Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BobHoward posted:

You seem to have a few 5.25" half-height and full-height drives, this shames me as the best I can do is a 3.5" half-height monolith (it is all black and very squared off) that was the last generation of HDD sold by Micropolis before they exited the HDD market.

(the only reason I haven't gotten rid of it tbqh is that it may or may not have data on it that I'd want to erase and I don't think I have anything which speaks SCSI anymore, so I'm pretty much a failure at hoarding properly, although I do honestly have way too many old useless computers)

I have 2-3 old UltraSCSI 320 controllers, and at least 5-10 drives.

Oh, and this.

And an older SATA Supermicro Server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

priznat posted:

This reminds me, I have a bunch of PATA drives that relatives gave me to "wipe off", what'd be the best way to destroy them that won't make a huge mess? And that doesn't involve having to unscrew each one to get the platters out.

Just curious if there is a quick and easy way to make a drive unreadable anymore. I have nothing that talks to PATA anymore and I don't want to get an adapter..

A degausser is really the only way to truly erase a drive without plugging it into a computer or destroying it, however those are expensive.

If the goal is to just make it unreadable when plugged into a computer then you could just get some pliers and start pulling out the pins in the pata port, or if there is what looks like a ribbon cable going to the center of the drive cutting that should do the trick. This won't technically erase the drive but it would be very time consuming/expensive to recover the data.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

priznat posted:

This reminds me, I have a bunch of PATA drives that relatives gave me to "wipe off", what'd be the best way to destroy them that won't make a huge mess? And that doesn't involve having to unscrew each one to get the platters out.

Just curious if there is a quick and easy way to make a drive unreadable anymore. I have nothing that talks to PATA anymore and I don't want to get an adapter..

I'd just hit them with a hammer a few times. Aim for the central column, if the platters become mis-aligned to each other, recovery is practically impossible. You can also probably wail on the entire casing pretty hard from the top of the drive and not make much of a mess.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Krailor posted:

A degausser is really the only way to truly erase a drive without plugging it into a computer or destroying it, however those are expensive.

If the goal is to just make it unreadable when plugged into a computer then you could just get some pliers and start pulling out the pins in the pata port, or if there is what looks like a ribbon cable going to the center of the drive cutting that should do the trick. This won't technically erase the drive but it would be very time consuming/expensive to recover the data.

This is probably the best choice. Or the hammer. Consider your threat model -- dumpster-diving for drives, then building the relevant chain of obsolete techs required to read them is expensive. Unless your family/friends have made very specific enemies with considerable resources they're willing to use, no one's going to bother. So if no one involved has pissed off a state actor or a Mafia don or something, just rip a couple pins out and/or bang it with a hammer and call it a day. Heck, even if you threw them away intact, 99.9% of the time you're fine.

You see this thinking more commonly with paper shredders and ID theft. Skimming and hacking databases has infinitely better ROI than sifting through the trash for grandma's SSN.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thanks for the responses all, good ideas.

Yeah I would rate the risk of anything on the drives being compromised as very low, with the value of the data even lower. I was curious if there were any quick kill methods like punching out the spindle or drilling a hole thru the platters that people preferred.

I think my method will be wrap with plastic wrap to contain fragments then bash with a 5lb hammer. Should do er nicely!

Somewhat related question for everyone: what is the smallest drive you'd bother hanging on to for storage, like at what point is the power used by a drive mean it's just no longer worth keeping? I am guessing there is a storage/watt metric (one for idle, one for active), I need to look into that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You could take a punch and drive it through the case into the platters, but that would require a punch and hammer.

Any time I had to dispose of personal stuff I've just taken pliers to the PCB and wrecked it beyond economical repair. You could obviously just replace the PCB but that's a personal risk I'm wiling to take.

I work in the financial industry and the regulations for shredding work disks are a little stricter, to say the least :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Martytoof posted:

You could take a punch and drive it through the case into the platters, but that would require a punch and hammer.

Any time I had to dispose of personal stuff I've just taken pliers to the PCB and wrecked it beyond economical repair. You could obviously just replace the PCB but that's a personal risk I'm wiling to take.

I work in the financial industry and the regulations for shredding work disks are a little stricter, to say the least :v:

Do they have any industrial grade shredders that can munch a 3.5" hdd? That would be frigging cool. Like a scaled down version of the thing that can grind up 60 gallon drums filled with concrete.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Why not just DBAN a couple of passes? Or did they actually want the drives 'destroyed'?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

Why not just DBAN a couple of passes? Or did they actually want the drives 'destroyed'?

For me, I don't have any PATA interface controllers anymore, these are some old rear end drives.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Martytoof posted:

I would think a simple hammer and nail of really any sort would also be 99.999% effective.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

priznat posted:

Do they have any industrial grade shredders that can munch a 3.5" hdd? That would be frigging cool. Like a scaled down version of the thing that can grind up 60 gallon drums filled with concrete.

This is precisely what we hire at work. A truck comes and shreds it to within our specs (we have specs for maximum debris size) then gives us a certificate of destruction with the serial number.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DrDork posted:

I would think a simple hammer and nail of really any sort would also be 99.999% effective.

poo poo, for ordinary personal data just smash the electronics on the bottom and tear off the PATA + Molex plugs with a pair of pliers. 99.999% nobody working at the garbage dump is going to bother recovering data from an old, broken-looking HDD even if the platters inside are actually intact.

e: I missed that Martytoof said the same thing a few posts above, whoops.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 26, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

movax posted:

You only need one pass.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't the old standby just using a drill with a good metal bit?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
grab a set of allen keys and just take the thing apart

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Don Lapre posted:

grab a set of allen keys and just take the thing apart

....most drives are torx screws?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Right, use those instead, the idea is still valid.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Thanks for the responses all, good ideas.

Yeah I would rate the risk of anything on the drives being compromised as very low, with the value of the data even lower. I was curious if there were any quick kill methods like punching out the spindle or drilling a hole thru the platters that people preferred.

I think my method will be wrap with plastic wrap to contain fragments then bash with a 5lb hammer. Should do er nicely!

Somewhat related question for everyone: what is the smallest drive you'd bother hanging on to for storage, like at what point is the power used by a drive mean it's just no longer worth keeping? I am guessing there is a storage/watt metric (one for idle, one for active), I need to look into that.

Duct tape them together, and drill press with 1/2" bit is my preferred mass-destruction method.

And to answer your second question, 750GB is my current cutoff. It's about to move to 1TB.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

priznat posted:

I've seen them (used to work in E-Waste industry). They are pretty cool, but expensive. A cheaper mass destruction method is to use an extremely high powered press to crush/bend the drive beyond reasonable recovery. Shredding is usually the best bet, as even the NSA can't put Humpty Dumpty back together, especially when mixed with 1000 other drive bits. Also easier to recycle the ground up bits.

While I still 'have' 120gb PATA drives lying around, this is only because I'm lazy. I wouldn't consider using anything smaller than 1tb, and then I'm stretching to find a use.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
DoD standards for drive destruction are mostly based around denying metadata to adversaries. For example, they may be able to put together serial numbers of drives or even composition of the metals used in known government drives and correlate them with suppliers (oftentimes in countries hostile to the US although Thailand is neutral officially I think), which is a seriously big deal if you look at it as a sort of big data type of problem.

Just run random zeros across your drives and you're fine from the digital boogeyman. The time that you may want to employ outlandish methods is mostly when the drive is malfunctioning and you can't erase anything via software anymore. I'd just send them to folks that work with Iron Mountain or (optionally) not care because you're using encrypted filesystem volumes anyway if you're this paranoid.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
So uh, how do platters do against liquid damage? Punch a hole and toss them into a bucket of water or soda? (Or whatever household liquid that could corrode the platters if there is one)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

japtor posted:

So uh, how do platters do against liquid damage? Punch a hole and toss them into a bucket of water or soda? (Or whatever household liquid that could corrode the platters if there is one)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-destroy-a-hard-drive-permanently/

quote:

Water might short out the electronics, but that’s about it. “The data's still on the platters, regardless if they got wet or not,” explains Russell Chozick, vice president of Flashback Data, a data-recovery firm in Austin, Texas. As long as the platters are not allowed to dry out, which he says could leave hard-to-clean residue behind, forensics experts should be able to recover data with relative ease.

Sounds like drilling holes in aluminum platters is the way to go, or shattering glass ones based on that article if you're sufficiently :tinfoil:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DS380 review (got one for christmas)

loving awesome but one of my drive activity leds is bad but amazon is swapping it out.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Don Lapre posted:

DS380 review (got one for christmas)

loving awesome but one of my drive activity leds is bad but amazon is swapping it out.

I had two ordered at uni and yeah they're awesome. The only thing missing is some sort of rubber shock mount for the hard drives like in the Fractal Design Node cases.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
Well, I had ZFS save my rear end for the first major time at home. I have a 17mo old toddler, and set the keyboard down for just a few seconds. The window that had focus was our media center machine's access to ZFS media share. He deleted the entire TV folder (3TB, about 12000 files). I didn't even get mildly irritated. I just logged into FreeNAS, reverted to the daily snapshot for that folder, and went on with my day. Glorious.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

insularis posted:

Well, I had ZFS save my rear end for the first major time at home. I have a 17mo old toddler, and set the keyboard down for just a few seconds. The window that had focus was our media center machine's access to ZFS media share. He deleted the entire TV folder (3TB, about 12000 files). I didn't even get mildly irritated. I just logged into FreeNAS, reverted to the daily snapshot for that folder, and went on with my day. Glorious.

Thats awesome and makes me want to try ZFS. Having said that, make that share read only ;)

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

insularis posted:

Well that's awesome for ZFS.

But how the hell did he manage the delete? If that kid ran an rm at 17 months no storage solution is gonna be safe from him.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe
Windows exposed CIFS share. It needs write access for several reasons. Mostly, I have a keyboard lock macro that seals the keyboard after a combo keystroke or timeout, but I just forgot this one time.

I have all the delete safeties turned off on Windows for the particular account I was working on for a few minutes. It's protected in several layers from utter destruction. Snapshots, ZFS Send weekly jobs to a separate pool, one offline copy, etc. And, this is only media, nothing too terribly irreplaceable.

I do all this stuff so I don't have to worry.

Snapshots were just fantastic for an instantaneous multiple terabyte restore. So, so nice. That's what I was getting at. Restoring from backups usually suuuuuuuuucks. This is like cheating.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
Since upgrading to freenas 9.3 stable I'm getting:

Firmware version 15 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0

Should I be concerned about this and how do I resolve this?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No idea on how concerned you should be, but to make it go away you need to flash newer firmware on your LSI controller.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Snapshots aren't exactly magic. If you take a snapshot, delete data, and go write a bunch more data you will run out of disk like the data hadn't been deleted.

Still, snapshots before an operation on large volumes of data is probably not a bad idea. Would have saved me from an rsync that decided that it's totally cool to not transfer, count them as successful, and delete all source files.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Yeah I had the same issue updating 9.3 over the summer with my LSI 9211-8i HBA. Flashing it to the most recent version will fix it.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

Megaman posted:

Since upgrading to freenas 9.3 stable I'm getting:

Firmware version 15 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0

Should I be concerned about this and how do I resolve this?

I've never updated mine, and have had no issues on two separate machines (I'm on version 16 and 17 respectively, getting warnings about version 19).

I've heard there are issues with version 19+ since Avago took over LSI, but that's unconfirmed. I'm just sticking at my current versions.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

necrobobsledder posted:

Snapshots aren't exactly magic. If you take a snapshot, delete data, and go write a bunch more data you will run out of disk like the data hadn't been deleted.

Still, snapshots before an operation on large volumes of data is probably not a bad idea. Would have saved me from an rsync that decided that it's totally cool to not transfer, count them as successful, and delete all source files.

Yeah, I know. I generally keep ahead on storage so there's quite a bit free at any given time (e.g., 30% free when possible, add vdev at that point).

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I'm trying to get rtorrent on FreeNAS running and haven't had much luck. I've followed this guide https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-install-rutorrent-with-lighttpd.28641/ including all the follow up errata without any success. When going to the rutorrent URL I get a 404 error after putting in the .htpasswd info. I'm pretty sure it is purely permission issues but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot as I don't have much experience with FreeBSD. For some reason rtorrent doesn't start using the provided auto-startup stuff in a crontab so I manually run the screen command. Not sure if that is related or just something else I messed up. When I manually run rtorrent it seems to start fine but again I'm not super familiar with much so I'm not sure what I should be checking. Any tips on how to individually check what might be failing? I've started over from scratch a couple times with the same results.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
I'm looking to spend $500 - $ 600 on a NAS. Use case is file storage, a centralized iTunes library and photo storage. If available I'll play with Docker a bit but it's not crucial. I have no plans to direct attach via HDMI, and I might do very rare Plex or direct download to a Tivo. I'm looking at 4-5 disks so I can get a decent RAID 5 setup.

I'm pretty familiar with ZFS, but I've never built a PC from scratch and I don't really want to deal with too much sysadmin work (I do enough for $DAYJOB).

I was looking at the QNAP product line, and was trying to choose between the TS-563, TS-453A, TS-531P, and the TS-451+. Any experience or advice for me?

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know

Jik Waffleson posted:

I'm looking to spend $500 - $ 600 on a NAS. Use case is file storage, a centralized iTunes library and photo storage. If available I'll play with Docker a bit but it's not crucial. I have no plans to direct attach via HDMI, and I might do very rare Plex or direct download to a Tivo. I'm looking at 4-5 disks so I can get a decent RAID 5 setup.

I'm pretty familiar with ZFS, but I've never built a PC from scratch and I don't really want to deal with too much sysadmin work (I do enough for $DAYJOB).

I was looking at the QNAP product line, and was trying to choose between the TS-563, TS-453A, TS-531P, and the TS-451+. Any experience or advice for me?

I haven't used QNAP products myself but I can tell you that Synology devices will meet all of your needs. I haven't followed the current models very in depth but I'd recommend checking on specs and user experiences if you go with the "j" models (lowest in the tier hardware-wise).

If you also want a mix between off the shelf and easy build your own, I'd look into XPEnology too. Basically the Synology OS running on PC hardware.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jik Waffleson posted:

HP Microserver just requires you to insert disks and memory DIMMs (both the older and newer variety support up to 16GB with good DIMMs, although the Gen8 can't fit more than 4 disks since it has a slimline ODD), as the CPU is soldered onto it - then you can install your favorite appliance NAS OS ( examples include but aren't limited to FreeNAS/NAS4Free, xpenology, or OpenMediaVault) and be up and running in a few hours at the most.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Jik Waffleson posted:

I have a TS-251. I have enjoyed it for the most part. My biggest complaint that it is limited to the software that is available for it. I think I would have been better off rolling in my own NAS because I like to tinker (and make things more difficult). However, for simple media storage it works great and there are some nice applications for the phone and tablet to access the NAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
The N54L was big for a while for small freenas solutions, and I have one, it's fantastic, problem is HP don't make them anymore from what I can tell. What is the new solution everyone is using these days in place of the N54L?