't always work. Most people I see just bring their own tissue into the toilet.
I think it's more a matter of some toilets simply not having the pull-and-flush functionality, in simple living spaces where money is tight. I've seen toilets in Phili where it was just the bowl, and a bigass tank of water with a scoop nearby. When you're done, you flush by scooping water into the bowl, and it really does the same as a modern toilet.

Oh, and the barely 3x3 feet room doubled as a bathroom, with the same tank of water as a source of bathing water. No shower head or anything. Glad I don't live there, heh.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There's always at least one old man who refuses to use the shower head after its installed because of his pride in bucket water throwing skillz

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
No surprises here :(

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/24/thailand-backpacker-murders-bar-workers-found-guilty-of-killing-british-tourists

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

This is a hosed up world we live in. :(

I bet the murderer was white.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My colleagues are starting to think the pair are guilty just because the British families are convinced.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Atlas Hugged posted:

My colleagues are starting to think the pair are guilty just because the British families are convinced.
Have they referred to them as "fookin' immigrants" yet?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm so sad to leave Thailand. No more durian flavored burps and wet muddy shits.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Do you guys always get asked for directions or is there just something about me that says to people around me 'this guy knows where he's going'?

An Irishman, a Chinese and a Thai walk into a bar ride motorbikes around Chiang Mai and get lost. Half the traffic problems are probably just people with no sense of direction riding laps clockwise and then counterclockwise around the old city all day.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I have to say I'm shocked as hell to find decent Italian food here. I was getting a bit tired of Thai food finally so we dropped into this Italian spot in Ko Tao. I expected some subpar pasta with bad sauce, but it's surprisingly good. I think the access to fresh seafood helps a lot. Welp that's my story today, back to downing cheap beer.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I have to say I'm shocked as hell to find decent Italian food here. I was getting a bit tired of Thai food finally so we dropped into this Italian spot in Ko Tao. I expected some subpar pasta with bad sauce, but it's surprisingly good. I think the access to fresh seafood helps a lot. Welp that's my story today, back to downing cheap beer.

Which restaurant? There are some pretty decent places there.

Kind of on topic.... back at Christmas 2012 I was just out of hospital, recovering from dengue fever on Koh Tao. Christmas 2015 sees me spending most of the day in bed here in Australia, with occasional dashes to poop and puke uncontrollably. I think I'm allergic to Christmas :sigh:

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Also want to know. Are the owners Mano and Sara from Rome? If you go back, ask please.

My story for today. 730 baht for a helmet, 150 for a crap motorcycle in Mae Hong Son. Holy gently caress is it ever good here.

Goats, I found your coffee guy. Amazing. Pala Coffee in Ban Ruam Thai. I'll return there tomorrow. And their fried rice with chicken was drat good too. Freshest ingredients I've yet had.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I fell off my motorbike on the way to Pai. Front wheel lost traction on a steep downhill lefthand hairpin. I think it was oil or something on the road, 1 year old Honda with new tires. Could have been way worse. Didn't break the skin of my palms in the fall, only small grazes through my clothes. Wearing jeans and a jacket paid off there.

Impression of Pai: a ton of white people. The more enterprising Thais have already worked out how to flog yoga and organic vegan food for a nice profit.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
poo poo dude glad you're okay! You're down the drat street from me. Meet for a beer, maybe not in Pai? Heh.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Thaita Italian Restaurant. I didn't catch the owners name, but he was definitely an Italian guy, he popped by my table briefly to ask how everything was (spoiler alert: it was delicious).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FaceEater posted:

Also want to know. Are the owners Mano and Sara from Rome? If you go back, ask please.

My story for today. 730 baht for a helmet, 150 for a crap motorcycle in Mae Hong Son. Holy gently caress is it ever good here.

Goats, I found your coffee guy. Amazing. Pala Coffee in Ban Ruam Thai. I'll return there tomorrow. And their fried rice with chicken was drat good too. Freshest ingredients I've yet had.

Two goons straddle nearly a decade ~~

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
The Singapore thread is quiet and boring and I want to hang out here. Metaphor for my life.

I was legitimately disappointed that the bumgun is virtually nonexistent in Singapore. That more than anything else reinforces how little it feels like southeast Asia there.

The food is good but I miss Thai food so much still.

Also I'm going to Hong Kong for Chinese new years. Bad idea or terrible idea?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Some people like HK, I went in April and again just now and I'm yet to discover its supposed charms. Too many people, too few concessions to basic social nicety.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Friends got hosed on their flight into Singapore, stuck in the states due to mechanical issues.

So, I'm in Singapore tomorrow (27th) solo for the day if anybody wants to hang out. My only to-do is to see that super weird morality park.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I like the bum gun a lot. To the point that I want to install one in my bathroom at home. My wife thinks I'm weird and gross.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I like the bum gun a lot. To the point that I want to install one in my bathroom at home. My wife thinks I'm weird and gross.

They have kits on Amazon and they're really easy to install.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah I might look into that when we get back.

I'm getting pretty tired of Ko Tao. Too many drunk European backpackers, though the scuba diving has been fantastic. One more day and then heading up to the north to finish our trip.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
I went back here have a photo

E holy table breaker

E2 it was the first \ last shop before the town gates, and he had a set of bungalows back behind the shop. Older dude, spoke pretty drat good English.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 26, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
No sign specifically advertising coffee when I was there. Take a picture down the road of the town if you get a chance, I wanna see it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The Singapore thread has a few guys that will PM you if you say you're coming and want to hang out and will organize goonmeets for you. Meanwhile, in SEA, everyone is antisocial and lame. BOO THIS THREAD

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The Singapore thread has a few guys that will PM you if you say you're coming and want to hang out and will organize goonmeets for you. Meanwhile, in SEA, everyone is antisocial and lame. BOO THIS THREAD

Agreed.

I miss ringo r

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Shnicker posted:

Also I'm going to Hong Kong for Chinese new years. Bad idea or terrible idea?

I've been to Hong Kong 3 times, once for HK 7s, one for CNY and one at a normal time. CNY is super quiet, basically every ship out stall that isn't a major chain will be closed and most of the small food places will also be closed. On top of that a lot of the restaurants that employ mostly Chinese staff will be closed too.

On the plus side, depending on how things have changed, it is one of the few times you'll be able to get around without crowds of people everywhere. For seeing the city itself it's probably a pretty good time. Personally I like shopping and eating in places so it's a really bad time.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Thaita Italian Restaurant. I didn't catch the owners name, but he was definitely an Italian guy, he popped by my table briefly to ask how everything was (spoiler alert: it was delicious).

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah I might look into that when we get back.

I'm getting pretty tired of Ko Tao. Too many drunk European backpackers, though the scuba diving has been fantastic. One more day and then heading up to the north to finish our trip.

Ah. Thaita is excellent. I used to live very close to it, and although it was rarely busy the food was always great. I don't remember the guy's name either but he was hilarious, and used to break out the Amaro Montenegro with me every so often. Lovely guy but his accent became impossibly thick and indecipherable as he wrapped the evening up with some red wine. They used to have two very aggressive dogs who chased people as they walked past. I kicked one once as it nipped at my feet and it didn't ever bother me again. I'll never forget the feeling of walking past that place during monsoon season, at night, shortly after the rain had stopped. Frogs honking, languid, cool, heavy air, the smell of dough proofing mixed with basil and garlic... :sigh:

Have a beer at Banyan bar :) Opposite Asia Divers.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

We're actually around a lot! I'm super busy with work, but I see Atlas and Chair about once every month or so lately. Same for Chantilly until he left recently. Still chat with Ringo regularly even though he left over a year ago and saw him regularly when he was here. Chat with Tytan regularly and now I'll see him about once a month, give or take. See Ganguro King all the time. I think I've met eviljelly and Sheep-Goats every time they've come through town as well as Mothra and I've met countless other transiting goons, at least 20-30. There are a few long-time residents I haven't met, like FortMan who seems to be Thai and living in Northern Thailand and Bardeh who seems to be living in Southern Thailand (I think?). Also, amazingly, Finch! and I have never crossed paths. caberham has been here twice that I know of. Once, Ringo R met him and I was gone. The next time, Ringo R and I met and waited for his call, but he never showed up and "lost his phone" somewhere in Huai Kwang I'm sure, so I've never met caberham. I think that's just about everyone except Negligent, who seems to be in Northern Thailand and who I have somehow missed completely, but would like to meet whenever we're all around . There was a spate of guys who came through recently that I really wanted to meet, but at the same time my business got really busy and I had some issues with a competitor that had to be taken care of, and I all but disappeared from here. A bunch of us all post in the LINE channel constantly, though mostly the Thailand goons. The other SE Asia goons, kru excepted, can't stand all the beeping!

I think one of the big distinctions is that we get a shitload of visitors here and we don't traditionally have many goon teachers, so either you're living here long-term or you're passing through quickly - and there are just no local Thai people posting other than FortMan (who should post more). The other Asian threads are full of teachers or military or diplomats or language studiers and the like, all of whom are a transient community who have more common interests - and among the teachers, especially, there's a huge amount of shared interest and a desire to discuss what they're doing. Then there's often a few local people who speak English and participate with some regularity. We now do have a preponderance of teachers, but just barely. Tytan and I work in the same field in different countries. Ringo in a tangentially related field. Chair, Atlas and Bardeh (I think) are teachers. Ganguro is in something else altogether. kru posts here and in the LINE channel in spite of being in Singapore and the various Malaysia and Indonesia based goons in here aren't very active, unfortunately, though I wish they were and they do show up sometimes for barrages of activity (lemonsweet, Saddset Rhino, MrNemo, etc).

So, yeah, drop a line in here and one of us is usually around.

EDIT: We also seem to have a lot of long-term posters who are only here randomly, like eviljelly, Finch!!!!!, Xyrloc, Crono, Sheep-Goats and caberham. Not sure how that is everywhere else. They're not like departed goons, they just visit sometimes, but post regularly. Hard to be social when they're not here!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 27, 2015

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
I'll be chilling around Mae Hong Son another few days I think. Anyone wanna hang?

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Just a reminder for anyone who comes to Phnom Penh, it's literally compulsory to have a beer and eat beef bbq with me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Tytan posted:

Just a reminder for anyone who comes to Phnom Penh, it's literally compulsory to have a beer and eat beef bbq with me.

How's Wednesday?

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Wednesday is good, PM me if you're gonna be about.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
It'd be faster to fly from Toronto (mid-North America) than Vancouver (West Coast), right? Google flights seems to indicate a couple hours difference but I'm not sure how much of that is lay-overs. I was thinking I'd skip back to Laos and Cambodia late summer/fall after some time in terrona.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

What about the corn!?

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Well of course the corn is included.

(I still need to try out that recipe. Corn has no right to be that tasty).

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

We're actually around a lot! I'm super busy with work, but I see Atlas and Chair about once every month or so lately. Same for Chantilly until he left recently. Still chat with Ringo regularly even though he left over a year ago and saw him regularly when he was here. Chat with Tytan regularly and now I'll see him about once a month, give or take. See Ganguro King all the time. I think I've met eviljelly and Sheep-Goats every time they've come through town as well as Mothra and I've met countless other transiting goons, at least 20-30. There are a few long-time residents I haven't met, like FortMan who seems to be Thai and living in Northern Thailand and Bardeh who seems to be living in Southern Thailand (I think?). Also, amazingly, Finch! and I have never crossed paths. caberham has been here twice that I know of. Once, Ringo R met him and I was gone. The next time, Ringo R and I met and waited for his call, but he never showed up and "lost his phone" somewhere in Huai Kwang I'm sure, so I've never met caberham. I think that's just about everyone except Negligent, who seems to be in Northern Thailand and who I have somehow missed completely, but would like to meet whenever we're all around . There was a spate of guys who came through recently that I really wanted to meet, but at the same time my business got really busy and I had some issues with a competitor that had to be taken care of, and I all but disappeared from here. A bunch of us all post in the LINE channel constantly, though mostly the Thailand goons. The other SE Asia goons, kru excepted, can't stand all the beeping!

I think one of the big distinctions is that we get a shitload of visitors here and we don't traditionally have many goon teachers, so either you're living here long-term or you're passing through quickly - and there are just no local Thai people posting other than FortMan (who should post more). The other Asian threads are full of teachers or military or diplomats or language studiers and the like, all of whom are a transient community who have more common interests - and among the teachers, especially, there's a huge amount of shared interest and a desire to discuss what they're doing. Then there's often a few local people who speak English and participate with some regularity. We now do have a preponderance of teachers, but just barely. Tytan and I work in the same field in different countries. Ringo in a tangentially related field. Chair, Atlas and Bardeh (I think) are teachers. Ganguro is in something else altogether. kru posts here and in the LINE channel in spite of being in Singapore and the various Malaysia and Indonesia based goons in here aren't very active, unfortunately, though I wish they were and they do show up sometimes for barrages of activity (lemonsweet, Saddset Rhino, MrNemo, etc).

So, yeah, drop a line in here and one of us is usually around.

EDIT: We also seem to have a lot of long-term posters who are only here randomly, like eviljelly, Finch!!!!!, Xyrloc, Crono, Sheep-Goats and caberham. Not sure how that is everywhere else. They're not like departed goons, they just visit sometimes, but post regularly. Hard to be social when they're not here!

I've yet to meet any SEA goons, but if anyone finds themselves in Chiang Rai then drop me a line and I'll do my best to come meet up with you! I'm back in the UK for the holidays right now, but I'll be flying back toward the end of January.

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008

a drink or two posted:

Hi thread, boring questions here too. Tell me where to go: I (with my girlfriend) will have 4-5 days at the end of Jan, flying out of Singapore. We are looking for a good beach-ish destination. Criteria - easy to get to from SG, good beach, not super touristy or party-oriented but not completely deserted either. Would like to pay $30-60 for decent accommodation. Will mainly do the beach, some snorkelling and hiking would be cool too, no diving or anything required.

Krabi? Langkawi? Fly to Phuket and get the gently caress out?

So I ended up getting flights to Krabi. Any suggestions for a place to stay either in Krabi or on one of the islands accessible from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but it's actually quite surpising how cool and well-adjusted* Goons living in South East Asia are.

*Aside from the massive amounts of drinking, but I think that's just standard for SEA.